Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cartoon Man posted:

Its like the Kirk vs Gorn scene in Stark Trek.

"These are the voyages of the Starship Westeros. Its five-year mission: to explore strange sexual practices; to seek out new ways of putting gratuitous nudity on the TV; to boldly come where no man has come before!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The_Rob posted:

How could you not want a Baz Lurhman film in 3d?

I don't want a Baz Luhrmann film at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Shanty posted:

Then the 3D don't really enter into it, do it.
Anyway, the 3D should work really well at the lavish Gatsby parties, making everything pop a little more. Given the subject material, I'm not sure how you can be opposed to that regardless of director.

I wouldn't have wanted to see a movie based on F. Scott Fitzgerald no matter who the director was, but I'm entirely content to accept that it exists. Baz Luhrmann, on the other hand, is perhaps the most pretentious twat in the history of cinema and it saddens me to see the movie world salivating on his cock whenever he releases yet another identikit colour-saturated wankfest. You are, of course, free to have your own opinion on this, but speaking personally I hate him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

kiimo posted:

Yeah there's no way they would allow that kind of camel toe.

I only saw the pig's head.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Also, new poster for Looper. It's a teaser poster for the UK.

Have you tried calling the mobile number scratched on the door?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BARONS DEF CHARGER posted:

THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER. THAT GUN IS FIVE GUNS. THERE ARE 14 GUNS, TWO EXPLOSIONS AND TWO BURNING CARS.

And it co-stars the T-1000. The mind boggles.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Does anybody else feel like this would work ten times better if they had shown Gandalf's back instead of his face?

Are you by any chance familiar with David Wenzel's illustrated adaptation?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Also Ultraviolet which everyone should watch.

That's Ultraviolet the UK TV series, not Ultraviolet the bad movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Red Pyramid posted:

Particularly the old not being able to understand Bane nonsense, which makes me think he either hasn't actually seen the trailers or has some sort of ear infection.

He was incomprehensible in the first few teasers and clips. If you've not been to the cinema in a few weeks you could be forgiven for that one. And let's face it, someone who hasn't seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Warrior or Inception has not been to the cinema enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

And getting back on topic,

I honestly can not make heads or tails of this mess. What the hell is going on in this poster?

Milla Jovovich is shooting guns. As this is a good summary of the entire Resident Evil movie franchise, I don't see why you need to know more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Lobok posted:

I get adding someone younger, but surely there is a youngish actor out there who's done a bit more rear end-kicking. He was in Hunger Games but didn't do anything. Hell, Jennifer Lawrence would have made a better addition.

Edit: Lawrence, not Laurence. She's not Morpheus' daughter.

Morpheus' daughter isn't a Laurence either, because Laurence is not her father's surname.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Apparently the Total Recall poster posted earlier wasn't an official one or something, I don't know.

This one just came up.

I actually quite like this one for its implications. Is everything in the movie inside Quaid, or not?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

TheJoker138 posted:

What I want to know is who's hand that is on the far right.

What I want to know is who any of those people are, and why I should give a poo poo about a movie with them in it. It's sort of the point of movie posters, I'm told.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dillbag posted:

According to the link he's part of the Irish coven, whatever the gently caress that means.

It means everything about Twilight is loving terrible and we should really stop talking about it before some poor unfortunate goon decides he will go see the movie "just to see if it's as stupid bad as it looks and so I can laugh at it :drac:" and we are forced to care for the drooling shattered ruin of a man that returns for the rest of our lives.

I used to joke about Twilight, asking what series of books could be so popular that even its lovely fanfic was being published and turned into movies - implying that Twilight was the lovely fanfic, of course. Now there is Fifty Shades of Grey, and it's not a joke any more. :smithicide:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That one's incredible. I almost cried from laughing so hard the first time I heard it.

There's also this one of Jon St. John (Duke Nukem) reading it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUa-3W0BFI

This is turning into The Eye of Argon for the modern age, isn't it?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I appreciate that the poster looks really good, but I'm surprised goons are fawning over Lady Gaga having an acting debut. I mean I liked her first album too (second not so much, way too typical) but do we have any proof this is gonna work out well in any way?

It can't be all bad. She won't be singing.

Probably.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The future of bore enforcement. Teaser posters are always a waste of time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mr. Squishy posted:

According to the man himself, Larson had an idea of a dog, having finally caught a car, howling in triumph atop it's flipped corpse. Next, in an attempt to be a proper cartoonist, he researched what the underside of a car looks like and drew in a gear-box, bulging out underneath the dog. Then it was published, and he found out he drew a dog loving a car.

There was a similar cartoon in MAD many years ago where a couple in a car are being chased by a dog. One of the two wonders what the dog would do if it caught the car, and the other says "Well, why don't you stop and find out?" Move to next panel: "Well, now we know. I guess we'd better find a car wash."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

Occasionally it's due to SAG regulations. I'd imagine there are obscure actors with SAG credits who already have those names sans middle names.

Often more obscure than the actors who follow them, too. Maurice Mickelwhite discovered that to his dismay, and changed his name entirely to use part of his surname and the title of his favourite movie. Still, "Michael Caine" sounds better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

Here is the original poster for More American Graffiti:

An ironic tagline, considering most people don't remember that American Graffiti had a sequel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Isn't Castle in its 4th season?

"Failed or sucked" implies there are alternatives to failing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Glamorama26 posted:

I know there had to be a day on set where Clooney in full costume looked at himself in the mirror and thought "Uh oh."

He mostly thought of the paycheque, from what I hear. Meanwhile, everyone watching wondered why that nice old butler had run up a skintight rubber costume for his niece and put nipples on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

axleblaze posted:

So I was looking to see if the a movie I liked at this years Sundance had a release date yet. While it appears not to it does have a poster. Look at this thing...just look at it:

:allears:

Traci Lords got a top billing? This may be a must-see.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dawn of the Dead was also a subtitle in some territories.

Also Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl. Maybe Curses are exempt from the rule?

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Aug 2, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

56k posted:

That gun though. Man, that's a lame gun.

It fires high explosives, heatseeking rounds and bullets designed for deflection shots, and is called the Lawgiver. That is all you need to know.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

HoldYourFire posted:

Boy are you going to look stupid when the movie's technobabble implies that the time-travel process mirrors every molecule in your body like in that Arthur C Clarke short story!

And by Arthur C Clarke you of course mean HG Wells, who beat Clarke to it by about 50 or 60 years.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jasta posted:

I still think my favourite Will Ferrell role was as a member of SNL.

I still think Will Ferrell is the end product of the project to clone Chevy Chase.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rondette posted:

Well huh....

Different light source but very definite same picture.

Are you saying that Bruce Willis's head looks exactly the same when pictured from the same angle? My God! Who would believe it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

It's pretty adorable when Gerard Butler has to hide his accent for a role. He tries his best but he's just so darned bad at it.

Solomon Kane is the best one for that, because he really didn't try. "Oi must foight evil whoile speaking in a thick Devon aaccent. It is a proice oi will glaadly pay!"

Dave Prowse speaks the same way. Oh, to have been a fly on the wall of the Star Wars set. "You 'ave failed me for the laast toime."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I know this isn't much but it definitely gets me pumped for that movie :flashfap:

(I also enjoyed the trailer too, so I think I'm gonna dig this remake. Reboot. Whatever the hell it is.)

What are you talking about? This is the first Dredd movie. There was some talk of Stallone doing one in the mid-90s, but thankfully it never happened.

Everyone needs to be pumped for Dredd. Alex Garland has said that if it's successful enough they're going to follow up with The Cursed Earth and The Dark Judges, and that just has to be done. (Spoiler is for grexnixes non-2000AD readers.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Payndz posted:

EDIT: just realised that the UK poster for Dredd has him in a more or less identical pose to the iconic splash page from 'America', where he's standing with his boot on the bloodied body of a person draped in the stars and stripes and the caption "Justice has a price. The price is freedom."

For the benefit of those who have not read it, here are two of the most perfect pages in comic history:

God, they should hire Colin MacNeil to do a painted poster for this movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Talks To Cats posted:

A quick search on IMDB tells me that "Kidnapped" hasn't been taken by anything relevant recently

Apart from the classic Robert Louis Stevenson novel, with which Nic Cage's producers probably don't want to get confused.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Luckluster posted:

Yes I'd like to order one bespoke blue tuxedo. We'll be overnighting a mannequin torso over for the fitting.

Good description of the casting process for Craig as Bond there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's about six weeks back, I'd forgotten it. I have to say though, Vera Farmiga's dress pattern is really unfortunate in that position:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OnlyJuanMon posted:

See? We'll always be friends, you and I.

Last Crusade blows. It takes all the edgy darkness out of the franchise, and is instead replaced with PG hijinks.

It's just Spielberg pussing out after Temple of Doom (The best Indy movie) was deemed "too dark."

Instead of melting faces and hearts being ripped out, we get a tongue in cheek Hitler joke.

Ah, but that was no ordinary Hitler. It was Michael Sheard, and he was the best of men. Everything that has Michael Sheard in it is better than anything comparable that does not, solely because he was in it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cage posted:

I really wanted to find this and Im glad I did. You can see the bad lines where they pasted Rays head on a thinner mans body, and Colm just looks hilarious. I bet he wasnt even wearing a hat for that picture.

I wonder why they felt the need to introduce Louise Redknapp? She was famous as a pop singer before she married a footballer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm torn. The classic poster is vague and mysterious, while this poster actually shows what makes this film worth seeing.

The classic poster is about thirty billion times better than that piece of poo poo, even before you consider that said POS gives away both the money shot and the big surprise of the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Humboldt squid posted:

Wow, it's easier to count the covers that don't have a scantily clad woman being murdered than the ones that do.

That's not exactly surprising, given that it's easier to count the movies that don't have at least one scantily clad woman being murdered than the ones that do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DKWildz posted:

Managed to get the non variant "What's Opera Doc", but the other two sold out in under a minute, as usual.

Why, for the love of God? Every Mondo poster I've ever seen has been the most pretentious and downright loving ugly thing imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

I've never seen Drive, is it really as awful as all those terrible, pretentious posters make it look?

Yes. It's also as awful as all those terrible, pretentious posters say it isn't.

Seriously: it's beautifully directed, but you can simulate watching the movie by staring at the (real) poster for 90 minutes. Goons like it because a guy gets his head stomped into paste, and because that guy from Breaking Bad is in it.