Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
mayo/aioli is legit weird and confusing. I've had days where I've done the failproof ratio I've done a million times just immediately break and just be a gross oilslick I can't figure out. no judgement on anyone who has problems with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
blueish rare steaks are 100% the way to go with like tenderloin.

fatty stuff like ribeye or sirloin should probably be ordered 'rare' and you just hope they are competent enough to cook it as far as it needs to go. truly blue/rare ribeye is just gross as poo poo. but you don't wanna risk ordering a ribeye medium, and having it come out greyed through.

I usually just explain all this if someone asks me for detail about my order. like say "I usually like my steaks pretty rare, but whatever the chef recommends is how I'll take it." it seems to work out almost every time. more or less if you ask a competent relatively passionate cook to make a steak "correctly", they won't give you poo poo / will appreciate you for it. and if they do gently caress it up you can always raise hell.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 5, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
look at how wrong you all are about fish sauce

flying lion brand fish sauce for life

(red boat is great but I'd literally spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars a year on fish sauce if I used it)

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

Nah, I'm correct with tra chang gold; ingredients: anchovy, salt, sugar
Flying lion: Ingredients: Anchovy Extract, Water, Salt, Fructose, Hydrolysed Vegetable Protein

I'll give tra chang a try, just for you. I've never had it.

that said, yeah, flying lion isn't 100000% pure, but it's about taste man. to me, it tastes correct - which most every other brand I've tried (3 crabs, squid, golden boy, s&b / lkk, god forbid "thai kitchen" or "a taste of thai") tastes off to me. I am pretty sure they all have vegetable protein in them too.

tiparos is a middle ground - it doesn't taste wrong per se, but it feels like it's missing something to me. I think it doesn't have the extra added poo poo, but for whatever reason, I think flying lion tastes closer to a full bodied unadulterated high nitrogen fish sauce than tiparos. just my hot take.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Jul 4, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
yeah +1 for just using actual black beans. they keep indefinitely, and you generally rinse them so they aren't super salty. I'll grab a handful and mince them up for black-bean stirfrys or steamed dishes.

black beans and broccoli is my weeknight sidedish jammm. done in under 5-10 minutes from start to finish, all prep included.

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 6, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

Weirdly, the only time I've eaten black bean sauce was on chicken feet. And hot drat was that delicious. Mindphlux, could you post your black bean sauce broccoli recipe? I think that would be a splendid way to get the family started on eating it.

I don't really have a recipe, esp for weeknight stuff. I just cook a thing and season it.

roughly, preheat a wok as hot as you can get it, toss a tablespoon or two of oil in, broccoli in, splash it with water or cooking wine or mirin or something, toss some salt and pepper in, a handful of black beans, some garlic maybe, and snap a cover on. wait 3-5 minutes and let it steam. uncover, and stir fry until it's the crispness you like broccoli. lots of tossing makes sure everything gets seasoned.

some people really like mushy broccoli, and some people like crisp. I'm somewhere in the middle, I try to get it crisp cooked, then uncover and let the oil fry it, so it's both not mushy, and slighly fried/charred on the outside.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

For real, hainanese chicken rice is my favourite dish on earth.

I emphatically like it, but the magic escapes me. I went for all the "best" chicken rice places in singapore I could find, and it was just some chicken and rice. good chicken and rice, but... chicken and rice.

fishball noodle soup on the other hand... equally simple but goddamn so good

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I love rubbery chicken skin too, it's great. even better is the steamed szechuan or cantonese (I think?) cold duck dish you can find at better chinese places. it's like hacked up steamed salted duck or chicken served cold with gelatinous stock still clinging on, and a little soy/rice wine dipping sauce and rice or something - delicious.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
does anyone have any tips on making fluffy steamed buns or bao or whatever? like what you'd get as a bbq pork bun at an above-par dim sum place?

I've followed so many recipes and always been super confident that THIS time I'm gonna nail it, and I end up with dense hockey puck type poo poo out my steamer. I can never seem to get the fluffy cloud-like thing going.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Squashy Nipples posted:

I haven't really noticed much of a difference between steaming and boiling.... anyone?

I'm interested in getting as many competent cooks to weigh in on this as humanly possible

just watched the dumb 'ugly delicious' about seafood, and david chang being a tool about 'boiling vs steaming' made me roll an eye. I personally think boiling or poaching crustaceans seems correct, in terms of seasoning and juiciness and everything - but chang was advocating hard for steaming. I get the 'purity' argument - but unless I'm doing something really delicate like chawanmushi or something, I don't feel like clean pure seafood flavors really matter that much. throw my corn in with my crawdads and my sausage and a bucket of garlic powder and salt and pepper and cayenne imo ? ? ?

but what made me second guess was chang seemed to be arguing that the boil flavors don't even make it in to the meat. which literally makes no sense to me. if you're arguing for purity via steaming (because you prevent other flavors from reaching the meat) surely you can't also argue that boiling doesn't add flavor to the meat....

dunno, confounded on this one. irl taste tests to follow.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

My hangovers are getting worse and worse, to the extent that a glass of wine with dinner gives me a headache the next day. I am trying various cures to see what helps,

drink more

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ive made many different types of okonomiyaki, I highly suggest sticking to just the pancake style for your first couple dozen times.

the noodle version is just tooooo fuckin hard for an amateur to do well. I think I'm a pretty decent cook, and have seen it made first hand in japan, and still have never pulled it off to my liking after a half dozen tries.

also even when I've had a noodle one cooked by someone else, I just don't like it as much - so dunno, could be biased.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I really enjoy truffle oil recently, as just an undertone to salad dressings, or a last minute add to a mushroom sauce or whatever.

anyone got any favorite brands or anything that stands out? I'm sure whatever I'm using is made from those fake chinese truffles. I mean it tastes good, so there's that, but always wondering if I could be doing better.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
bbbbbbbbbbbbbb

gws I just don't know anymore, this place is dying :/

is anyone else moving towards discord? I dunno, a good 40% of my food chat has gone that way - https://discord.gg/ZfFqpuw

at least dr. wiggles is still slinging his discounted costco greekmeat, rest in power brutha

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I hate videogames thus I cannot stand discord. If this and does I'll probably just become a bitter angry old man at punk shows yelling at people.

I mean video games aside its just a chat thing. there are no video games in my food chat channel, EG

anyways I hate social media and don't use facebook or instantgram or twitter or anything so a IRC chat thing seems about as best I'm gonna get without being a bitter old man myself

if I had a little more effort in me I'd make a food channel dialup BBS

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

i want to kill myself

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

You can't get mad at a guy with no professional cooking experience that makes what he does.

... yes 👏 you 👏 can 👏

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I guess I’m confused on how you rank someone’s cooking ability. Aside from the people like Jiro and This who devote their whole lives to a single pursuit, all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

please don't ever invite me over for dinner

good cooking definitely has 0 to do with knowledge. you can nail a technique and put out lovely food all day long

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
p👏o👏s👏t👏e👏r👏

a👏l👏l👏e👏g👏i👏a👏n👏c👏e👏

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

al-azad posted:

I'm not arguing cooking is purely scientific

shut the gently caress up, you're just talking garbage nonsense for the sake of posting and don't even care about your own argument clearly

al-azad posted:

Cooking isn’t just a skill, it’s a science, and science is repeatable.

al-azad posted:

all cooking is following common knowledge and technique layed out by years of established practices.

al-azad posted:

what I’m questioning is how you determine someone is “mediocre”

you determine someone is mediocre

that's it

that's how you determine someone is mediocre

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Sep 24, 2018

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
its like if you were cooking an egg "over easy" and read a science manual of cooking and it says "cook the egg for a minute on one side and then flip it and cook for 20 seconds on the other side and you have an over easy" egg!!!! but you do it and break the yolk in flipping it and mangle the thing and forget to add the salt and plate it and its just garbage half scrambled eggs and you look really smug and give it to your motherinlaw and are like 'heres you're ........ over easy egg.... m'lady..... *tips fedora*' and shes literally screaming and shaking and throws the plate in your face and leaves your house and you're like.... 'hurrmmph wonder what her problem was, ohwell, nevermind' and start watching tv, and your wife sits you down on the couch halfway through the 'great british baking show' and pauses it (she never pauses it) to really break it down to you and is like .... "al-azahar... i really need to talk to you about something important......... and i need you to listen to me just once in all seriousness..... i think you have a problem........" and you're like no! I dont. im a man of science and reason and everything i do is perfectly measured and precise and not left to chance. and shes like 'baby listen'... and you cut her off and puit your hand over your chest and just scream U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!U.S.A!U.S.A!U.S.A! over and over until she divorces you and marries motherfucking permabanned forums user 'mommie dearest' and you still cant even admit to yourself that you maybe just didnt know how to cook an egg properly and thus were 'mediocre' at it ; the 'it' being egg-cookery

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mich posted:

White people are so fragile y’all.

what happened? did someone DM you or something? seemed like a pretty fair comment

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're a great santa, btw.

the best, so much so i flew to japan justtttttttttt to meet my favorite santa in the flesh :)

no other reason, it was only for omegabeard

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Casu Marzu posted:

Do we have a chocolate thread?

I'm looking for a decent milk chocolate or lower percent dark chocolate that doesn't have all the extra poo poo in it. The fancy milk chocolates all seem to have extra flavors or nuts or something added in. I just want a good milk chocolate bar to snack on when the craving hits.

honestly, I've tried a ton of expensive chocolate recently, and like you said, everything seems to have extra poo poo in it.

Lindt is supposed to be the basic "good" chocolate, with nothing else added. It just tastes like chocolate, but I guess that's all there is - there's not like a magic chocolate that tastes 90x better than normal well made chocolate.

that said, the one type that has really satisfied my "artisinal" chocolate craving is taza chocolate : https://www.tazachocolate.com

their gimmick is being "stone ground" - the chocolate has some grit to it. when I first took a bite, I was fairly impressed by its uniqueness, but then reading the label it says "Contains traces of almonds, cashews, coconut, hazelnuts and pecans." - this either just means they're doing due diligence on their nut allergy CYA, or they're adding a tiny bit of nuts and stuff in to their mix.

dunno, either way, give it a try. the 'cacao pura' was the first one I tried and what originally impressed me fwiw.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mons Hubris posted:

Has anyone by any chance bought the Noma fermentation book and tried to make one of the fermentation chambers they describe in the front of the book? I could use a little advice on the specific items you bought to put the whole thing together (and how putting a space heater under a blanket or plastic sheet doesn't burn your house down).

on my xmas list...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

“Full retard” could be better phrased. Please?

'full autist' works probably about as well, retard seems to capture the sentiment pretty well though

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Croatoan posted:

Cool cool, my 8 year old son has autism, wanna just straight up call my son names or make fun of him?

ya lol hell yeah like shootin fish in a barrel let;s go!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
orkdappgar
graopkasmkawladawidnaeoirgmnpsmndreg;ale

fdsooef;f;sda
hnhfkdgmldsmbg;ddflvmdsdcaksjxnzhjfiwj390j
fokwe

h ;ell yeah benihana up in this bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)