Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HelloSailorSign posted:

Edit: Dang, so much effort and I was efb AGES AGO

:smug:

But you're better at explaining things succinctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I'm sorry but I will never understand people who come here asking for advice about dealing with a problem and then just say "nope, won't do [thing that will help solve the problem] because currently I do [thing that does not help solve the problem]..." to every single thing people offer and then become really defensive when people get frustrated with them.

TShields you need more help than this forum can realistically give you, if you need some solution that is 100% tailored to the exact hours of every single day that you can devote to solving dog-related problems. You need to have a trainer or someone come to your house and talk to you. This costs money. I'm sure that will be your excuse as to why you can't do it. Or there will be a different one. I don't know what you want to hear here...

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zortzico posted:

Coming for some possible advice,
Last night my 9 week old corgi pup had a pretty bad seizure out of nowhere and we had to take him to an emergency vet, he's still there and i'm waiting to hear back on some bloodwork. I'm just concerned that it might be a major issue, but is it common for something like this to present itself so young? He hasn't been acting any differently, aside from a little more puppy whines the last few days. He was laying down and I saw him stretch out on his back and didn't relax, and a moment later he was on his side convulsing, frothing at the mouth and he peed, after the full lock eased up he ended up in a massive gallop on his side and then just laid there breathing fast and heavy. Haven't even had him for 2 weeks and i'm scared for him.

Any update on the vet's findings for your pup?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zortzico posted:

He spent the night and they ran some blood tests, nothing really significant though. He was incredibly happy to come home, and seems to be back to normal. I have been hearing that some puppies can have reactions to the distemper vaccine within a short while of getting the shots. He was done on the 15th, we picked him up on the 17th and he had the seizure on the 29th. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

The problem with temporally associating things with vaccines in a puppy is that puppies are getting vaccines every 3 weeks or so, so everything that happens to them is going to seem like it can be linked with the vaccine. I wouldn't really consider 2 weeks after a vaccine to be at all significant.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Steve Yun posted:

New puppy owner here, adopted from a friend of a friend.

Just got her looked at by a vet. I was told she was 2 months old, but the vet thinks she's 6 weeks old.

1lb 5oz. Vet won't vaccinate her until she's gained a pound.

The OP says that puppies can meet other dogs as long as they're vaccinated, but is this on the condition that my puppy is already vaccinated as well?

I would not take your puppy out to socialize without your puppy having been vaccinated as well. Once you start the puppy vaccine course you can and should take the puppy to meet other puppies of the same age that are similarly vaccinated and adult dogs that you trust and that are healthy and vaccinated as well. I wouldn't go to dog parks or pet stores or anything but play dates at people's houses are fine.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Ponyfields posted:

How much squirty cream can I feed my puppy, and how regularly? It's like puppy crack and other dogs can actually be near her while she's eating it without her going totally loving mental because OMG other dogs.

It only has cream, sugar and propellants in it so I figure it should be fine in moderation? She doesn't seem to be having any bad reactions to it at the moment and ate about 1/3 of a can today. I'd probs be using about half a can on Wednesday for puppy class and half a can on Saturdays for 1 to 1 training.

How many calories are in that amount?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

crowtribe posted:

Rescue dog appears to have incontinence. She's been peeing herself in her sleep, and because she's deaf, when the cats cautiously come over for a sniff, she sprays piss in her shock that someone's appeared RIGHT NEXT TO HER.

We originally took her to the vet last week when we first got her for an initial check up and noted that she was stopping to pee constantly, often with nothing coming out, so they gave us antibiotics in case of a UTI, as the vet explained incontinence could cause a UTI, or alternatively, a UTI could cause incontinence, and one keeps causing the other endlessly.

Is there any treatment for incontinence in dogs? It's been 6 days, and we super love her, but it's getting a little frustrating having to mop pee up constantly with no warning and no way to train her out of it.

It depends on what the cause of the incontinence is. How old is your dog?

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
That sounds like a pretty good plan assuming you mean phenylpropanolamine. Here's a site that goes through common reasons for urinary incontinence in dogs: http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_urinary_incontinence.html

Also deaf dogs rule. Did the rescue know why she was deaf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Rangpur posted:

This might seem like an odd question, but is it possible for a dog to overexert themselves while playing? We adopted a pair of older terrier mixes and the male, Spike, loves his Kong. He will chase after it for hours on end, to the point where his breathing sounds like he's on the verge of a heart attack. I'm not trying to run him ragged but he just keeps bringing the thing back over and pawing at my legs to throw it again.

We see it all the time, especially with dogs prone to problems with their joints or airways. Dogs with pre-existing airway problems (whether they be brachycephalic or laryngeal paralysis or small fat dogs with tracheal collapse or whatever) definitely can get themselves worked up to the point of actually being in respiratory distress and needing emergency intervention. Dogs with joint problems will almost inevitably run themselves into lameness. Dogs are dumb as gently caress.