Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Roll chart is used in conjunction with a computer that you program for every race. The computer will keep track of your mileage and time. The roll chart will give you a quick glance at the upcoming mile markers that could possibly have a checkpoint.

You see, the checkpoint locations are unknown to the riders until they find them while following the course. However checkpoints can only be located when the beginning of a minute lands on a whole tenths of a mile (example: .10, .20, .30, NOT .17). If you aren't "on time" or at the exact mileage at the exact time specified (within a minute) you are penalized points. The rider with the least points at the end of the day wins!

the rules are confusing to the newcomer. However in reality the enduro is basically 4 to 7 short races throughout the day. These races are broken up with easy riding transfer road sections and gas/food stops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Blaise how did you get so ... round?

but really where were those pics taken? Utah? Colorado? Arizona?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

needknees posted:

Someone talk me out of dumping my yz450 for a 300xcw, please :ohdear:

Ramsus posted:

It only goes as fast as you let it. As long as a person has good throttle/clutch control then it shouldn't be a problem. The difference really comes down to gearing and the creature comforts found on most woods bikes like e-start and head lights.

Can't go wrong with the 300 needknees. Also Ramsus is pretty off base here. Bike power and weight have a huge effect on hustling through a woods trail. Compared to a yz450 the 300 is going to feel like a mountain bike, and it's awesome.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

you weigh like 140 soaking wet. For you a 350 would be a nice trail bike... not so much a race bike.

My 350 is heavy enough to tire me out after a race. I'm pretty sure you would be better off with the 250. Guys that say the weight difference is negligible between 250 and 350 are full of it. The 350 weighs almost as much as the 450.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

meh. just trying to help, based on personal experience. No offense but i'm not 1) from the Pacific Northwest, 2) riding amateur MX, 3) reading specs off the internet.

Another point I'd like to mention: After being strictly 4t for years I've vowed to buy a 250xc for my next bike after I'm done with this 350. It's hard to beat the weight advantage when racing offroad.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Congrats! Nothing beats the feeling of a new bike.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Zool posted:

Sweet, the class entries must be totally opposite of what we have over here. It seems like all the fast guys here are 300's and 450's racing in open.

This is kind of my point from before. Terrain is totally different in the mid-atlantic/north-east. Fast guys here run 250 2t or even 250 4t. 450s are considered play/trail bikes unless you moto.

DefaultPeanut posted:

Nice bike, the stock exhaust is choked to hell and back. A week after one leaves the in the back of a truck, the owner is back for a pipe.
Weak, why didn't the dealer put on the hand guards? Three questions - is the pen in the KTM bag, how scratched is the frame behind where the footpeg springs, and why the gun on your table?

the stock flag hand guards are worthless and would be removed anyway? Also i'm curious as to why you're asking about the frame scratching? do you think they rode it around before the sale?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

I love studs. I hate installing them, but I love riding them.

vtnewb I'm jealous, sounds fun. you won't get faster until you ride with fast guys. good luck with the rehab!

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Scotts. GPR's are overpowering and Scotts has more adjustment.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

This is the wrong board to ask specific model tech questions... that said those husqy's have the worst reputation and what you described does not surprise me at all.

First I would verify if it is truely seized (prob not). If not, I suspect something like a fuel pump/injector/fuel filter.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

So it turns out I'm dumb and don't know how to ride a dirt bike. I have a cheap chinese 4-stroke 250 enduro that's got an appropriate level of power for me but my buddy convinced me to try his YZ250F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHofqBu5jP4

I sprained my wrist and broke a bone in my hand although it doesn't look much like it in the video. Any good resources on where to learn how not to do this again?

hahahahahaha classic whiskey throttle. Your video was doomed the second I saw street helmets. When I teach girls to ride my xr100 I always tell them to exaggerate the lean forward to prevent exactly your crash.

The fact that you know what happened is a good start. The solution should be pretty obvious... lean forward. You are stopping yourself from flying off the back of the bike only by the fact that you are holding onto the bars, this is totally wrong. Your arms should be loose and free to flap around. Use your feet and rear end, mostly your rear end, to stay on the seat. This means lean that upper body forward and push the rear end into the seat.

A lot of guys on this forum will tell you to weight the pegs. This is an advanced technique for very experienced riders. Do not worry about the pegs as much as keeping your butt into the seat. I would bet money 99% of the guys on this very forum can not properly weight the pegs on a dirt bike.

You will inevitably have to stand up while riding a proper dirt bike, so apply the same logic as when seated. Lean forward ALWAYS. you should never stand straight up, always be hunched over at the hips. Literally your arms should be dangling onto the bars.

Also to avoid looking like a total spode, please watch a professional supercross or motocross race and just study body position. You seem sharp enough to pick it up.

Z3n posted:

In other shocking news, Husqvarnas are unreliable! The world stops for a moment to gasp and flutter their hands over their mouths!

is this humor? I'm just kind of shocked your post is under 4000 words.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Silver posted:

Yeah I tend to boil my rear brake as well. Near as I can tell I might be dragging my toe on it when I'm sitting down? What should I look for to keep that from happening. Sucks balls having to sit around for 10-15 while it cools. I also have the brake fluid expansion chamber on it as well so I'm running more fluid than stock, I've still locked it up.

Thoughts?

Wait, the brake locks up? Usually when you boil the fluid you lose all braking power. If your system is locking up I would swap out the fluid and pray it was just old fluid. Another thing it might be is OVER filling the system with fluid. You still have that rubber bladder underneath the master cylinder cap right?

Otherwise the obvious thing to do is adjust your brake lever engagement point lower. On your ktm you would adjust the plunger that's attached to the rear of the lever.

Second thing you could try is using EBC Red pads. They are a soft carbon based material that absorbs waaaaaay more heat than the stock pads. They are a bit more expensive than the cheapies from rockymountain, but you won't boil your brakes anymore.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

jaysus Gullous I felt like you were going to die on every jump.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Enduros are fun. It should be a series of sprint races with 10-30 minute breaks in between. Next time you sign up make sure to ride with somebody who knows what they're doing as far as timekeeping and the experience will be much better.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

VTNewb posted:

Went downhill mountain biking with a friend yesterday. He overjumped the last jump and broke his spine, cracked three ribs, broke his jaw, pushed all his teeth forward, collapsed a lung and punctured the other. What is it about the last run of the day?

drat that is nasty. I'll stick to trail riding my mtb.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

I'm a fan of Eli, Trey, and Davi this year for the title (pick any one). Dungey is too frustrating. Roczen is unfortunately the odds on favorite but I just don't like him... don't hate him,... just don't like him. He's really bland and cornball.

Bowers is the MAN, love that dude. It'd be cool to see Hansen win a race.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

wow.

that piston is destroyed. The valves look baked. 1500 for a new engine really isn't that bad when you start adding up all the parts it takes to replace the top end and rebuild the head.

also... you're using a xr400 as a "road going track bike"?? what?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Gullous posted:

Z3n was in town last weekend so we all went dirtbike riding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsAyvknqTmQ
I need to figure out the case situation to fix the wind noise. I bought a new camera (sony as100v). It does image stabilization, which is great for dirt riding, but uses a narrower FOV, making the aiming more critical.

nice quad tracks

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

You probably froze the cams in their bearing journals. Did you make sure to use the correct torque for the cam bridge?

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

be sure the melted plastic is the cause and not a symptom. I would torque the cam bridge without the chain and make sure the cams spin freely.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

probably because you have your barkbusters and levers at ridiculous angles.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

predictive posted:

From what I can tell it needs a brake fluid flush and bleed, and front brake pads.

Looks like a nice clean bike! can't go wrong with a 200.

Doing those things can't hurt, but that generation of KTM is notorious for having a soft front master cylinder first thing in the morning. Some guys drive themselves crazy trying to bleed out that last little air bubble and end up buying a nissin master cylinder instead.

I don't recommend you bother swapping out master cylinders, it's not worth it. What you should do: Every morning before a ride push the caliper in with your knee to compress the caliper piston all the way, then pump the lever until the brake comes back. Wah lah a firm brake lever.

Now judging from the age of the bike, if you can't get a firm lever after bleeding and using the advice above, then you need a master cylinder rebuild kit ($35). It's just a new piston with new o-rings already installed... pretty easy to swap.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

predictive posted:

Thanks for the info! I figured since this bike is new to me it made sense to replace all of the fluids (coolant, oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, gear oil), For some reason this year and model seem to be not all that popular and I can't find a service manual for it, do you think the procedures be close to that of the 250 EXC (I found a manual for the 2004 250 EXC)?

for the chassis they are identical. The engines should be close enough to do common maintenance. BTW: Oil, clutch fluid and gear oil are all the same on a dirt bike.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Radbot posted:

Hi, dirt bike bros. Any of you live in Colorado's Front Range? What do you think about a KLR/DR650 class bike versus a DRZ class bike in the mountains? What's going to be accessible with a DRZ and not a KLR? This would probably be for mild trails, at least to start, but maybe I should get something that'd grow with my ability? I'd be riding this in from Denver, no trailer.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of questions.

Riding it to the trails takes all the fun out of it.

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

predictive posted:

Also holy poo poo, compared to mountain biking, dirt bikes are straight cheating. Rear end squirrely on a drop? Add some throttle. Hit a climb not exactly square? Throttle out. Pick a bad line through a rock garden? THROTTLE.

lol a mtb'ers famous last words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

Baller Witness Bro posted:

If you don't seal off the pipe that's just going to make you a pretty header shaped popsicle.

false i've done it and it works. You only need as much water to cover the area of the dent.