Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Another Ealing/Guinness:

While the overall outcome is not a spoiler to anyone who's seen the first five minutes, it's still bizarre that the hows of it are spoiled. That said, Kind Hearts and Coronets is more about the poetry of the script (and how well Dennis Price sells it) than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Teenage Fansub posted:

I like Man on the Moon, but the performance wasn't so transformative that I buy the whole stuck in method thing. I'm sure it was mostly a put-on to generate publicity for the movie, and they just didn't happen to use the behind the scenes footage at the time.

Carrey attempted during filming to make it seem like he had become Kaufman. He and Jerry Lawler staged a fight, a la the famous Lawler-Kaufman fight on Letterman. Carrey also tried to make people on the set think he had totally believed he was Andy Kaufman.

But since it was 1996 and not the early 1980s and everybody knew that it was all movie hype.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Looking through some old newspaper archives. It's fun to watch the local drive-in go from family friendly stuff (a day of Elvis films, James Bond) to smutty. I looked up a few of the titles and here are the more interesting posters.

Nurse Sherri

Without A Stitch

Chrome and Hot Leather

Tender Flesh

The Girl From Starship Venus

And a double bill of Capital [sic] Hill Secretaries and Congressional Playgirls. Can't find a poster of the former or a good one of the latter, which was also apparently known as Penthouse Playgirls. Note: These played at about the same time one of the city's theaters was airing All the President's Men.

I think the biggest surprise, though, was seeing an ad in the classy downtown theater for Peter Walker's The House of Whipcord.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 11, 2018

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

There better be at least one promotional thing that mentions the name of the boat was Monkey Business.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Were back-page headlines with fonts bigger than the front-page headlines a thing back then?

No. Nor did they have the banner on the back page.

And for a very nerdy gripe, very few papers were six columns like the mock-up. Most were 7-8 columns, much more jammed together. The mock-up is based is the modern New York Times, but set in the 1950s without actually seeing what the NYT looked like back then.

(Just noticed that like the mock-up in the poster, this is the New York Times on the main day of the Mount Everest coverage.)

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 3, 2019

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always thought both Howard brothers had the same problem. Cute kids, but age beat the poo poo out of them. But it turns out that Clint was always tragically ugly.

Don't insult Leon.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Vargo posted:

I've been watching a lot of The Andy Griffith Show lately for a podcast and this seems pretty true of most scripted TV in the 1960s. I think there were a lot of rules about content (what you couldn't say or show) but absolutely no rules on editorial/style - plus a lot of writers had been taken from radio and no one really knew/had standards for writing for television yet. Plus, they weren't writing to be re-watched or binged, the idea of syndication was still brand new, so they thought they were creating something mostly ephemeral, making continuity a secondary priority. Plus, as previously mentioned, a lot of it was just "what studio resources can we get this week?"

The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 1: A little boy is sad because his new caretaker doesn't know how to play stickball.
The plot of Andy Griffith Show Episode 2: There is an escaped convict prowling through the woods outside Mayberry, there is a state-wide manhunt for his arrest, he has stolen an officer's gun and he is taking hostages, and only Andy has the knowledge of local landmarks that can take him down.

Upstairs, Downstairs ran in the UK (and worldwide) in the 1970s. It wasn't initially written to be shown in reruns, but was written meticulously as there were still many people still alive from its timeframe - roughly 1905-30 - and it wanted to be accurate as possible.

It also had to handle a small budget. It was rare to have all the main characters in a single episode. Besides money, many had theatrical and other commitments. Before any episodes were written each year, the showrunners came up with episode topics and characters to be used in them, based on who was available. The show rarely went outdoors because of budget constraints. There was a whole season about World War I and not a single battlefield was seen as it instead focused on the homefront.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I sometimes come across this in newspaper archives.

The original title was A Modern Marriage and it was released in 1950. Didn't stop someone from adding some scenes with non-original cast later. This thing was still kicking around the second rate circuit in 1967, usually in a twinbill with B-grade horror films.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

King Ralph chat: I have seen it. All I recall is the accident that left Ralph heir.

Other random stuff I remember seeing as a kid:

Care Bears Movie II: A New Generation

Savannah Smiles

Follow that Bird

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Scanning through the TV listings, I came across this:

Apparently this is WWJDII: The Woodcarver as there apparently was a WWJD movie.

I'm just giggling at the thought of Cliff Clavin being, well, good at anything besides random bar trivia and slacking off. There's no way Cliff could build anything, much less skillfully.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

They should instead film the sequel novel to 101 Dalmatians, The Starlight Barking.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Davros1 posted:

Holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/willscot55/status/1400562179980644352?s=20

None of those images are from the movie; the character on the right/bottom ISN'T in the film. There isn't anything resembling him in the film. Also, the film was made in the early 70s.

Nor is really an interesting film. You might think you want to see Ed Asner in a wrestling film because you think it might be corny chaos. It's just boring.

The highlights are the wrestlers who show up, such as a young Dusty Rhodes and an even younger, dark-haired Ric Flair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Where I live had a couple of drive-ins, one that lasted into the early 1980s. Going through archives of the paper, it was certainly something to watch it go from family-friendly, with a lot of Disney films, to essentially softcore by the end of the 1970s. This was the rural southern US, so a bit surprising.

Checking some scans I have, there was a doublebill of Flesh Gordon and Cinderella 2000 in 1979.