Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jack's Flow posted:

Speaking of posters, I was very surprised when I walked past a local movie theater and saw Rooney Mara's tits on the poster for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Didn't expect that at all.

You mean the one with exposed nipples? Where do you live where they've got that poster hanging up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

scary ghost dog posted:

The nippled Dragon Tattoo poster is hanging up here in Charleston, South Carolina, but I don't think anyone's noticed it.

I'm kind of shocked that they even distributed that posted in the US. I'd have figured that poster hung up in a theater would have lasted all of a day before somebody started complaining.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The first trailer I saw for this actually looked pretty interesting up until the end. Getting super powers and loving with people in several different ways is totally cool, but making a lovely driver drive off the road simply will not fly! Then the guy's friends all think he's evil and should be stopped or something?

They were all being dicks with their powers. He wasn't the only one.

Yes, scaring a girl in a toy store is the same as causing a potentially fatal auto accident! I can't see any difference between those things at all. :rolleyes:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Handsome Dead posted:

I knew it wasn't real because no studio would bank on a choker like Fillion.

Choker?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

They cast Depp as a Native American?

Woooooboy.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

It's easy to tell that that's not a Tim Burton thing because there's no white makeup on anything.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That's a really weird poster for a Superman movie.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Vegetable posted:

That's not the trend.

This is.

If that's the criteria, then that Battleship and Battle:LA don't fit either.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The more I look at that Moss poster, the more I like it. The small size of the photo doesn't do it any favors but I bet it'll look quite nice in a proper poster size. Sauron's tower is the handle for Narsil, and the blade is the space between cliffs.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Alec Eiffel posted:

They're ugly, low effort, and marred by terrible production "effects"

Do you have a stroke when you walk down the DVD isle in a store?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

live with fruit posted:

Why not have the claws out on the hand holding the sword?

That would be a safety hazard.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

TheJoker138 posted:

I looked at her wiki and she's 20. Every girl in this is over 20, so all the "ew this is so gross!" about it in this thread is the weirdest thing. Former Disney stars of both genders doing something "edgy" to break out of that "good girl/boy" image is not at all a new thing, and these women are doing it at a later age than usual (Brittney Spears being something like 16 in the Hit Me Baby One More Time video, for instance).

The implication that somebody is looking forward to a girl turning legal age so they can oogle/wank to them is loving creepy. Hope this helps clear things up for you!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

That's... kind of a good poster. Those are minimally photoshopped pics of the leads. Making it look like google's webpage immediately evokes what this is going to be about.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mister Chief posted:

Mondo posters have never cost hundreds of dollars new. That ET poster is $45 and the Jaws poster is $60.

They essentially do cost that much, since you have a window of about 30 seconds tops to buy them "retail" prices before they're only available from flippers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a poster that speaks to people who have already seen the movie. That stuff is usually lovely because it's fan posters, not anything else.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Young Freud posted:

Since we were talking a week or two ago about people doing Vallejo or Franzetta "maximalist" poster to counter all the minimalist fan posters, I've been thinking about doing just that. Currently, the only one I can think of is Office Space, but what would anyone else want to see as some "muscle and tits fantasy art" rendition of a movie?

You've got Mail - the Hanks/Ryan version.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Holy poo poo, you mean these fictional characters aren't exact analogues of real world magicians?!?!?!?!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Aatrek posted:

It's the ship at warp.

The effect is all wrong though, as the motion lines on the poster make it look like the ship is flying backwards, away from the viewer.

I'm sure there's a good technobabble reason to explain it though!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Not that it matters for what is primarily an attractive visual presentation, but an object passing you traveling faster-than-light will actually (given certain assumptions about the possibility of such objects existing) create a blurred version of the object appearing to retreat once it has gone by. See the illustration below of a tachyon passing an observer, where the dim sphere is the FTL object and the blue and red shapes are distortions of the sphere appearing to retreat in opposite directions.

Since when have Star Trek and Science ever really hung out together? Sure they pretend to be friends but Star Trek is a real dick when the chips are down.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

The nice thing about those is while they're nostalgia bait, they're also somewhat evocative to an uninformed viewer. Of course, the problem is 2 of the 3 don't really evoke the right feeling.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Pablo Gigante posted:

That actually sounds pretty interesting, maybe I should read those drat books

Don't expect a lot. They're young adult tripe with some interesting themes.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Yeah, what was up with that - how did that get greenlit?

One of the showrunners did that title sequence on a laptop in his hotel room as a guide but they just used it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Suzuki Method posted:

Can you show nipples on posters these days?

Yes, since posters/teasers aren't just hung up in theaters and subways anymore.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

What the hell? Why are they wielding handguns?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Red Pyramid posted:

What does this even mean?

He means the trope of the villain getting caught, and it turns out getting captured was a vital part of his plan (whereupon he hacks the gibson/makes a masterful escape). Bonus trope points if the good guy's leader pitches a hissy fit saying "he did this RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES", or if the good guys were dumb enough to put some vital macguffin in the same building as the supervillian.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Zzulu posted:

I always wanted to see how they edited posters before Photoshop or similiar programs were around

Composite photography. Basically a manual version of photoshop layers.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Tewratomeh posted:

He's trying to pass himself off as a Master Troll here, but deep down he's a bitter, broken man. Fame chewed him up and shat him out, and now he's a hollow, dried-out turd.

Who's richer than any of us will ever be.

I'm sure he's drowning in misery by his heated pool.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really don't get the marketing campaign for this movie. The previous one made a ton of cash and showed a lot more things on the posters that screamed 'Star Trek'. This time around I've seen a grand total of one poster with even one shot of the Enterprise. It's all very surprising, but it does make me wonder if someone believes this movie is somehow a tough sell? I don't get it.

Star Trek fans will go see this regardless of the teaser poster. By minimizing the name and classic imagery, they're hoping to rope in some people that might not otherwise see it.

Besides, not every Star Trek poster needs to be a beauty shot of the ship.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ez posted:

Hey guys I made a fan poster, what do you think?

Selling 10 exclusive prints, $120 + Shipping.

Needs crinkled paper effect.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dillbag posted:

I don't know which is worse.

The idea that Cowboy Bebop needs to be live action.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Ariza posted:

Lucky, I only found this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU0kjZJzb5w

Someone remade Toy Story in it's entirety in Spanish with their own toys?

Somebody did it, and then somebody took it and redubbed in Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G0j_Huv2Fg

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Slate Action posted:

Obscuring the title of the film: always a good idea!

What's even funnier is it's painfully obvious how easy it would be to avoid that.

You could literally put the H A S in the center three pillar voids, then leave the other two pillar voids empty for spacing.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

5 minutes:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

KinkyJohn posted:

I drew some Lebowski character posters in a very specific style:

That image might actually make a good movie poster if you just added the title.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

lelandjs posted:

There's an intern in Redmond laughing his rear end off right now. Brilliant.

What am I missing? Why would somebody be laughing?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Okay. Watched the trailer.

Holy poo poo that looks bad.

It's this generation's attempt at Porky's/American Pie/etc.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Jedit posted:

If only there was a sequel to Working Girl.

Working Girler?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Guess what both of those look like.

You didn't see the superimposed gif where the body outline is essentially identical? There's a difference between imitating an iconic pose and flat out tracing somebody else work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Both homages are really boring and unimaginative.

You're loving blind if you don't recognize the Mondo poster traced Ross' piece directly.