Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's probably the Golgotha and it's probably Jesus up there dying.

Also was Judah taken to be sacrificed? Because that's the vibe I was getting from that.

What if the lamb was going to be slaughtered for the last supper and saving the lamb just denied Jesus and pals some delicious lamb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Desperado Bones posted:

I stole this from the Drive thread. I know it's fan made, but dear god...it deserves a special place here.

So Drive is that episode of Twilight Zone with the masks remade with cars and the 80s, then?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Sgt_Grumbles posted:

This is just so bad. Lens flare and gradient overlay GALORE!

I know that generic action heroes are pretty samey and tend to smear together in their blandness, but did anyone else think that this was Marky Mark and not Guy Pearce?

Also, Guy Pearce what happened to you? You were great in LA Confidential and Memento :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

I think this has been posted in here, but I'll do it again:

Something remarkably similar is on a Threadless t-shirt: http://www.threadless.com/product/373/Time_Fades

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Does anyone else get sort of an Enter The Void feeling from the Cosmopolis trailer? It's probably the names being all in neon and a bit in the soundtrack than anything seen in the trailer (besides sex, I guess), but that was my immediate reaction.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I can't help but read that title as "New York Minaret," and now I think that this super serious (presumably) action/drama (?) is a comedy based on Muslims in New York, like that Olson twins movie. I also get the feeling that that premise would somehow be less groanworthy than whatever this is.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This isn't a movie poster, but it is movie promotional material, and it is really loving weird. Here's uh, marketing for the Japanese Ringu sequel, Sadako 3D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mRRj6OdLjUM#t=86s

So like, in Japan, did the Ring movies become slapstick comedies?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Jasta posted:

Agreed. I've never played a Clock Tower game but I am tempted to now.

The first one on the SNES is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sKYxHiudCQ.

Still a really odd property to resurrect for a movie, and the shadowy figure of the Scissorman just sorta looks like a poor man's Michael Myers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So does the Punisher go after a snuff film ring or something in this movie?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

This poster manages to features Bats without him being to obstructive.

It's probably just me, but it took me a while to realize that that was a broken window, instead of some sort of weird Bat-Lightning Field.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

The new Red Dawn is the movie that was originally about a Chinese invasion, but after the movie was finished the producers realized that plot would alienate a huge potential market, so it was delayed for a year while they applied extensive CGI to change the invading for to North Korea, correct?

Isn't that what happened to the game Homefront? Unless it also happened with the new Red Dawn, in which case it's sorta funny that two groups made the same mistake and slapped on the same terrible band aid. Wonder how Red Dawn will justify North Korea having, uh, anything.

As an added bonus, here is Homefront's backstory, courtesy of Wiki:

quote:

The game's backstory begins during the early 21st century, with tensions between North Korea and global powers running high due to North Korea's military aggression, including its successful tests of nuclear weapons and the sinking of a South Korean ship.

In 2013, one year after the death of North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-il (which, incidentally, came in December 2011, several months after the game's release), his son and successor, Kim Jong-un, reunites North and South Korea to form the Greater Korean Republic (GKR). By 2015, a war between Iran and Saudi Arabia, both now nuclear-armed states, has devastated the global oil supply, causing prices to skyrocket. This precipitates extreme economic turmoil and massive social unrest in the U.S. Subsequently, in 2017, the U.S. military recalls much of its overseas presence, particularly in the Pacific. A year later, Japan is conquered by the GKR under the threat of full-scale war.

In 2022, conditions in the U.S. worsen with the collapse of the financial system and an Asian bird flu epidemic that claims millions of lives. In 2024, Korea continues its expansion by annexing most of Southeast Asia, including its emerging economic powers. A year later, the Korean superstate launches a supposed GPS satellite that is actually an orbital weapon. It detonates a high-altitude nuclear device over the U.S., creating an EMP burst that wipes out much of the nation's electrical infrastructure. In the ensuing chaos, the KPA launches an amphibious invasion that seizes control of Hawaii and much of the U.S. Pacific Coast. KPA paratroopers are deployed over the Midwest and, with the U.S. military severely crippled and scattered, are able to effectively divide the nation at the irradiated Mississippi River, placing the Western states under GKR occupation.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Red Letter Media did a review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVkALepgho. It seriously looks like something someone shot at home and somehow got widely distributed. Holy poo poo.

Roger Corman was the distributor, apparently.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

kiimo posted:

It's Taken...with money. Boom.

Wasn't this called Ransom?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

It kinda makes me wonder, if these things have such ridiculous demand (< 1 minute is pretty ridiculous demand), why don't they upscale the production? I know that it would cost more and all that, but I would assume that it costs less per additional unit, so they could potentially make a load more money? I'm no businessman, though, just someone trying to wonder why it is so hard to get these drat things.

Unless they're pulling an Eric Cartman and are intentionally making it hard to get to increase demand, in which case, well played.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Haven't seen this Pacific Rim poster posted yet:

I now sorta wonder what the tone of the movie will be, but hey, giant robot.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

404GoonNotFound posted:

Literally the Avengers with fairy tales. Jack Frost, the Sandman, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause team up to fight... something.

Because if you can't actually get any hot properties, go for the public domain!

I believe that something is The Boogeyman, or at least essentially the same concept. Poor villains, always getting ganged up on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

Has there ever been a good movie with the premise of "take an old fairy tale but make it badass?"

I'm not sure "badass" is how I would describe it, but The Troll Hunter is a pretty great movie.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Actually, was that one crazy still of him running in some kind of robot exoskeleton from this movie?

That has the rather unforgettable name All You Need Is Kill?

Edit: :argh:

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

his name and sci-fi means awesome.

I don't think many people have as optimistic a view of Scientology as you do.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I apparently have to rewatch The Fifth Element because I don't remember either of those scenes from the movie. I definitely don't remember a giant robot, and that seems like something that should be well remembered.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Why do planes keep falling around Nicolas Cage?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

kiimo posted:

Same team that did Cloud Atlas so... draw your own conclusions.

I haven't seen anything about Jack aside from the terrible posters posted here, but the five minute long Cloud Atlas trailer helped sell the movie to a lot of people (anecdotally), even if they hadn't read the book. Also, I imagine Cloud Atlas is inherently more difficult to sell due to the structure of the movie than a movie that is, ostensibly, about a dude who climbs a beanstalk and murders giants in their home. Or whatever they turned it into.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Tom Cruise movies should be marketed with a "Tom Cruise running : run time" ratio. Dude needs to make a movie about being an Olympic sprinter or something.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

They're all terrible, but they couldn't have at least set this, I dunno, in an attic? A house, at least?

What if the reason you shouldn't go into the attic is because it's a (haunted) graveyard? Like, a sort of reverse Poltergeist.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Madkal posted:

I feel like I have seen this poster before for another movie, but I can't remember what.

It reminded me of The Dark Knight, with Batman looking down on Gotham/into a window pane.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I feel as if I'll want all of these posters. Have there been any others in this series?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

ThatPazuzu posted:

Is there a Mexican wrestle in Bane's face? :psyduck:I mean, I know that's his original backstory but it makes no sense here.

All I see in Bane's mask is a dude pulling the front of a jacket in a sort of "ready to rock" kinda motion. Like I can very clearly make out hands in it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

So between cut fuckery with the likes of Snowpiercer and The Grandmaster, are the DVDs/blus likely to have the original cut or is this all we're ever going to get?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Yodzilla posted:

I'm just talking about the poster I have no idea about the movie but putting an Austin Powers reference front and center in 2013 is pretty drat dire. Also I can't imagine the mental gymnastics required to get Evil Kermit's hands to look like that.

This, and the fact that the trailer has a "character sings pop song poorly" bit in it. Segal's Muppets movie seemed sincere, this one just feels like a cash-in, but I'll be damned if Ty Burrell isn't perfect casting.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

On a related note, they got Kelsey Grammer before they got Michelle Rodriguez?

Michelle Rodriguez is on the good action star ensemble movie series.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Not a movie, but Game of Thrones is ramping up its marketing with a series of posters here: http://beautifuldeath.com/

All of the Episode Fan Art they have in addition is pretty horrible, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Gorilla Salad posted:

It also guarantees that I will never watch a second of it.

A minimalist poster that is just a black background with white text that says "Starring Chris Kattan" is enough to make not want to watch a second of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Just Offscreen posted:

I have no earthly idea how to respond to this.

Laughing seems pretty natural.

I have no idea what they were going for with those posters, though. Like, why are they explicitly making it a photo shoot? Are The Expendables stopping some sort of terrorist at a fashion show or something?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Cool As Ice with Ice-T

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Here's a Mike Mignola poster for Bride of Frankenstein that will sell out immediately because it's a Mondo poster (please do not derail about Mondo)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Is that article sarcastic when it calls it gorgeous? It is, right?

Red_Museum posted:

Another Horns poster

For some reason, I look at this and just think that Legend is about ripe for a reboot. I don't even think it's a bad poster, I'm just saying that the devil design in Legend was awesome. And Tim Curry.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Are those real? Because holy poo poo.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I thought the defining chapter of The Hobbit was when he got the ring?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

This just reminds me of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Whats with the second n? Is the name trademarked or something?

His parents wanted to make the name unique. Can't be just another Sandman, y'know.