Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Awww c'mon, you know you want a tank that has the potential to become a fiery deathtrap. It'll be fun!

I thought Hellhounds filled in that role. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Hey yo, anyone got any interesting custom Regiments or rules they use for Only War? Since I can never find anyone to actually play the game with, I've been collecting custom regiments and homebrew wargear such, really wacky or well-thought-out stuff. Also I've been wanting to draw "Alternative" guardsmen and it's good fodder for that.

I guess I'll post this as an example of stuff I'm looking for:

I know I've seen a gdocs document or something thrown around on /tg/ with a whole bunch of custom Only War regiments collected. Sadly I can't produce a link to it right now.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah I would like to have that. I know there was an IG Regiment Maker program that got passed around a bit a bit before Only War came out, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Eh I dunno to be honest. I've just seen some mentions of it in various Only War threads. I'll just keep an eye open in the future.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

bhsman posted:

IIRC, during the second war the Salamanders were being led by a greenhorn Chapter Master in Tu'Shan and the Ultramarines by Calgar, both of which ceded operational authority to Dante immediately.

As far as I can recall from the War on Armageddon book Calgar was definitely not on Armageddon on any point during either of the wars so you might be misremembering that part.
There were Ultramarines involved in the war but Calgar was busy elsewhere.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Interesting they're still supporting Rogue Trader but seem to have pretty much abandoned Dark Heresy, which is kinda disappointing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

The current Dark Heresy line has ended.

What I wouldn't give for an updated DH core book utilizing updated rules from BC/OW. :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

It's not much, but in the back of the Only War rulebook there's conversion rules for turning Only War into Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Death Watch, and Black Crusade.

Huh, wasn't aware of that. Kinda neat though.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Clanpot Shake posted:

I just noticed something in the DH2 rules that bugs the hell out of me. Armor now limits your maximum agility bonus. Feudal plate is the worst offender, capping it at a low 2. I guess nobody at FFG saw that youtube of those guys doing backflips and cartwheels in plate armor?

Even if that is a pretty common thing in Fantasy RPGs or any system that involves medieval armor. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ronwayne posted:

What IS the difference between a huge fuckup that kills billions and a ritual to do the same in the name of Chaos?

The chanting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

With Cadians, I was under the impression that you couldn't tell if someone was man or woman because all women have short hair and the carapace covers even the most endowed of bosoms. I mean, everyone on Cadia is a soldier and is in regs from the time they are born. It's stands to reason they are all the same.

Well the Space Marine game did show that isn't the case all the time but it's probably done in some regiments.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kinda reminds me of something that was done in an RT campaign, here's story from /tg/.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Hodgepodge posted:

Sex is just about #1 on the list of urges that they have no real use for. gently caress, even Slaaneshi Marines don't care about sex. I can't really blame Games Workshop for deciding to leave "oh and your dick is a useless, vestigial lump of flesh" out of material aimed at thirteen year old boys, though.

Emperor's Gift makes a slight mention of this at one point with Hyperion, who has been working with an Inquisitor and her mixed gender retinue, being described by one of the female members during post mission clean up showers as having an impressive package but Hyperion just simply doesn't feel anything back.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Trazyn the Infinite has one of the latter, in the Rogue Trader game I'm running. Possibly more than one. Nothing but a museum piece for him, if a very nice one, and he'd strongly consider giving it to very talented helpers in exchange for something unique. Like an intact primarch, or the Codex Astartes, Book of Magnus, or Book of Lorgar.

Or a Deamon Primarch for that part.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You could've just used Valkyries. :v:
I mean there's even a Vietnam reference in the latest IG codex with a merged regiment with Elysians and Catachans that fight in the Saikong Justification Wars and that's about as unsubtle as it can be.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tias posted:

Yes, but then I wouldn't have gotten to introduce the "Turkey" Rotorship, and don't you dare mess with my bad jokes :commissar:

Well how on Terra was I was supposed to know that it was all an 'elaborate' setup. v:v:v

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I realize there's probably a lot of overlap between this thread and /tg/, but if you haven't read the All-Guardsmen Dark Heresy Campaign you're missing out. Here's a handy link.
https://09cd64678bddc0198cca7fef0df8ce7b359fff2d.googledrive.com/host/0B3Z9sXPTD9rpN2owNGdVWmdFWXM/agp.html

Oh my god that is the best thing I've read this week so far. :allears:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Doodmons posted:

Mujahadeen Space Marines would be utterly terrifying, and Vietcong Marines would pretty much be anyone's worst nightmare in their chosen theatre.

Doesn't Alpha Legion sorta cover those bases? Feels to me they kinda do at least.
Well those or Raven Guard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Always liked Abnett's view on technology a bit more because it doesn't feel like everybody is dumb as a sack of bricks then.
It just means that your average joe bob mechanic knows how to fix a bunch of stuff. This obviously alongside a few choice prayers and such while working it to placate the machine spirits and not just have to go "Uh, it's broken. Where are the cogheads?" constantly over the slightest thing which seems to be the general feel other authors seem to go for.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ghetto wormhole posted:

My presumably 1st printing DH2e book has a bad binding but I've heard they fixed the problem in subsequent printings.

Yeah the binding on my 1st edition DH Core book has gone bad as well so I guess that was a thing with those books.
My DH2 core one still looks fine but I haven't flipped through it as much as the other one.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Is Damnatus good enough to be worth hunting it down?

It's pretty good to the be honest. It can feel a little bit weird and disjointed at times but all in all I'd call it pretty solid for a fan movie.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Werix posted:

Hopefully GW gives the license to someone else good. Maybe a bunch of us Acolyte goons should form an LLC and put together a pitch? When looking at video games of late, it sure seems they'll give the license to anyone.

Yeah but at the same time with the way GW has treated their video game licenses and how they handed them out to the lowest bidder I don't see that much light at the end of the tunnel. I mean outside of Vermintide and what Creative Assembly and Relic are working on most of the recent Warhammer games have been forgettable or just awful.
So GW or BL making RPGs again can either mean we'll get something new or interesting or we'll just end up with something really subpar. Or absolutely nothing.

What seems weird though is that I took a look at the FFG site after reading the thread earlier today and while the only two 40k releases on the way are the last sets of expansions for Conquest they have a number of Deathwatch and Rogue Trader books lined up for reprint.
But I guess that might just quietly disappear before long.

NGDBSS posted:

GW isn't quite there, and is certainly in no immediate financial trouble due to riding on their existing whales and having a strict policy of zero corporate debt. But they still have that abject refusal to face reality given how their design work is perpetually ancient, how they have effectively no good ideas about how to market (no marketing department and no way to separate sales from product quality), and how their lunch in the minis wargame scene is slowly but surely being eaten by other companies like Privateer Press.

Apparently GW hired some marketing guy outside of the company not too long ago which seems to have been the basis for a lot of the current changes they're going through.
The thing is of course we don't know if it'll actually help in the long run and how much GW will possibly resist due to their own company culture.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

especially when Lasgun battery is good for what, 80 shots?

Actually its somewhere around 100 to 200 depending on the power setting from what I can remember from the Uplifting Primer and elsewhere.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JBP posted:

An assault squad executes a perfect jump and lands in a position that will allow them tactical advantage in a coming ambush. 2 minutes later a hairy man with a jetpack strapped to his back (unused) kicks in the front door howling like a lunatic, starts fist fighting a bunch of cultists and yelling "get down here you pasty jetpack bitches, aroooohahaha!"

:perfect:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

I thought cubicle 7 was taking 40K rpg shitz what the hell?

No they're only doing the Fantasy RPGs by the looks of it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Tias posted:

Uh oh, Lexicanum is down, given me a forbidden to access message. Anyone else see this?

Apparently it got hacked from what I've heard.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

kingcom posted:

Shadowrun is a legit nightmare to even parse and every time I remember how much I love cyberpunk I get scared off just trying to figure out character creation.

This is why everyone in our group uses the Chummer app for Char gen or else we would've never played.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

seeing as they will let you be a Skink priest, I wonder if they'll finally give a straight answer about Seraphon being daemons made of starlight but also still functioning exactly like the old Lizardmen.

They've kinda gone back to them functioning like the old Lizardmen with spawning pools and such and the Slann just teleporting them down from their ships. They might get an updated army book before long that might shed some clarity on it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-entertainment-to-publish-warhammer-40000-roleplaying/

Mystery has been solved, turns out Cubicle 7 is taking over 40k RPG as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pakxos posted:

Did the revised/updated version of Wrath and Glory come out? I saw a solicit on drivethrurpg but I'm not sure if that is the latest and greatest. Or maybe I am way out of the loop. And is WNG any good? I only know the FF game rpgs.

The PDF is out yes. The editing is still pretty shoddy but apparently easy to handle enough that one of the players in my group is setting up a Rogue Trader campaign in it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Werix posted:

Cubicle 7 has sort of announced a roadmap.

They're planning some adventure books and splat books. They're also doing a players guide of sorts adding more archetypes and adding ogryn, rattling, and kroot species.

I do want to be hyped but the most of this is at least a year down the line if not more. Which is probably going to be far too late for the Rogue Trader themed campaign I'm currently playing in. Because the book about ships would've been neat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

There is a couple of similar things for both editions of Dark Heresy online. Just google "Dark heresy character creator" and there's a bunch of them. Never used any of them so I can't vouch for how good they are.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

W&G isn't bad, it's just that it lacks content overall. The first real splatbook for the game, Forsaken System Player's Guide, does fill in a couple of gaps that was missing when it comes to archetypes. But there are some holes that still need to be filled when it comes to subsystems, and if you're not keen on coming up with something on your own you might be scrambling a little bit.
Much like Dark Heresy the combat can feel very rocket tag-y as well, especially when damage 10+ weapons show up and armor doesn't scale in comparison.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, got announced at GenCon a while back but they haven't said much about it, pretty sure it's been brought up earlier in the thread.
No idea if that interview does say more about it or not, not much of a fan of video interviews tbh to check.

In other news, here's a chance to own pretty much everything released for W&G for 17 bucks more or less with the newly announce humble bundle:
https://twitter.com/cubicle7/status/1603469413973430289

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://cubicle7games.com/blog/creating-patrons-in-warhammer-40000-roleplay-imperium-maledictum

Our first deeper look into Imperium Maledictum looks at how to create Patrons.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I now have two friends planning Wrath & Glory campaigns.

Edit: I got a couple character concepts, gotta see how viable they are. Either Mechanicus (almost always OP), Death Corps of Krieg or Death-cult Assassin. I'd go Rogue Trader but I don't think it fits the campaigns they're planning.

Rogue Traders work best with campaigns designed around them, also the career is kinda unfinished anyway from what I remember back when I played W&G.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

W&G works, is what I can say after playing campaign in it. It's a serviceable system, but C7 really needs to get out the second Redacted Records out with the rest of the traits and hopefully more options.

The new bestiary is pretty good though, surprisingly packed with a lot of stats for xenos adversaries.
And hopefully the Eldar book will be out at some point.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dark Heresy 3rd edition Imperium Maledictum is coming out next week on the 23rd.

https://cubicle7games.com/blog/release-date-for-warhammer-40-000-roleplay-imperium-maledictum

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of Dark Heresy, there's a humble bundle deal with both editions of DH, Black Crusade and Only War going on now:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/warhammer40k-darkheresy-blackcrusade-onlywar-cubicle7games-books

Seems like it's more or less complete from what I can tell at a glance.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://cubicle7games.com/blog/imperium-maledictum-psychic-powers-1

As we creep closer towards IM release, C7 drops another system preview. In this case dealing with psychic powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Imperium Maledictum is now loose and out in the wild.
https://twitter.com/cubicle7/status/1638903760750620672