Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RazorBunny posted:

Does anybody know of a place that sells elf ear tips that aren't made of latex?

Click here for silicone ears. Silicone looks way better than latex, and actually behaves almost like actual skin. The price is a bit higher than latex, but you're paying for quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

RazorBunny posted:

I actually just ran across that site a few minutes ago! That's pretty cool. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Someday I would love to get into silicone casting myself, but it's on a long, LONG list of techniques I eventually want to learn.

Casting with silicone is just like casting with any other pourable 2 part medium: stir slow, pour high :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, Google will turn up a million and a half articles on casting with various mediums, it's amazing how much information is available these days.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

7thBatallion posted:

So I'm doing a Fallout themed costume. It's from Rivet City, an old Flight Deck cranial and Mk 1 life preserver. I've got patches from the USS Oriskany on it, and I'm trying to figure out how, without relying on weapons, I can tie this to the fallout universe. Any ideas?

Belt pouch with a deck of Tragic cards hanging out, leather aviator cap, rolled-up Scout Handbook sticking out of your back pocket, Vault 101 canteen on your hip and a couple of Stimpaks in your pocket.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dollar Tree sells 3-packs of LED tea lights that are powered by a single CR2032 battery. They're easy as hell to disassemble and replacing the amber LED with a blue one is trivial.

edit: The best way to get a shitload of cheap LEDs with matching voltages (they're all 3.3v white LEDs with colored acrylic casings) is to buy a string of multicolored LED christmas light strings. Home Depot and Lowes usually have strings of 50 for $4-6.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 1, 2013

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lord Frisk posted:

Hi everyone. I'm currently making a Comedian costume from the Watchmen (minutemen) and have a question about recoloring leather. I've got some sheepskin gauntlets that turned out awesome as far as color. I spray painted them with multiple light coats. However, the glove itself remains tacky. Not like "not dry" sticky, but they have a tendency to stick to themselves.

Anybody run into this problem and have a handy solution?

Dust them with talcum powder, bang them out, repeat until the gloves no longer stick.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Krylon Fusion gold spray paint. Fusion is made to bond with plastic so that it won't wear off.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Kazy posted:

I live in a small apartment building so I'm not sure I have the place to spraypaint :( But I'll try it!

This is Philly, do it in the street like I do.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

jimcunningham posted:

I know this is lame, but I really need ideas for what Im going to do. I really really want to get into cosplaying mostly for the experience making the costume. Never sewn or anything, but my mom could teach me. She also does leatherwork. I work with metal and hydraulics and we have a lot of waste, so I think I might be able to make something awesome.
That said, im 6'8 around 350lbs, healthy muscle behind fat. Ive thought about doing Sabertooth, which would be fairly simple. Back up plan is Jubilee which would be extremely easy. My left arm is covered in tats so preferably need that covered unless applicable, and i dont really watch anime so thats out. Please help.
Want to do something for Comic-Con in November.

How was this not the first thing that popped into your head?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

SusiePhone posted:

This seems like the sort of thread where I can bitch about how much I hate embroidering on velvet.
I'm putting together a Raistlin costume, from Dragonlance. I'm in the UK, no-one has any idea what Dragonlance is, so I figured I'd share with you guys.
I've finished the staff, and I'm pretty pleased. Of course, I'd like to be able to use real brass for the claws on top, but without a forge... air drying clay it is. I've got step-by-step pictures on my Deviantart (click) , but here's a pic of the finished staff.

Yes.

Just don't do the bad Raistlin costume thing where you literally paint your skin metallic gold.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Black shoe polish, sandpaper and a few sharp tools are your best friends when it comes to distressing/aging leather armor.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dremel with a cutoff wheel. Wind your wire around a dowel with an OD the size of your desired ring's ID and cut along the entire length.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Funhilde posted:

keep it white and be "ghost magneto"

(this is Magneto's current look)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

ABS it is, then. Happily, there's a plastics supplier with stores in the Seattle area here that can make cut-to-order sheets.

What materials would you guys suggest for the Great Knife? A friend suggested MDF board for the bulk of it, and just put a bit of real metal at a particular point for making noise on concrete.

Do what I did and use foamcore. It's super light, yet durable and ridiculously easy to work with. I'll get some photos of my PH helmet up as soon as I can for reference.

And for the great knife, use 1" rigid insulation foam board. You can get an 8'x2' sheet at any Home Depot or Lowes for like $12. I embedded a couple of nickels in the curve so that it'd make a scraping noise when I dragged it along the ground.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Take a cue from WETA and make PVC chainmail.

http://www.instructables.com/id/PVC-Chainmail/

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Reformed Tomboy posted:

There is also these if you don't want to mess with sawing pvc to make rings:
http://theringlord.com/cart/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=219&cat=Engineered+Plastic+Rings

They're paintable/dyeable, already smooth, and snap (or glue) together.

:aaaaa:

I had no idea those existed.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm trying to focus on Doom, but I can't help but focus on Christopher Walken as the 11th Doctor in the background.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Evil Ted is great, the only thing I don't like is that he recommends using a standard box cutter for making cuts in EVA foam, instead of a hot knife, which is way easier to use and finishes the edges of the foam with heat while you cut it.

http://www.amazon.com/Walnut-Hollow-29639-Professional-HotKnife/dp/B003GXF4EK

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

You can also substitute acrylic craft paint for the leather dye, and it'd be much, much cheaper, and it's available in a wider variety of colors than just browns and black.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Find someone with a vacuum former and a male anatomical dummy, then just form the armor with clear plastic.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hot glue or contact cement would be your best bets. Just make sure you rough up the acrylic with some sandpaper beforehand.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mecha Neko posted:

General glue question: is there an advantage between wood glue/mod podge/white glue? Or do they basically all produce the same result when used as a sealant?

They're all PVA (Polyvinyl Acetate) glues, but with a few differences.

White glue is basic PVA with water added to make it thin and runny, Tacky glue is pure PVA, Wood glue has additional resins added to the PVA base for strength, and Mod Podge is literally just PVA mixed with satin or gloss acrylic varnish.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

It would most likely melt and peel, possibly burn.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

blastron posted:

How the gently caress do I make any of this? I can cut out a chunk of green fabric, but how do I get that ridged-yet-flexible pseudo-embroidery along the edges and around the gem? For that matter, how do I securely attach that gem to the fabric, and what clear-ish material can I make it out of so that it's not going to massively suck to have it pounding against my crotch as I walk around the con all day? Also, what's the best way to actually attach it to my waist?

1. I'd sculpt the trim/edging/filigree out of clay, then make a plaster mold of it and cast it in latex or silicone and attach it with...

2. Contact cement, my droog.

3. Belt loop. Allow for an extra 1 3/4" of fabric at the top, fold it over so that makes a 1 1/4" tube with a 1/2" seam allowance at the top of the loincloth and run your belt through it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

If I can dig it out of storage, i'll show off the shirt that I weathered for Leatherface last year.

I used 2 spray bottles with super watered-down RIT dye (bright yellow and dark brown). I mainly focused the yellow on areas where sweat stains would accumulate, and the brown on the waist and cuffs, with random spritzes, streams and mistings of both all over the fabric. I let it air dry, and it came out perfect.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

McKilligan posted:

Gettin' ready for halowweeeeeeen '17.

Man why would you even bother with Mother and Child when you can go straight to GIANT DAD?

That being said; that is some phenomenal work.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Commissar Canuck posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to weather a polyester flag? I'm planning on doing an NCR Ranger outfit next year and want to have a well worn NCR flag to go along with it

Take a medium grit sanding block to the edges, spray watered down RIT dye (bright yellow and dark brown) onto the surface, toss into a tumble dryer with no heat for a half hour.

deoju posted:

Could someone recommend me a good metallic gold spray paint and primer? :)

If the Krylon Supermaxx gold is as good as their silver, then I wholeheartedly recommend it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Choom Gangster posted:

So, I have been tasked with replicating this nose from Double Dare. I have sculpting experience, but what materials should I use? I was leaning toward foam, but it needs to be sturdy and "solid" on the exterior.

Y'all know much better than I, can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheap: Papier-mache' over an armature.

Expensive: Carve it from structural foam, then coat in fiberglass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, i'm gonna echo everyone else and say that it needs weathering. Use a spray bottle with some watered down dark brown Rit dye to dirty up the jacket, and get some fuller's earth or light brown/tan dry pigment and rub that poo poo all over everything, then shake off the excess.

edit: do a paint wipe on the leather parts with dark red-brown and black acrylic craft paint, too

edit 2: I forgot to mention that the prosthetics, right hand of doom and pistol look great, and you should totally take some photos in really harsh, directed light so that you can get that proper Mike Mignola pitch-black shadowed artwork look :)

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 20, 2019