Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

dude, they're gonna have fifty.

talked to the guy who owns NY Deli and Don't Look Back- they're taking over the old BlowToad space and their 24 taps (and BlowToad's crazy-rear end oven) and will probably be open before Mellow Mushroom and however many loving taps they're gonna have, so if they make a point of not having all the same poo poo... could get interesting.

:aaa: Carytown's gettin' crazy. Can't wait for that!

In other news, picked up a bottle of Uinta Birthday Suit. Really wanna drink it now, but my birthday's in a month (though I'm delaying any celebration by a day since my thesis defense is the next loving morning, naturally) so I suppose that will have to wait. Any goon opinions yet? I'm somewhat of an Uinta fanboy, so I'll probably be singing its hyperbolic praises regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I still have that loving pink bottle. It sits around and whispers ominously in the middle of the night, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Goes so nicely with my Crystal Skull Vodka bottle full of Mio in a tiny shopping cart.

Worst beer with decent rep has to be a tie between Starr Hill Northern Lights and Epic Sour Apple Saison. The Northern Lights tasted like a skunkier PBR and tasted so strongly awful that I dumped it rather quick. Between that and having a few other disappointments I didn't go back to them for awhile, but have since tried Northern Lights again and found it mediocre. Sour Apple Saison tasted exactly like bologna, but apparently I was the only one who thought so. So that went on to happily bubble away in someone else's gut.

Worst experience with a beer? This Lithuanian beer, a triple bock I think, that came in a deceptively bountiful bottle and had way too much alcohol for $3. Smelled like dog treats, but the taste was somewhat bearable and it hid its alcohol really well. Too well. I remember the bottle had one of those illustrated faces that looks different when you invert it, and the name played into that somehow. Anyhow, my eyebrow hasn't looked the same since that night. Pretty sure that beer was handcrafted to murder people indiscriminately.

Oh, and recently I had a Hoptimum (bait-and-switched at a Steal the Glass night) after having just finished a Sour in the Rye. Don't do that.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Went to the same event as funkybottoms. '09 Backwood Bastard (or "Backwards Bastard" on their menu) was the highlight of my night, with ABT 12 on oak being the letdown--a fantastic beer, but I couldn't detect much oak at all and it didn't seem that far from the normal variety. Imperial Biscotti Break was also deliciously chocolate-filled and satisfying, though I won't be going out of my way to try getting a bottle.

I do regret not getting the Brandy-aged Ovila and I hope it's still there when I head back. The folks I went with pussied out at like 9:30 so I didn't have the opportunity to try anything else.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

yeah, you guys left early- is your friend's lady not into the beer scene? the Ovila was still on this afternoon, but the Oak-Aged Yeti and Bourbon GBS were kicked and (as you might've seen) 2011 Calvados JW Lees Harvest is now on. and yeah, wasn't in love with that ABT 12, either.

Good to hear. That JW Lees is calling to me, too, so good to hear. I'll probably be hitting it up solo on Thursday to give some of the taps time to switch out and have a go at something new. As for the lady, I think she just wasn't feeling an event that night--got dragged along probably.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Hof Ten Dormaal's Barrel-aged Project #2: Cognac smells almost saccharine and not quite like I'd expect. Up front you get the tang of what feels like the beginning of a sour, but the burnt sugar, berry, and thick mouthfeel show up instead. It's pretty drat good so far, so you swallow and contemplate another sip. Then some kid comes along and shoves a wad of Bazooka Joe in your mouth. Except this isn't the hardtack bullshit that comes with your check at a bad diner. No, this makes you want to chew your own tongue to get at more of it.

I love this beer. I want to write lovely ballads and star in a sitcom with it. I'd empty out the urns of all my dead cats and take them to the bar if Mekong would do growler fills.

If you see it, buy it and send it to me. Or just sit on it and I'll show up at your house eventually because I'll know. I'll know.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

speaking of regional beer stuff, any of you seen this? anything from Legend beating Cellar Door is laughable (not that aren't other jaw-droppers).

These are always infuriating, like those commercials with the Pizza Hut (or was it Domino's?) pasta being served at a restaurant and everyone freaking out over how good it was. :argh: loving plebs

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Since today's my birthday, I popped an Uinta Birthday Suit at the stroke of midnight. Though my girlfriend partook in a bit of it, I had to finish the rest on my own. Don't do that. It's not bad but you really need to share this beer with others. Intensely tart, but at the cost of subtlety. Even though there's some chocolate-y, fruity stuff in the background, the initial shock of tartness is so unbalanced that it hardly matters since it sticks around for so long. Not a horrible sour, but I expected more from a 20th anniversary beer. Especially from Uinta.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

gently caress. Really? John Waters kinda balances that out, but the Birthday Suit was meant to be an anesthetic for the three grueling hours I spent dealing with someone's interpretation of Kant vs Deleuze's Spinoza. It's only fitting it'd be his birthday as well, that rat bastard. As far as Doom goes, I'll be swinging by the TDubs whenever I wake up from my birthday stupor. Hopefully there'll be some Enjoy By left over, but I kinda doubt it.

For more thought-provoking content, I've had Rampant DIPA twice now. Both times, somewhere in conjunction with olfactory and taste, I get crab. Like, the shellfish. Starting to think I may have some odd reaction to a hop strain or something, since this isn't the first time I've had a taste that nobody else picks up on in the slightest. There's still a few left in the six pack, so I may have to do a live tasting and really dig into it to figure that out.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

yup, Kant. a lot of good soccer players and Nicola Sacco, too!

i've got a line on a Doom for you, and i'm happy to add Enjoy By to the list if you'd like me to.

as for crab, do you mean the actual meat or Old Bay seasoning? if it's the latter, that's a flavor i get on occasion, but haven't been able to pinpoint it, either.

That would be amazing. I'd love a second bottle of Enjoy By. As for Doom, I actually almost bought it today at OUaV South, but there was a Sucaba sitting right next to it so I got that instead. No idea how I lucked my way into that. As for the crab taste, later on tonight I'll crack one and see what exactly I'm getting-- Old Bay pops up in my memory, but also a faint fishiness. We'll see.

I also acquired Maui's Aloha B'ak'tun since it looks like a pretty bizarre brew with some promise. And because I have yet to get back at my friend who brought the pink bottle around, I picked up Flying Dog's Green Tea Imperial Stout which looks like it'll be suitably incredibad.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

speaking of something, the beer buyer at one of the two shops i frequent either quit or was fired, so they put all the stuff she'd been hoarding out on the shelf with no limits. i snagged a BCBCS, Sucaba, Blushing Monk(!), Gingerbread Stout, and six-pack of 2008 Bigfoot, and could've gotten some BA Bigfoot and a few other things (or more of what i already had) if i was feeling greedy/had a lot more money.

:argh: Slim pickings by the time I got there. Picked up a lone 2010 Bigfoot, a 2012 Stone RIS, two Pizza Port/Stone Collab ales, and a four-pack of 2011 Black Chocolate Stout. Oh, and two more Enjoy Bys. Some vaguely bro-y guy came in while I was browsing and started lamenting to everyone who would listen that "the Black Ops was RIGHT THERE only 40 minutes ago! I saw it in a picture!"

Dream on, dude. Dream on. :allears:

Edit: Also, I may have been there on her last day two days ago. They were shelving stuff and one of the main dudes walked by a box of beer (Lagunitas I think) and nudged it off the stack. Bottles shattered and beer went everywhere. She looked mad pissed, and was a bit huffy before that too. It's a real shame she's gone and they're liquidating all the stuff she built up, as that was the only reason I really went there-- and if they don't bring back bottle limits, well, there goes the neighborhood. On top of that, today I heard some guy (had never seen him in there before) talking about changes to the cooler layout that sounded like a bad idea: they're sticking all the local stuff to the left, which kind of fucks up the current style system that works swimmingly.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 26, 2013

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Now he just needs to be shot into space and he'll truly be the Richard Garriot of beer.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Cantillon decided to get in on the canning bandwagon, I see.

Edit: Since I cannot make any beer-related decisions without consulting the hive-mind, here's a question: BCBS Vanilla Coffee, now or later? I seem to remember someone mentioning the vanilla flavor dropping off, but I might be thinking of another beer.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 5, 2013

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

A friend of mine who when it comes to beer I trust implicitly recent described that to me, so I'd go with "now."

Thanks for the feedback, but it turns out I have the coffee version. :saddowns: I'm an idiot. Same question, though!

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Are those holofoil beer labels? The one on the right has way too much going on for that color palette. It's like eye vomit until you puzzle it out.

The one on the left looks like they commissioned a middle schooler.

Edit: What the gently caress is happening to his left arm?

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 6, 2013

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Picked up Bacherotti Fluido 3/5 on a whim today. Anyone have any experience with this beer? Even hear of it before? I might have to solve this mystery tonight, but I'm a bit hesitant.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Trip report for the Fluido 3/5: Opened the bottle to find an odd plastic nipple on the underside of it nipple that pretty rank, like a fart in a bottle. The bottle itself smelled marginally better-- a bit earthy and herb-ish. I think this bottle is infected or something, not sure. RB notes call for a thin tan head, whereas I got diffuse, clear bubbles. Malty aroma and flavor? Negatory; slight tartness on the front that coats the tongue, a little malt towards the back with a licorice aftertaste. Kinda thin mouthfeel, but I feel like that helps it.

Verdict? Click here.

Kraven Moorhed fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 15, 2013

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Picked up Goose Island 25th Anniversary today in my ongoing quest to consume every ESB that passes in front of me. Judging by Honkers I was expecting something passable, but this is pretty drat good (if a bit different). Usual ESB characteristics abound: thicker texture, malty/sweet/biscuity flavors and just a tad bit of hops. But then you get smacked with a big sack of toasted rice. Definitely didn't expect it, but by halfway through I was sold. It's just strong enough to make its presence quite prominent as it goes down, but it doesn't overstay its welcome thanks to the faint hop twang. A second six pack is likely if I can track it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Y-Hat posted:

Also, here's the reason why it's called "Before After."

Hope you like dog biscuits. Not the worst beer I've ever had (the triple bock), but it's responsible for one of my worst experiences with alcohol. That bottle holds a deceptively large amount of beer.