Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Gonz posted:

What exactly IS going on in those scenes?

You wouldn't believe it if I told you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Gonz posted:

I just read the entire synopsis for Lifeforce.

I need to see this movie.

Lifeforce is the most bananas film you'll ever see that's not trying to be wacky or out there. It's earnestly ridiculous. It's so mad that months after you see it, it'll be a haze of ridiculous and impossible imagery that makes no sense. It looks extremely 80s in that drop-off-into-black kind of way and and the cheap film stock has a kind of documentarian feel about it sometimes, especially in the steets at the end.

The fact that the cast can keep a straight face is actually sort of amazing.

It's by no means a a good film, but it does deserve watching. Once.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 8, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
In terms of posters we have up, mine is endlessly predictable, but I've always loved this one. Mostly for the tagline; it's bold and incredulous - but delivered completely deadpan, and it nails the tone of the film.

I also enjoy the dark softness of the poster, the lack of the heroic stance, etc.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Dick Trauma posted:

Movie poster:

Woah, this is crazy pretty.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

joedevola posted:

I've never heard this tagline, it's pretty good.

What the gently caress I need this oh my god it's beautiful gently caress

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It's a beautiful screencap from a beautiful film. It's

A) a million times better than the awful original poster, where it's clear what they were going for but missed the mark by a mile by hiring a budget artist

B) a billion times better than the Kinkade-esque Drew Struzan sub-Star Wars Final Cut cover art.

"Lazy" has nothing to do with it. It's a stupid term. Does the poster need to do 20 push ups or something?

It's a good visual. I'm mostly bored of 'clever' or graphic design heavy films. The poster nails the tone perfectly. That's what it's supposed to do. It might well be a screencap for the film, but that's fine, because the film itself is a work of art. The light, the grain, the tone, it's all there.

Pfft, "lazy".

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

:negative:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
As an aside, that image/graphic of the car comes up in fan art/posters loads. It's a trace of a photo of a friends car that I took in a field in Derby about 10 years ago. I can always spot it because of the profile and that it copies all the wrong pipes on the back.

(doesn't make the poster any worse, just makes me laugh)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
How did his glasses get there?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Ironically that colour scheme DOES appear in the film for a bit, but in the 1950's. But I'm sure that they didn't pick up on that and were going for a Drive scheme instead.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This one:

quote:

Has to be a joke. HAS to be.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
:smug:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
:golfclap:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It brings to mind GTA - the first, 90's ones.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

The thing that takes this from irritating to infuriating is that the logo is wrong. The "broken apart" logo appeared well after Ghostbusters came out, in something like the late nineties.

So even as a sperg-tastic remeber-every-detail-inside-joke reference, this stupid piece of poo poo fails. It actually manages to fail in every possible way.

I mean, if it was a really big Twinkie, at least it'd be a lovely reference, but it's not even that.

edit: also, it's not even slanted enough to evoke the No-Ghost logo that it's clearly trying to with that coffee stain.

You got almost everything - you missed the grey of the flightsuits as the backing colour.

(I made it as a joke; the coffee ring was a happy accident. Was going to take the crumpled paper thing to it's ridiculous conclusion but that 'worked' better)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

So, congrats on totally tricking me... by... making something terrible?

It was just a joke, really. I reckon it can go toe-to-toe with the other terrible ones in here.

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

It gives us a nice little peak that these three have been friends a long time, and that there's old jokes shared between them, reenforced by a closeup reaction shot of Ray grinning.

I don't even think that it's "Ray" grinning in that scene, it's all Dan. One of the many many reasons I love that film is how comfortable chucking in a casual little joke like that which tells you so much. I can't think of a modern film that wouldn't make more of a thing of it, or over explain it, or even use it at all.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Noxville posted:

The less said about the Aliens one, the better.

I actually groaned out loud when I saw that. 'sake.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Pick Hard posted:

John Hurt is faster than a speeding train.

I haven't laughed that hard in a while. It'd be less funny if it were anyone other than John Hurt.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
This is pretty amazingly good.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That poster appears to be trying to ride the Prometheus train quite a bit.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Kikka posted:

At the speed they're implied to be going they'll fly out the door.

I think that's the least of the collective issues.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Alicia Witt :(

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Their business model isn't great, I'll give you that.

But people in here see a Mondo poster and go "UGH LOOK AT THIS UGLY PIECE OF poo poo" and while yes, some are ugly pieces of poo poo, they dismis the good ones just as easily, and there are some loving good ones. I wouldn't have bought their Mummy poster if it wasn't loving beautiful.

both sides are forgetting subjectivity and something something beholder

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Is that Mike from Breaking Bad? If so... sold.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Vintersorg posted:

Which means there is no mystery to this movie - nothing new to see here, it's the same poo poo updated with a garbage skin.

I guess it also gives away that the film features some kind of 'robot cop', just like the first.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
That's what everyone said about Dredd.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The art direction for Robocop actually looks fine, unless you specifically mean Robo's armour (which lets face it, thats what most of the complaints are about), in which case you have to accept it's dealing with a contemporary aesthetic. That was always the point.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
There's every chance Robocop will suck for the reason most films suck, but I see more promise than not in the trailer. Steve Jobs Keaton is casting of the year as far as I'm concerned.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Oh my god those are amazingly awkward.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How is this the result of "a while" of work? What the hell have you been doing? Franco looks okay but both women look like they were just cut and pasted from low res files taken from the internet.

Post on the film, not the poster, presumably.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
It's got the Citroen, so I'm happy.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
How big a role does Bob Peck have?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
By no means is any of that pixelated

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Daryl Hannah and Tim Russ? Oh man.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Found footage Jim Jones movie, yes.

I find myself asking "is this necessary" and then another part of me argues "why does it need to be" and then the first part of me thinks "no, it really needs to be necessary". I have a problem with the idea of this film and I don't really know why?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well, he's not ACTUALLY Jim Jones. Frankly it's one of the natural fits for the motif, the three best known things about Jonestown are: TV footage intended for air in the US with creepy poo poo going on in the periphery, the shootout on the airstrip and a 2 hour+ long audio recording of a mass suicide.

I just sort of feel that the footage is already out there - it happened, it was documented, it was very real. Any take on it sensationalises it, and maybe I don't mean 'demeans' it but it does kind of demean it - the audio file out there is full of real, tangible, human emotion, a dramatisation or even a derivative work like this just seems surplus to sum human requirements. It's an odd position to take which I wouldn't normally, but something about this kinda bugs me.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The Tourist was so hatefully, hatefully bad.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

sassassin posted:

This is nice.

But pointless. If you're going to trace the nicest image from the film, just use the nicest image in the film.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Vintersorg posted:

Oh, are we hurting her feelings? Who cares you big loving baby! If people do not like the way that actress looks they are perfectly in the OK to say whatever. Her eyes are wider than normal and it throws people off. Maybe she does look like an alien.

Put down your shield white knight.

Please stop being such a phenomenally lovely poster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Because it's the greatest city on earth.