Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rythe posted:

Just found out my office has a C&C laser cutter that can go through 1/2 inch oak. I'm excited for this, I'm so going to abuse access to this new toy for nerdy stuff.

Just as a heads up, 1/2 is really like, the absolute maximum for laser cutters, and if you’re doing it on wood, you’re running some heavy fire risks. With oak you’re probably moooostly fine but seriously be super careful when you’re really cranking the wattage on that laser tube

E: wait this is the cosplay thread not the woodworking thread; and you were likely just using the 1/2 oak as an example of power. In which case, go fuckin hog wild and find yourself a decent acrylic supplier and cut loads of poo poo all day forever. Laser cutters are the fuckin best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Several small magnets. You'll need rare earth ones for something of that weight, but you can stitch them into the lining of the jacket easily enough. What I don't know is how to build them into your rifle since I only use foam and thermoplastics. May take some adjustment of the build.

Magnets in the jacket is a pretty good idea, or even a magnet bandolier under the jacket if you don’t want as much disruption to the shape of things

Have you already modeled/printed your rifle? If not, just add a channel that’ll accept a 1/2” length of steel bar, and epoxy that steel in there. Optionally also print another piece to go on top or just paint over it at your leisure.

Actually steel bar is gonna likely be heavier than you need/want
Any strip of magnetic whatever will do, like maybe a thing of steel plumbers tape or the like

Or reverse this whole thing, put magnets in rifle and embed ferromagnetic strip in your jacket

Sockser fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 31, 2018

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Laid out with a flu for a week

Finally feeling good enough to like, go back to work, and eat things that aren’t soup

When I realize oh gently caress tomorrow is Halloween

So I run out to Joann and I kill a six pack and get cozy with my sewing machine and my lovely glue gun because I left my good one at a friends house and four hours later we got this bad boy goin

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Alright so I’m trying to do an impossible costume—

It’s a glowing orb with some limbs just kind of floating around it.

For the most part, simple enough. Make a mask, make a neck piece, make some foam armor for my limbs, wear a black zentai. No big deal.

But I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to do that central orb. My current plan is to do a packing tape duplicate of a small yoga ball that’s about the size of my torso and just wear the front half as like a sandwich board? But I’m not sure how well that’s going to work out so I’m open to suggestions.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Turns out none of my friends who wanted to join in on the group knew anything about making costumes so I had to do lots of teaching and delegation and sourcing materials and lending out tools but poo poo we still managed a group costume

https://twitter.com/rottentunagames/status/1081657803847143425?s=21

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Sockser posted:

Con’s over and I collected all our photos so here’s some cool shots-

Fuckin Infinite Blades (kinda hard to see because of the light behind my cloak but it’s the only photo we got of my fuckin 20? Shivs)

Edit: forgot the most important one

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

I want to make a costume of a pod from NieR: Automata that's basically a hat with a voice mod thing so I can make funny proposals. Any of ya'll have suggestions for materials to use or guides?

https://learn.adafruit.com/wave-shield-voice-changer/overview

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

There’s a few other voice mod tutorials on Adafruit worth checking out as well, I think, depending on what you want to do

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The sand is just to keep the PVC from caving in on itself when you bend it. Without the sand it’d be like putting a kink in a garden hose.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

jmistajay posted:

I'm working on a Slay the Spire Cultist:

The mask turned out way better than I expected.

That’s pretty good!

I advised my friend on his and just had him make evil teds helmet and then add a cone to the front

(I’m the silent)

Sockser fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 1, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

If it’s going to flex or move even a little bit, hot glue will never be enough

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Rythe posted:

I'll have to double check the base plate that I'm using but as far as I can tell it's just run off the mill, everyday plastic. Pretty much going to take apart a thin plastic container. I'll take a pucture when I get home.

I was thinking something like this
https://www.oatey.com/2371985/Product/Oatey-ABS-To-PVC-Transition-Green-Cement

when you’re “bonding” plastics to plastics, it’s actual critical to know which plastics you’re using, since the binding agent will melt the two mating pieces together. If the “run of the mill everyday plastic” you’re using isn’t ABS, that solvent won’t do anything.

If you don’t know what kind of plastic it is and have no way of identifying it, epoxy is a safer bet.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Would something like this do?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7S39CW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had the same problem last year and bought like three different diameters of this before scrapping the costume

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Rythe posted:

Thanks for the info. Would Jo-Ann's, Michael's or Hobby Lobby have a selection?

Joann and Hobby Lobby should have you covered (go to the former if possible)
Michaels, afaik, never carry fabric
And it’s unlikely a Walmart fabric section would have the stuff you’re looking for

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Spirit gum is a pretty standard bet

When I dressed as waluigi I managed to bend a wide coat hanger to perfectly hang off my septum and I could never reproduce that bend again, but it was a pretty rad setup

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Trying to be Mysterio from Spider-man

Need a giant plastic globe

Cheapest I can get one online is like $50, and my local Home Depot only carries such globes in white

I might be able to work with white, and illuminate it from the inside, but having it be clear would really open up some options for me with making it cooler.

Any suggestions on sourcing such a thing?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Did it
People went nuts
I’ve never had a cosplay go over so crazy well

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

My visibility was approximately “can see when people are done taking photos but can’t see well enough to walk”

The effect is cotton stuffing that’s been spray adhesives to the inside and then torn off and then repeated several times

Breathing was rough, even with two fans on my neck. Could probably definitely improve both the visibility and breath ability issues fairly easily, but that’s what a one week cosplay gets you. Didn’t even have the full suit on until this morning.

E: the other mysterio in that second photo had a solid white helmet, a camera in his chest, and a small video screen inside his helmet, which seemed pretty silly to me when my solution was obviously superior

Sockser fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 6, 2019

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

EVA foam and a hard hat is a pretty sensible call

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

How batshit insane is the difficulty level in getting the colors to kinda ebb and flow (plus be the right color)?

Do you mean the colors of the infinity stones?
Or the colored cracks that are running down that example?

LED projects are like, pretty stupid easy these days, actually!

Frankly Built has a bunch of videos that would probably be a good resource
https://www.youtube.com/@FranklyBuilt/videos

Although I find that like 95% of his content is just explaining 3d printing and not all the cool esoteric bits of what he's doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

TwystNeko posted:

I'm tempted to do another print of the mask, and electroplate it, which would be really slick. Hell, electroplate all the parts, then do a black wash, mmm.

Electroplating is probably more than you really need

This is just a graphite rub and it looks great