Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Sash! posted:

Almost 60% of marriages fail because they can't agree if Y counts or not.

:lol: nice one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I know it seems silly, but you have to wonder how much of it is now driven by fantasy football. "Maurice Jones Drew is out so pick up his backup!" and its a race among people in a league to do just that. So people are going to subscribe to twitter feeds and check certain outlets if they are reliably fast and accurate.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Febreeze posted:

Oh man I still have a good chance on some of these

Mark Sanchez retains the Starter role all year- somehow, someway this ends up coming true despite everyone in the world other than Rex and Tanny being completely confused about it.
Brandon Marshall has no incidents- Cutler is more likely to have an incident than Marshall. You would think a surly QB and a WR with issues would be a disaster, but they are somehow not blowing up. Its actually kind of cool.
The Browns look competent enough - Still lots of games to Browns away.
Peyton Manning does not win Comeback Player of the Year - I don't know who else would even come close to this. Possibly Peterson, but I don't think he missed nearly enough of the season to really be considered a "come back" player.
The MVP is not a quarterback- Doubt this one comes true, unless Megatron does actually break Rice's records. That's pretty much the only chance.
The Bills make the Playoffs- not gonna happen
The Steelers don't- a toss up right now depending entirely on Ben's health
Nobody decides to move to LA - will come true
Chad Henne looks awesome with the Jags - has come true
Megatron actually has a better year and fully debunks the madden curse- has come true
John Skelton is the starting QB at the end of the year- When it comes to QB's and the Cardinals, literally anything is possible, except that they will have a good QB. That's impossible.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Tae posted:

Bears's defense is old, can't keep up *said for the last 4 years*

Its also said about the Steelers and (falsely) the Ravens. Apparently if you don't have 6 rookies on D, you are an aging defense.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

That's why the Pats finally cut that Brady guy who can't win the big one.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

superaielman posted:

There's been a lot of really terrible writing done in the aftermath of Percy Harvin's trade to the Seahawks. This piece stands out in particular:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl---sources--percy-harvin-s-lack-of-confidence-in-christian-ponder-was-final-straw-for-vikings-205048037.html

It has character assassination, painting Harvin as greedy for wanting a contract extension, and even a random blowing of Russell Wilson worked into the story. I hate sports media so much.

I love it. Harvin was difficult to deal with in college. *gives no examples, evidence, or elaboration.

I think I like best how he is painted as always wanting more, and paying him anything more than he is getting now is just going to result in him making more and more demands.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

ESPN Magazine writer Ryan McGee wrote an article on Ezekiel Ansah. http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2013/story/_/id/9172873/2013-nfl-draft-how-ezekiel-ansah-became-draft-top-defensive-end-espn-magazine

It's about how even people he destroys loves him or some poo poo, in which he quotes Georgia Tech Guard Omoregie Uzzi as saying this:

Several of his teammates comment on his twitter saying it doesn't sound like something he would say. Uzzi's response to the article and the following conversation is this:

Omoregie Uzzi ‏@Uzzi_LaFlare 15h
Definitely don't remember doing an interview w/ @ESPNMcGee... Don't know why words i never said were quoted

Uzzi Tweet:
@ESPNMcGee Apparently there's a misunderstanding. I have never spoken to you. I did NOT make the quote you've accredited to me.

McGee Tweet:
@Uzzi_LaFlare Sorry for the confusion, but we did talk. It's just been a while. It was the week of the ACC Championship.

I think you would remember saying something like that. I also think as a D1 lineman you wouldn't think WHOA!!! when somebody that is 6' 5" lines up across from you. Also I just watched season 5 of the wire again so I assume the journalist is making it up

Can't wait til a reporter says something along the lines of "Of course you said it! I mean, you were concussed at the time, but you definitely said it, maybe that's why you don't remember it!"

As an aside I have a cousin who played football in high school and was good enough to get offered scholarships to D1 schools. Anyways, he was a (obviously) big guy but super nice. After laying guys out, he always made sure to stop and help them up and make sure they were ok.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rap posted:

Lets start a thread this year writing funny previews each week and then lets go viral, on social media, using a personal brand. mobile. Tablet.

hashtag

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

it's not my fault you went to fake school :colbert:

I can't wait til Crazy ends up like Jeff Winger from Community and has to go to MDC with a bunch of weird kids.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

ESPN's ratings are down:

http://deadspin.com/espns-ratings-a...dium=socialflow

I think the most interesting stat from this article is that ESPN accounts for 45% of Disney's revenue :stare:.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ehud posted:

I wonder if part of this is people getting news from "alternative media" sources. I mean, don't most savvy sports fans rely on Twitter and whatnot for news these days?

Well, part of it was the basketball as mentioned in the article. Heat/Celtics was a great series and everyone who followed basketball watched that with more interest than possibly the Miami/OKC series.

I honestly hadn't heard of Fox Sports 1 as a serious threat until this article though. I also think there aren't as many story lines this off season. Yes, you have Hernandez, but last year you had referee lockouts and before that the NFL players lockout.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Parmesan Basil posted:

Can we talk about how lovely this article is because goddamn:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000216943/article/2013-nfl-supplemental-mock-draft

You better pay the poor intern who had to type all this poo poo out.

Cool, Dewayne Peace #1 overall!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Are you loving kidding me he opted to put ALL SEVEN ROUNDS AND WRITE PASS all the way until the 7th round?

I was honestly just expecting it to say PASS the whole way down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Pron on VHS posted:

Honestly what is most irritating about Waksman's article is how he couches it in very guarded language and mentions that FrontPageMag is not objective, but still parrots everything they say on Aboushi. He isn't critical of Kaufman at all, and basically reprints his poo poo with the "Muslim Extremist" language taken out, and then plays the objective observer with little warning statements like

Why even write the article then, Adam? Why?

He's just asking questions?!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Just tweeted at him. Maybe we can get some good ol fashioned goony twitter stuff going on. Last thing I remember was Fiz and Jimmy Clausen and that owned.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

warheadr posted:

This is the same author who two years ago wrote a column where she likened Terrelle Pryor to a terrorist for selling stuff and breaking NCAA rules, and wrote to "stop with the 'he’s a catalyst for change' meme."

So yea, maybe she should make up her mind about which extreme of loving stupid she wants to skew towards.

I have a feeling she will always skew towards the lighter end of the spectrum.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I think the Jets proved how well picking up a player only because people like him turns out.

Also, Denard could literally run circles around Tebow. I mean Tebow could smash him into pieces, but its basically comparing small and fast to big and strong.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Going to leave this here without comment:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/could-football-one-day-become-ghettoized-film-suggests-130932634--ncaaf.html

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ribsauce posted:

The article uses horrible wording and does a bad job of making the point it wants to, but I agree with the theory. Football is already pretty regional and the talent disparity already skewers much more towards the lesser income areas of the country.

I do have a question. Did wealthy people ever take up boxing or was it always a poor sport? I was just thinking about how I did not know a single kid who boxed. I was wondering if football was heading the same way.

I don't know about boxing, but its the trendy thing now to do MMA and the ultra wealthy will hire MMA fighters as trainers.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Sash! posted:

I'm not too worried about football. Kids will always want to run around and throw a ball and chase each other. They'll change the rules and eventually everything will work itself out. Then we'll look at old highlights and think "poo poo that's what we used to watch!?" Sort of like when I watch highlights from late 80s NHL, which was practically gladiatorial combat at times. There's stuff that you'll see and the commentators are like "clean hit" and now it would be a 30 game suspension.

Yeah, I think the Best Teams of All Time stuff are really funny. Like yeah, the 07 Pats would dominate a lot of teams playing in today's game. But if the 2007 Pats had to play the 1978 Steelers in 1978, they would get obliterated.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

superaielman posted:

Sash: Yeah, that's a problem with recruits in general. It isn't just the US- there's been some stories in China about the rising obesity problem limiting the pool of potential soldiers.

Also: Size difference alone would make a huge factor (Re Steelers/Pats). The Steelers offensive line was just north of 250 pounds per player, that is not going to hold up.

Yeah true, so the run game would be better. But in an era where going across the middle was a death sentence, do you really think some of the high powered offenses of today would hold up in those playing conditions?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

My point wasn't really about size. Even the worst teams of today would dominate, thats jsut a given the way the game has evolved. My point is that a pass heavy offense that relies on crossing routes wouldn't fare well in the 70's. Just like how the run heavy teams of then wouldn't fare well in today's game. My point is that given all these various simulations and comparisons made, there is just too much to take into account. Like if you are going to say that Pats today would change to a power running game, then why couldn't the Steelers similarly bulk there players up and have the training and facilities of today? If you are going to allow for any changes, its only fair to allow for the past teams to also have some adaptations and advantages of the modern era, otherwise whats the point. The 0-16 Lions would dominate any SB champ from before 1980-something.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I doubt Minnesota would fire Kill for having epilepsy, at least they would be incredibly stupid to do so. They could easily say he isn't meeting performance expectations. The best thing would just be to not extend or renew his contract, isn't it only for another year?

I have seen that he has seizures at other times, which to be fair does impact his ability to do his job. It takes time away from recruiting and coaching. It would be best for his own health to either step aside, or take a smaller role for some other team if he wants to continue coaching.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rogue Elephant posted:

It is unquestionable that Rick Reilly should be fired for such a massive breach of ethics which is why I think ESPN is going to do jack poo poo except maybe make him issue an apology.

On twitter.

They didn't even do anything to Craig James. CJ left to run for Congress and when he wanted to come back they just said "no thanks".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The ridiculousness of the headline and whole article actually got a laugh out of me:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/backstreet-boy-wants-way-fire-183030956--nfl.html

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Rooting for Notre Dame. First time for everything.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well at least ESPN learned something from the whole thi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCLc1U82KZk

Did Bill Murray hurl a spear into a crowd of students at Game Day?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Haven't official Seminole leaders actually come out in support of FSU using their name though? Like that's why Chief Osceola is still a thing in the first place.

They have. They also get a percentage of royalties on merchandise and such, so that helps too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The Onion has only ever deleted one thing ever and it was way worse than that

What was that?

Also, the Onion publishes stuff like that and way worse than that routinely.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Last year when Alex Smith lost his job to Kaepernick, the narrative was "You shouldn't lose your job to injury!" with the Bledsoe/Brady thing being painted as the exception to the rule. Now its like the exact opposite with Cutler and McCown. What exactly happened to change up a "hard rule" in the NFL over the course of a single season.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Febreeze posted:

I still can't believe Dameshek has a weekly show on NFL.com during the season. He's so annoying and terrible, how the gently caress did he manage that

He has several shows. I mean one is him just making up poo poo "What if this happened instead?" called the N"if"L. Some poor intern draws all the pictures for that too.

I would watch it but only if every question took the form "What if [player name] was [race other than the one the player is]?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hey guys, torturing dogs is bad. Intentionally harming another human permanently while playing a game is ok though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

This thread makes me remember that its time for the Douche of the Year Tournament.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If I had to choose between a neglectful drunk and Rick Reilly for a dad I would have to sit down an think for a good long while

Neglectful dad isn't going to share his awful opinions with you so he wins in a landslide.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Omar actually blocked FakeOmarKelly before saying a word, and actually contacted both the FOK account and told Twitter to shut it down.

Hes a loving gem.

Yeah, but did he tell on you to your college teacher.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I miss the days when lovely gimmick posters only poo poo up GDT's and N/V threads.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Didn't the writer have no clue they were going to make that graphic until it was published?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Curious if you guys know: Is PFTCommenter the alter ego of a real SB Nation/KSK writer or was he just a gimmick commenter that they thought was funny and then reached out to? Or was he a Twitter personality first?

He was a twitter person at first.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Lots of people defending Florio in here. Thats a weird statement to type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dutchy posted:

Really a gang is just a type of team when you think about it

I think the draft and free agency is a lot more brutal though.

• Locked thread