Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
No, not seriously. All of those things are bad advice that you will find all over the internet. That's why you should listen to the advice you get here without dismissing it immediately. It's good. The people here are good to their animals and know what they're talking about.

TShields posted:

That's a bit of a low blow..

Well, okay. I'm sure he's excited to see you but not for the right reasons. Put yourself in his shoes. Imagine you have a tiny bladder. Now imagine you have to stay in a comfortable but small bed for 9 hours. The first few hours aren't bad but then you realize you've got to pee. You know if you pee in here, you're going to be sitting in it for the rest of the day. So you hold it as hard as you can for another 7 hours. It's painful to hold it that long, holding it in is all you can think about. Then, finally, the person who lets you relieve that pain shows up. You're excited but it's kind of a messed up relationship if you ask me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Advent Horizon posted:

We just adopted a 9-week-old black lab

Congratulations on acquiring a male black lab, the best dog! Abandoned at 6 weeks is harsh but I wouldn't think that's really old enough to develop any issues, sounds like he's just a typical food-motivated lab. A lot of friends have hunting labs that they got at 7 weeks and they turned out pretty nice.

Your food bag should have a recommended amount of food for his age and weight, feed him that much per day. Free feeding a young puppy seems a little crazy to me because they usually poop pretty soon afterwards so it makes house training tough. I also wouldn't free feed because you have such a great opportunity right now to use his meals to create positive associations. Definitely check out the excellent training thread because they learn so fast at that age, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451. I highly suggest starting Leave It and It's Yer Choice as a puppy.

The most important thing you should be doing right now is socializing him with strangers and then other dogs as soon as he's done his shots. My lab wouldn't want to leave the house if there was a bowl of food in there either. Try giving him some kibble on your walks and he'll start loving them.

Labs are really easy because they're so food motivated. Do something you want the dog to like (car rides, babies, kids, all manner of strangers, walks, loud noises, retrieving, etc) and then put food in his face. I took mine to a coffee shop patio a few times a week when he was a puppy. When strangers would come up to see the cute puppy, I'd ask them to ask him to sit and then give him a bit of food. People liked it and he's always liked strangers.

And post some pics.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My first reaction is to take him to the vet but the phrase "7 month old puppy ... practically potty trained for weeks" makes it sounds like maybe he's not really all that house trained. I'd say take him to the vet to rule out a UTI or kidney problem if he really was house trained. If he's clear, go back to step 1 of potty training and do a better job this time. This post has some good info, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451&pagenumber=112&perpage=40#post419286355

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

New Leaf posted:

Thanks for that, I'll read up!

And really, he's been flawless for weeks. I didn't mean to imply he was still having regular accidents or anything. I wonder if an incident last week set him back a bit- I actually ended up in the emergency room for several hours on Friday (long story) and we got home WAY later than usual, so he went in his crate and the poor little guy sat there soaking in it for a few hours. My wife was trying to find someone who could let him out, but the only people who have keys to our place were indisposed and she didn't want to leave me. I hope we didn't scar the poor little guy for life. :ohdear:

It's weird- it's almost like he's getting too excited while playing and just starts leaking.

A little while ago, my wife took him out for his last "timer" pee of the night and he did nothing, so I waited 10 minutes and took him out again and he peed almost immediately. Weird.

The part that doesn't add up is that he's 7 months and he hasn't had any accidents in 2 weeks so he's been peeing wherever he wants for ~6.5 months before that? Two weeks without an accident isn't really long enough to consider him house broken.

When my dog was a puppy, he would leak a bit too when he was excited but it only happened on a full bladder. It was pretty easy to manage by taking him outside before we did anything exciting inside. Is your wife giving the same reinforcement as you are for peeing outside? If you're doing anything less than throwing a full blown party and stuffing his face with his favorite treats every single time he pees outside, I'd step it up.

I'd also make sure his crate bedding that he peed in is really clean or just get him a new one.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
1) Don't think of the puppy as a obstacle to your sleeping in. Think of her as inspiration to wake up earlier. She's whining because it's a beautiful new day, full of things to smell and experience and she's anxious to get started and to hang out with you. Puppies don't stay in this stage for very long, soon enough she'll be sleeping longer and used to the drudgery of everyday life. Take this limited opportunity to learn from your puppy and enjoy what it's like to wake up every day happy and excited. If she's waiting until 7:30 am to start whining, most people would consider that a dream puppy, she's telling you it's to get out of bed.

2) My dog has not peed on a person's leg in over a month but I'll still refrain from giving any advice in that department.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

radlum posted:

My family got a puppy when it was a month and a half old (a beagle). Now it is about to be 5 months old and I'm wondering if it's too late to train her.

I'm curious, why did they get a hunting dog? They're pretty stubborn dogs and time-consuming to train. She probably doesn't like other dogs because you got her at 6 weeks and the 6-12 week age is critical for them to socialize with other dogs or she had some bad experiences during this stage. You can probably still socialize her with other dogs if you introduce them gently and are careful that it's a positive experience.

Your post sent up a few red flags though that you not have read up on raising a puppy perhaps as much as you should have.

- Got a puppy at 6 weeks (way too young)
- Still not house trained at 5 months
- No bite inhibition by 5 months
- Not socialized with other dogs
- You chose a beagle
- Asking if the dog is done learning at 5 months.

The OP of this thread has a wealth of information and you could also check out this page, http://www.dogstardaily.com/taxonomy/term/107, everything under "Raising a puppy". It's a lot of work to train and socialize a puppy for the first year but it pays off when they're a well adjusted dog for the next 7-15 years.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

mcswizzle posted:

What would you say is the time to expect a puppy to be successfully housetrained? I've never seen a "by 5 months you should be at XYZ" timeline. And I've seen a lot of PI regulars say during training that if there is an accident to "reset" the training.

It depends on a lot of things. How old the puppy was when you got it, breed, whether you're crate training, how the breeder handled it before you got the puppy. For the beagle person, he said it usually pees around the house. At 5 months, I'd expect maybe the occasional (weekly?) accident that's probably more the owner's fault than the dog's.

What old and what breeds are Artemis and Jada? I would throw the whole kitchen sink at them to try to figure out which treats they really like. Peanut butter, cheese, hot dog pieces, roast beef, bacon, there has to be something that they love. Use that treat only for housetraining and reset with Jada, keep her tethered to you or crated so she doesn't have the chance to have an accident for the first couple of weeks. Artemis sounds like she's doing well but a better treat might be enough to get her to hold it even if you don't hear the bell.

radlum posted:

My sister got the dog

Ah sorry for being harsh, it's always a pain to try to train other people's dogs. Good luck!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
We have Trupanion on our dog and cat. When the cat was just a kitten, she swallowed a 2 foot long elastic string from one of her toys and it got stuck in her intestines. She needed about $1,500 of surgery and they covered it no problem. We didn't even have to make a claim, the vet worked directly with them to cover the 90% and gave us a bill for the 10%.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
My black lab goes to bed by himself every night around 9, he's been doing it since he was a puppy.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Who was the everyone that told you to stop being breed specific? That's crazy to me. You're going to own a dog for 9-14 years and probably spend tens of thousands of dollars on food, training, toys, vet bills, etc so it's okay to be really picky about what you want. Having the right dog is amazing. I wouldn't think you're a jerk if you took her back to the shelter and found a dog that isn't the opposite of what you were looking for, there should be lots of shelter dogs that are friendly and low-medium energy.

Primitive breeds are a high maintenance dog. It'll have that level of energy for a long time. Our husky could still easily walk 10km in the snow until she turned about 11 years old. She would walk fine on a leash but you could never let her off of it, she would almost always saunter off wherever she smelled something interesting. If she got out of the house, she would get on the side of the road and keep going, Littlest Hobo style.

You can condition her to like new people but it'll take a lot of consistent work to get rid of the reactivity. I'd stop taking her to places where she does it. Find her threshold (maybe she's okay with people at 100 yards but starts to get on edge when they're closer) and give her treats for being calm and try to slowly make that distance smaller. Search the dog training thread for reactivity, there's a lot of good info in there.

If she's being a nuisance while you work, give her a dog bed nearby and ignore her. That shouldn't take long to fix.

I don't know much about resource guarding. I think it's more on you to manage it (don't have toys around other dogs) than to try to train it out.

Fresh antlers last longer than any other chew toy I've found but keep an eye on it as they can splinter eventually.

Most people I've met with primitive breeds have to keep them fenced or on-leash. They just seem to have too much energy and independence to stay close. I'm sure it's possible to teach them good recall, I've just never actually seen it. There's a whole thread about their personality quirks here, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3344325

I think dogs do mirror their owners to a certain extent, especially the more eager to please breeds that you get as a puppy but most people also choose a dog that matches their own energy level.

Lastly, check out the dog training thread, http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3364451 There's lots of good reading about resource guarding, reactivity and recall.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What kind of dog? If it catches one, the dog will probably shake it violently and it'll be dead pretty quick.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Pulling Teeth posted:

I wonder if I am reinforcing the dog=treat idea or not.

It sounds like you're doing pretty well. Just do the pay attention to me routine when there aren't other dogs around, inside, outside, bunch of different contexts and gradually give less and less treats.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Insanite posted:

Also, anyone have toy suggestions for strong-chewing, teething puppies? He's pretty good at wrecking things immediately. Stuffed/cloth things are a no-go, as he'll shred and starting eating them immediately. I ordered a GoughNuts ring as they're supposed to be "indestructible," but there are just so many options out there.

Antlers or kongs frozen with peanut butter in them, both with supervision

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry if that was very rambling (it probably was). We've looked up races on the internet and taken some of the tests you find, and seem to have preliminarily settled on a whippet. Does this make sense given what I've written thus far? Only minor niggle I have is that I'm in the early stages of training for a marathon, and I think it might be nice to bring the dog on some runs. At least some short restitution ones. And I hear whippets don't go much for endurance running, to say the least.

I'm not sure if you were thinking of getting a puppy or older dog but a puppy isn't supposed to run any long distances until their hips are fully developed.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Math You posted:

As promised.. Have an Ellie

Such a small world, your breeder is our cottage neighbour! I saw these puppies just a few weeks ago, can't believe they're gone already. Are you going to hunt with her? I remember her getting them on wings and stuff pretty early and the mom is a really good retriever.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Gushing Granny posted:

I'm having problems with inappropriate eating with my puppy. He's a black labrador of five months and whenever he's out on a walk, he is constantly looking for food. He eats things like ice cream, chewing gum, bags of cookies off the floor and it's difficult to stop him getting to them, even on the leash. I'm worried because he's gonna eat something he really shouldn't one day.

You need to teach labs to Leave It (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEeS2dPpPtA) and you're going to have to up your management game by not leaving bags of cookies on the floor.

m.hache posted:

So our Lab/Retriever just decided she doesn't want to eat anymore.

Healthy labs have healthy appetites, I'd take her to the vet. She might have eaten something she wasn't supposed to when you weren't looking and it's stuck in her guts or could have parasites.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Good questions to ask your vet when you take your sick dog to go see her.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

m.hache posted:

That's good to know. I'll see how she is tonight. If she doesn't eat this gastro food it's a trip to the vet first thing in the AM.

I like labs. How'd she end up?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

m.hache posted:

Well we ended up at the emergency vet because she started to become lethargic. Of course the second we get there she perks right up. Explain to them what was going.

Temp was fine, no obstructions in the throat. So we decided to try to feed her there. Devours the entire bowl.

She thinks it might have been some sort of stomach issue and gave us some antibiotics. This morning was the first day she ate her kibble without soft food mixed in.

All ok for now.

I'm glad to hear she's okay but definitely keep a close eye. My lab had something similar when he was about the same age, puking bile and no appetite. We were going to take him to the vet and then he threw up a bolt and a wood screw. We were helping people move and they had food mixed in with reno garbage in a bag on the floor, never even noticed it. Thank god it didn't get into his intestines but it drilled into us that labs are morons who will gladly eat screws if there's a little gravy on them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

m.hache posted:

Well the biggest concern was if there was an obstruction of any sort she would either throw up her food, or not poop. She has been pooping fine and only threw up the one day.

As it stands now she's back to her high energy/annoying self so I think we're in the clear. Still finishing up the round of Anti Biotics though.

Awesome, she's a good looking lab! She could have passed whatever stupid thing she ate too, hopefully that's the end of that.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Math You posted:

Anyway, is this something we should be concerned about reoccurring? I'm going to be extra careful about making she she does not have any food at least 2 hours before travelling moving forward, but is it possible for dogs to sort of.. Grow into car sickness?

My dog did the same thing at that age. We started driving carefully on turns and bumpy roads and stopped feeding him right before big trips and he was okay. If he needed to eat, we'd just spread out his breakfast over the trip instead of all at once.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Superficial Flu posted:

Hi all. So my fiance and I are looking to adopt a grown dog. We've been researching and looking into this for a good long while, saving up, all that, and we decided to pull the trigger. However, I'm starting to worry that we go away too much and it wouldn't be fair to the dog. Our families live far away and we'd have to fly to see them, so taking the dog isn't possible. That means for holidays we'd have to leave the dog with a friend or dog sitter, not to mention if we wanted to ever go on vacation. We're ready for all the other day-to-day lifestyle changes, but this is freaking me out. On one hand, I feel like I'm getting cold feet and worrying about nothing, but on the other hand, I don't want to adopt a dog who is going to be sad and lonely. I've read enough of PI to know you're all more on the harsh realities side, rather than the "wooo doggie!" side, so I come to you for advice...

So .... how often would you be away?

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Dogs go to the bathroom outside.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

hatty posted:

What do you guys use to keep your puppy occupied during the day? I'm gone between 10am to 6pm and she has taken to chewing on door frames and stuff but is fine otherwise. No barking/howling or peeing/pooping just chewing I know I can just spray it with bitter apple but I'd rather fix the problem rather than the symptom

I tried one of those treat dispensing puzzle toys but she tends to get them stuck somewhere or empty them in like ten minutes.

I've heard of dog TV and stuff but I'm not sure if that actually works or not or if music will help

Yeah man, Netflix actually has a Dog section now, just like the kids one. It'll take you a while to figure out which channel she likes best but after that it's all smooth sailing, no more chewing.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Apr 7, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Can puppies have antlers? Are bully sticks safe for him or will they splinter and possibly mess him up? He is just over 5 months old

Antlers were fine for us. Make sure they're fresh and not split down the middle to avoid splinters. Supervise them at first. Some dogs seem to want to rip the antler apart, they'll get splinters. My dog is happy just gnawing them. I started him on them really young because I wanted to train him to find them in the woods.

All growed up

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bloody Queef posted:

I am in search of a good lab breeder. I got a lab from a breeder when I was 6, and he lived to be 17 years old and was without a doubt the best dog I've ever had or could hope to have. I currently have another dog, but 10 years since my lab has passed, I am ready to have a lab in my life again.

He was an American style lab from a breeder who bred field dogs. Unfortunately the breeder we got him from has a terrifying review on yelp, and since it's been over 25 years, I'm not confident the same quality dogs are being bred.

Primarily the new lab would be a house dog, but retrieving and water retrieving is a focus point for me. I don't hunt or want to compete in trials, but my previous lab was bred for field work was my ideal dog. My family also got another dog from the breeder who was excellent and long lived as well.

So, PI, help me find a field lab breeder within 6ish hours of Philadelphia that's actually good and not focused on cranking out labs as quick as possible.

Field trials have gotten so competitive that they've started breeding their labs to be really high energy these days. British labs are probably now the ideal chill, family retrieving dogs you're looking for. I would check out http://www.duckhillkennels.com/index.php , he breeds cool hunting labs and he's really big on positive training, one of the first and few in the hunting community. It's a bit further of a drive but if you're gonna be stuck with the rascal for 17 years...

Edit: Not trying to say you're not looking for a field lab, just that field labs have changed a lot in the past 25 years and you can get nice relaxed labs that will happily retrieve stuff but don't need to be walked 5 miles a day.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 11, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Bloody Queef posted:

I pegged the 6 hours because I'd want to go on site to the breeder to properly vet (heh) them then give a deposit towards the next litter if all is well. I could push the distance if need be.

I see on his site that he also breeds canoe labs that weigh between 35-50lbs, this would be a plus for me. But I worry that's a red flag.

A 35 lb lab seems extreme but 50-55 lbs would be a great size. Our guy is about 60 and fits between my legs in a kayak and is no problem in a canoe. I guess it'd be a problem if I had 4 of them at once. Most people's hunting labs where I live are on the small end, 50-65 lbs. I only see the 80+ lbers in the city.

Frig, I forgot how cute lab puppies are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-uk27k_xxM

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Another dog attacked Worf at daycare and we were asked to pick him up. When we got there, we were told straight up the other dog just jumped on him while Worf was eating, but they nevertheless asked us not to bring him back because the owner of said dog feels that his dog felt threatened by the pit bull and was merely preemptively defending himself.

Wait, so that means the other dog that attacked is allowed to stay at the daycare and the dog that got jumped is kicked out? That doesn't add up.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Warbird posted:

gently caress this dog.

haha I didn't see the shower curtain at first. What kind of masochist gets a husky and a beagle? If there's any line of thinking other than "I kind of like dogs but really hate myself", I'd love to hear it.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Warbird posted:

Your dog is a cat.

Chill dogs are awesome. You can take them more places or leave them with babysitters (guilt free). My dog just absolutely loves fishing. He's happy to come out for a whole day so it's nice to be able to beach every couple of hours and go for a swim and pee without worrying about him disappearing into thousands of acres of bush, makes life easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Carmant posted:

Update RE overexcited dog. She lunged at my face and hosed it up before I could get her under control today and I had to walk back to my car with blood all over face and clothes (and dog) while avoiding people so they wouldn't freak out. I realize this sounds comical in light of my earlier post critiquing a person's poorly trained dog. I can still see out of the eye she got thought so that's good...

So uh what kind of dog ya got there?