Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ze Pollack posted:

The reason human technology is so resilient is that -everything- is on some level vaguely aware, and the reason the Tech-Priests perform rites that seem to our (woefully primitive) understanding to be pointless is because those are, in fact, the best ways to deal with the fantastically advanced technology of forty thousand years in the future.

This is more in line with ork technology, which is probably one of the best things about 40k. The principle was that It works coz I says it do, and that the collective ork race generated enough psychic energy to back this up. If a mek put a huge barrel on your gun, and said it made bigger and harder bullets come out, that's what would happen. There was an underpinning psychic relationship between orks and reality. This is why the red ones go faster and the blue ones are lucky.

Mad boyz were crazy orks whose delusions manifested in actual crazy effects. It was kind of the same principle, really. I'd like to see them come back, but I'm not holding my breath.

There's an anecdote in a story where a guardsman tries to use a dead ork's slugga, but it's a junk toy approximation of a weapon in his hands.

I loved this about orks. It justified comical orks without breaking the setting's tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It used to be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Do Gork and Mork have a warp presence as manifestation of the gestalt ork psychic ability and emotions in the same way chaos gods shadow more civil species' emotions? Because when your entire psychological makeup is a continum measured from "cunning" to "brutality" they're about what you'd expect as gods.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ork theology owns. Is there any talk anywhere of an ork-centric RPG? There ought to be.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think I need to dig out my copy of 'Ere We Go and make this happen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Jesus Christ these guys are available again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's frustrating that they're giving a PDF of the two bonus characters and a fixed Ogryn, but I still need to swing by Staples and awkwardly xerox three character sheets with different Rambos on them under the judging eye of jaded employees.

e: But it's ok because nobody showed anyway. :sigh:

moths fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 16, 2012

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They usually put it up online shortly after, which is a pretty cool thing. The adventure looked really fun, and managed to present a better Imperial Guard story than I expected from a free-RPG day scenario.

Basically, your squad needs to get from one side of a zone to the other. This is because the Orks are more entrenched than reported, so Navy is launching an orbital barrage.

I didn't expect the biggest danger to come from the Imperial Guard's inadequate logistics system, which just doesn't have the resources to evacuate everybody from the target zone. One encounter features a Commissar barely controlling a situation where a couple hundred guardsmen want onto the last evac boat - which is seats 50. (This is the same boat the PC's need to get onto.) And meanwhile the enemy is trying to kill you because that's what they do.

It managed to convey a lot of what makes the IG unique beyond killing stuff and made me much more interested in Only War.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What is it with this industry and disingenuous playtests?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

CommissarMega posted:

EDIT: And it seems buying this DOES get you a $20 discount on the full pdf, so I dunno what's there to complain about.

Ok, this is cool and I take back what I said earlier.

I was irritated to see FFG get on that boat. I'm glad that's not the case.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Is the core system of Only War any different (mechanically) from than the latest iteration of 40kRPG rules in Black Crusade? Aside from guard-specific rules, I mean.

And I don't really care for that take on Krieg. Their shtick is an aggressively nonchalant acceptance of death. Taking that away just makes them more like Paranoia troubleshooters than anything else.

There's a scene in one story where a Leman Russ tank commander rams a Bloodthirster and calmly fires his pistol into his munitions stowage. :black101:
(Although in retrospect, that may have been a Mordian.)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's the story! I think it originated in the old Inferno! magazine, I remember reading it on a bus from the comics store.

CommissarMega posted:

I dunno; I like the whole alternative 'militant Buddhist' take on them (you did read the links I posted, right?).

I tried! I got as far as the loli-Krieg trooper illustration and "My Krieger Girlfriend" and sort-of skimmed the rest unsuccessfully for high-value content. :(

It's going to be interesting to see how the different homeworld cultures come through in the mechanics. I think they did something like that in Deathwatch, but I never picked it up.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Only War one-shot with an all-Ogryn squad.

The mission: Win the Commissar's bet that even the Ogryns can run this company better than its last CO.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Mazed posted:

Naw. Necrons having personalities is the biggest new thing.

It's actually a great retcon since it doesn't negate any of the previously established material.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

There were the Clawed Fiends but the model looks substantially less "beary" than the 3e illustration.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Locomotive breath posted:

Oh (Chaos) gods dammit, Slaanesh is gonna be last again, isn't it? Why does Not-Bacchus always get the short end of the stick.

Why? :smith:

It looks like they're going in descending order of their numbers. Nurgle is 7 so he'll be next, and then Slaanesh. It's not really a bad thing, since it will almost certainly have years of fine-tuned and tweaked improvements to the core rules.

This is tangentially related but WFRP 2E is back in print (on demand) at Drivethru.
Yes, they have the Career Compendium.
So it sucks to be this guy.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I had a minute and a half of edition rage and then realized I was really excited for this.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

They've said it will not be compatible.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

FFG posted:

Will Dark Heresy Second Edition be compatible with the first edition core rulebook and its supplements?

While the percentile dice system is still at the heart of the core mechanic, Dark Heresy Second Edition introduces a number of core upgrades, changes, and improvements that make it incompatible with first edition Dark Heresy.

However, the background and setting material from all first edition books can certainly continue to provide valuable plot hooks and campaign ideas. Since the newly introduced Askellon Sector exists alongside the more familiar Calixis Sector, owners of the previous edition can adapt their new campaigns to include elements of both settings!

So yeah. There's that. It may not be impossible to fudge things into 2e though, I haven't had a chance to pick up the PDF yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I suppose it has more to do with game balance issues than future-historical accuracy. Without (an artificial) drawback, would wearing armor be the Right Choice in every situation? And Yoshimo is probably right, if it's anything like everything in the 40th millennium; You'll be wearing an overly-ornate cathedral suit (with no helmet) designed to look impressive in your tomb rather than to keep you out of it.

I'll be picking this up Friday, but has someone already compiled a list of biggest differences?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Investigating looters and instances of fraud, waste, and abuse sounds like a great job for junior-grade Inquisition acolytes.

Suppose one of those candlesticks had heretical symbology, which called for a closer look, and what's this? One squad has requisitioned enough gear to outfit a small cult army, and none of it can be accounted for?

This works even better if another unit in the same force actually is funneling equipment to traitors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's the kind of Exterminatus I was familiar with, I thought the other kinds were improvised when those specific virus bombs aren't available.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That would be an amazing base of operations / retirement world for a reclusive, radical inquisitior.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

hard counter posted:

what ordo or sub-ordo doesn't have a high turnover rate anyway?

The Emperor's soul-food taster.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

For something like a Bloodthirster, you're better off running the fight as an extended action sequence.

Don't make it a straight fight - give the players smaller objectives suited to their abilities. Get the Grey Knights' teleport homer to the Daemon's location (through otherwise impenetrable warp distortion), kill waves of cultists, pick off the summoners (or sacrifices) before the ritual completes, rig the area with void charges as a backup plan, command the militia conscripts and keep them from panicking, etc. After everything else fails (and the Thirster has eaten the knights,) run it at the players in a weakened state.

For a big showpiece battle, cinematic is always going to be more memorable than rolling dice until something dies.

Fake edit: I'm all aboard the Genestealer cult hype train and, uh, why aren't they anywhere in the RPG?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Werix posted:

In calling chaos showing up at some point unannounced like in Space Marine. Hell, it's the Dark Angels, the Fallen have to show up.

Unless I'm getting my previews confused, there's an intact Heresy-era Dark Angles cruiser aboard the hulk - which seems like it would have been more effective as a surprise / twist.

Now I'm looking forward to playing dumb as vioice actors spend the first act hinting around about "an object of great interest" as if I didn't know exactly what they mean...

E:

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

why aren't you running a DH2/Black Crusade hybrid game where your players are genestealer cultists??

This is the best idea, and I could probably cobble it together from rules available in DH1 and Black Crusade...

moths fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 5, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just realized I've been imagining the Webway as Rainbow Road this whole time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

JcDent posted:

Yeah, same here. People complain about probabilities and I just go "bwuh"

Yah I don't know why people poo poo on percentile systems. Like, if 31 out of 100 possible dice results are a success, it's a lot more transparent than rolling 5D6 (saving two dice) needing a total of nine with an additional complication die.

It's a lot less suspenseful at the table to throw a single D%, but at the end of that math mess it's still essentially a percentage chance of success.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The space police also have an interest in solving crimes, and can't torture confessions out of corpses.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Stable psykers are way too valuable and rare to be wasted on "normal" crime. Most psykers end up serving greater imperium (in the Emperor's lunchbox. )

moths
Aug 25, 2004

In Ian Watson's Inquisitor War, the Emperor has fragmented his personality into many distinct shard personalities to deal with the insane and preposterous situations he must deal with. It's 40k as gently caress, but GW has been slowly scraping the "chapter approved" labels off Watson's work for years now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yes he did, and yes it is.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I guess you could be a psyker whose power is convincing people he's a rogue trader.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm not really a fan of dice pool systems like that, but I'll probably give it a try. D% systems give you a target number and more transparency about your chances. (Please don't turn this into a derail.)

I like the art but hate that they renamed dice "icons" for no clear reason.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think most people would be concerned with pass/fail over how many total passes are present in the pool.

That is, each die is still 3 and 3 for practical purposes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What I disagree with is the idea that each die has four successes - it only has six potential results, of which three are not-successes.

That probably doesn't matter in rolls including more than one die, though.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I definitely tunnel visioned on the individual die rolls instead of the big TN picture. Oops.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

For 2, the Eldar could offer some ancient Necronyr artefacts. They don't value them (trinkets of a lesser race) but poo poo goes sideways when the Necrons discover they're counterfeit. Whoops!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oops, also that. Plus it cuts against the grain of their aloof flavor. They're essentially space racists who wouldn't get a bunch of has-been robot failures to do "Eldar work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It sounds like you want to play a wargame under the pretext of playing an RPG.

I wouldn't recommend that unless all the players are enthusiastically on board. First, the OW characters should have no idea what's going on operationally above them, beyond "the CO seems nervous and the commissar has been unusually visible lately."

Second, it pulls focus away from the characters' story - which is what ostensibly drew your players to the table to explore. If they wanted to play Battle for Armageddon, they'd do that instead.