Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ribsauce posted:

I really appreciate TFF and twitter!. I remember 5 years ago reading the Peter King column (all 9 goddamn pages of it) sorting through tales of coffee escapades, white people/first world problems (more like 1%er problems), travel notes, and god knows what else to find a piece of information or two. Now I can just click TFF and get everything I need plus a Big Bob post to make me laugh my rear end off.

This is what makes going elsewhere so weird for me, because when I first got into watching football I used TFF as my guide (still do, I guess.) Being that this is the only football forum I really know, going elsewhere is a headache wrapped in a migraine dipped in poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Blackula69 posted:

One hundred and eighty million American dollars for zero-content slideshows

Hey, anyone can list off the 20 biggest draft busts, but putting it to pictures? loving genius.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Bamf posted:

Wanted to post the rare "Good for you" for a Florio post - he's going to stop reporting on Wonderlic scores and chides detestable Milwuakee scribe Bob McGinn for his latest article that derides athletes for not performing well on an arbitrary test. Florio shows a surprising amount of human understanding and empathy.

But he still has the "Days without an Arrest" tracker so, y'know, still a ways to go.

The McGinn article is as mocking and condescending as you'd expect.

Yeah, Florio also posted a brain-twisting article earlier today about the Tebow vs Sanchez "feud", it'll be quite a while before he earns any goodwill from me.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ozu posted:

This is not a satire account.

@OmarKelly
I'm like a cat. Very moody. Sometimes I want to play. Sometimes I'll scratch you. You just never know.

An over entitled little poo poo who ruins everything, is smug as can be, and isn't nearly so clever as he thinks? Sounds quite accurate, actually.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I'm hardly a media expert, but I would think there's still a role for the shouting heads infotainment shows, a la Bill O'Reilly and Colin Cowherd and whatnot, hence ESPN's transitioning to more of that kind of programming. Then again I try to avoid all that white noise, so I don't know if it's as widespread as it feels in my channel surfing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Badfinger posted:

I really hope there's NOT a role for shouting heads, it's awful at basically all the things - no clear communication of actual facts, no intellectual honesty, no journalistic intent. I mean, if you want to do a variety show go hog wild, but don't pretend it's not a variety show, a 3 hour editorial, instead of any sort of reporting outlet.

There's absolutely still a place for reporting and articles greater than 140 characters, but Twitter has already crushed you on Being First so you should Be Accurate or Be Thoughtful. For example - the CONCEPT of Peter King's column isn't bad. It's actually good! Aggregate ideas and noteworthy items together, and offer knowledgeable perspective. The problem is presentation.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely dislike all the shouting heads, I don't see much any value whatsoever. That said, television does seem to support that particular format better than internet or written media. I agree with everything else you said, I'm all for having newspapers be for longer, more insightful pieces, while the moment-by-moment internet updates supplement. Each medium just seems to be falling back more and more in their respective niches, and television media does still have it's place, even if it's not a particularly insightful or (for seemingly most people in this thread) enjoyable one.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Ehud posted:

in the whitest, nerdiest voice ever "yaaaaaaaaaaaay"

Looks like he's imagining riding a motorcycle, singing "highway to the danger zoooooooone"

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rap posted:

In an alternate universe:
ROMAN: Hey, like that new website.
KING: Hey, like that new offense.

ROMAN's eyes widen. He flashes his teeth in a shy smile, his eyes welling up at the thought that KING has noticed his offense and approves of it. He stammers nervously, having received a compliment from the most brilliant football mind in the world. His hands start shaking. KING noticing him is the highest achievement he could ever have dreamed of. Sweating profusely, he calls his wife and, between sobs, explains how he can never be happy again, having had a dose of the world's most powerful drug, the approval of KING.

Had a brief moment of panic at the beginning of your post that TFF was going to start in on Peter King slash fanfic territory.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I've been surprised to find that MMQB is actually filled with some interesting discussions about football. Of course none of that is coming from its lead writer.

A man's faith in humanity is confirmed by a Starbuck's giftcard. Another man's faith in humanity is shattered by a man's faith in humanity being confirmed by a STARBUCK'S GIFTCARD.

Well that's nice, I'm sure King appreciated the $10 much more than the homeless guy outside.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Yeah, but he has to listen to Michael Irvin and Warren Sapp everyday.

Which would be hilarious, in a Through The Looking Glass sense.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

seiferguy posted:

Chris Chase of USAToday has things to say about Golden Tate's waving:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/golden-tate-taunt/

Alright, reasonable enough... wait, there's more?
[/b]

:stare:

But I thought Tate wasn't saying hello, I thought he was saying goodbye?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

superaielman posted:

What really makes me sad is that FakeOmarKelly hasn't updated since July.

I assume he quit because it's getting indistinguishable from the real thing.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Someone on Twitter just showed me these articles from a "former scout." I....I can't tell if he's serious or trying to land an Onion gig

http://www.touchdown-europe.net/2014/02/daniel-kelly-tim-tebow-future-hall-of.html

http://www.touchdown-europe.net/2014/02/daniel-kelly-michael-sam-most-powerful.html

His writing style and grammar suggest severe brain damage to me, so I'd guess he's serious. About his opinions, that is, not that he was a scout.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

A Man and his dog posted:

@OmarKelly: People discover me by word of mouth. They have no clue who I am, what I do, why I do it, what qualifies me. Therefore, they challenge me.

From a few post back but :lol: at this tweet. Jesus.

Well it's true. The only people who challenge Omar Kelley are ignorant fools, and we should all just bask in his TRUTH.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I would absolutely read a full book of Peter King's road trip across the US, being forced to stay in 1 1/2 star motels and eat at small town diners the whole way, not a Starbucks in sight. It'd be like some 1880's British aristocrat explorer's journal,My Time Among the Poors.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

quote:

Black people get angry when you refer to them as monkeys or gorillas. Newton, who is black, probably didn’t even realize he was making racially-charged comments.

Really, did nobody sit the writer down and just try to parse the back-to-back logic of these two sentiments?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I am quite happy right now, thanks Peter.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Hartline calls everyone out in every avenue god I love him on miami. He's so loving blunt lol.

I've mentioned he does Paul and young Ron all the time and last time he was on he called out wallaces comments saying he understands what he means but it does come off bad after every loss

I just read his Wikipedia page, and it says he owns and operates some random convenience store in Ohio during the offseason? Like, he hangs out at a 7-11 in his free time? Because that's pretty fantastic, way better than a restaurant or car dealership or whatever.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Rasczak posted:

How has Florio not won douche of the year yet, he's even worse than Jeff Ireland

To paraphrase one of my former clinical supervisors, after beating your head against a brick wall every day for years, it's a lot less noticeable than an infrequent slap to the face.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I'm legitimately curious what it would be like to have a private, 1:1 conversation with Omar Kelly. I mean, it's easy to be such an egocentric blowhard in public, doubly so online, but if you got him alone and candid, would he still be an obtuse, narcissistic, oblivious bag of garbage? My money is on a resounding yes, but I'd be interested to find out.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sweet thursday posted:

I dunno which group is sadder: sports journalists or video game reviewers. I guess video game reviewers are at least experts in their field with first hand experience.

The latter also gave us Gamergate, which has been at least as entertaining to me as PFTCommentator.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I tried to follow it, as much as one could, but I still have no loving clue what Gamergate is "about", all I know is a bunch of people got into amazing slap fights and had massive meltdowns at SJW's, or being called SJW's, or I don't know what, but it was funny and made everyone involved dumber simply by being present.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Chilichimp posted:

Bring back Faith Hill's stunning goddamn legs, NBC, tia

I don't care about this, it's the change in key that bothers me a whole lot about Carrie Underwood's version, because apparently I'm the lamest autistic manchild ever.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

He's just living his truth, who are we to judge?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

NC-17 posted:

Do you have 90 days to return her if she's the wrong size?

Nah, but they have a great 25% off deal for amputees.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Other states should pick up on this, kind of wish they would offer bong rips flying into Portland or Seattle like how they give you a lei landing in Hawaii.

I've never actually been to Hawaii, if they don't give you a lei when the plane lands don't ruin this for me

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Benne posted:

Doing a fake Omar account is impossible because nobody can out-Omar Omar

I'm pretty sure the real Omar would even agree with this sentiment. Because he keeps it REAL or some such bullshit.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Mel's got an extra bladder located under his hair, watch closely and it swells throughout the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Do they have some history or what? Because that column was weirdly vitriolic and aggressive, even for sports journalism.

• Locked thread