Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Phoix posted:

I used my 14 free days to reactivate an account from 2005 but I can't actually login. It just tells me my password is invalid even after I've gone through the site to change it. I'm probably just going to have to email support but just in case has anyone else had this issue?

fake edit: and yes I'm changing the password on the DAOC account not the master account. I tried logging in with both just in case, though.

Oh weird. Yeah, email or call them if that's an option. I don't think I've seen that problem before, but with how crazy the account system is now, I'm not really surprised, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

ggschmitty posted:

A high regrowth (44+ for best group hot, major, greater, and group heals) warden actually has a lot of tools for healing and if people run bard/druid/warden, the warden takes over most of the healing by playing back field with cure NS, cure group disease, and dropping while druid goes mid and shears/heals/roots etc. My warden is 49 nurt/44 reg/23 shield/10 blades. I barely ever, EVER hit things in PVP unless the druid or bard is getting beat on and then I can side snare or 5 sec stun.

With that said, the problem is getting people to actually give you a chance as a healing warden because most people want to run 2 druids since that how it has always been. I find warden a lot more fun than druid, but it is 100x easier to get a pug group as a druid. So probably just go druid.

I really like playing my druid, though I also think wardens would be fun. Druids just have so many toys for keeping the group alive, plus field buffs, roots, and buff shears. Also, stealing killspam with a well-timed DoT is priceless.

Really, though, both classes are great. When it comes to running with the guild, both will be extremely helpful.

Squiggoth posted:

So I moved my 42 Shaman and 30-something Valkyrie over to Ywain6. Any suggestions for finding good helpful guilds on Midgard side? Or Alb if I poke around there? The community seems very elitist despite this being a fairly old and antiquated game, I kinda figured more folks would be super helpful like the Cult members are. Oh well.

Unfortunately, DAoC in general has a lot of that. People always say Hib is the worst, but to me it sounds like an across-the-board problem. Alb might not be quite as bad, since all they do is zerg with anyone willing to follow the leader.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

The Baumer posted:

I'm becilhber

It's so hard to keep track of all of the goons now. :P

Geisladisk posted:

What I'm worried about is Enchanter's PvP viability though. I guess Eldriches nuke better, which, for me, looks better on paper than PBAE damage spells.

I remember that PBAE used to be pretty sick nasty back in the day, but it required a extremely coherent and good group to pull off in PvP.

Enchanters have a couple of new toys, like a shiny new RR5, a single-target root, and some new debuffs. Mana spec is great for PvE and can be decent in RvR, though you might find Light spec a bit easier to pull off in RvR. You get a nice single-target DD with that.

Geisladisk posted:

Finally, can someone give me a primer on the new post-Atlantis classes and what the hell they do?

I'll have to come back to this one after work if no one else answers. :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

I never tried Uthgard, and I still don't care to. Something about playing on a buggy server emulating a buggy game just isn't appealing. Plus, I can't imagine playing somewhere with an even smaller playerbase. I'm sticking with the official servers. :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

DAOC's biggest flaw back in the day was the absolutely excruciating grind to 50. For most players it was a project that took literally months. And it wasn't as if there was anything of any interest to do in that time, you were just literally grinding mob after mob after mob. Had they eased the leveling to what it is today at launch, the game would probably have been wildly successful - The PVP at 50 was loving awesome, but I had three or four real life friends try the game and give up at level 20 or something.

You know, call me oldschool, but I'm glad that DAoC had painful leveling in the beginning. Games should kick you in the junk until you're sterile, I think. There's too much hand-holding in games today.

That aside, I actually had a lot of fun XP grinding back then. I met a ton of fun people, most of whom ended up joining our guild and RvRing with us. Those that didn't were still great friends on the battlefield. Not to mention the laughs that we had from dirt-napping often.

Geisladisk posted:

Anyway, I dug up a old level 32 shadowblade I have, gonna try my hand at some stealther action. Are two handed PAs still awesome? Can anyone give me any spec tips?

To add to what others have said about it already, poisons are really the bread-and-butter for assassins now, so Envenom+LA for damage is probably your best bet.

Tsu posted:

Just started an Animist named Katapl. I don't know what's going on most of the time.

Neither do I, and I started playing shortly after release. :) Don't worry, though, you'll get used to it. Plus, those of us in the guild are more than happy to help when we're paying attention.

Squiggoth posted:

Going to bow out of the game. A few things made that decision for me, but mainly the whole "do I really want to pay for this" came up. If it ever goes F2P I'll be on it faster than ever, but until then, c'est la vie.

I have a 50 druid 50 mentalist account that I won't know what to do with...ahem....

Also, as a special treat, I'm giving away my original strategy guides from DAOC. One is the original guide, another is the updated guide w/ Darkness Falls info. The third is the Shrouded Isles guide, and the fourth is the Atlas. Of course these are old, and some are outdated, but it's more of a "cool thing to have".

If anyone's interested, all I need is money for shipping. I'm cleaning house for a move and I'd like to donate these to a current DAOC player.

Doh! Well, thanks for joining us for a little while, Squig! When you get the urge again, you know where to find us. ;)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Sorry goonbros, I remembered that I had a level 32 skald. Then I remember that Skalds kick rear end. He was level 50 a short while later. :( I'd like to play with you, but Hibernia is just so full of hibs.

Anyway, how essential are master levels? Do I care enough about them to grind glass for tens of hours? Will I get laughed out of groups for not being ML 10?

Well, since you're a Mid, don't bother with MLs. ;)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

A friend (who is a die-hard OF fanboy) and I last night had a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of everything since SI and it ended with him telling me that he has the box for ToA in storage and, if I were so inclined, he would give it to me so I could marry it.

People playing Uthgard are going to play Uthgard.

The funny thing is that I'm a pretty die-hard OF fanboy, but I enjoy much of the ToA and later content. I'd like to see a refresh of the frontiers to make things interesting, and hopefully bring back some elements of OF that many of us miss.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Oh man, they range limited it? I meant you just keep killing 5 mobs, then the dude at the quest giver gets his reward. It WAS like 10x faster than running back and forth.

Supposedly the limited the range on stuff, but the other week after the hotfix I was able to help someone get credit for Molvik XP quests by having them stand in the PK while I plinked arawns on my ranger. It seems to be hit or miss.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

madpanda posted:

I was looking for a pair of sabatons of the shard but I found some for 15p in housing.

Doh, find me online and I'll give you a pair that you can sell for 15p. :) Some dropped the other night when we did an SH raid.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Pappasmurf1978 posted:

Used to play this many moons ago, was my first mmo and still have a soft spot for it.
Saying that, i fancy another dabble in it and was wondering if a zerg surfing Bainshee group would be viable? (Always fancied a Bainshee)

Bainshees have powerful DDs, but not much utility. Sadly, you missed when people re-realized that a group of bainshees specced for AE bolts could kill entire zergs in a split second, which has since been nerfed into oblivion. :P

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Holy patch notes, Batman! Major relic system changes and some interesting class balance stuff:

http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/pendragon-patch-notes-1112

Yay Mentalist love! Also, magic resist buffs (druid and warden) are being bumped up a bit for the blue and yellow versions.

Sadly, the patch also means that Dun Cult will have to move to a new keep once this goes live. I'd like nGed, personally. :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

For anyone who didn't notice already, the Spring quests are back until the 16th! Good luck finding the bunny for the Medal of Honor/Springtime Folly bracer quest. It has been a dirty little ninja hiding on Agramon or just not spawning for a while. Also, Agramon is massively zergy. Even Hibs had a zerg:

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Snaxxor posted:

I've been playing this old rear end game lately, teaming up w/ goons & my old guildies.

It's amazing how addicting a 10-year-old game can be. :)

The Waffleses haven't been on as much lately due to work and other stuff going on, but we're thinking of you Cultist goons!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Snaxxor posted:

RR8

Nice! Grats! :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Also, should I sell my hib poo poo and xfer the plat over for when I hit 50 to make a template? Or will you guys be flip-flopping.

Noooo! Keep your Hib stuff! :)

nousername posted:

Copperhound: check out postcount.net. a lot of the VN vets went over there and they have a good source of templates transferred over. Also thanks for being our skald angry

Yeah, Postcount.net is the new VN. IGN can go perf themselves.

n10siv posted:

Anyone playing Alb? Thinking about dusting off my old classic era toons.

Welp, nevermind... they seem to have hosed up peoples passwords who are just now merging mythic accounts with EA's so my orignal password no longer works aannnddddd you cant reset your game account passwords without the original. Theres also no longer a secret word option for the game accounts, how loving retarded are these people?

You might have luck contacting EA support about it. If I recall correctly, your secret word is still on your account and support can use that. Mileage varies, of course. Good luck!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

I'm probably not getting D3, but thankfully Torchlight 2 is almost here! The Waffleses are definitely getting copies of that.

If anyone has Steam, you should be able to find me as ButtaKnife.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

What did they do?

Basically, there are no more relic temples. Each realm holds their relics in the closest two keeps to the border keeps (Ail and Scath for Hib, for example). Those keeps are no longer claimable, but you can still port to them if the towers are owned by your realm. For each of your realm's keeps that your realm owns, a number of high purple guards are spawned in both of those relic keeps. It's like the old frontiers and the keep named relic guards, except now they're called Elite Envoys. So, you have to take those keeps like normal to get the relics of another realm, and now you can't take relics through PoC. I also don't think you can boat any more. You *have* to run it back across Agramon.

It sounds like an interesting blend of OF relics with NF, but the population is probably still the biggest problem for DAoC right now.

Patch 1.112 notes (for those changes): http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/game-update-1112
First relic take video: http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/first-successful-1112-relic-raid-video

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Anyone still playing this?

"Dark Age of Camelot - Welcome - kazvall
Congratulations, your account is eligible for 14 Free Days!"

We're not at the moment, but will probably hop back in the game for a bit once work and things calm down a bit. :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Hate to bump this dying thread... but, I thought I'd try some RvR out this weekend. If anyone wants to join me, you would be welcome. I'll probably fill this post in with more details on the new content if no one else posts after me.

I need some fun times before Planetside 2 beta starts!

Oh no, I don't know if the Waffleses will be able to join you while your 14-day is active. Have you been playing much? I'm curious how RvR seems now.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

I got caught up with some ol' bullshit along with being sick. So, I haven't activated yet. Was actually hoping someone would pop in here and play with me, hehe.

Depending on what happens this weekend, we *might* be able to, otherwise it's not going to be for a couple of weeks. Silly work obligations. We'll let you guys know when we re-sub! At worst, we have to resub within the next 40ish days so we don't lose our bots' houses. :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Just a quick update on our end - It looks like we'll hop back in-game after Aug 17. If anyone wants to use their 14 days starting on the 18th or something, we'd be up for playing.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Holy crap, new patch notes up at http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/version-1113b-comes-pendragon

In a nutshell:
- Casted resistance buffs now last 30 minutes (even champ ones!), but they're limited to 4000 units from the caster, so stealthers can't rely on those as much.
- Resist debuff spells have had their values lowered about 5% so magic damage should go down slightly.
- Wardens get a new anti-pet RR5!
- Realm buff NPCs now have resistance buff tokens
- Lots of tweaks to Champs, Thanes, and Maulers

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Hey, did you activate? How many people are playing now?

We did reactivate, but haven't been online much yet. I imagine it's still quiet in-game, though we should still be able to get a group going, especially if everyone else in the thread wakes up and comes back... :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

nousername posted:

it seems as if my 14 days are up again. I'm reactivating and playing since I've already gotten bored with gw2

Awesome! I've been logging in most nights lately just in case people log in, so if you're on Hib, do /who waffle or /who grrsnatch to see if I have a character logged in.

Evernoob posted:

I've been playing GW2, and am still having fun...

However the taste of WvW made me remember the awesome time I used to have in RvR so many years ago. I was hoping I could experience it again but I have no idea what my login info used to be (I quit when WoW launched, and I don't think they used email account names).

Any chance I can get my account back if all I know are the different names/levels and realm ranks of the characters of that account spread over 3 servers? Don't feel like starting a fresh account.

Probably, though you're going to (unfortunately) need to talk to EA support for it. I think your best bet is to call and explain the situation. Even though email addresses weren't used for the account names back then, the account should still have an email address of yours associated with it, so it would help to have some idea of what it might be when you talk to them. Good luck! It will probably be a bit of a hassle, but worth it to get the account back.

If anyone wants to try to organize some night to log on and play (RvR, PvE, whatever) just let me know!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

In an unusual twist, Mythic decided to add a couple of race-class pairings for the DAoC 11th anniversary:

http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/happy-11th-birthday-dark-age-camelot

In particular, "Lurikeens may now be Blademasters." Heck yeah!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

ggschmitty posted:

me and lash are running a hib stealther duo and everyone should make rangers/nightshades to join us!

50s or 39s?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

The Waffleses are playing a bit again! We lost most of the weekend to getting our animists and buffbot to 50 and then checking out the new epic armor/items, followed by trying (unsuccessfully) to clear the Picts from Druim Cain. We couldn't even dent the purple with our chanter focus pull group.

Would you mind if we drop these on the Cult website?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Twlight posted:

yes, alb worst realm :)

Fixed!

Oh, by the way, could you get out of my backyard? Not only have you stolen all of the players, but all of the Hib keeps as well. :(

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

CopperHound posted:

Hi waffles and friends! It is great to hear you are back. I was devastated when you went MIA and let my subscription lapse. If you guys are still around at the end of this month I'll have to come back to overextend and break CC with my aoe proc.

Copper! We should be around, assuming I can get the gaming tower up and running again. Apparently the northbridge is having heat issues. Should anything change we'll be sure to post it here.

madpanda posted:

I started up a warden in the mean time, are they pretty much relegated to healing in groups? Looks like they could be good peelers/solo/duoers.

Wardens are best as healers and peelers, last I checked. They have most of the healing abilities that druids do, plus weapon and shield styles to slow meleers. Also, TWF ftw.

Edit: Removed unrelated quoted text.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Added the CU info to the OP.

Also, our gaming machine is back up and running, so you should see us in-game once again! If anyone is playing Hib, needs anything, and the Waffles are not online, just ping me on Steam or something.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Do you all play Hibs/Mids also? I have a hunter and nightshade too.

I only play Hib. Most recently I have been spending a lot of time on my ranger (Wafflesnypyn) in Molvik, though I'll play my 50 eldritch (Wafflestompyn) and 50 NS (Grrsnatch) from time to time.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

The realm hoppers seem to have come to Hib, so if you want to level up a Hib character, now's the time!

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Oh yeah, the new quests (in the classic areas and the battlegrounds) are awesome for getting up to level 50 or whatever your destination level would be. I started a healing warden on Friday and got up to level 29 or 30 last night with just a bit of messing around and tanking with 4 blunt spec. I think I'm also up to 3 or 4 deathblows now, since I'm doing the BG quest lines.

As for playing in Midgard, I'm not sure who's playing Mid right now. It seems to be mostly Hib/Alb for goons currently, though we can update the Current Players post if someone is playing Mid regularly. :)

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Holy patch notes, Batman!

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/article/patch-1114b-coming-pendragon

In short, assassins can't weapon swap DoT poisons for insane DPS any more, Warlocks can't insta-gib zergs any more, Hib casters now have incredible group synergy around Energy nukes, celerity was revamped a bit, NS and disease timers are shorter, and cure NS is available in some of the BGs with the right spec. Whew.

This part of patch 1.114 focuses on class balance, and the whispers in the wind indicate that 1.114c will wrap up this version with some changes to the frontiers to hopefully make things a little different and more interesting.

If you're not quite sure yet if you should care about this patch, here are all of the classes that were directly changed:
Animist
Bard
Berserker
Bonedancer
Cabalist
Champion
Cleric
Druid
Eldritch
Enchanter
Friar
Healer
Heretic
Infiltrator
Mauler
Mercenary
Mentalist
Nightshade
Paladin
Ranger
Reaver
Runemaster
Savage
Scout
Shadowblade
Shaman
Skald
Sorcerer
Spiritmaster
Thane
Theurgist
Warden
Warlock
Warrior
Wizard
Valewalker

...which pretty much leaves only a few tanks that weren't directly changed, but will still be impacted by celerity changes and other things. So, you should probably go read the notes at the very least to get acquainted with everything, or go test on Pendragon to see how the changes affect your characters.

SoggyGravy posted:

Can someone in the OP add how to get a hold of other goons who still play this please?

Yes! What would you like to see? As far as contacting goons outside of the game, there isn't much set up yet, so we could look at an IRC channel or something along those lines. As far as in-game, that's just a matter of looking at the post with the names of who's playing and doing /who <name> in your realm of choice.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Haven't warlocks been redesigned 'to stop instakilling' like four times now? I played one when they first dropped, fun, then took a break and came back after the first 'nerf' and it was boring and not useful.

This feels like a bigger change at least, compared to some tweaks before. They should still come out of this as a strong casting class, but no longer Kobold atomic bombs.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Whoa whoa, 7 free days? When did this happen again?

Very recently, and probably due to Broadsword taking over DAoC and UO. It's going to be nice having a company actively working on the game again.

edit: Also wanted to recommend to anyone worried about templating and plats to just stick to the Thid and Molvik battlegrounds. It's pretty cheap to get set up with some gear for either and they're really quite fun, especially Molvik.

ButtaKnife fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 24, 2014

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

After the last update ESO is now crashing upon starting. How do I get daoc back in my life for an hour or two every few days.

Now the Come Back to Camelot promotion is running, so you could resub and get 13 days of free play as part of the 13th anniversary celebration.

If you guys haven't seen the latest news on the Herald, there's a lot going on. New race/class pairings have been enabled. October is all 13th anniversary stuff, including some kind of RvR tournament. There's a new producer for DAoC at Broadsword. And I'm sure there's more to be announced.

Due to the anniversary month focus, the 1.116 patch has been pushed out to Nov/Dec, but it looks awesome:

The Herald posted:

• With CL15, we'll also be doing some re-balancing of the existing Champion Level abilities and adding completely new ones!
  • New Champion Level 15 Weapons and Art are coming, and we think you’ll be pleased!
  • Darkness Falls is getting revamped! Bigger, better encounters with new rewards and updated loot.
  • A Casual Group Finder is being introduced to allow players that want to jump in and RvR a way to find a group very quickly - with just the press of a button!

Also, they intend to introduce some UX enhancements:

The Herald posted:

• ​Market Explorer Search Enhancements
  • A Map + Quest Journal combination and revamp
  • Tooltip Item Delves
  • Right-click to equip or swap inventory
  • Ability list management and Quickbar functionality
  • Guild and Social Management tools
  • In-game Mail

So, overall, Broadsword is definitely trying really hard to keep DAoC alive, and it's great to see. I'd still really be curious about some kind of Origins-like server and other revamps, but addressing the UX would be a huge leap forward. The 13 days promotion is rather tempting...

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

PriNGLeS posted:

Live/DAoC in general has quite literally always been cliquey. If you don't make good impressions on people you never get groups again. Try hanging out in whatever IRC is used/post on postcount.

I remember one time just before we took over the Cult with goons where I was invited to group with some guys who definitely had this mentality but needed another DPS. A couple evenings later I was invited back to group with them and someone else in the group on Vent asked "who's this scrub?" or something. One of the guys from the previous group replied, "It's okay! We've grouped with him before." :c00l:

What none of them knew was this was right after returning to the game after a few years hiatus and I was wearing junk gear with horrible stats and resist holes. If they had, well...

People are silly.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

For anyone not following the live DAoC news, Broadsword set up a swag shop if you need some DAoC paraphernalia. We may or may not have ordered some new t-shirts already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Once we finish moving into our new place, there will be The Return of The Waffleses. Or something like that. (Roll Hib on live!)

• Locked thread