Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Have any official reviewers commented on the ending? All I keep hearing is that the game is a great ending for the trilogy. Personally, I don't care how it ends, the scene where I talked to all my friends before the last push was enough for me. Everything after that is flavor text. I'm more interested in how all "official" reviewers seem to have no problem with it, while it seems a majority of the game's fans hate it. How did this gap form? Have we become our own subculture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The way I look at it is this. This is a game. I play games to have fun. I am having fun playing this game again after beating it. Function fulfilled. Even if I think the endings could have been better, it doesn't matter. This is how they wanted to end their series and I think they have their right to that. Fans can decide if they hate it enough not to buy anymore Bioware games. But I hope they do, because I love Bioware games.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I liked Leng's fights. Felt different. And come on, when has there ever been a great boss fight where they were anywhere as good as when they are in a cutscene?

New Topic: What did you think about the soundtrack compared to the first two games. I really liked it, more than the others even (and the suicide mission was my jam for a long time).

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

The Spectre Vanguard in Shadow Broker was pretty drat boss.

I will never deny the greatness of that fight.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's not the Normandy. It isn't long enough. The jets at the end are similar, that's all.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Is there any sort of sex scene if you romanced Jack? All I've been able to see is when you first meet her, the bar scene and before the final battle.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

It's going to suck being one of the lone voices not hating the endings of this game from here on out. I'm more interested in seeing if there will be any kind of response from Bioware. I honestly can't remember so many people being mad about the same thing. Then again, maybe it's just a very vocal minority. The next couple of months will be interesting.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Oh god the trilogy is over. :(
I feel so depressed, I absolutely loved the game but anyone else feels the same way?

I can't wait for the DLCs, I hope they'll add a new character.

That's because back then the Reapers didn't know this cycle was ready to know.And it's pretty hard to accept anyway.
The Crucible being finished and Shepard getting at the top of it is proof they can go beyond Reaping the galaxy.

I'm totally with you. I just want to hang out in this universe more. And regardless of the endings, there are 100 ways Bioware can move the series forward. After making a little stop letting you play as Batman-Garrus on Omega.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just had a thought. This game treats the death of characters very well. They have weight. When I read the last Harry Potter book, my big problem was that it seemed like people were dying left and right and no one seemed to care enough. But when people go down in this game...you loving feel it. "does this unit have a soul?" God I hope so :(

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Playing another run right now and I saw the guy trying to get a refund. This time I found out what he was getting a refund for. a toaster oven

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

cell posted:

For like 50 credits.

If only! 15

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Android Blues posted:

I liked the ending. Call me crazy!

e: to elaborate I felt like it fit and made sense and was moving and etc. It actually seems quite shocking to me that there are gaming news outlets up in arms about it.

I agree maybe I'm just easy to please. I liked everything about this game. But to each their own. I just hope there isn't enough negative backlash to stop Bioware from making more games. I really like them even DA2!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

FairGame posted:

gently caress that; given the people you show up with at the endgame location, Your away team is loving dead. A galaxy without Garrus and Tali is a stupid galaxy.

Actually this might not be quite true. I did an end run backwards and they never moved. It's not explained, but I think they weren't supposed to go with you. Also Anderson isn't with you and he says he came up after you. I'm thinking you were supposed to go in waves. They should have just added an extra line. Also their bodies aren't there on the ground.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't know if anybody saw this. But it seems like the ending DLC will be free.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1222401p1.html

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

While it seems the talk about the endings will never fully go away, I'm glad the negativity around it has died down somewhat. While I can understand why people wouldn't like it, I never understood why people were so upset with Bioware. Especially considering how much work they've put into this game just for the fans. Free multiplayer content, a lot of new content for an expanded ending, and 3 post game DLCs that have been good quality in my opinion.

As for Citadel: Love it. It really is like visiting an old friend, and I find myself feeling bittersweet about the whole thing. I'd love to be able to play all three games as if for the first time. That would be wonderful.

Also, the Jack romance was so well done, I've restarted playing ME2 just to give the whole thing another go.

Thanks Bioware.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

"My name is Garrus Vakarian, and this is my favorite place on the Citadel!"

I love little moments in the series like that :unsmith:

"Just like old times."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

So is Kai Leng deliberately supposed to be one of those annoying guys who talks about how great he is, you kick his rear end then he gets to "win" in a cutscene and continue to goad you for sucking so you want to kill him for the sheer satisfaction of not having to deal with his plot armor anymore, or was he genuinely supposed to be a super-badass ninja that is just too drat "cool and awesome" for Shepard to handle?

Yeah, you can probably tell that I just completed Priority: Thessia :argh:

It is very satisfying when you get to give this man what he's due. Say what you will, but by the end of the game I wanted to murder this man.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

So I just finished the game, and finally I can stop hiding from all those spoiler bars :)

I had a read up on what the endings were like before the Extended Cut and hoooo-boy I can see why people were so pissed off. I initially went with the "lesser" ending (Control the Reapers/Shepard "dies"/the Earth is saved) and then reloaded and tried out the so-called perfect ending (kill the Reapers, save Earth, Shepard lives) and I far preferred the former. Though it was neat in the latter to see Shepard was still alive I think the cost was way too high, killing the Geth and EDI really rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't try the middle option (or the fourth gently caress ALL Y'ALL! option) because it seemed like too huge a decision for Shepard to make on behalf of EVERYBODY. I think the "lesser" ending with Shepard dying, but his memories living on as the new Catalyst and directing the Reapers to help the organic and synthetic life in the universe rebuild is a really great way to end the trilogy, and it's the way things are going to have been for MY Shepard.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of a more in-depth look at what happened to the Squad, as well as the absence of some of the other races in the big battle at the end - I had kind of hoped that each of those war assets would get a moment to shine in a cutscene or at least a brief bit of audio, but aside from a few token gestures there was nothing, I'd have loved to have seen the Krogan riding dinosaurs in battle, Hanar and Drell infantry forces, Elcor with giant guns strapped to their backs etc. All in all though, the trilogy has been an absolute pleasure to play through from start to finish over the last six years. I love the universe and I love the games, but I do have to wonder how (or if) I can deal with a non-Shepard game, I really got invested in my grumpy, scarred up, ugly old bastard and his crew of space-bros :unsmith:

Following on from what others have said, I'll definitely pick up Citadel at some point in the future and make that my last Shepard experience, it sounds like a nice, fun way to say goodbye to the character.
You will not regret Citadel. As someone who has played through each game several times and am getting to the point where it's getting harder to do, I can say Citadel was so good it made me start over from game one for another trip. After this I see the ME Trilogy as an annual event and hopefully something I can watch my children get into.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Dr. Abysmal posted:

In the leak, the ardat yakshi monastery mission took place on Thessia itself rather than a colony, perhaps an indication it was once a "quest hub" like Tuchanka and Rannoch.

Also I never minded the turians saying "hey we'd love to help but our own planet is hosed right now too, get us some reinforcements and we'll spare some troops." It was an argument that made sense and I think Shepard's anger is more justified towards the asari and salarians, who were not under attack yet. Plus I think they could have stood to show human support being offered to the aliens in return for helping Earth because as it stands it kind of looks like Shepard is just demanding they abandon their own worlds to help Earth right now because Earth is most important.

What I liked was that the military support for the Salarians would basically say, "Yeah, we heard that our government said gently caress you guys, but gently caress that we know what's up." Getting their support was a neat way to show the cultures weren't of one mind.

I've also started another trilogy run, most likely not my last. Someone said you can convince Ashley God doesn't exist. How do you do this?

Shard fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 1, 2013

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I was playing Mass Effect Genesis 2 and had some questions. In some of the forums people thought you can only romance Tali. But when I did it I could romance Miranda and Tali but not Jack. This leads me to believe with the right choices I could romance Jack. I was curious if anyone knew anything about this.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously. Complete the main game, then pretend that after recovering from those events, Shepard goes to the Citadel for some R&R, gets into one more wacky adventure we can all take part in, and then throws a big party to celebrate before heading back to the Normandy to set off on more adventures that will sadly go unseen by us.

For me, it's the very best way to end the game and ends the trilogy on a pitch-perfect note.

For me, Citadel is Heaven. I got to the bar, and Garrus met me there.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Thoughts?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

...You want me to cut off my arm?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

But I need it! For opening things ya know?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hmm a fat joke. On the internet. How deliciously original.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

Your mario is extremely faded out and in need of a touchup. Additionally your tattoo man didn't finish all the color in the center of your enormous nerdy game tattoo.

The Mario one is from around 2007 I think. As for the color, he likes to use the skin color as an actual color. I like the way my skin basically serves as the white.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hm, that's the part I dig a lot. Ah well, to each their own. Keep on keepin' on Mass Effect thread number 214.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Baron von der Loon posted:

I've been making some progress on my second playthrough with a Renegade Vanguard FemShep this time, romancing Thane and going for the Control ending. So far, I'm about halfway through Mass Effect 2, only need to get Samara and Tali and do their respective loyalty quests. With all the extra content from the DLCs, the game is absolutely massive, and I'm having a great time playing through the series again, it's holding up reasonably well. I've chosen to go through each DLC after a specific plot point(Overlord after Horizon, Shadow Broker after the Collector's ship, Arrival after the suicide mission), and it's nice to have a little side story after each big plot point. It gives the game a serialized TV show-vibe. All in all, it's still an incredible game, likely my favorite in the series.

One thing that I'm really looking forward is to see how well ME3 will hold up with the Extended Ending, Leviathan and Citadel DLC. In my opinion, these three managed to salvage the ending into something on the same level as, say, Lost's and BSG's ending. Not perfect, but it's an ending. I'm planning on weaving the Leviathan content throughout the other content to build up the Intelligence. I'm a bit uncertain on whether I should try to do the Citadel content throughout the playthrough, or just do all that content post-ending as a proper send-off, anyone got any thoughts on that?

A Thane romance and either the Synthesis or the Control ending have always worked for me thematically. I think I'm going to do a run with that.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Yeah, it was a grenade mod that buffed it up pretty high for that early in the game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

And I'd like to throw in that if you play DA 2 without any expectations you might find something in it you like. For example, I found it refreshing that the plot didn't revolve around saving the world. I also liked that you spent more time in one city than other games, so it gave things time to develop. It's not a perfect game, but I think it deserves more credit than it's given. That said, I hope DA3 is a lot better.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lenoon posted:

Well I finished what will probably be the last time I take a single character through all three games, all the dlc and every optional mission. I'm still not tired of it, but now I know that it's over I think it's time to let it go (until whatever bioware makes next comes out).

The final song in Citadel stands for me now as the end of the trilogy - "Farewell and Into the Inevitable". There's nothing about citadel that wasn't great, and the music (hell, even the name of the music!) sums up the game and the experience of playing the game. :unsmith:

I'll never say I'll never play the trilogy again, but I think Citadel had a great way to help you end the series for yourself. I keep saves of that DLC just to go back and enjoy myself. This trilogy will probably be what I tell people is my favorite series for the forseable future. A close runner-up: Saints Row.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The lesson of Mass Effect 3 is that you should never make unstoppable killing machines your main enemy. By their very nature, the only way to defeat them is an "WE WIN" button. I would have preferred the Reapers being stuck in Dark Space after you stopped their Vanguard in ME1. Kind of like the ending to the first Hellboy movie.

The Citadel would make a great setting for future games. Just let me play a cop who works the beat going up against gangs and some sort of Moriarty nemisis.

That said, Citadel DLC and the "good-bye" moments on Earth are in my top list of favorite game moments.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Cobalt Chloride posted:

I'm still trying to figure out if Thane has a harem of heaven wives or what. :v:

I found this interesting because it's a real issue some people have to deal with if they believe in an afterlife where their loved ones are waiting for them. Some people have 2 wives or 2 husbands in their lifetime, that they legitimately love, and will have to make peace with when it comes to their belief of heaven. Same thing here with a Thane romance.

BTW: A Thane romance is the only time I go with the green ending. We need to speed up this reunion.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

If you don't romance anyone in ME1, can you start a romance with Liara in Lair of the Shadow Broker?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Speasking of femshep from ME3, can anyone explain why they went with a redhead. Didn't a blonde version win the fan vote leading up to the release?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just upgraded my PS3's hard drive and downloaded the trilogy and the DLC and I'm starting another playthrough. I think it might become a Christmas tradition for me. The games always make me think of the winter. I played the first one in November 2007 through the Christmas season, and the 2nd one came out in January so it was still cold. I don't know why, but I really love playing these games in the glow of my tree.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The still born thing is what makes the genophage a true horror. I can't tell you how upset my wife would get at the mere idea that our daughter could die, and she would still have to give birth to her corpse. Thankfully it didn't happen in our case, but if it had, it would have had a major effect on our psyche. Now imagine that done to your entire race. Then also imagine, someone came along and ended it after hundreds of years. That is the kind of event that could redefine a people. At least, that's how I see it. But only with Wrex and Eve to guide the movement.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I think in retrospect, the Mass Effect Trilogy could be a lot better if it all tied together more. But I like to take into account that this was the first series to really try something like this. Here's hoping that it can serve as a blueprint for either Bioware or another developer so that it can be done better. I can't imagine trying to do a trilogy over 7 years, with technology advancing so much even before you finish one game.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

GenericOverusedName posted:

I contend that the Reapers would have been way better if they were a malevolent attempt to answer The Last Question. Sadly it doesn't seem that there's many Azimov fans at Bioware.

Thank you so much for linking this story. I have never heard of it before and it might be the best short story I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How many of you have played ME3 (or any of the other games) since you either played or learned about the ending? I'm curious if the initial anger went away and allowed people to play again, or if some people were just turned off outright.

I've done 2 trilogy playthroughs since ME3 came out. Now it's kinda become a Christmas tradition for me.

• Locked thread