Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Compusaurus posted:

Sucaba was fine. It was sent in a wine shipper which insulated it a bit.

Speaking of, I'm enjoying this year's version of said beer a lot more than last year's, which was my least-favorite in the series. There's a little more fig flavor and the caramel seems held back compared to last year's. Or, more accurately, how it's tasted every other year except last year's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Astoria is the epitome of "fine place to visit, would love to live here and whine about it incessantly". That's in part because it looks like this from start to finish

It is filled with stately, 100-year-old, falling-apart buildings, which are falling apart because it rains about 320 days every year and is built on top of a hill and so everybody's basement is in a semi-permanent flooded state. I love that look of it, and I also love Astoria's dive bars (like the one above), since the extant ones were built largely by Finnish immigrants in the 1920s and look like they haven't been renovated since.

I think I've posted about this in the past but my wife's family is from there and her grandma's house, built in the late 20s, was a prized house in the neighborhood because for some reason it was always in perfect condition with little to no maintenance for the entirety of its existence, basement or otherwise. It's a great town to spend a few days in - becomes a total poo poo show for the wine & crab festival - but there's a reason something like 80% of the people under 30 have either found or are actively looking for jobs outside the town.

That said, scenically it's a marvelous place - photographer's dream, views from everywhere (the bridge view and the view from the tower are things you kinda have to see at some point in your life). "Quaint seaside town" is a nice summary but it's much more than that.

I haven't been up there since Buoy opened but we've got a pair of weddings to attend in Astoria this year and I'm especially excited to hit up Buoy & Ft. George and fill a bag with growlers. Thanks for re-firing me back up for those trips.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

https://www.generosity.com/memorial-fundraising/tony-gwynn-museum--2

$100 donation gets you early access to all 2016 AleSmith special releases. Their IG seemed to indicate proxies would still be a thing so maybe something worth looking into.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

$100 AleSmith Priority Package
Fans of AleSmith beers have the opportunity to be first in line, literally and figuratively, for every specialty release in 2016. This perk will allow recipients to purchase specialty beers online a day before the public AND pick up those beers at AleSmith’s Tasting Room one day ahead of the public.
102 out of 100 claimed

(I know you're not questioning the logic behind buying in but I thought I'd share my logic for anyone else...)

Over the last two years I've averaged 20.5 bottles/year from AleSmith via the brownpapertickets releases. That number would have been higher if I'd been able to get in on a few other releases I was shut out of. So, let's say average 25 bottles/yr, that's another $4/bottle to basically not have to worry about getting shut out for 12 months. They've already said they're doing another round of BA Viet Speedway which makes getting to dodge the F5 shitshow worth the $100 on that future release alone.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Spanish Manlove posted:

How does pineapple sculpin compare to grapefruit sculpin, and regular sculpin?

Inconsistent from one bottle to the next just like the rest of the line. Also, the pineapple will come out a little more if it's closer to 50°. I bought a sixer the day it hit shelves and still have a few left.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Anyone got a "24 hours of beer in Portland, OR" guide?

Extra credit for places that serve decent food and epic bottle shops I can hit to fill up my styro shipper before getting back on the plane.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

dphi posted:

In addition to Belmont Station, check the tap list at Growler Guys. They have a crowler machine so that's a good way to get some tap only stuff while here. Imperial bottle shop also has a good selection and fills/pressurizes/caps 16oz bottles of what they have on tap.

Thank you! And to air-! The Doo Do Chasers as well! Exactly what I was looking for.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Modern Times chat: gonna reiterate that City of the Dead will be the best shelf beer they sell. Buy it all.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Went into the beer fridge with no real idea of what I might want to have tonight. Came out with a 2013 Narwhal.

I've never really loved this beer fresh, and even with a year or so on it I felt it was way too bitter and astringent for the style. It's always tasted like they added star anise extract. Apparently that goes away after three years because dear lord this is nice now.

Comes off a lot like dark cocoa powder with a thick woody oak backing; if I had this next to, say, an Abyss with 18 months on it, I'm not sure I'd be able to tell one from the other.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

My company does a half day on St. Patrick's and a full day off the next day (literally a recovery day) so I decided to warm up with some Hammerhead Speedway.

I've never been able to break down coffee like I can do for beer but basically it's regular Speedway on Canseco-esque steroids. Drink fresh. Don't sit on your local that gets a keg. It's not as complex as some of their other recent special releases but moreso a barrage of what "makes" Speedway, if that makes sense.

They are almost certainly going to do double and triple hammerhead bottles this year which is where the action should really happen but I'm not disappointed with what's in my glass.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

a worthy uhh posted:

There were at least 2 different ones in the past few years AFAIK

If your bottle shops are anything like the shops around here who got those Westy bricks, they probably just held them back for a special event like a black Friday release or something along those lines. 12.12.12 was the only time those were actually released in the US, for the very specific purpose of funding renovations to the monastery. But as was stated above, just get Rochefort and don't sweat tracking down the Westy bottle. The difference isn't enough to justify the price.

Also Control Volume you're missing St. Bernardus 12 so you might as well give up.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Eejit posted:

I'm visiting San Diego this weekend. Last time I was there I visited Acoustic, Belching Beaver, Hess, Societe, Council, Helm's, Quantum, Ballast Point, Intergalactic, 2kids, Ritual, Double Mountain, Stone, and Modern Times. Tentatively have AleSmith, South Park, Fall, Half Door, and Toolbox on the list. Are any of those bad and am I missing any good ones I haven't visited yet?

FYAD SECRETARY posted:

only one I can think of is Rip Current

Skip Half Door, the food is better than the beer and the food isn't really amazing or anything. If you are going to be downtown go over to The Local, on 4th just north of Broadway, where inside the bar is a new brewery, Resident Brewing. The guy who made that R&R Coconut IPA with Stone opened his own shop and the reports are all positive so far. Apparently the coconut IPA actually tastes like the homebrew version he won with in the first place.

In addition to those two and Rip Current (for food and beer), venture east a bit and try Burning Beard and Helix Brewing, or hit up one of the Pizza Ports. Ask for the beer crust, too. If you go to either Burning Beard or Helix, get a California burrito from el Azteca, eat it at a brewery, and let it change your life.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

keep an eye out for Stickee Monkee, Sucaba's sweeter sibling

I found a bottle of the previous release of that last week and felt like I won a lovely lottery. It might be their best beer.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

HEY NYC

Modern Times is going to be bringing kegs to the city for a week, to three bars and some bottle shops as well. I have no clue if the below tweet's going to embed or not so worst case scenario just read the link and their infographic:

http://twitter.com/ModernTimesBeer/status/725058488800563202

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Was thinking about this - is there anything I should absolutely look for while they're here?

Probably depends on what they bring but City of the Dead is in their year-round lineup now and is must-try. If Hooloomooloo is on draft it's worth trying, and any version of Monster's Park as well. Their barrel-aged offerings are across the board quite solid so you won't go wrong if they are tapping anything that's been in wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Jorge Von Bacon posted:

Found a list and it looks like there will be City of the Dead, an Apricot Fruitlands, BA Monster's Park, and BA Devil's teeth. Here's a list of what's confirmed: http://nycraftbeerguide.com/news/sa...campaign=buffer

I'll definitely try for City of the Dead, and Fruitlands I think

BAMP and BADT are worth your time and money, for what it's worth. Had the BA Devil's Teeth with coffee last night and it's a very well-rounded beer.