Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Just used some thyme, man I love thyme. Love the feeling of the thyme on my fingers and the smell of those little pretty leaves. Hurts to take it off my thyme plant but I feel like it appreciates the need for thyme in my life. Sometimes I get annoyed with the stems coming off when I'm trying to just use the leaves and maybe some cool guy or gal would have a tip here for how to de-thyme a thyme stalk. Also some of my thyme leaves are purple which is fine by me if they want to be that way but does that mean they're too old or too young and I should pick a different area? Thanks in advance, I'm going to go smell thyme;

More like dreamsthyme am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it often just breaks off for me when I do that but I have big stupid fingers and maybe I'm just the Lennie to the delicate thyme rabbits. I'll have to try holding it closer to the base but I feel like at this point I'll be picking them off the stalk my whole life.

How purple: they aren't wilted or anything so I think it's just random variation but I figured this would be the place to ask. Here's a good photo from GIS:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crusty Nutsack posted:

If I'm putting thyme in something like a stew or a braise or something with a bit of liquid, I just throw the whole stem in there. Fish it out at the end of cooking. If you cook it long enough, like a stew, the leaves will just fall off. If not, it still flavors the dish anyway.

Yeah I do this when I can, specifically for finishing a steak if I'm panfrying - I tilt the pan up and let the thyme infuse the butter as I baste it up onto the meat.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm 29 and started getting grey hairs in a streak on the side of my head at 27.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beavertails? Or a clone?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This thread just made me go get a burger.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Echeveria posted:

I'm changing the topic.

I have ground chuck, potatoes and carrots, and gobs of seasoning. I was thinking of being a lazy gently caress and making a hash for dinner, but I'd like to do more than just garlic onion salt and pepper. Any recommendations?

Go for upscale shepard's pie?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Only one kind of broth worth Sipping For Wellness:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are you the chef or owner of a kitchen? If so, were the judges blinded to that fact?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

They do that intentionally so you can take out your crayons and finish drawing the funny face that they started with the foodhair. Then you can take a picture with your camera because that's what celebrating food means to anyone under 30.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love how they list a bunch of corporate slogans that are 'banned' yet they embody the pretentious aspects of every new-age valley business. These assholes probably sit in a circle on pillows during their meetings. REVOLUTION pillows. Guarantee the guy writing that ad makes significantly more than the $50k he's not willing to provide for someone doing a job likely more difficult than his.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 4, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

C-Euro posted:

See it kind of is, at least when we have particularly good dessert stuff lying around.

If you shame her into not snacking on that stuff she'll just binge on it when you aren't at home. I'm sure you do things she doesn't like also, I would just let it go. Alternatively make smaller batches of desserts or just never wash any of the baking stuff so it doesn't get used.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I had a first today

Can you believe this poo poo I'm 34

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Quotin’ myself from YLLS cuz :dukedog:

I hope you aren't taking diuretics for weight loss. Good work otherwise!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Where does the wine go in

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

I am having an outright newfound love-affair with baking recently. I made ciabatta from scratch and then turned that into banh mi and it came out so god drat good.

What are some other fun things to bake before the weather turns too warm to want to turn the oven on? I've been doing sweet and savory pies, focaccia, brioche, lots of other kinds of bread, muffins, scones and pasties but that's not "really" baking. O and pizza, obviously but that's just always.

Any ideas for fun new things to bake? 97% chance that I'm making more ciabatta tomorrow. (God drat pre-ferment means it won't be ready until Wednesday.)

Croissants. They're Easy!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I use the same thermapen to check the temperature of my aquarium water, my food, and myself.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therattle posted:

Remember: it’s not a rectal thermometer.

Actually it is red which in hospital thermometer land means for the rear end!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there any way we can also get fois gras in meatloaf is anyone working on this HELLO?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

:same:

There's an older, mostly retired butcher that helps out at my local butcher sometimes and I asked if they had any veal once and he said no, and he ate so much of it growing up because it was cheap that he never wants to eat it again. Funny how it has gone from much cheaper than beef meat for poors to much more expensive than beef delicacy in the US in a generation. I wonder why that has happened.

Public perception of consumables, it's like how lobster was garbage food for inmates up until people decided it was good + cool to eat if you aren't in Alcatraz.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Social perception certainly plays a part, but in the case of both veal and lobster scarcity has played a substantial role as well. Lobster used to be way the gently caress more plentiful and larger--five pounds was considered a small lobster back when industrial processing of them started in the 19th Century. But overfishing (due to industrial processing) resulted in smaller harvests and smaller lobsters. At roughly the same time transportation technology was improving, so lobster could be introduced to inland markets where it was unknown (and therefore didn't carry the stigma of being a poor person's food). This drove innovation in preparation and use in dishes (including the standardisation of the practice of lobsters being cooked live, which results in what most people would consider to be better flavour--prior to this most lobster was cooked dead). Which drove up demand in places where lobster was less plentiful, at a time when lobster in general was getting rarer. Which in a nutshell is how it became a prestige food.

Veal consumption crashed in the US and Europe in the second half of the 20th Century over public perception of veal production practices--sorta like foie gras--which resulted in changes of farming practices, lowering production and therefore driving up prices as mainstream demand cratered.

Thanks, this is interesting.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mediaphage posted:

I roast a chicken pretty often and it gets turned into at least 3 or 4 meals before all the scraps, skin, and bones go into the pressure cooker. Free stock!

Like a single chicken? That barely feeds 2 adults here.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Question: Have any of y’all ever used a salt grinder, and if so, for what, and with what kind(s) of salt?

Yes, because I thought I was buying a Peugot Paris pepper mill but didn't notice the white ring on the top nut. So I tried using it with a lovely triblend peppercorn and it didn't work, then I put whatever salt was in it when I bought it like a tremendous moron back into the mill and used it until it ran out. I could live without a salt mill but I also now have a matching pair of Paris' so I guess that's nice.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I used to love eating shrimp but now I have 4 of them as pets and I can't eat them anymore I hosed up huge.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Can I get a recommendation for salt (for a salt mill/grinder)? Normally just use kosher or table salt but now own a decent mill. Hopefully something I can order on Amazon here in Canada but all recommendations welcome.

e: The salt is for use with a grinder, to clarify

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 5, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Croatoan posted:

You confused me, are you looking for salt or a grinder? If you want a new fun salt, try Maldon. It's weird at first but now I use it more often than not.

Yeah just looking for salt that specifically is for a mill and not already fine grain or w/e you call the consistency of typical table salt. I'll check out Maldon, thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

ChairmanGoesWoof posted:

Flour seems to be back in stock around here but not a single supermarket in town has yeast.

You can always try to grab it from beer foam or whatever those hippies are doing these days.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I baked a loaf of rye sourdough tonight.

And this is how I discovered that I put cumin in my caraway jar.

I guess try to feed that to whatever animal you want to eat soon?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I keep trying kimchi like at least every 2 weeks and I don't like it yet. Kills me hearing about everyone else loving it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Squashy Nipples posted:

Some people just don't dig on cabbage. me, I love it, I'll eat any preparation of cabbage from any place in the world.

Also, Kimchi can also be a little overwhelming for some people because all of the flavors are turned up to 11 at once

I have nothing against cabbage (or bok choy), it's the flavor of the fermentation I guess. I'll get there!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry to be specific but unless we have hugely different ways of peeing I don't see how touching peppers and then touching the skin on your dick makes your dick hurt any more than if you touched your arm with pepper fingers? Is everyone but me holding themselves by the tip when they piss? Thanks thread.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

re: 2% vs 4% cottage cheese and the like, I drink skim milk and don't add sugar to my coffee so that I can eat decent sized portions of unhealthy food sometimes and not feel like I'm going to die because of it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

therattle posted:

My son just asked for Comte instead of cheddar alongside his gentle (Camembert) cheese for his breakfast sandwiches. He was tempted by the blue Stilton and Boursin but his heart was set on the Comte, which, happily, I’d just bought. He’s never met a cheese he didn’t like.

This is like the French version of the SA mart kawaii lunchbox post.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

poo poo actually it looks like it's not from SA. I misremembered!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ah poo poo I should have trusted my hon'nō (instincts).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Inside Crusters have a vile secret deep within them, the burden of which they find somewhat relieved by the mirroring of this awful situation in their cooking. If you were an InCruster you'd already be doing it as naturally as one scratches an itch. If you're having to ask, you're normal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

I am furious because this thread made me want pineapple rum and there just wasn't any at the liquor store

Surely there are at least 4-5 liqour stores around?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve never seen cottage cheese that doesnt look like vomit. Is there a good way to prepare it?

Also, cheese in general might be a good option, alongside milk and adding some bananas for potassium. Maybe snacking on cheeses is a good idea? A cheese board or something? Any good, high-calcium ones to snack on?

Just take calcium supplements it's way easier and you can do it when you aren't at home that day to cook etc.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

excellent bird guy posted:

I wish there were a 24 hour grocery store in this town. I like to walk around the store at 3 AM when nobody is there, I find it relaxing :cheerdoge:

Same, just grabbing poo poo and putting it back facing the wrong way and sneezing everywhere

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rythe posted:

Peanut butter on a burger is pretty common in the mid west and it's called a Goober Burger in alot of places I have seen.

It's delicious and I'll do that at home now and then when I grill burgers.

Can't imagine ordering something called that, maybe a pet peeve but wish places would name their menu like adults if it's adult food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Eifert Posting posted:

Center mass. I use an outdoor wok and the high end is 13000 btu (I didn't have it cranked up obv).

I would certainly say it is posible the thermometer is bad. It's a javelin pro duo.

Stick it in your mouth and see if it gives you a reasonable body temp, free check.