Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fryhtaning posted:

Sumo, you never let me down.

Oh look, Aoiyama almost blows it with belt sumo, then tsupparis just in the nick of time. Idgi.

Seriously, you'd think by this point he's learn to stick to what works. Also, man this basho is drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Omnikin posted:

Is it bad I want to make plans to visit Japan in late 2015 just to see real live sumo? Not sure how the future wife would take that one

Not at all. Do it. If you enjoy sumo, do it. If you don't, do it anyway. It is a spectacle to behold. I'm lucky enough to have a connection that can get me 3rd row seats whenever I can afford to make it to Japan. I've had a rikishi or two in my lap over the years. Even from my time in the cheap seats, the atmosphere in the arena when Makuuchi bouts are happening is just sensational. Sure, being close is way better, but being there at all massively beats not going.

I get to go once every 18 months or so and my only regret is not going more often.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

How do you sit in the closer sections without your feet falling asleep?

They just do. I am not small, either, at 6'5" and just shy of 300 with bad knees. I suffer through it because it is worth it to me. I do go to the entire days as well, so for the most part I can stretch out a bit and no one cares. The later in the day it gets, though, they harder it is. I've just become used to it at this point and do what I can to keep myself as comfortable as possible. Plus, since I am huge, others in the section tend to give me a wide berth and are extra polite. I also tend to dress quite nice so they probably assume I am a businessman or something. I guess I've never really thought about it.

Funkysauce posted:

Yeah, seiza kills me in like 2 minutes, my knees are in shambles. I don't know how people sit like that. I'd have to go cross-legged then walk around or something.

I'd like to see live sumo one day as well. Is it a "one-ticket-all day" type thing? Or do you need tickets for each tier of competition?

I guess since I sit that way at home a lot (from years of living in Japan in a traditional house in a small town), my body isn't as brutalized by it as other Westerners would be. Also, the tickets I get are per-day, for the whole day. I'm sure if you wanted to buy a package for the whole tournament, you could, but I've never done that. My tickets just sort of happen to be there when I need them.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 28, 2014

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

That old dude in the front row (on the camera's side) was losing his poo poo during the Harumafuji match. The slow-mo shots of him during the replay were great.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

The image rollover change is hilariously bizarre.

I'm a bit disappointed it doesn't also change on rollover on the individual wrestler's pages, too. :(

As for the zabuton throwing, it is technically very against the rules of conduct to throw them but very few people get really up in arms about it. Though I do enjoy it immensely. It gives a sense of fanfare to the event of a Yokozuna being beaten. Like confetti but way better and also potentially injurious.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 23, 2014

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I just found out Osunaarashi was born in 1992 :stare:

God drat, I'm old. :(

Also, holy poo poo Day 13!

Funkysauce posted:

I also let out a big "WAAAAAOOOWWW".

I threw my hands in the air and had to stifle myself since I'm watching it at work and while my boss doesn't care, it would be poor form.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Plus, I'm sure they waited all day and wanted a yokozuna match that lasted longer than 0.83 seconds, like Kise vs Hakuho.

I've found it is more this than the henka. Generally, if you go for the whole day's matches (and you should because even the lower level guys deserve a crowd's encouragement) by the time the big matches come on at night, the anticipation is so high that people will genuinely feel ripped off if the bouts go short. Never mind it is a sport where the average match length isn't very long anyway, but this goes doubly-so if any perceived "short cut" is taken to end the match.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

He's hinted he is done after he gets past taiho. I dunno, we will see!

I have to think if he stays healthy and can continue to pump out 12+ wins and win 3 or 4 basho a year there's not much reason for him to quit unless he gets bored. Honestly, there are some exciting new guys coming up the ranks and a couple that have been around already that are sticking around that could be future challengers that he may want to prove himself against. He strikes me as the kind of person that won't stop until he feels like he's beaten everyone there is to beat.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Having watched a lot of Ichinjou's bouts before he got here, I'm not amazed but it is a little surprising he hasn't been beaten yet. He's such a stable wrestler that most of the tricks that work on other rookies don't take him down. Now whether that is because he is expecting them or whether he's just so balanced that upsetting him is difficult is tough to determine. Once he faces the higher ranked guys we'll get a true measure of his ability, I think. I wouldn't be surprised to see him hold his own all the way up to Endou.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

Speaking of old, what Kyokutenho's doing is amazing. Only one win away from a winning record at the age of 40. He's competing against wrestlers who weren't born when he started his career.

I keep wondering to myself how he's still going so well in such an unforgiving sport. I'm amazed his body hasn't broken down by now, but I hope he keeps going! I have to imagine if he ever wins a tournament again he'd retire after that. What better time to go out than at the top? Aside from that, I have no idea when he might go. I would guess a major injury that would require him to miss a tournament would do it.

Also, Ichinojo just loving with Kise was great, but man I would have loved to see him take him down without a stupid henka. Hilarious that Kise fell for it, though.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

net work error posted:

Ichinojo is just trolling all the way and it's great.

I love it. I can't even begin to describe how much I am loving this basho. I had to have my hands over my mouth the last couple of bouts to stop from yelling since I'm watching at work.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Funkysauce posted:

This.

I think when Hakuho lost Ichinojo was thinking, "I don't loving care about 'good sumo', I need to win today." Absolutely incredible. Maybe he intentionally jumped the gun to get Kakuryuu to overcommit?

It wouldn't surprise me. He basically did the same thing to Kise. Also, holy poo poo did the camera pan to Ichinojo super fast once Hakuho went down. And he never flinched. Stoic, stone faced monster he is.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

anakha posted:

I was rewatching the two Tochinoshin-Ichinojo bouts from the previous basho, and Ichinojo looks like he's very difficult to unbalance or move around while both feet are planted, but it's a completely different story once one foot leaves the ground.

Ikioi's win over Ichinojo this basho seems to bear that out.

This is what I meant earlier when I very poorly described Ichinojo as a stable wrestler.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Uncle Jam posted:

This tournament I also noticed Hakuho helping people up a lot, where as last time he was just fierce after his confrontation with the JSA. I wonder what's going on in the background.

I'm sure since the JSA sees the writing on the wall and know that it is almost impossible that he won't get the yusho record, they want him to be less of a hard-rear end so when he takes up the record they can parade him around in the media as a great(est?) competitor but still a respectful one. One willing to help his defeated opponent up and not give those little extra shoves he was growing accustomed to giving. And I'm sure some day the footage of him helping other wrestlers up will be juxtaposed with footage of the scowls and extra shoves and then used to show his "maturation" as a wrestler so that the JSA can rest easy in referring to him as the greatest of all time. And exploit the fact that the GOAT is currently competing against the future of the sport to push ticket and merchandise sales as well as drive advertising revenue up.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Good to see Amuru up there, too.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gibbo posted:

That's 10 years worth of 15-0 results.

Realistically, he's only 2(ish) year's worth of tournaments left to get 1000 at 8 wins per, which he seems capable of getting. He's still going ok and seems near indestructible so I have no doubt he could make it another 2 or 3 years if we so chooses (and his form holds up). I can't recall him being out for injury and he only had his run of consecutive appearances broken due to his suspension for driving. But he is also 40 but doesn't appear to be on the decline performance-wise. I'd hate to see him keep wrestling simply for the wins if he starts doing poorly consistently, though.

I do wonder what his retirement trigger will be, though, since his chance to succeed his stablemaster came and went and he's still wrestling. Likely falling into Juryo and not immediately making it back (or doing poorly in Juryo)?

He's also only 87 (I think) bouts behind Oshio for the career record and 45 behind Kaio for top-division record as well as 12 tournaments behind Kaio for the top-division record. And 147 total wins behind Kaio for that record as well.

This record-digging led me to learn that Hakuho is (hilariously) tied with himself for most wins in a calendar year with 86 out of 90.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 14, 2014

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Fryhtaning posted:

Yup, Goeido just didn't even give him a chance to get started. Aoi needs to watch some Akebono videos and learn how to smash face right off the line.

The Shohouzan bout has me wondering just how many rikishi have actually developed a defense against the tsuppari. Aoiyama and Shohouzan both do well every time they get it going. No one really employs the machine gun slaps anymore so I have to think it isn't an offensive style that gets much attention in practice.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gibbo posted:

What was tied to the envelopes for the Kisenosato Goeido match? It looked like a pair of arrows.

It was a pair of arrows. The third from last match on the final day of the tournament (also called the senshuraku) is always awarded the two arrows with the kenshokin envelopes. The second to the last match's winner is given a bowstring and the final match's winner is given a bow.

This all goes back to when the Emperor would award a bow and arrows to the winner of his personal tournament. Supposedly, one time the winner of the tournament did some fancy twirling of the bow. This led to the bow (albeit string-less) ceremony that gets performed by the yumitorishiki, who is now the stand-in for reception of the bow on the final day.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, when the monoii happened (and with the subsequent rematch call), I actually gasped and started breathing heavily, apparently, because my officemate asked if I was ok...

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Kikkoman posted:

He totally punched a lady in the face too!

That is definitely not a proper Japanese way to get revenge against racists! What a monster.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Here's day 8:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odaYqgrFk_o

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joO6b5qFlDo

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBg7XSuFO0

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 14:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xqycfJS2aE

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Gibbo posted:

Can tochinoshin and amuuru just fusion dance to bring back baruto already?

Oh man, this is the best. I miss that guy. :(

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Astrotrain posted:

https://gfycat.com/SarcasticIcyBlackbuck

Here's a few seconds from the recording I have from TV Japan, still not amazing quality but the better angle makes it pretty clear he steps out I think.

That's a real tough one. I can't quite tell if it is his foot or just the shadow from it that appears to be touching the outside. When none of the shimpan on that side of the ring objected to the match continuing, I thought for sure they wouldn't rule him out on the inevitable monoii.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Dang, I really want a Kyokai Ballet Academy shirt now.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 11: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAK7BHd8AcI

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Dr.Radical posted:

Welp, never mind. Hooking up the HD to my TV for the purpose of recording things reformatted it and apparently my computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in. Seems like some bullshit but I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing at all.

What kind of TV do you have? I can probably help you sort this out.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmGCtFeIyAw

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqsziFjx_6A

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Elephant

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Officer Sandvich posted:

corpse on the left at 3:03

:stare:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 6:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGl0yh-2HiM

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 11:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AijYNsP6s

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Tsaedje posted:

I don't think you can reasonably argue that any of them aren't good enough to be Ozeki, but are any of them ever going to be able to go further?

Meanwhile Hakuho could easily lose against Harumafuji and Goeido and record his first ever single digit score as Yokozuna and his worst uninjured result for 10 years. Does he have enough enthusiasm left for another 3 or 4 basho in order to pass Chiyonofuji and Kaio's win record? Is that even a target he cares about?

If Goeido gets more consistent, definitely, but the rest are doubtful in my mind. Giku is too one-dimensional, Terunofuji just can't seem to stay healthy, and Kise appears to not have the mental fortitude for the task.

Also, I haven't seen any mention by Hakuho of looking to break the record, but why the hell not if he's this close? He could easily take the record by this time next year. He can still clearly go, but if he doesn't put up 11 or more wins each time he might just call it a day since he doesn't seem to be the accumulator record holder type. Plus, he holds pretty much every record that he can realistically attain aside from Consecutive Wins (which I don't see him getting now) and Number of Basho at Yokozuna (he needs 7 more to take that record).

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv95oTno4_Q

Day 4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjBHl4jwhk

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Day 7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNBoAk7JK4Y

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am quickly becoming a fan of Hokutofuji. The way he kept fighting back and being persistent in his Day 11 match was awesome to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

At the end of the day, in my mind, it really becomes an argument for how much you want to punish a guy (who would most likely have already been promoted were it not for Hakuho) for just having the bad luck of existing in the span of time where the greatest sumo wrestler of all time happens to be competing as well.

As much as I consider Kise a choker (and I used to until I took a longer view on the greatness of Hakuho), objectively looking at his competition, it is tough to argue against a promotion if he goes 14-1 while also beating Hakuho.