Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Are heavy weapons making a comeback at all? I haven't seen any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

A wonderful person in the .gif thread made this:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Goddammit, of all the quests to gently caress up, it had to be the Conrad Verner one. I missed out on some of the best dialogue and only got to see the ending portion of the quest.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

This is a fictional story - no two important characters will ever share the same name.
David Anderson, David Archer. There have also been two Gavins and four Jacobs.:colbert:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

El_Elegante posted:

No, they don't even get one, I think. Some technobabble about being incompatible gets brought up in ME2.
I always thought that was foreshadowing for something, but I guess I was wrong. I figured that Harbinger was going to turn out to be a Prothean-Reaper, but since the codex says that he's the oldest known Reaper, that's not possible.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Mass Effect 3 is art.
I'm pretty sure someone already confirmed that this was a photoshop. I tried to confirm it myself, and I saw no camel-toe in-game.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Sombrerotron posted:

Here's a question: what happens if both Thane and Kirrahe are dead when Kai Leng makes his attempt? Does he just succeed and then escape as usual?
Kai Leng kills the salarian councilor and and makes a run for it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Fag Boy Jim posted:

glad it's plural, then. Still hoping for another squadmate as good as Javik, that Life Support room is still conspicuously empty.

It's probably for Aria. :shepface:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sorry, I'm pretty sure that counts as loving with Aria.
:shepface: No, but this does:

Sombrerotron posted:

Maybe Shepard will finally be able to get that threesome with Liara, then.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Does nuking the Collector station at the end of 2 eliminate a choice?
It determines which ending is easier to get.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Garrus Vakarian will be cloned over and over again by the Shepgod.

Until Garrus gets tired of Reaper-Shep's poo poo and assassinates him, even though that was all still part of Reaper-Shep's plan.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I'd like to remind everyone that Bioware tried to encourage people to buy Dragon Age 2 by giving away free copies of Mass Effect 2 for purchases made in the first month. At first that seems fair, because even a year after its release, I'd say Mass Effect 2 was worth shelling out $60, but then I remembered that Dragon Age 2 is worth -$60, in that I would pay someone to take it away.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Yeah, the only good part of the Dragon Age 2 finale was when Meredith brought the statues to life. Then you destroyed them and they got back up as Spider Robots. The game needed more of that kind of stuff.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Alain Post posted:

For all the guns ME3 has, they do a pretty good job of making them feel distinct.

A perfect game would have ME1's art design and soundtrack, ME2's variety, characters, encounters, dialogue, and overall tone, and ME3's weapons and combat refinements.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Mass Effect 2 is probably in my Top 3 favorite games of all time. The fact that it stripped down RPG mechanics doesn't really matter to me because it's ultimately Bioware's best game in so many respects.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Ascension was okay. Just okay.
Though in hindsight, that may just be because it fed my ME2 hype.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

More Harbinger would have improved Mass Effect 3 in more ways than I can count. It would have kept it truer to the spirit of 2, given it a proper final battle, tied up loose ends, avoided the stupid Star Child, and given the game a much sillier tone overall.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Kai Leng should have been replaced with whoever got left behind on Virmire after TIM Lazarus'd them and made them evil.

Kaidan Alenko: Winter Soldier

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Mass Effect 4 is going to be a space western where you explore weird alien worlds and punch people. It's literally everything we liked about Mass Effect 2. Get hype.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Moving to a new galaxy and forgetting most of the other series is good. The story of the characters/most races are complete anyway. To add anything more to the Krogan or the Reapers or the Geth or Garrus would just feel forced and stupid. Though there might be a few decent callbacks here and there.

Anyway, if we're to assume that Shepard's narration in that trailer is canon, then the only ending option is Destroy. In Refusal, everyone dies. In Synthesis, Shepard dies (and I highly doubt they're going to have the entire universe as hippie cyborgs in Andromeda). And in Control, Shepard no longer identifies as "Commander Shepard", so she wouldn't speak like that in the first place. So Max EMS Destroy is the canon ending.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

So, people are pretty certain the protagonist's name is Ryder. I know it's a low hanging fruit, but I'm just going to name him David and endlessly call him Blast Hardcheese, Roll Fizzlebeef, Deck Railington, and Big McLargehuge.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Didn't Witcher 3 also lose two of its leads during production? That turned out alright.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Man this list is so lovely. "There are bad guys fighting you" is apparently one of the dreaded criterions for *~*~Bioware Cliche~*~*

How much you wanna bet this was compiled by a comparatively well-adjusted TV Troper?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Witcher 3 isn't even as good as Witcher 2, and it falls into almost the exact same problems that goons grill Bioware games over. The story is better structured, but the characters are so loving uggghhhhhh... By the time Witcher 3 rolled around, the character writing had become so one-note and awful that I immediately knew every loving thing they were gonna do (Betrayal? What a shock!) They even sacrificed otherwise good character development (Djikstra) for the sake of being needlessly edgy.
It thinks it's smarter than its audience, when it really isn't. It's the same reason I like KotOR 1 and hate KotOR 2.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Not to derail too much, but that kind of opinion fairly depends on how much you're into open-world games. It's hard to argue that W2 had the better story (because come on, Bloody loving Baron) but it's relatively easy to propose the point that W3 got bogged down pretty badly in its open-world mechanics if you engaged them fully.

Yes, this is a big part of it. I think open-world stuff just bogs games down and dilutes level design. Just look at the consistent downward spiral of the Arkham games. This was a big problem I had with Inquisition, too. But in that game, I at least had likable characters chiming in now and then to break up the monotony.
Witcher 2 had a really inspired story and Geralt's arc was compelling. Letho is one of the best antagonists in RPG history. Witcher 3 was all just centered around the big, inevitable battle with the Wild Hunt, who totally lost all the mystique they had in the first two games and basically turned into orcs, rhetorically speaking.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean come on 'what if the force is evil for starting all these wars that we made up to sell more toys?' is not insightful.

Yep. That's KotOR 2. A stupid game that wasn't made by Bioware.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

Was he the guy who wanted to make the asari mother squadmate responsible for the sinking of the Spanish armada?

Maybe, but he's also the guy who wrote Mordin, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and the Tuchanka arc in ME3. So, like, the best stuff in the trilogy.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think there's a story that attracts more criticism from people who only read a summary of it on GameFAQs by XxX_Dark_Lord_Sephiroth_XxX, than the excellent KotOR2.

I've played through KotOR II several times trying to convince myself it's good.
It didn't work.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then how come you don't understand the story? Granted it's a jumbled mess at the end, but you got basic plot points wrong

Such as?
I get it. It's just a turgid, operatic shitpile.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

The story of KotOR2 isn't 'the force is bad for starting all these wars' or even 'the force is bad', hope this helps when you next spend twenty hours 'playing' it.

That's literally Kreia's entire ideology, which the game spends the entire time loving fellating and consistently contriving plots devices to validate. I can't even conceive how you ignored this.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Olanphonia posted:

Goddamn this thread is so long I have nostalgia for its beginning. Also the dear ME2 thread :rip:

Whole pages of nothing but ME avatars~

The ME2 thread was so good. Everyone was on cloud 9 about this loving series. I've been thinking about that a lot because I'm streaming through the whole series and I just started ME2. While the first game has definitely aged in many ways, ME2 is just as good as I remember. It's so nice. :)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

rocket_350 posted:

I think I just saw a Mass Effect reference in a major geopolitical story. Some group is claiming to have obtained NSA malware and is auctioning it off. They are calling themselves The Shadow Brokers.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2016/08/15/nsa-hacked-shadow-brokers-equation-group-leak/#73f17f2b77f9

People think they are Russians but I suspect they are actually Vorcha.

Vorcha not smart enough to create computer plague. Requires long-term planning and teamwork uncharacteristic of their kind. Technology could only have come from Collectors. :mordin:

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I want Andromeda to be good, but most projects with repeated delays and mass staff departures usually don't end up too great!

This is what happened to Witcher 3, if I recall. Many of the senior devs left and the game got pushed back like, a year.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Just played Omega for the first time last night.
Aria sucks. Nyreen is cool.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

wookieepelt posted:

It's been a while since I played it, but didn't she sacrifice herself to defy Aria?

Basically. She dies saving civilians while Aria was like "lol, gently caress them".

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I liked the villain in Omega. :shrug:

Oh yeah, he was kinda neat. He was better written than TIM in ME3. :v:

Also, I'm playing Leviathan for the first time now and I'm actually really enjoying it. It captures a Mass Effect 2-style atmosphere in the middle of ME3. It's less about WAR AND LOSS and more about mystery and intrigue. So much better.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

denimgorilla posted:

I wonder if the jet pack is context sensitive or if you can just use it anytime. It looked like just enough to jump to the pillars.

In one of the leaked videos, we saw a guy flying around in what appeared to be a combat section.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Bioware has historically been awful at advertising their games. This goes back even to their good ones.
THIS IS REAL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kiosw0YYBlc

I don't think we can even make a judgment on Andromeda yet, simply because we hardly know anything. And I understand that such little info this late in the dev cycle can be concerning - hell, I'm skeptical - but that seems to be Bioware's new modus operandi. The advertising for Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 killed those games dead. The former poisoned the well, the latter was used as a template for everything disappointed players claimed they were promised. Not that the advertising excuses those games flaws, mind you. It just compounded them. Since then, Bioware seems to have moved away from that. Inquisition had three large, $15 expansions. Two of them weren't announced until hours before they dropped. The third was announced one week before its release - which was, curiously, less than a month after the second expansion. And yet the third one was still incredible.
Basically, I'm saying that Bioware's marketing strategies in relation to their release schedules have always been... weird.

Anyway, I know Andromeda is mostly a new team, which might be good or bad (pros: no Casey Hudson, cons: no Patrick Weekes). Do we know if John Dombrow is working on it? He was one of the better writers.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Mac Walters, while refusing to acknowledge whether ME3's ending was good or bad, stated that the team has "learned their lesson". That could either be him showing regret for the decisions made while still trying to save face with the company, or it could be referring to the PR disaster that accompanied the prelude and aftermath of ME3. Bioware is scared of advertising. I think they definitely have the potential to still make good games. Citadel was good. Inquisition was good. Trespasser was good. They haven't really made a bad thing since ME3, which was almost five years ago. Andromeda is still an unknown.
We also live in an age where advertising kills games reputations really fast. See: Watchdogs, No Man's Sky. Even movies are shying away from exposing too much about themselves before release. I was amazed at how little info there was about The Force Awakens before it came out. Even the infinite marketing engine of Disney/Lucasfilm delayed the release of many of the toys so as not to give away anything. We still know next to nothing about Rogue One. Producers are learning that less is more when it comes to advertising.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

And yet Inquisition still has some of Bioware's best character writing and is thematically the most cohesive and mature game they've ever written. The Corypheus plot is giant red herring, and the game pretty much makes that clear by the end, where we see that Corypheus is just as much of a victim of confused identity and deluded importance as every other character. The real story is how that drama unfolds across the board - which happens consistently throughout the entire game. And Descent and Trespasser put new spins on the lore to parallel the paradigm of the in-game universe with those of the characters. This simultaneously raises the stakes and brings everything to a head.
Basically, the story of Inquisition is compelling, but subliminal. And a lot of it is rendered visually, similar to Dark Souls. I think we're just more open to free interpretation of things in Dark Souls because there's such an absence of dialogue, especially compared to the weighty amount in Inquisition. But I think the little bits of visual storytelling are just as critical and subtle. Like how there's an emblem of Mythal uncovered by your final battle in the Temple of Sacred Ashes. There's no cutscene for it, no direction that compels you to look at it, but it's there, and it carries astounding implications when paired with the other details we've picked up throughout the game. If we were to analyze Dark Souls on its most basic level, its story would initially appear to be a generic quest to stop the end of the world by overthrowing the powers that be, but everyone who's played it knows there's a lot more depth beyond that premise. I think Inquisition has a similarly unique and creative narrative underneath a familiar surface plot, and its themes and ideas are informed by its elusive nature (again, similar to Dark Souls).

• Locked thread