Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Also the hammer handle looks really wonky and he's holding it backwards which is very distracting

Also this is a really good OP

Also also also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Those are incredible, I particularly loved:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Was looking to see if The Hunt for Red October had 5.1 sound, I have the old DVD:

Here's the new cover:

Blugh, it looks like a direct-to-DVD movie now

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
...and Rip Torn. Sigh.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
and it says it was a joke too

everybody, come on in, pile on jojoinnit, noted example of poor graphic design

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I saw these in the theater before Casa de mi Padre, I loathe these atrocious taglines:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Vagabundo posted:

And to bring us all back down to earth, take a gander at this piece of poo poo.

What the gently caress is this bullshit

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
There's also the Washington Nationals' bullpen reading lines from 50 Shades of Grey: video

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
oh hey I found another cool poster

I like how it gives you an adventure vibe but still makes it seem pretty dark, which Raiders is (especially compared to the others)

Kramjacks posted:

Wasn't that Michael Bay?

now that's a poster

Handsome Dead posted:

I also get the same creepy vibe I got from Inglourious Basterds when watching them; particularly Raiders' melting Nazis scene. Knowing Speilberg went on to work on some of the most famous serious WWII projects and he supposedly took a Hitler jibe in such bad taste that he got rid of Megan Fox, I wonder if he watched the dailies of the Ark opening with a big, Eli Roth grin.

from Ebert's Great Movies thing (there's a lot more than this, it's a pretty good insight into the movie):

Ebert posted:

We know how deeply he feels about the Holocaust. We have seen "Schindler's List" and we know about his Shoah Project. Those are works of a thoughtful adult. "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is the work of Spielberg's recaptured adolescence, I think; it contains the kind of stuff teenage boys like, and it also perhaps contains the daydreams of a young Jewish kid who imagines blowing up Nazis real good. The screenplay is by Lawrence Kasdan, based on a story by Philip Kaufman, George Lucas and an uncredited Spielberg, whose movie is great fun on the surface -- one of the classic entertainments -- and then has a buried level.

Nazis were favorite villains of Saturday serials, prized more for their costumes and accents than for their evil beliefs. Spielberg here makes manifest their values, and then destroys them: "Raiders of the Lost Ark" has all the qualities of an exuberant serial, plus a religious and political agenda. That Spielberg places his message in the crevices of the action makes it all the more effective. "Raiders" may have an impersonal superstructure, but its foundations are personal, and passionate.

I make these points to place it more firmly in the mainstream of Spielberg's work, since "Raiders" is widely enjoyed but just as widely dismissed as something Spielberg tossed off between more important films. It comes between "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial," films Kael compared to "a boy soprano singing with joy." That voice couldn't be heard in "Raiders," she felt. I think I can hear it: not singing, but laughing, sometimes with glee, sometimes in triumph.

Xenophon fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 19, 2012

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

When did Indy have a mustache?

His facial hair is pretty dark in some scenes, probably because of the lighting or Harrison Ford was too lazy to shave that day

and on the full size poster you can tell he's just lookin' a bit scruffy

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Lance Streetman posted:

Saw this variant in a local pawn shop:

How come the story and direction is by RZA but the screenplay is by The RZA

I cannot unsee this

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
The concept of a movie poster just being "Look at all this poo poo that was in the movie! Radical! Look!" is the same no matter how big or small the poster is

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The Modern Leper posted:

You could literally make the tag line "I dreamed a dream..." with that Cossette image, and you'd be set. Everyone knows that title, everyone knows that song (thanks, Susan Boyle!), and I imagine a lot of people know that image (the original version, at least). Spend some money on television advertising for your plot points, and you've at least got the U.S. market sewn up.

Edit: Technologic

They kind of do this with one of the character posters I saw in a theater a week or two ago - everyone has a different tagline:

They're all here

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
For some reason it really bugs me that the Ring poem is in English at the bottom, and then BAM, better put it in the Elvish too. Just in case.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Don't you mean

HOUSE
  HAUSU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
It's Baz Luhrmann, the dude was born to make movies in 3D

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

And same movie same station.

This is incredible - tells you everything about the themes and style of the movie without making some stupid reference to a scene that you'd only get if you'd seen the movie.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Wait, isn't it 'twas? 'Twas brillig?

e: oh, they're saying that it is brillig? That the movie is brillig? Ugh.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Wendell posted:

Why is that ugh worthy? Because you were too dopey to get it?

yeah that's exactly why, thanks for pointing that out, where would I be without you :rolleyes:

e: dick

sorry I was too dopey to get that you were a dick at first, I figured it out though

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
That 42 poster is ridiculously eye-catching and infinitely more interesting than 98% of posters out there, I may be reading too much into this but I love how the unorthodox perspective matches the message of the tagline (and what Jackie/Rickey were doing to begin with). And it's just pretty to look at. I hate you even more, now, floating head posters.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
here I made a fun minimalist poster for all you fans out there

ok I didn't actually make it

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I wanna meet the man that put that tagline there and shake his hand

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I seriously thought they put his son on the poster twice for some weird reason when I first saw it

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Ocean's 14, starring Jesse Eisenberg

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
And without the filter most of these minimalist posters would look like they took about 15 seconds to whip up in MSPaint

of course, with the filter, they don't look much better, but I bet that's part of the motive

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Casablanca, framed with a matte. A lovely gift from my lovely girlfriend!

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

really, you're just reinforcing how fantastic a film this is

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
now I'm just imaging Leo-as-Gatsby-as-Pike slotted into various Star Trek scenarios

"A lot has changed in three hundred years. People are no longer obsessed with the accumulation of 'things'. We have eliminated hunger, want, the need for possessions."

*green light beeps twice*

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
I would rather have it grey than blue - an earlier poster said that the red would make sense if the movie were called Mars, and I think grey would really highlight the Moon aspects of Moon. If that makes sense.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

an adult beverage posted:

Those Oldboy posters are awesome. Although I'm sure by the time the release hits they'll be watered down floating heads.

undoubtedly, but until then,

I said goddamn

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Y'all can mock Heaven's Gate all you want, but it's still an awesome film :colbert:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Because Anchorman was poo poo?

Seriously, I think Will Ferrell is the 100% successful product of the Chevy Chase cloning program.

well I think you're poo poo, so there :colbert:

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Yes it is very hard to find anyone outside America who watches American movies and tv shows.

they also hate our music and bluejeans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

The MSJ posted:

More than that, this poster is actually quite terrifying. I'm uncomfortable just looking at it.

Yeah, this is minimalist for a very good, thematic reason, not just *random item from random scene* *crinkled paper filter*