Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just got back from hunahpu's day and it was a total shitshow, but it was apparently way better than the previous years. They really do need to throw this party somewhere else though, because there's no way 10,000 people should have been in that parking lot. Towards 1:00pm the crowd was so strong that it was nearly impossible to get a beer from anywhere popular.

Anyway I got to try some good rear end beers and had a lot of fun today.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I am in no hurry to attend a FL beer event anytime soon (I thought Chicago was a bit rough, why're all the FL folks so aggressive? They're in paradise, right?!)

Funny thing is most affluent people in florida (IE the beer geek demo) are transplants from New England. That's not saying Florida natives are idiots either but that video was a pretty good representation of the beer lines at around 2:30pm for the people who did listen to the advice on the facebook announcement.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Docjowles posted:

LOL at the Hunaphu's fiasco, Jesus H Christ. This is why I don't really bother to go to beer releases or events anymore, the culture has become some sort of terrible self-parody. Obviously there are many, many awesome people in the hobby as evidenced by the GWS community (holy poo poo, this most recent BIF round :stare:) but there's now more than enough shitlords looking to scam/exploit every angle to hoard beer, or just get hammered and start poo poo, around to ruin events.

If there's anything to "blame" CCB for it's being too friendly and naive. This isn't your first rodeo, guys. You're releasing a megawhale and at the same time making it into a festival of other breweries pouring megawhales. It should not be a surprise that the White Kia Soul's of the world will show up and try to buy up as many cases as they can carry. Or that like 10,000 drunk people jammed into a parking lot might not be on their best behavior.

From opening to about 12:30 was the best time to be there but around 12:45 people started camping the front of lines waiting for the tap changes. At 1pm they put on a bunch of big name beers that people really wanted to try so people would get to the front of a beer line and just stand there. I didn't get to try anything from the goliath stand due to that kinda behavior but I got to try a bunch of good beer from small places because my friends and I always chose the shorter lines and were often really satisfied with what people had to offer us. As to the crowd being a bunch of bro'd out jerks, that's kinda to be expected of South Tampa but it was really surprising how the neckbearded sperglord mustached crowd that arrived early in the morning was eventually drowned out by tanned dudes in boat shoes trying to impress their eye-rolling girlfriends with poo poo they read on a sam adams label.

A friend of mine waited in line for the cases of double barrel early in the day and they ran out right as he got to the front of the line. So it really was a perfect storm of "too many people," "a sleezelord's son should know how to run a business better," and "people are dickheads" because when you can buy a $20 bottle and immediately sell it for $40 or more, you know people are going to exploit that poo poo and ruin a fun event.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eejit posted:

Seems like CCB really, really poorly planned the internal physical organization of the event, were severely understaffed, and aren't aware that there are companies to handle ticketing. There is no reason why people should be allowed to camp the front of the line. You get to the front, you give ticket, you get pour, gtfo. With the right design, you give space for a line and for an exit at each station and sometimes you need "bouncers" to ensure the lines move efficiently. Like, those spaces need marshals to make sure lines are orderly and moving, that's just how it goes. Even in the military you have dudes supervising lines of dudes trained to walk in lines. And seriously, just contract with a ticketing company that can do online sales and then do barcode scanning at the event.

ee:

Hahaha, so basically the event was completely out of control. Amazing.

Line cutting was really common as well but at least people who did that were more keen to get their beer, immediately walk away, check their list off and go hunt down something else. They were on a mission and by god they were going to get hammered. I was pretty much going by that mission as well so that's why I can give an unbiased opinion on the event and give a man on the street account, of the first few hours.

And it really was out of control. Pictures don't do it justice how packed it got at around 3:00pm.

The food was good too by the way. We probably should have picked something other than barbecue because halfway through we figured out it was a terrible idea due to the mess it made. Everything looked so good but the barbecue truck smelled amazing and I was on a viking mission for a turkey leg.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

danbanana posted:

Math for moralists:

9000 people - 3500 tickets = A lot of assholes in FL.

Welcome to Florida, I hope you don't watch the news!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ha, that's an amazing gift. Just don't give it away to someone who snuck in.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wish marshall zhukhov could be made year round because I love the old label, but I understand that it's financially more lucrative to only release it seasonally so I'm cool with that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Hunahpu's is a very hard beer to brew because it's humongous and our system isn't made for it. We did a beer called Cafe Americana that was a batch of Hunahpu's that didn't turn out right. In fact we had another batch (one meant for this years Hunahpu's Day) that also didn't turn out right and now that's sitting in barrels to become BA Cafe Americana. And because of that we had to brew another batch to make up for it, and that one actually fermented way too much, so we had to blend in yet another batch to get that one to where it should be.Every year we brew it and Zhukov's, the brewers want to kill us. Very labor intensive and there's no guarantee it'll turn out perfect anyway, much as there isn't for this batch we are going to do for free. Of course we will do it again no matter what until we get it right, but it really is a pain. Plus the time spent fermenting, sitting on spices, etc., really adds up over time when we can be doing more Jai Alai or Florida Cracker, which are fairly painless and very highly coveted.

In my humble opinion, I love florida cracker for beach days and the name is one of my favorite puns so it's decent catch 22 you guys got going.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nerd Grenade posted:

So I just spent a week in Brussels drinking Delirium Nocturnum which was probably the best beer I've ever had, anyone know how widely available it is in the US? And also can anyone reccomend any similar beers that I should try? I'm pretty much an amateur when it comes to beer since the majority of the beer I drink is cheap and tastes awful.

You can get it at most specialty stores, like liquor stores or places that specialize in a wide assortment of alcohol. I know some states don't have liquor stores because their super markets carry liquor (Louisiana has hosed up liquor laws by the way) and it's relatively common but not super-market common, though I think the upscale super markets like whole foods and trader joes might have it.

Also if you ask politely and shop there often enough, you may be able to get your local store to order it for you. I know my local supermarket was super cool with this when I was in college, but I think the manager may have been a beer geek because they sometimes stocked old rasputin normally.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 12, 2014

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't keep a crazy cellar but it might encourage me to keep finding goofy poo poo at my local craft beer store.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Angry Grimace posted:

If I ever owned my own brewery, I would hire one of those guys that makes those fantasy T-shirts that my dad used to wear for all of the labels. You know, ones with like a bunch of wizards fighting, or wolves in the snow, etc.

In my mind, this sounds awesome.

gently caress that, hire Kristian Wahlin and run your business into the ground making nothing but stouts and juniper IPAs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cointelprofessional posted:

I'll be in New Orleans few days. What beers and breweries should I look out for while I'm there?

Abita's not amazing but it's decent. I wouldn't suggest driving out to their brewery on the other side of the lake from NOLA. Their Turbodog was my favorite when I lived in the area due to how cheap it was, it's just a dark brown ale with a moderate malt content. Andygator's a ferocious helles dopplebock that you can sometimes get mixed with their Purple Haze (PH is awful on it's own) and it cuts down on the astringent taste but keeps the high abv for the college kids. Avoid their fruit beers.

FYI you can drink in public in NOLA year round. Some of the more touristy bars will ask you if you want your drink "To Geaux" (and yes they'll spell it in that kitschy way) where they'll pour it into a plastic cup for you.

Not really beer related but you're not experiencing the true alcoholistic debauchery of Louisiana if you don't get a daiquiri via a drive through. It's not an open container unless you put a straw in it or take off the paper on the straw if they give it to you with a straw in it. :siren: But please don't drink and drive. :frogsiren:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you're going to tampa I recommend visiting Mr. Dunderbaks over on the north side of town near USF, which is about a half hour to 45 minutes away from CCB depending on traffic/time of day. They have good german food and a wide variety of beer. They have outside seating but I have no idea how cool they are with pets there. Their website's kinda dumb by the way but it has an up to the minute taplist (handy to pull up on a smartphone while you're there) and has directions to the place. I suggest their rueben if you're into that or the jagerschnitzel if you're very hungry.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Mister Macys posted:

What I used was tall and narrow; almost like a graduated collins glass.

So like a pilsner glass which is meant to bring out a lot of head?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

crazyfish posted:

Not a label, but someone posted this a while back and I had to remind us all of its existence.

This is just color inverted goatse to me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Retemnav posted:

Flashback to some Geocities sites... If only the candle flame was a flickering GIF.

Make it one of those holograms that flickers when you turn the bottle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

whoa, Patriot Joe is on some next-level trolling

I'm still unsure if I would regularly buy and drink a goatse beer but it certainly would be funny to invite people over and tell them to grab us some beers from the fridge and hear their reactions.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Haters vacate, this label owns. So much so that we purchased the rights to the brand.

Oh my god. I must have patriot goatse beer. Is this something you can disclose or not?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Even though I know you just made that label, I want to believe this is real.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A coworker told me about Two Henry's brewing here in florida and after a cursory trip through google learned that CCB kinda helped them get on their feet which is pretty cool. Has anyone tried any of their stuff? I was thinking of stopping by my local brew shop after work and wondered if it was worth fighting through traffic for.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

deadwing posted:

Their beers are very standard microbrews, pretty servicable if you're there, but absolutely nothing worth going out of your way for. It's kinda more a "your girlfriend wants to go to Keel and Curly and the last thing you want to drink is sweet as hell fruit-addition wines" kinda thing than a beer destination.

I do hear they've been stepping things up though, they changed their recipe on their Chocolate Stout last time I was there and it was pretty solid, if thin bodied. Apparently they're serving it on nitro-tap now which is not going to help with the body. I thought their Black IPA was pretty good, the pale ale I had was pretty not good, and the normal IPA was a shameless DFH 60 clone.

Cool. I did see what their beers where before I came in and asked about them, and really just wanted to know how that chocolate stout is and how their black IPA tasted. Everything else just looked samey and not really worth trying. I'll keep my eye out for them at my beer store and I'm going to jacksonville saturday to visit a friend and go to a comedy show, so if Two Henry's sells the stout or black IPA in bottles I think it would be cool to drop by and pick up some brews to bring with me.

Thanks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
drat that's a big quarter.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Our beers are poo poo after like 6 months

Alright time to drink my last bottle of hunahpu this weekend I guess.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Podima posted:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/how-not-to-get-drunk This sounds like some serious voodoo bullshit. Anyone have any idea if this actually works worth a drat?

Why would I want to eliminate the one chemical byproduct that lets me talk to girls?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HatfulOfHollow posted:

The law does nothing to serve the public. All it does is make some rich people richer by forcing growing businesses to deal with a 3rd party. It's a shameless moneygrab and people should be outraged by every politician who votes for it.

Welcome to Florida politics.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

And the award for most insufferable state politician goes to...

How is that even legal?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schpyder posted:

Unfortunately, state (and federal!) legislatures can pretty much pass (and with the executive's signature, enact) whatever the gently caress laws they want, and until they're challenged and overturned in court or repealed through the legislative process, they're the law of the land. So basically, the answer is "because whatever a law says is legal is legal, until a judge or legislature says it isn't."

'MURRICA

Oh I meant the obvious corruption but that's for a different thread I guess.

But I got to try last years dark lord last weekend among some other beers. I liked it but I'd love to have it fresh. Did try a CCB aged in pinot noir barrels and that was my favorite of the day. And I wish I was able to have dropped by the brewery on tuesday to full up with some barrel aged zhukov but oh well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

a worthy uhh posted:

I don't know if they announced the beers at any point historically but I saw the box art for the Beer Camp 12pack, and I'm slightly disappointed.

Russian River Belgian Style Blonde, Allagash Belgian Style Pale Ale, Three Floyds Pale Ale, Victory Brewing Altbier, Firestone Walker Hoppy Pilsner.. they all seem like things that the respective breweries have done, well, in the past. Not a particularly inspired list IMHO.

I guess what it comes down to is that I should probably look at this more like "Sierra Nevada Presents the best of 12 brewers Macro drinkers haven't heard of", and call it a good way for these guys to show off what they do well. I can live with that.

That said, I'm still buying it. And I think it'd be cool for goons to make a plan to drink the 12pack in conjunction, and throw some reviews out there for the same beer on the same night. Once it hits shelves I'll post this idea again.

Man that looks good. I hope they'll have a wide distribution on it. Nothing really outlandish so it looks like your average joe will see it at the super market and give it a shot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Josh Wow posted:

Ya'll are missing the best one, the Asheville Brewer's Alliance Tater Ridge Scottish Ale. It's made with real sweet potaters, cause we're from the south hyuck.

Great now you've ruined the only other beer I actually wanted to try on that list.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bartolimu posted:

I went to a Hangar 24 beer dinner last night and it was pretty great. I'd somehow never had Betty before, and I have to say it's a legitimately great IPA. Sadly the rest of the beer list was their regular release stuff (Columbus IPA, Alt-Beer, Chocolate Porter which I like a lot) instead of the hoped-for Pugachev's Cobra or Hammerhead. It was still a pretty good event.

It was also a warning shot to my liver, because next week is Goose Island Migration Week and the geese are making a stop in Vegas this year. 2010 BCS vanilla has been promised along with 4-5 other unusual limited-release beers, and there are beer dinners, tap takeovers, and tasting events all over town from Tuesday through Saturday.

Gonna write up a eulogy now in preparation. That sounds good as hell.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Last saturday my friend brought a growler of rum barrel Marshal Zhukov to a share and I was very excited because I wasn't able to make it to CCB last tuesday and really wanted to try it. Then another friend reminded me that he gave me a sample on Huna day and I totally forgot about it because of how late in the day he gave it to me, and then I felt really bad about that.

But I'm glad I at least now remember trying it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

dude i know made a bunch of posts on facebook angrily demanding to know who opened his DBH and how hosed up it was that they did it after he left, etc, etc... and then someone posted a picture of him pouring it for people. whoops!

I really hope he saw that and went "ok now I'm just glad other people got to enjoy it too"

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

ReaperUnreal posted:

Just going back to the label chat a few pages back, sometimes breweries take the time to make real art and it's great. Beau's brewery does art well enough that they actually sell posters of their labels. Here's some choice examples:

I like the bogfather one the best and really wanna try it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HatfulOfHollow posted:

A few of the reports I read said it had a sort of rancid acidic bile smell. Sort of like vomit. I wanted to get a bottle just to gently caress with people.

It kinda has that to it. It's not as gross as the bacon wrapped bandaid that their Floyd D'Rue was, so it wasn't an atrocity and I kinda didn't mind it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Goses since they dehydrate the poo poo out of you, but I got to try some Westbrooke Gose last week and it was alright. Don't think I could find myself regularly drinking it though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Heads up to anyone that missed out on Huna due to it running out before you could get some:

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/the-make-up-batch-of-hunahpus-imperial-stout-is-ready/?age-verified=5b5e509fe7

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

swickles posted:

Canned White Oak Jai Alai is here. Gonna go try and drown myself in it to have the most delicious death ever.

It's really good, picked up some last weekend. I'm kinda excited for horchata.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

krustster posted:

Horchata Jai Alai?? :pwn:

Just an ale, I love both Mexican and Spanish horchata so I'm kinda pumped for it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cointelprofessional posted:

A local brewery, which makes great beer, just announced their new patio.

And yes, it's in a industrial warehouse area.

Those seats in the shade seem legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Sirotan posted:

Well, this is pretty sweet:

What the gently caress, no Pluto?