Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Combo posted:

Just messing around last night on an alt warrior at 36, and having full buffs from a token vendor and chain killing yellow/oj out in frontiers solo with my endurance almost always topped off was pretty nice, I have to admit. Or being able to chain kill reds on my zerker with no healing needed.

Having actual gear instead of wearing nothing/trash picked up makes a huge difference alone. Hell even aurulite stuff is a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Furnaceface posted:

I found the problem was twofold for me. When I did feel like grouping it was hell trying to find a group. Then sometimes I just dont feel like grouping and that is actively punished. Didnt help the few groups I got into were mostly the leftovers that the min/max groups werent taking so downtime was atrocious even in the group, and worse if a pull went wrong.

Oh, and I just use the low level glass quests to skip Molvik (or to get to 39). Its so much faster, even if youre solo. :v:

Oh yeah I forgot about those!

Also yeah I'm with you, sometimes I just really don't feel like grouping, I just feel like throwing on a podcast and mindlessly grinding for a bit by myself, and there really isn't a reward for doing that on Genesis. Once when I couldn't find a group and mid had DF, I took my RM down there to kill quasits since they for some reason drop saph seals instead of emeralds and they were yellow/blue to me. After like 100 saph seals farmed I had about 3 bubbles of xp to show for it.

edit: granted, I'd have been better off in frontiers grinding for xp but still.

Combo fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 18, 2014

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

PriNGLeS posted:

See: 4 days for a ghetto rear end bandaid fix for bind stones.

Whats the deal with them? I just used mine and it was consumed.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.

Meatsicle posted:

I just reactivated my live account as well. What realm do the live goons play on?

A couple of us play Hib, although we have Mids and Albs also.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

CopperHound posted:

Whats the deal with them? I just used mine and it was consumed.

That is the bandaid. You can get a new one in jord from a monster looking dude in the main hall.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Got to level 10 on an infiltrator and 9 on a friar.

Going to be playing more albs today if anyone is keen.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

bongsnake posted:

Got to level 10 on an infiltrator and 9 on a friar.

Going to be playing more albs today if anyone is keen.

What server? live I assume? I don't even know who's playing where anymore

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Oh on genesis still. I can't make myself pay a sub again.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Tom Powers posted:

I find that hard to believe, and I don't trust anything they say.

There's a reason everybody jumped ship as soon as some competition was even mentioned, and similarly, why they haven't been able to fix basic game mechanics for years.

I'm more inclined to believe the few months they've gone down, they're simply changing the default DoL DB (which origins is using) to make it more patch-appropriate. I.e. nerfing things out of the gate rather than after when players discover them broken.
They split from DoL around 2005 I believe. They fixed the incorrect drops years ago. Right before revamp they fixed the Warshade droprate which was too high but as far as I know everything is corrected. They brought the server down so they can finish incomplete things like BD pets, Necromancer, old RAs, etc. and going with a clean slate so they don't ruin a class a few years down the line like they did with Wardens and who knows what others.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I received some advice from a player with lots of experience in my choice between speccing for Pac or Aug healer.

He described the Pac healer as to being probably the task in the 8-man with the highest amount of responsibilities, target caller, stick leader, stress, twitch like reactions ...

Aug Healer it is :stare:

ps : I do love being the main healer, and Aug Spec generally leaves more room for mending.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
I've never run in a group where a pac healer called targets. They normally just assist the MA with stuns while trying to kite, heal, and peel. I totally agree that pac healers are the most important class in an 8 man but I don't see why you would want them to call targets.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Pac doesn't call targets. That's the MA's job. (If anyone). Pac healer definitely carries a group, though. If your pac is poo poo and you ever win a fight it's going to be painful and sloppy.

p.s. you know better than to xp in alb frontiers, Rote!!

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
As a bad player who has only ever played mid, I dont really have any idea where hib and alb xp hotspots are in their frontiers. Is there a good map out there that shows some of the better camps for each realm's frontier? Or, alternatively would someone be able to equate the mid frontier zones to hib/alb zones?

For example the mid frontiers sorted by what lvl you should xp there (low to high): Uppland, Yggdra, Jamtland, Odin's

Dogo fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 19, 2014

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
I really wish solo XP (on Genesis) was even slightly competitive to full group XP. Sometimes I have just an hour to play and wasting half of it to get a group invite then get to the group just makes me not want to play at all.

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...
Have a lot of new blood on Midgard lately. whoever is sounding the goon call keep it up. Now we just need people to be 50 and organize some guild stuff.

FknMeh
Dec 9, 2008

How rainbows are made...

boho posted:

I really wish solo XP (on Genesis) was even slightly competitive to full group XP. Sometimes I have just an hour to play and wasting half of it to get a group invite then get to the group just makes me not want to play at all.

Have toons on Mid? More goons, better experience imho...

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

FknMeh posted:

Have a lot of new blood on Midgard lately. whoever is sounding the goon call keep it up. Now we just need people to be 50 and organize some guild stuff.

I'll be back on tonight I think, I didn't even bother trying to get on last night because it was 10:30 before I got home.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
On this server if you fly/speed hack to get relics, then admit it. You only get a 1 week ban. And get to keep the relic.

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9257

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

PriNGLeS posted:

On this server if you fly/speed hack to get relics, then admit it. You only get a 1 week ban. And get to keep the relic.

http://daoc-origins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=9257

They already locked it and threatened to ban people for complaining about them not banning a cheater!

Cody posted:

Now, you folks discussing this GM action are in violation of the Code of Conduct as seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1803

"No Moderation Activity Talk: Do not discuss the moderation actions of staff. Do not talk about your (or anyone else's!), warnings, infractions, bans, etc. If you are asked to refrain from a type of behavior by a staff member, please listen: disregarding their instructions can result in another warning or infraction. As always, if you have concerns, please contact a staff member."

So, since you think everyone should be punished to the max....

Nah, we're gonna cut you some slack too. But drop it now please.

Nice work Cody. What a loving idiot.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Cody is just awful. When the stress and power finally get to his head he's going to explode. He's just not management or leadership material.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

"He did what he did to help the realm and took the fall for it, /salute."

This from what's supposed to be an impartial admin. Nice.

edit: I also like how in the General Information section there's a sticky that says "Zero Tolerance for Bug Abuse"

Combo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 20, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I had to block codys creepy avatar.

The dude that 'admitted' cheating is most likely a donor or friend of the staff.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I don't know if he's a friend or donor but I've seen him post on the boards plenty

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
This staff has some balls not permabanning that guy. It's clearly special treatment when they ban people for abusing stupid bugs.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Pretty sure it's Cody himself/one of his friends. He was oddly present during the whole thing. When he's usually completely loving gone during the day.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I'm guessing they are taking their time activating new accounts currently? I made an account last night against my better judgement, no response yet, hoping it doesn't take forever! I had made a second account which wasn't the best idea, but it gave me a MySQL error the first time and didn't realize they weren't automatically authorized.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Opinionated posted:

I'm guessing they are taking their time activating new accounts currently? I made an account last night against my better judgement, no response yet, hoping it doesn't take forever! I had made a second account which wasn't the best idea, but it gave me a MySQL error the first time and didn't realize they weren't automatically authorized.

Check it periodically, I never got an activation email, I was just suddenly able to log in after like 3 days.

Tom Powers
May 26, 2007
You big dummy!
I dunno, I'm happy with temporary bans. That guy misses a week, which is like an eternity - in which we'll have the relic back anyway.

If he fucks up again he'll get a permanent ban. So he's either gone for good or in check.

With that said a permanent ban would ABSOLUTELY have been justified and probably should have been the course of action.

The only way to find out would be to cheat and then admit it on the forums, which may have been the deciding factor in him being punished in the first place.

Edit: It does say using external cheat programs will result in a permanent ban, so gently caress leniency.

Tom Powers fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Feb 20, 2014

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Opinionated posted:

There is no activation email you can make an account as soon as you've made a forums account. It will give you a 404 error after setting it up but it will work just fine.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ded posted:

There is no activation email you can make an account as soon as you've made a forums account. It will give you a 404 error after setting it up but it will work just fine.

The activation email he's waiting on is probably the one for the forums account, and that did indeed take a couple of days to activate though I never got an email. (but that was a few weeks ago).

Once the forum account was activated though, I could create a game account like right away.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I never got an email and it works fine. Just try logging in and it will work.

they are loving horrible at coding

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Thanks for the answers guys. I never got an email but it's working now. Now to decide what I want to make, maybe a Skald or Warrior.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Quite sad hearing about the weak GM decision. To me Hacking/Exploiting Bugs is a big No No and I have left guilds in different games in the past where such actions were tolerated.

Let us hope this is an isolated incident with limited/reversible consequences.

@Opinionated : Whichever class you choose won't matter. I don't think there are "Bad Classes" in DaoC, especially not in Midgard. Warrior is a very solid class, and has the benefit over other realm's "Heavy Fighter Classes" (Hero and Armsman) that they can switch 1H and 2H weapons freely with the same weapon spec. So always spec for one weapon spec + shield with rest in Parry.
Skald has a little better Quality of Life and funfactor, especially while levelling, but at 50 elite 8-man only want one of them in their group, but don't let that hold you back from playing one.

While levelling up I received some nice gear from fellow goons. Now not even half a week later I got an backpack full of gear of different sorts (Malmo loot is crazy, wish I could salvage) so I will be more than happy to help out newcomers.

Also: when I first started playing again last week my eyes hurt a little due to the dated graphics and weird controls/movement. Just a few days later I don't even notice these shortcomings anymore. DaoC was never known for its PvE, yet for some reason I enjoy grouping and grinding here more than in say TESO or GW2. I'm just glad I don't have to collect 10 Bear Asses to complete pointless quests. When grouping you level quite a few levels in an evening so you end up in a deeper part of the zone than you started.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Thane sucks.

(Or at least people have repeated that for so long that it's become true.)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

boho posted:

Thane sucks.

(Or at least people have repeated that for so long that it's become true.)

Thanes were very second rate for a long time. Around the time they did the archery changes thanes got buffed and were pretty drat nice again.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
All the Thane sucks poo poo really makes me want to main a Thane.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

Thanes have one of the coolest looking AOE's in the game by far. It's what made me want to play Midgard the first time I saw the hammers raining down. They have a special place in my heart.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

The lack of determination really hurts them in rvr but they're still decent for interrupts and defense.

Dogo
Sep 24, 2007
For bonedaddy: The reward choices for Final Rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Dogo posted:

Some french poo poo

This is why I haven't done any quests.

• Locked thread