Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

dino. posted:

Thanks for the kind words about the book! There were some lovely 1-star reviews that said that apparently, a vegan book shouldn't discourage eating animal products. I guess they missed the big honking VEGAN right there on the cover. >_<

Also, apparently I have to sound like a loving robot when I write recipes. Any personality or chatting is horrible writing.

God I hate people sometimes.

Can I have a link to the book page on amazon?I know it's been posted in the past but not sure when.

EVG fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Well, it is kinda nice to be able to sear beef in a dutch oven and then make beef stew in the same vessel. You can also do it separately with a skillet, yes, but a little bit of the fond gets left behind that way.

But yes in general a aluminum/steel pot will work the same as an enameled dutch oven in most functions. When Cook's Illustrated reviewed dutch ovens, the All-Clad steel stockpot tied with the Le Creuset for first place.

I have this (the All-Clad steel stockpot) and it works great. Love it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Rule .303 posted:

I buy those and cook the carcass down with a pressure cooker, but I add in a tablespoon of vinegar to cook out the marrow and the collagen from the bones. I run it through a strainer and pick out the meat to add back in later. It sounds goulish, but when you do this you wind up with stock that wobbles like jello in the fridge.

I add celery and carrots and onions as a sort of garni that gets strained out with the bones, and add more veggies when I add the meat back in with potatoes. It is a great use for the back, wings, and the ever famous "chicken butt".

I'll be doing this next month with a friend who wants help learning to use her pressure cooker. (last month we made gedamptefleish with apricots in a pressure cooker 'cause her gramma used to make it)

I finally had enough carcasses to make stock, and it was a-wigglin' away in the fridge, and I realized that I have no idea what to do with it. Not in the mood for soup, I froze it in cubes and I guess I'll figure it out at some point...

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Rule .303 posted:

You can make some interesting variations on rissotto or cook up some broth with couscous or bulgar. I don't like it with egg noodles, which is odd since I tend to eat anything.

Yeah, I think my first thing will be the next time I cook up rice, toss one or two stock cubes of those in with or instead of the water and see how it comes out.

I didn't expect it to be QUITE as concentrated as it is, so I'm a little intimidated by it!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I like turtles posted:

Handy hint, if you're launching the first in what you hope to be a chain that is the "authentic" answer to Chipotle, make sure you spell check your menu first.

I've actually seen that a lot of the more authentic restaurants have more typos on the menus. :)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Edited out jeans talk because whatever I would have said has already been said a few posts back!

Does anyone have a link to the Spaghetti Carbonara thread? I wanted to try that recipe tonight but for the life of me, I can't find it in this forum or the Goldmine.

EVG fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 18, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Made The Jizzer's carbonara for dinner tonight. I really need to make a habit of cooking from single-recipe threads that have pages and pages of replies more often. It was fantastic, just like the chicken Marsala recipe I made the other day.

I love this forum.

Carbonara snipe: (because hell if I'm GISing for 'The Jizzer')

EVG fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 28, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

D'oh. Wish I'd thought of that. Any recommendations for the next great GWS recipe to try? I've had mixed results from the wiki.

Edit: to the ragu thread with me!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Scientastic posted:

But that's because you share a common misconception about the Trojans. Actually, it was the Greeks who were sneaky and sly. The Trojans lived in a fortified city state that was reputedly unconquerable.

Yeah, but the way the Greeks are going, you don't need to worry about babies.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Aramoro posted:

I really have no problem with chain restaurants like Fridays, they do what they do, it's not great food generally (I've never been to a Fridays admittedly) but it's fair enough if you like that sort of thing. But people like this I want to punch in their stupid loving faces. You all the way to Ecuador and ate in a Friday's 4 times? I hope they then ate a badly prepared Ceviche and had their bowels destroyed as punishment.

I don't have a problem with Fridays, really, except that everything they serve there is SO OVERSEASONED. If you go there, I hope you really, really like salt!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

It's getting cold out again and that means it's time for Inner Warmth Peanut Stew. Making this tonight with acorn squash because the store was out of butternut. I hope it's as good with the substitution.

For anyone who hasn't tried it, here is a link to the thread - I highly recommend it. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3445761

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

bunnielab posted:

Often this is because new shooters dont have any bad habits or a flinch.

Also, totally inlove with Chicago style hotdogs, where do I get the correct bright green relish and what are the peppers?

Sport peppers and dill pickle relish. Vienna makes the bright green kind, they put dye in it I believe. They also sell sport peppers but any brand of those and dill relish will work fine. Don't forget the tomatoes and celery salt!

Oh, and choped onions, yellow mustard, pickle spear and gotta use a steamed poppy-seed bun. Some places put lettuce on it but they are Wrong.

Edit: http://www.hotdogchicagostyle.com/makeyourown.php

EVG fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 13, 2012

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

dino. posted:

I really wanted to get across that I'm not there to tell anyone what to do, and that this is coming from a place of love and respect. I want people to reach out to me, because I love sharing what I know. How can I share if I'm coming from a place of condescension?

That was an amazing post. Bravo! I'm not on any fancy-pants fitness diet, but the broccoli and the toasted chickpeas both sound simple and amazing and I can't wait to try it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Happy Hat posted:

Wiggles is the proto-hipster, they flock to his land, and bear him offerings lumberjack shirts, and burn neck-beard trimmings upon his altar.

Wiggles teaches his disciples with a wrench in one hand, and the femur from a self-raised pig in the other.

He has 5 disciples, because 12 has been done before!

Wiggles is the epitome of cool, before cool was invented!

Sing his praises and burn your italian calf skin shoes on the bonfire!

When Wiggles goes hunting, he only goes after ground hogs and prairie dogs... because they're so underground.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

It's weird and I'm afraid of change!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Yeah, I see 1.99 vs 2.99-3.99 for non-sale prices generally.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Head Movement posted:

Are you actually pronouncing an r? I would have guessed not. If you actually are, I would guess that because Australian dialects typically don't pronounce syllable final r's that it's an instance of hyper-correction and putting r's where no one else actually has them. Other than that, the t disappeared as complex consonant clusters have a tendency to simplify over time. The last bit is either a syllabic l or schwa followed by l which is fairly typical.

More food related - explain "bahnahnar".

Edit: apparently banana art is a thing...

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I checked out their yelp page and my favorite part was under the 'tips' section:

Yelp, Rob C. 5/15/2013 posted:

I wanted to add this tip, but I think Samy pocketed it.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:angel: There's three seasons of masterchef out there.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but I kinda love that show. :)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

KWC posted:

This is the winner. http://toddycafe.com/
I make one of these carafes each week and it is perfect. Boil up some water to make my morning coffee, or just mix it with cold water and milk/cream etc. for iced. super easy. I'm sure you could do it without the special parts, but this makes it pretty idiot proof.

Yes, this. What I was going to say - delicious perfect iced coffee every day.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So anyway, just in case anyone was wondering, deciding to go back to college in your 30s to earn the degree you always really wanted is not the erudite and civilized bit of classical education that you imagined it would be. Rather, it is being thrown into an awful blender of terrible people with even more terrible opinions who make the comments section of youtube look like the Athenian Academy, with instructors who must teach to the lowest common denominator, and it is absolutely no fun at all at this stage.

Hopefully I will be able to test out of a lot of upcoming stuff and move directly to a master's program in a few years.

My husband is doing that now, and he turns 40 this year. There is a bit of frustration when he's assigned group work that no one else cares to do their part on, but mostly it's been ok. What's your degree going to be?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I don't think people are afraid of GWC. I think it got overmoderated and turned into crap. A lot of the folks who really knew what they were doing and contributed a lot stopped caring when it became a forced feel good zone and you had to gladhand the gbsfood types who posted poo poo food. When gws was first its own forum, it was meat ships and hot dog rollups and people worked hard to turn into a good food zone. But thinskinned idiots whined when posters made fun of their hamburger mac and said we were snobby. Which I suppose we were, but in a productive way. Now, for the most part, no one bothers to post good stuff and no one bothers to post crap either. So we have a bunch of megathreads but really nothing original or unique to offer.

Delete GWC.

I was just noticing the other day that there are no recipe threads anymore. It's all megathreads. I miss seeing a new recipe posted with the images and step-by-step instructions, and seeing everyone else's replies when they try it, etc. :(

But, the intimidation might have something to do with that. If you're not a great cook it can be hard to consider posting a recipe, when you have to wonder "Will I get torn a new one for not making (insert x ingredient) from scratch?". I mean, some time back I posted about a spinach pie I made for the first time 'from scratch' (ie, didn't use pre-frozen spinach, etc) but got questioned on whether I made the phyllo pastry myself. It's discouraging.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I just miss good, detail given, step by step pic recipe threads. I tried carbonara for the first time because of that thread, and it was AMAZING.

I'm much more likely to read a new thread than dig through a lot of the megathreads... and when something really is phenomenal, it's great to be able to FIND it again.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I'd kinda be interested in a thread to class up crappy recipes.

Example: I have a secret love affair with tuna helper. But could this be turned into real food? Maybe a seared tuna filet with some sort of fresh noodles & peas and a cream sauce?

Love Hamburger Helper? Have someone share their ragu or bolognese or something something recipe.

Replacement for Beef pot roast with lipton's onion soup packet? How about a easy chicken taco recipe to stop people from making crock-pot salsa chicken? Real mac-n-cheese with delicious add-ins instead of Kraft dinner? Tyson frozen chicken nuggets replaced by ad hoc at home fried chicken? Pepperoni hot pocket replaced by calzone with home-made dough?

Share with easy step-by-step instructions and images that babby can follow.

I'd love to see people sharing their favorite crappy go-to (or childhood favorite) and get a forum super-star upgrade to try. Could even make it a friendly challenge, maybe, for the original contributor to try the new version.

Or perhaps an ISCA with this as a theme. (If this hasn't already been done)

(Edit: I'd be on the crappy end of this spectrum, but willing to learn!)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Geez, sorry. "Learn Real Recipes" can be daunting to someone who doesn't really know how to cook. Trying to change something bad into something good is hard when you only know how to follow existing recipes. And an abject failure or two goes a long way towards making you not want to try again.

It was just an idea.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I don't see why it would be an abomination - a recipe for something like the example given - a seared tuna filet with a cream sauce and a noodle/veg side - that COULD be a real recipe. It could be a restaurant quality dish if someone with the know-how put their mind to it. It sounded like a fun challenge, kinda like some of the stuff you see on Hell's Kitchen or Top Chef.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I'd be willing to volunteer as a testee for the first thread. Using the tuna helper example, I've never made real seared tuna, (I've made sesame-crusted salmon once before, how hard can it be? :ohdear:) and would like to try again with a cream sauce - the last one I tried broke and was horribly discouraging, but gotta get back on that horse.

Or maybe something like NICSA with a small prize for the best voted variation? I'd put in :10bux: for that (and of course would exempt myself from winning). Make the prize be something like the Flavor Bible or one of those books that everyone always recommends for someone learning to cook?

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I miss Mrs. Gunderson.

I think it'd be great to have more specific recipe threads. If it's not great, who cares? Just let it fall off the page - with so many active megathreads, it's not like it will take long for a bad thread to sink under.

I feel guilty because that fried chicken sounds amazing and I keep MEANING to make it, but all I've managed to make is excuses. I'll redeem myself with pie, hopefully.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I kept telling myself, "Self, Thomas Keller says to use small chickens which is VITAL to the proper breading/meat ratio. So, I need to go to Whole Foods or TJ's and get a nice, happy chicken. Not one of those bloated, 8lb purdue monstrosities". I never made it over that ways so never bought my "vital" small chicken so never fried it.

I'm sadly good at these excuses. But I bet it WOULD taste better with a better chicken. Will try to make it out this weekend.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

That's really sad to hear. You and Steve/puppy always sounded so cute together, and after you put together such a special Christmas last year.

I'm glad at least that it was mutual and you can still remain friends. You don't know me (although I feel like I know you), but *hugs* anyways.

Words may not help, but if you'd like a bottle of craft gin from Chicago, send me an address and it is so coming your way. Call it a thanks for all the recipe help in the past.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Groooooossssssssss

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

GWS Culinary Chat: Now with more cursing in German

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy would you do this :gonk: :gonk: :gonk:

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Sleepy Sheep posted:

You guys remember that "How to Cook Dinner In A Coffee Pot" video?

The local Las Vegas news channel just ran it. Completely seriously.

I wanted to weep when I saw it on my NPR feed, also in earnest.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/11/15/245442083/coffee-maker-cooking-brew-up-your-next-dinner

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Had belated Xmas at my yiayia's today. Was saddened that she opted not to do lamb (it was too expensive) and bought a pre-cooked ham instead.

Then, proceeded to cook it.

For 6 hours.

At least the spanakopita was delicious as ever!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

The outside was as tough as leather and inedible, it was like she'd forgotten to take a rubber coating off it. It peeled away from the pink inside which was tolerable if you got a middle slice. Luckily my mom also brought a turkey, pre-cooked (in a bag, natch) and reheated. That was the opposite, wet and falling apart with practically melted skin, but as with the ham, there were edible bits to be picked off.

I only see my yiayia a couple times a year so it was still worth the 5 hr drive. Also, if you've never had melomakarona (Greek Christmas cookies soaked in honey with nuts) get to a Greek bakery ASAP because they are amazing.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

It really does. :)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

Well, you couldn't be expected to peel 3 potatoes on your own. That would take AGES!

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

I got called out on saying this before, but I'll say it again. Ghirardelli boxed brownie mix makes the most delicious brownies. And I've made brownies from scratch using other recipes, none of them are ever as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I agreed with you 100% until I decided to start buying good cocoa (I use it rarely enough it's little added expense) and made this recipe. If the description sounds good, give it a try.

What cocoa do you buy? We always use Penzey's Dutch process cocoa. It may be that I just had bad scratch recipes. :) It took me a long time to realize that ATK, while informative and entertaining, is not always going tone perfect (despite them pretty much claiming that).