Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
midwat
May 6, 2007

My pick for the "Mike Florio run-on sentence of the day" is this lede:

"As Peyton Manning gets closer to a decision about his future (hopefully, he’s not getting farther away from making up his mind), the Broncos remain extremely viable — especially with the Dolphins reportedly focusing on Matt Flynn and the Cardinals having to decide by 4:00 p.m. ET on Friday whether to keep Kevin Kolb on the roster and owe him $7 million as of Saturday."

Let's look at the errors, shall we?

1. Wastes words trying to be clever. "Manning is closer to making up his mind, unless he isn't."

2. Uses "farther" instead of "further." Farther refers to physical distance, further to metaphorical distance.

3. "The Cardinals having to decide by 4:00 p.m. ET..." 4 p.m. is preferred over 4:00 p.m. for simplicity's sake. Is it necessary to denote "Eastern Time" here? Did the league suddenly move its offices to Wichita?

4. Really, that whole "Cardinals" sentence fragment is a mess. It contains overly specific information about a topic that has nothing to do with the main thrust of the story.

(In fact, the story ends up being about how the Jaguars or Dolphins could end up with Tim Tebow. Did you catch any of that from the lede?)

Why include "as of Saturday"? It just confuses an already-long sentence. Just say the Cards need to make a decision on Friday.

Conclusion: PFT has no copy editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

AKMoose posted:

As a former reporter, I am having trouble understanding what King's point is supposed to be. Reporters serve the public, not their sources. There was nothing surreptitious, illegal, or unethical about a documentary filmmaker releasing footage of statements made in his presence. I also get a kick out of how he passes judgment on a contract he admits he's never seen. What a dolt.

Peter King doesn't make points. He tells long, ambling stories about how in bed he is with the league.

In fact, you could view this as the NFL response to the situation: mad about the uncontrolled release of information, but happy that Goodell has another excuse to punish people.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Wow, PK used to take a lot less time to not get to the point.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

And PK goes with the company line because it gives him access. Why he needs access to say nothing at all is beyond me.

It's because PK has reached that wonderful level known as "media personality."

He's well-known enough that he no longer has to do much, just speculate and talk to his friends. He writes in favor of the status quo because The Rog and company are his friends.

He's like a living cautionary tale for reporters who get access.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mike Florio posted:

As a result, my initial reaction was to conclude that I’d been the victim of a bait-and-switch, via an effort to build advance buzz for something that, standing along, wouldn’t have drawn much attention.

Look at that loving sentence. This man writes for a living.

midwat
May 6, 2007

defiantgiant posted:

Oh, I'll do you one better: behold this loving masterpiece by the inimitable Scoop Jackson.

Man, I wish copy editors still existed.

Welcome to the new media, in which semi-literate morons blather on in increasingly long (but ever so meaningless) sentences.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Sash! posted:

I'm an editor (among other things) by trade.

I largely edit things written by engineers, who at least have the excuse of being colossal aspies that didn't have to learn how to write in the first place.

At least they have an excuse.

I've done my share of editing as well.

It never ceases to amaze, though, how these national reporters have the writing skills of an average backwater freelancer.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

I just wish a third of professional writers were any loving good at it. Especially people like King and Florio, who have the contacts to write amazing stuff every week.

How many editors do you think PK has driven to suicide?

Language butchery, King excels at you.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Copy editing is tons of fun, I know all the symbols and I have a green pen for being nice and a red pen for putting the fear of God into writers

please hire me, somebody

I'm in the same boat, man.

Declan MacManus posted:

Also the thing to keep in mind is that the average football writer is writing for a pretty broad audience who typically won't notice common grammatical and syntactic errors; also Peter King has no editor and cranks out MMQB in 12 hours on a train, this is literally the process that I use to write college papers I don't want to do

E: Also, seeing Favre watching Lard Lad on a television screen is still magical

If reporters reporting on reporters were a corporeal being, I'd drive a stake through its heart.

I'd do the time happily, knowing no one ever has to see something like Mary Carillo fawning over Peter King again.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

There's no excuse for not having editors, though - I worked at a wire service where speed = money in the most direct sense and we just had really good, really fast editors.

Florio pisses me off so much because he's a bad reporter and a bad writer. Peter King has the tools to be great at both - his problem is self-indulgence, not talent. Florio is just sort of a not-very-bright guy who lucked into a prominent position. Terry Bradshaw Expressway indeed

King also has no real inclination/incentive to rock the boat at all. The status quo with the league (i.e. Goodell being god-king) has made him fat and happy, so there's no reason to challenge it.

I'm not saying he should suddenly become an anarchist or anything, but he is very much the mouthpiece of the league office (and NBC! Isn't the Nard-dog funny? Watch our Thursday comedy lineup!).

midwat
May 6, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

You know what else has made him fat and happy? Lots of cream infused coffee drinks

It's not often you can purchase a man's undying loyalty for a triple grande whole milk hazelnut latte.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Its Miller Time posted:

Darren Rovell is leaving CNBC for ESPN. Hopefully he'll have more opportunities to put down supermodels there.

ESPN: edging ever closer to the douchebag singularity.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

Really you guys don't think reporters should strive to be fair to all sides

I don't think him having an opinion disqualifies him from covering an issue fairly. If that were so, journalism would be completely impossible.

The crux of the matter is if his opinion of the owner unfairly slanted his reports. Did he omit information in the owner's favor? Was he unnecessarily critical about the owner?

If so, it's a problem. If not, he's doing what every journalist on the planet does - quoting someone he thinks is an idiot.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Rap posted:

Once again, I know reporters form opinions on their sources, as I said with the Sara Ganim example. But if she had said on Twitter, dang, Joe Amendola creeps the poo poo out of me, then the rest of her reporting is tainted because of that.

You asked if reporters strive for fairness. The answer is that this guy probably strives for fairness as much as any other reporter.

Rap posted:

As soon as you reveal a bias it automatically "unfairly slants your reports."

I disagree. The product is the product - if it's sound, the reporter has acted professionally. A report can't be biased retroactively - it's either fair or it's not.

Certainly, this guy committed a faux pas - he said something stupid about someone he covers in public. I don't think, though, that he committed a grievous ethical violation.

midwat
May 6, 2007

NC-17 posted:

If Florio and Peter King were TFF posters what would their avatars' be?

Florio's avatar would be Roger Goodell, gettin' ready to deal some arbitrary justice to those miscreant players.

PK would have the Stupid Newbie avatar, because he's not smart enough to set an av during registration and won't deprive himself of a triple venti white chocolate chai caramel macchiato to fix it.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Hey, anyone can list off the 20 biggest draft busts, but putting it to pictures? loving genius.

You want to know the future of the Internet? Imagine a mouse cursor, clicking on the "Next Slide" button - forever.

midwat
May 6, 2007

I'm convinced Peter King is Roger Goodell in a fat suit.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

There's no point to the story. There's no punchline, no follow-up, no anything. Nothing omitted. That's all there is.

The life of Peter King.

For a man who spends his time interviewing millionaires and attending huge events, Peter King sure fixates on the most mundane poo poo.

midwat
May 6, 2007

AKMoose posted:

Rick Reilly has a column today about why it's better to watch an NFL game at home instead of attending live. Granted, this is just a gag list column, but it's still incredibly stupid. I attended my first NFL game earlier this year, and it completely changed the way I enjoy the game.

You know, Peter King gets a good deal of flak (and rightfully so), but you could conceivably find something worth reading in his monstrous weekly columns.

Rick Reilly is just pure, unrelenting poo poo.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Randomly Specific posted:

I remember when he was just the backpage guy for SI. At the time it really seemed like a worthy apex to his career.

I think ESPN was in one of its "let's hire a print guy so we look less like the TMZ of sports" moods when they brought him aboard.

midwat
May 6, 2007

AKMoose posted:

Looking at preseason predictions is always fun. At the beginning of the season, Peter King was predicting that the Chiefs would have the No. 3 AFC seed and had Romeo Crennel pegged for coach of the year.

Fake edit: In fact, three of SI's writers had Romeo as coach of the year. :psyduck:

As loathe as I am to defend Peter King, the Chiefs improving wasn't as crazy as it seems now. The team was getting healthy after a series of devastating injuries last year, and they were replacing a lunatic at coach.

Turns out the Chiefs aren't good, even when they're healthy, and Romeo doesn't belong as a head coach.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

They didn't quite realize just how bad Tebow was.

Did they not own a television?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

I don't even know how to reply to this:

Jerry Rice only caught passes that meant something, gulldarnit. His yards had a grit index of 100%.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

[img-growing_ironicat]

I bet he wants the replacements back, on the grounds that they "look scrappier."

midwat
May 6, 2007

superaielman posted:

It's Omar Kelly, possibly the worst writer in sports whose name isn't Florio or Shaughnessy. I'd say it is a pretty solid bet that he believes that.

Speaking of Florio! http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/02/26/teo-finally-gets-chance-to-focus-on-football/

Speculating about a player's sexuality. This is a man paid god knows how much to write about professional sports.

I will never understand how Florio parlayed dumb speculation and the writing ability of a 7th grader into millions of NBC dollars.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Anals of History posted:

Florio's take on a recent Kaepernick interview where he was plugging Michelle Obama's "Let's Play" initiative:

Kaepernick's visit to the radio show was likely scheduled well before the Smith trade and was predicated solely on talking about this philanthropic cause. Regardless of this basic fact, Florio:
  • Gets mad that Kaep completely side-stepped all drama with a completely logical answer and only talked about helping kids stay active. Worthless drivel compared to the possibility of hearing one human being verbally poo poo on another, right?
  • Implies that the "Let's Play" plug was just a handy smokescreen that shielded Kaepernick from having to tell the truth.
  • Says its "crystal clear" that Smith is getting traded based on this interview. It was crystal clear months ago, you twat.
This has been your "gently caress Mike Florio" moment for March 1, 2013.

It's also funny that the show in question is "Pro Football Talk," presumably based on Florio's own site. So, basically he's just whining that Kaepernick didn't give his corporate partner (subsidiary?) more newsworthy and salacious quotes.

Pathetic.

midwat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 2, 2013

midwat
May 6, 2007

St1cky posted:

With any luck they'll hire Rick Reilly away from ESPN and kill two birds with one stone

With any luck, they'll kill Rick Reilly with a stone.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Ozu posted:

PFT could actually make a wise decision and kill their comment sections.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/03/seeking-comments-on-whether-we-should-dump-comments/

Florio's just embarrassed that his commenters use fewer run-on sentences than he does.

midwat
May 6, 2007

What if Tim Tebow were white?

midwat
May 6, 2007

"Screw trying to understand the game better, I'm going to write more speculative drivel!"

midwat
May 6, 2007

Add "cities have traffic" to the list of things that inexplicably befuddle Peter King.

It joins such other entries as "coffee-flavored water," "Amtrak quiet cars" and "grammar."

midwat
May 6, 2007

nrr posted:

Scratch my earlier idea to start up a website to catalogue and call out lovely sports journalism and change it to writing inflammatory emails to lovely sports journalists to try and bait them into some sort of reply that will get them fired if it were to unfortunately be made pubic

Dear Peter King,

Coffee is overrated.

Sincerely,

A disabled veteran who is also a terminally ill child

midwat
May 6, 2007

Benne posted:

Pro Football Weekley is shuttering its doors

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2013/05/31/pro-football-weekly-says-goodbye

No more race-baiting pieces from Nolan Nawrocki :saddowns:

Misread that as "Pro Football Talk." Was ever-so-briefly happy.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Hey, thread, have some odious garbage: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9441388/nfl-new-england-patriots-stained-aaron-hernandez-saga

ESPN posted:

Team owner Robert Kraft is to blame. So is coach Bill Belichick. They made the choice to gamble on Hernandez, and while they could not have foreseen that one day their star tight end would be charged with murder as well as five gun-related offenses, they knew he had issues, including reported multiple failed drug tests while Hernandez was at Florida.

"For weed" should be branded on the forehead of anyone who writes about Hernandez's "multiple failed drug tests."

ESP-loving-N posted:

Given what Hernandez now is accused of in a story that gets more grisly by the day, New England tarnished its brand by choosing Hernandez twice, and it will take more than a jersey exchange to wipe that tarnish away. It will take time. And better choices. And fewer risks.

Explain to me, without using any ex post facto reasoning, how signing (and re-signing) Hernandez was a bad choice, or a risk.

The whole article is sub-Bleacher Report level. It is literally the hackiest column a human being could write about the Aaron Hernandez saga.

midwat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 2, 2013

midwat
May 6, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know how true this is but I'd think the type of people who feel like that was some precursor to murder probably know it was pot and don't care at all. They'd still make a bigger deal out of it if it was heroin or something, but to them it's just different flavors of the same kind of wrong.

That or they're just writing terrible things to make people talk. Since I'm not going to click that link who wrote it by the way?

Ashley Fox.

I'm pretty sure this is clickbait, but it's just plausible enough to be someone's really dumb opinion.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Deadspin interviews Peter King: http://deadspin.com/the-deferential-spirit-how-peter-king-became-the-nfls-867071583

Revealed:

- Peter King is churlish about being interviewed by Deadspin

- This sums up King in a nutshell, I think:

PK posted:

"But the whole thing about today's day and time, especially with a team like the Patriots, there's a certain element of CIA to the Patriots. There always has been under Belichick, there always will be."

He leverages his unparalleled access to the league to deliver a statement any casual fan could come up with.

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If that quote ended with a story about how the most recent hotel King was staying at didn't have the pillow mint brand he prefers so he called a manager to call their attention to this and she was polite, said she would look into it but had a little bit of a tone, then it would be a perfect summation of Peter King.

"Hire better people, Indianapolis Marriott. This totally deserves space in a column ostensibly about football."

midwat
May 6, 2007

Brady and Peyton better stay friends until they're 70.

At that point, they'll be the only current-era players still able to recognize faces.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Nately posted:

In which Peter King regrets not sucking up hard enough:

Self parody doesn't even begin to describe it.

That line isn't even clever. It's not even in viewing distance of clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

midwat
May 6, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Seriously? Because today he said...

Which reads as a pretty fake apology.

I don't even think you could categorize that as an apology whatsoever. It's more like a "some people thought I was wrong, but there are big-name people who thought I was right, so there."

Of course, PK could've set out to write an apology, then realized he hadn't dropped a name in a while, then started thinking about craft beer and then started thinking about why we haven't been to Mars yet, which is weird guys, am I right?

Get your act together, NASA.

• Locked thread