Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm looking to check out this game again. I've always steered clear of playing a hib, so I'll give it a go and make a Hero.

I'm looking at the different weapon styles to decide what weapon to go with, but I am confused by some of the effects. Is there a difference between Hindered and Snare? Do one or both of those trigger immunity? I assume 'slow' is attack speed.

update: I now see that charplan has not been updated in over a year and the in game method of spending spec points is not poopy anymore. Now there is no hindered/snared listed for the melee styles. It is all "Target moves 40% slower for X seconds".

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I've been running around thidranki today. As I heavy tank there are two things I wish I had more of. Bard Speed, and a bottomless bag of endurance potions.

Is there a simple way to change ability hotkeys? Because the
code:
/qbind 1 23 412 asfjks
takes way too much :effort:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Mordred is technically still there, but just barely. It has been foundering for the past several years. I just now logged in to check and it has a total of 9 players online in 2 different guilds.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I need to find something fun to do when you guys aren't online. Spamming LFG in Crouch is not my idea of a good time.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Layonhands posted:

The silly floating sword doesn't help either.

Seriously, they need to buff them by letting them triple wield with *ahem* some other appendage.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

We had a couple pretty drat good fights in the Labyrinth tonight at the same time as picking up the good one time drops. I had my first solid 8v8 fight that wasn't just one side stomping the other. One day I will be in a fight like that without running around like a headless chicken.

Oh, and schmitty:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ohh I forgot about Bigtyme. I think I used to roll with him on Gareth. Is he a big green troll with a smoker's voice?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair, when we first thought the spell effects looked awesome we had only previously seen sprite effects or particle effects.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Here is a screenshot of ggschmitty posing with the barding vendors:
http://i.imgur.com/848fL.jpg

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Right now kaz! You on mid or hib?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The google cache of the VN boards is starting to flush out. Are there any archives of the class boards out there?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I used to read the grab bag weekly for the years that I didn't even play.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I am probably going to be taking an indefinite break (though I always come back). The girlfriend is on her summer break, so I don't have to entertain myself while she studies.

Stunna, if you see this, were you the one that gave me the Halloween hat and ml10 spear? And do you want it back?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

ButtaKnife posted:

The Waffleses are playing a bit again!

Hi waffles and friends! It is great to hear you are back. I was devastated when you went MIA and let my subscription lapse. If you guys are still around at the end of this month I'll have to come back to overextend and break CC with my aoe proc.

By the way, I miss talking about cooking with you scoodles.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have no recollection of a Camlan server, was that one of the foreign ones?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

The thread has been quiet for a day now. Has the excitement faded? Or are the servers stable enough to actually play instead of bitching about not being able to play?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I need some inspiration about what to try playing. No doubt about it, I am a terrible player; While playing melee I get tunnel vision and over extend, I can't stand the pressure of playing a pac healer and having to drive, mez and heal, and I am bad at kiting. That said I don't want to play a class that nobody wants in a group. Maybe I can get better with practice, but I kind of feel like a pubbie for life.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 11, 2014

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I can give melee dps a try. I have usually played a heavy tank when going melee and had a hard time judging when to guard/peel and when to jump on the dps train.

Is the population here chill enough to be fine with me not choosing troll for the extra strength?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Bodyguard? bah! I went warlord for enhanced player vs door experience.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

See: 4 days for a ghetto rear end bandaid fix for bind stones.

Whats the deal with them? I just used mine and it was consumed.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dogo posted:

Some french poo poo

This is why I haven't done any quests.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Nirvikalpa posted:

Either. I'm just curious how you can get distinct roles with so many classes.
You don't. It is a serious problem that had plagued the design of the game from the start.

here is my cynical rundown:
Armsman/hero/warior - Melee damage and tank
Cabalist/enchanter/spirit master - caster with pet
wizard/eldrich/runemaster - casters with bolts
sorcerer/mentalist - utility/damage casters
Cleric/druid - healer and buffer
healer - healer and utility
shaman - buffer and healing
Friar/heretic/reaver/paladin/champion/valewalker/warden/thane/valkyrie - melee with magic
mauler/mercenary/blademaster/beserker/savage - melee dps
Infiltrator/nightshade/shadowblade - stealth melee
scout/ranger/hunter - stealth ranged
Minstrel/bard/skald - makes group run fast
necromancer/animist/theurgist/bainshee/bonedancer/warlock/vampiir - classes with some sort of gimmick with varying effectiveness depending on situation

e: I forgot to mention crowd control which is done primarily by sorcerer/bard/healer. There are nuances that differentiate each class, but the problem is that not every class has something to bring to the table in a group setting. This leads to groups essentially needing a certain combination of classes for the core of the group (healer, buffer, crowd control, speed) which is then filled out with dps spots.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 27, 2015

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Evernoob posted:

Midgard could field an awesome mellee group with a minimal amount of classes, while having all core skills with them (Skald, 2/3 healer, shaman, 4/3 mellee dps)

gawd i hope Camelot Unchained follows the same model of class roles...

Oh yes it was so great that you could not get a group to step out onto the battlefield without a skald, a pac healer, an aug/mend healer, and a shaman.

I agree that those are amazing classes, but the problem is that MOST of the group utility is concentrated in a few classes which makes them essentially mandatory in every group leaving players of other classes without a regular crew begging for scraps or humping keeps... I guess you could play the stealth game with bags full of poisoned weapons.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Evernoob posted:

During Genesis server I actually played a Healer, and never had to look for a group longer then 5 minutes.
It is all good when there is a new healthy population, but I tried leveling a healer sometime between ToA and catacombs. Good luck finding leveling groups when the entire server is top heavy.

It was demoralizing to log in and find nobody within my level range. The fact that I could do nothing productive at all without a group only rubs salt in the wound.

E: Maybe if I wasn't such a mediocre player I could find groups often enough to keep me from quitting after a month or two.... every two years

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 28, 2015

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It was pretty exciting to level up in darkness falls back in the day.... I guess when the gear you could buy was seals wasn't considered complete poo poo for leveling. As soon as it opened we'd jump on a horse (or suicide) from the other end of the world to get there. Just to promptly get killed by the last holdout force.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Good times were had by all.
Instead of arguing about why I don't play this game anymore.... I'm going to activate my free seven days just to say hi to the waffles.

And then probably not log in again for two years.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I downloaded the launcher and patched the game a few days ago, now the launcher says I have version 1.27 but doesn't seem to be doing anything to update to 1.28

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm helping!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I have a horizontal bar across the top.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I hate myself enough to try playing this game for a few weeks again. I am going to try making a friar.

e: WTF is up with this discord poo poo? I can't even test my mic settings?

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 14, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It is kind of sad that a free shard is more popular than live.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Even then that would require putting artist back to work on the game? When was the last time any new assets were created? 10 or 11 years ago with labrynth?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Leveling is very fast now on live.
About as bad as you remember on Uthgard, but there are plenty of people to find groups with right now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For uthgard, I was looking through the Alb melee styles and and it looks like the only anytime/rear snares are in the 2hand and polearm line. Am I missing anything? Is there any good way for the one hand melee classes (or lol friars) to peel that I am missing?

I guess Mercs can spec slam.... How long do immunity timers last?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

You can do kill tasks until level 20 which are just unintuitive kill random mob x for XP and coin. They get you at least half the XP you need to level.

Otherwise the epic quest chain is the only thing I know of to lead you around to other level appropriate areas. I think they are every five levels starting at 10.

There are a few other quests in there for items, but nothing like from WoW and beyond.

Re: kill tasks the direction the guard tells you to go is usually not the closest spawn of the mob and you should look up maps if you don't want to wander all around.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

weird Asian candy posted:

Thanks. Who gives the kill tasks?

'/Whisper task' to a named guard in an area that is about your level. They will tell you to kill some random mob within 2 hours.

The number of tasks you can do is equal to your level I.e. one at level one, five at level five.

If you don't like a task the only way to drop it is by letting it time out or by dying.

FYI the tradeskill masters offer crafting tasks too.

Use this to find the task mobs to kill: http://capnbry.net/daoc/

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 31, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Crafting is pretty expensive and time consuming. It isn't really worth it just for outfitting your character. It sucks starting off as a poor melee character on a young server. Before you buy from a merchant I would say you should try going to the crafting town (What is the hib equivalent of Cornwal station?) and begging for a set of low level armor and weapon.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I'm on Albion along with kazval and a couple others... But I haven't seen them on in about a week.

I am Verdigris in game. Send me a message if you need some help with starting gear.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Playing Albion on uthgard is a reminder that autotrain is the stupidest mechanic ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I played uthgard long enough to remind me how terrible vanilla DAoC was without the quality of life fixes. I still hate the timers and /use stuff from last time I tried live. Every couple years I forget how little fun it is for me and try again.

• Locked thread