Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can anyone tell me what the quality's like on the HG Seravee Gundam? I kinda picked up the hobby with an HG (later followed by an RG because of how... meh it was) Freedom Gundam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

Big 'ol sale at HLJ for gundam stuff. I just grabbed a PG freedom. Does anyone know if it shares parts with the strike rouge? Since they are both strike variants.

Unlikely. The Freedom's not a variant of the Strike, it's a Gundam all of its own design.

Oh, and thanks for the replies :tipshat:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
While I remember, can anyone recommend an online store that won't cripple my wallet with shipping costs to Australia? Or is HLJ just the go-to store? (Couldn't find the shipping rates on the site)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

If I remember right, load up the cart and it will calculate shipping when you put in your address.

Thanks for this. Shipping is 980 Yen apparently, so that's actually not too painful. All-in-all it'd only set me $30.

Morgenthau posted:

Nice, they got some of those old rear end vintage kits on for sale. I'll be definitely getting a few.

How about from Malaysia? I have a buddy that owns a Gundam shop here, and he occasionally ships overseas. I could give you his contacts if it's ok for you.

I appreciate this, but I don't intend to dip too deeply into Gunpla as a hobby. I simply don't have the room to store another addictive hobby after videogames. I want to, but I have to be... responsible :negative:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nasgate posted:

You say this, but we will see. The only thing stopping me at this point is the need to eat.

Well there is space atop the small shelf I keep my PS2 games on for a couple of RG's or even a MG... No. NO! I'm only getting an HG Seravee and that's it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nasgate posted:

I think the trick to not spending a ton of money on models/figures is to have as few favorite suits/shows.

This is pretty much why the only one I want to get is the HG Seravee (A pity there isn't an RG, or I'd go after that). Liked both it and the Freedom's designs, and it seemed a way to keep me from going overboard. Otherwise I'd start looking for a not-too-expensive Space Battleship Yamato to sit on my desk :shepicide:.

I wanted to contribute a little as thanks for all the help I've been given, so here's some pictures of my HG and RG Freedom's

This is basic shot of the HG

:eng101:Note that stickers are used for most of the fine detail jobs, and that both the rifle and hip-mounted gauss rifles are a bland gunmetal grey. This is a Sad Thing.

The wings... are pretty disappointing - All four are fixed pieces of blue plastic. The hip guns fold out though. The rifle's just hanging loose in the 'hold things' hand, it's not anchored with a tab or anything.

What's that? You want Full Burst Mode? Well gently caress you AND the Zoid you rode in on - these bastards swivel on the wing's axis and don't tilt.

By comparison, this is the RG Version, which I bought while looking for a Seravee because I'd heard the RG's are much, much nicer and was not wrong.

Already you can tell this thing is better - All the small detail bits are actual pieces instead of stickers, and the rifle's actually the right colour. (The little shoulder thrusters move as well, rather than being fixed in place)

The wings are gorgeous, if a little fiddly. The lowest two are a little loose, but it's just a simple matter of pinching the join holding them with friction into place.

This looks much better. I like the little detail of the handles on the hip-guns - they fold out for the hands to hold (They're also not Generic Grey). I also love the tiny movable fingers on this thing. It came with a whole load of detail stickers, and I might do them at some point for the hell of it, but not any time soon.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

Jesus Christ I never knew the original hg of the freedom was so bad. Those proportions! :stare:

I have the rg freedom and it's going to be my first RG. I'm looking forward to it and despite the flaws of Seed, the freedom remains a drat good design.

Get yourself one of the HG Action Stands for it - the RG Freedom comes with a tab to fit it atop one and it's pretty much the only way it won't constantly fall over backwards due to the wings.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh god, there's a Revoltech Tachikoma coming in December :swoon: (The season 1 version, if anyone's curious. It's on HLJ as a preorder). Someone talk me out of it.

edit: Oh and they have the Tamashii Epyon Gundam there too. It appears that it transforms, so I'm guessing I'm not the only one debating with their wallet right now.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What makes it worse is I already have a little blue tachikoma blu-tacked to one of the upper corners of my monitor. I got it out of one of those little grab-bag boxes for $5 a good few years ago and I wish I'd grabbed more

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Alright, I should've known I'd do this.... what's the quality like on the HG Seraphim Gundam? If I'm getting the Seravee, I may as well get that too if it's any good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I ordered an HG Seravee GHNW/B and Seraphim off of HLJ (Amazon won't ship Gundam kits to Australia for some reason :argh:). Gotta wait for a restock on both of them some time in December, though :sigh:. I actually nearly bought an HG Heavy Arms Custom as well because it was all of $10, but the reviews and general pictures suggested it wasn't that good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

If you want a Heavyarms, bite the bullet and buy the Master Grade Heavyarms. Don't waste your money on the old Wing kits.

Ignimbrite posted:

Go to the page of the thing you want, then on the right hand side of the page there should be a short list of sellers. If you click the "<number of sellers> new" link below that list, you get taken to another list which has a bunch of those items from a bunch of different sellers. This is Seraphim Gundam's list of sellers: link

Now what you want to do here is look for a seller that ships from Japan, who will most likely ship to Australia. Here's the MG Heavyarms sellers list: link

It is a pain in the rear end that Amazon doesn't ship a whole bunch of things here to Australia, but you can still buy them through amazon if you just have a look around their sellers lists. You can also get better prices than you would if you just bought straight from Amazon.

Cheers for this. The Heavy Arms was going to be just a "eh, why not" purchase because of the price, really. Thanks for the advice though.

Edit: So much for a "December Restock" - They've come instock and are now on their way to me in the mail! :dance:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 15, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Oh you have GOT to be kidding me Bandai:

ANOTHER MG Strike Gundam?!

I'll bet that it's the Strike Rouge. That's about the only one they haven't done.

edit: VVVVVV

I know, but haven't they been re-doing them all for the HD remaster though?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

I had a dream...

...and it's name is Zero.

Good grief. The wingspan on that thing's going to be massive!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HLJ's Black Friday sales are ending today. Doesn't seem to be anything must-have, but $5 for a pair of Balls was very tempting and there seems to be a few decent discounts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the 00 HG's would do the trick, wouldn't they? The Exia is a pretty decent (and simple) design.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Popehoist posted:

Try an MG as well. Ask before you buy with MGs though, because they WILDLY vary in quality.

The same for some of the older HG's as well. If you want an example, go through my posts in the thread for my comparison of the HG and RG Freedom's.

Oh, and I put my HG Seravee GNHB/W (thank you whoever it was that mentioned this existed. MORE GUNS! :black101:) and Seraphim over christmas. They came out looking pretty drat good together.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

I think it's limited to Strike Gundam since the original kit was outdated compared to the other four GAT-X suits.

Do you reckon the sword and launcher packs will be sold separately, or together like the RG version?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

They are being sold together, but Bandai made them an online exclusive item, and you can't just buy the old Sword/Launcher pack cause they don't have the hardpoints to be put onto the Aile pack.

Ah, okay. What the quality's like on the RG version of the Aile Strike and the Skygrasper kit with the other two strike packs? (And can you "Perfect Strike" them together?) I should also probably stop eying the 1/1000 or 1/500 Space Battleship Yamato 2199's on HLJ too :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

If you have experience with RG, then you know what to expect. That said, all videos I have seen on RG Strike and the Skygrasper have been positive. However, you technically can't "perfect strike" them together since there's no connection points on the aile pack for the sword and the launcher to connect.

Edit: Here's a link to a site that's selling the MG Remaster Perfect Strike in a combo deal if you are interested. http://gginfinite.com/MG-1-100-Aile...Combo-Deal.html

Thanks, but if I do pull the trigger on a Strike I'll probably just get the RG and the Skygrasper kits. $80 is just a bit much for me to mentally justify, plus I don't really have the room for an MG anywhere at the moment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I finally got around to putting stickers on my RG Freedom Gundam and I think it looks a lot better with them. I didn't add every :spergin: little sticker, just the major ones and a few tiny ones to fill in noticeably-blank areas. There's one or two that're slightly askew, but I'm happy with how it turned out.

Taken without flash or auto focus, just because it was the only drat way I could to get the silver decals on the wings to show up.

And with proper flash and focus

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I recently noticed that dalong had a segment for Kotobukiya kits, and checked it out.

What the hell happened to the SRX's head? :stare:

Oh, that's easy to fix. All you need is a muscle car.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How do you guys like real grade 1/144s? I've stuck to 1/100 because 1/60 were too expensive, and the only 1/144s I had were utter cheap crap (I think that was gundam wing, before the RGs hit). I like the quality of the master grade stuff, and I've heard real grade is a decent compromise.

If you follow my posts back to my first few in the thread some months back, I did a comparison of the RG and HG Freedom Gundams that should give you some idea of the quality to expect in one.

Bloody Pom posted:

On that note, I would buy the poo poo out of a 1:100 Megas XLR.

But only if it had all the hidden weapons, Jammer included.

Why settle for the Jammer when you can have Super Destructor Mode? (You heard the man, kids. Super Destructor Mode)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

HG Freedom isn't really a fair example for current HG quality. The kit has some lovely proportions and lacks Freedom's most distinguishing feature.

Might want to re-read Meow's post. He was asking about real-grades, not just 1/144's in general :ssh:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, turns out there's an anime import store in my city that has RG kits for $35AU :shepspends:. I'm now the owner of an RG Aile Strike.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'll see your damaged leg and raise you a finished RG Aile Strike (minus stickers, which I'll do when I stop cursing about the tiny stickers used for detail effects on the Aile's thrusters)

And for comparison, beside my RG Freedom

Now to start hunting down an RG Skygrasper...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
MG Heavyarms Custom. Nothing says "IT'S A GUNDAM!" like eight miniguns and enough missiles to level a city :black101:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

404GoonNotFound posted:

I know it's probably been asked before, but what's the general opinion on the Bandai VF-25 models? Because HLJ has a new shipment coming in soon and I really can't decide if I want one or not.

And even if I do, I can't choose between Regular Alto, Armored Alto, Tornado Alto, or Armored Ozma :negative:

The correct answer is the 1/60 $150 30th anniversary VF-1J :shepface:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I still have the following to build: RG Zeta, HGUC Sinanju, RG Freedom. Thinking of buying: MG Tallgeese, RG Aile Strike, Some form of Nu Gundam, Gouf custom and Hyaku shiki. Would appreciate any feedback from you all who have built these :)

The RG Aile Strike's a great kit to build and lots of fun to pose. It's worth getting the RG Skygrasper as well if you do get the Aile Strike, as it comes with the other two striker packs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

What's the alternative? the MG that's garbage?

http://imgur.com/q6FmIDI,v0dOq0s

An amazing build so far, but holy gently caress that poo poo was hard to get on his arms.

Can the arms be posed in any way that doesn't cause them to sag under gravity? :magical:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The first and second ones are kinda decent, and then you get to number three. I didn't think it was possible to for a Gundam model to look like it prayed for an end to its suffering, but there you go :magical:. Also, what's the quality on the HG Buster Gundam? Saw one for cheap and was wondering if it's anywhere near as bad as the HG Freedom.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Basically all the Seed kits are mediocre, with only a few standouts (Stargazer, Astrays). 00 was where the HG line really started to get good.

I figured as much, just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

That's not even the worst still you could find, dude

Well you can't say something like that without sharing a better example :colbert:. Oh and I actually came across a surprising find in my local model store the other day - a Perfect Grade Wing Zero Custom with the Pearl Mirror finish. For $449AU :shepface:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I've found a small pair of wirecutters work quite well. Angle them flush with the surface of the piece and it'll cleanly take off most or all of the nub in one snip.

Something like these where the blades have a flat surface on one side.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

where am I supposed to put all of this

Also apparently USPS delivered my Blast/Sword Impulse conversion kit five days early, while I was in China. Tracking info marks it as Returned, but when I went to the post office they didn't know where it was either. :negative:

You only bought the Aile Strike, even though you got the Impulse conversion kits? I'm disappointed :colbert:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fauxtool posted:

what kits is this made of?

Looks like a Zeta with the hyper-mega-launcher and I want to guess a Justice Gundam's jetpack repainted?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Sazabi ver ka? Hell yes!

RG Strike Freedom? BOOOO!!! :argh:

I'd have thought they'd start milking 00 for RG suits by now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Faltion posted:

The RX-78-2 just had huge hands in the show, it's not really all that off.

Not to mention it's missing the outer shell there, so they probably look a lot better when it's completed.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Uh, are you looking at the picture of the Turn A's frame? Because the review has a full shot of the completed 3.0 at the top. :v:

Um.... Whoops :doh:.

I don't know what this thread's done to me, but my first thought upon seeing that picture was they must've had a hell of a time getting the stickers on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Official art from Gundam Build Fighters:

Come on HGAC line.:)

Is... Is that Heavyarms? :aaaaa:

• Locked thread