Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
user created crude penis drawings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Suspicious Dish posted:

I think it was a poorly executed version of this gag: http://www.p4rgaming.com/daisuke-amaya-interview-if-i-tell-people-to-choke-on-it-then-will-they-play-my-game/

Given The Stanley Parable, the trailers, his blog, and his typical humor, he's not actually serious.

honestly i love the face forward, serious look profile photo he went with, it looks exactly like every other phil fish photo ever taken.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Actually they were specifically bitching about people who had bought their games in bundles or with steam coupons (which were supposedly created against their wishes) who had paid less than a buck for the game but still expected technical support to make the games run

He made such an rear end of himself that the banner saga guy started posting on a couple different sites "email me instead of keep posting publicly"

He wasn't just complaining in a general sense, either, he was personally attacking people who tried to offer any other opinions at all, really. It was pretty entertaining.

Their games are pretty bland and lovely, tho

e: http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1574 "Because you are worthless," an open letter to their customers from someone who wants to make sure I never buy anything from him again, apparently

haha, cool, it's the titan attacks guy. he had a giant meltdown over at the TIGSource forums several years ago over a bogus plagiarism claim. Glad to know he's still imploding in slow motion.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
RPS could have tried to get some information about what went wrong with Godus' management and devlopment, but instead they opted for sneering and high fives. It's a bad interview.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Actually, Peter Molyneux is exactly the same thing as Tim Schafer.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Tim Schafer? You mean John Romero 2.0?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Step aside, Lord British. There's a new overpromising scumbag developer in town, and his name is Tim Schafer.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Litany Unheard posted:

A video from Tim re Broken Age:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnY0TdkXZwI

Includes a defense of everyone's favorite game developer, Mr. Molyneux.

lol, maybe he should defend Phil Fish next.... or better yet, he could start by trying to defend Tim Schafer :xd:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

In what universe is Randy Pitchford anything like Peter Molyneux?

Gearbox doesn't make absurd claims for their games ever, and they've delivered several complete and polished games.

They just recently dropped one bomb, which was really a scheme to steal money from Sega so they could make Borderlands 2 better, which actually worked pretty drat well. (Except for people who bought Aliens)

But failing to live up to the graphics of a trailer isn't loving remotely like Molyneux's insanity.

If you're going to say that, then Sony is Molyneux, EA / Madden is Molyneux, Naughty Dog is Molyneux, 343i is Molyneux, Bungie is Molyneux, etc. etc. etc. etc.
Doesn't work pal.

Pre-rendered trailers are loving commonplace in this industry. That doesn't make you Molyneux.

don't forget tim schafer he's definitely molyneux

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Underhill posted:

Dayuuuum, Slain! looks GOOD!

thanks to hyper light drifter artists dont want to put borders around their sprites anymore, so theres millions of these projects with super detailed sprites that wash into the super detailed backgrounds so that everything is an invisible mash of pixels. how does anybody think this is a good idea?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

MikeJF posted:

What successful completed low-budget video game kickstarters have there been?

Full Bore kickstarted at 16k and was one of my favorite games from last year.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cicero posted:

A sandbox MMO in a from-scratch engine that caters to multiple completely different playstyles, including allowing users to make their own stuff, even their own game rules (?), for 200k? This sounds hopelessly overoptimistic.
that's including one million already provided by investors, but the pitch admits that there already isn't enough money to pay most of the team, which would be setting off alarm bells even if they weren't trying to host an mmo without publisher assistance

my god, the pixel art in the pitch is beautiful, and i would look forward to it as a single player exploration or building game, but if you can't even pay salary then there's no loving way you'll be able to pony up for mmo-load server hosting when the time comes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Telex posted:

It's just a way of making a unique ID for every item and transaction that item is involved in without reinventing the wheel.

Anyone complaining about using that for doing non-monetary transactions basically has absolutely no idea what they're talking about and it's amusing to watch.

blockchain technology IS reinventing the wheel. there are already methods for tracking transactions and IDs that don't require every user to possess the entirety of every id and transaction ever made. gimme a break

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
any conceivable benefit of the programmable gameboy thing needs to be weighed against the fact that all hardware kickstarters are doomed to failure

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Only 51 hours to go though, I really hope they make it (though going by most kickstarters, they should). I guess everyone's saving money for the Bard's Tale kickstarter out in a few days.

you should fund the rest of the money they need.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Furries, at least the older ones, have a long history of sitting on a whole lot of money and a whole lot less sense. Prior to sites like Furaffinity and Deviantart popping up, artists could make some serious dough adding a handful of 'tribal' elements (for the Werewolf: the Otherkin fanatics) to a piece and making the subject a lynx woman or whatever.

furry commissions are still the most lucrative money to be made as a freelance artist

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Kinda funny how Iga ran the slickest, most PRiest campaign ever to get his $5.5M and then a week later Shenmue is topping it with one which looks like it was done by a first time hobbyist with a $10,000 goal; it's nearly a day on and they haven't even made an update acknowledging their insane success or pushing their stretch goals

Anyways, it's not something I'm interested in but it's good to see another cult fandom getting some closure to their thing :3:

getting plugged by e3 is the only reason for their success.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think the recent wave of super tall pixel sprites with spindly stick legs and no border is weird and dumb but i respect everybody's right to their idiiot fuckhead opinions

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Finally, another game in the Dodge/Burn-punk art style to join the Deadly Rooms of Death series.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the crab is cool because its always the only example used and apparently in forty years of pixel art theres only ever been one good sprite

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

codo27 posted:

I was going to ask if there has actually been anything good come out after Road Redemption, Shadowgate and Carmageddon all leaving at least something to be desired. But then I seen Volgarr in the OP which is good. But then I seen Ouya in the OP....

Full Bore was kickstarted at something like 12,000 dollars and is seriously fantastic. I expect that It was a passion or side project for the developers, which would explain the low funding requirement (just going for enough money to maybe commission some good music or license a game engine rather than needing to pay an entire team salary). Still, it's one of the most satisfying tile-based puzzle games I've ever played, and the art and music is wonderful.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
you ever thought about what it would be like if your legs were one pixel wide? you wouldnt even be able to stand. theyd be useless atrophied little sticks of poo poo. its a farce

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
o
/O\
| |
please donate to my kickstarter

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Great Rumbler posted:

Don't worry, it'll soon go back to talking about the most important issue in videogames: pixel legs.

:w00t:

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i've enjoyed all of Zeboyd's past games and im a massive sucker for phantasy star 4 aesthetic so backing cosmic star heroine was worth it. im looking forward to its release, even though it won't hold a candle to undertale

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Wow! A seamless procedurally generated open-world space simulator! Golly!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
so thecoach, was star citizen's effigy really not enough warning for you or are you just addicted to throwing money into tire fires

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
kickstarter games with fully networked multiplayer are scams. kickstarter games with couch coop multiplayer are only very likely to be scams

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Has there been a multiplayer kickstarter game that has managed to sustain a decent population for more than a couple weeks? I mean there could be some but most of my nostalgia is related to being a shut-in loser when I played these games so I give them money based purely on the single player experience I remember. Even if Descent Underground was presented as a completely vanilla multiplayer experience from 1995 (arena, no unlocks, no ranks, etc) I still wouldn't have backed it because that's not what I played in Descent.

Edit: Elite Dangerous I guess? Even though that's not technically the multiplayer most people mean when they say it.

the issue isn't player retention, it's the difficulty of networking code. multiplayer is typically offered as a stretch goal only 10-100k over the previous incentive, which is biting off more than any brand new developer or established-but-low-budget team can chew. if its being offered, then the team lead is too inexperienced with game development finance to be trusted with your money

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
nicalis has a long track record of hindering development and introducing massive bugs into ports, when they don't simply erase a game entirely like they tried to do with la mulana. the only reason the west ever saw that remake was playism stepping in with a miraculous eleventh hour intervention that salvaged the game, and that was with them putting together their own translation in about a tenth the time nicalis had invested into it before trying to pull the plug

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
binding of isaac rebirth released on pc, ps4, and playstation vita. the expansion pack afterbirth has only released on pc, because nicalis did the console ports and made such a catastrophic mess of optimizing them that the expansion pack can't run on either platform. it has now been seven months since the expansion pack released, and it seems safe to say that, as with all other times nicalis has been confronted with their failures as human beings, they've decided to give up and fleece someone else instead

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
cave story's major nicalis release disaster was audio bugs that caused the new remix album, composed specially for the remake, to be unusable. the only workaround was to switch back to the original music set

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

It's just kind of amazing that a game like cave story was entirely coded by one person that began in the late 90's and released real polished for free, while a whole studio made some real irritating mistakes. Though maybe that's more of a statement on Pixel's talents than Nifflas' competence. Has Pixel done anything since Cave Story, btw?

nifflas is different from nicalis, the former has done some fun exploration games, most notably the knytt series

if you want a more recent big metroidvania game made by one person, you should check out environmental station alpha

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
close. it's missing the ring

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
its good stuff, although i wish they had gone more for the phantasy star style of overlaid comic panels for cut scenes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
looks like the delay in this month's backer update for Bloodstained was due to them preparing a video demo, and some more level assets: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night/posts/1592543

those backgrounds look really good

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

I thought it wasn't just a video demo but a playable demo for E3, that would be available for people at the $60 level.

I am not sure if I want to shell out an extra $30, but I think that is pretty cool.

i more meant that they were probably late for this update because they were preparing the video that came with it. if they were only going to announce the playable e3 demo, they could have done that on june 1st

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Toxxupation posted:

I'm trying to think of a single creator who so thoroughly and completely pissed away and hosed over their goodwill in such a short length of time and I'm coming up short.

i think john romero is still the esteemed winner of that category

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Reason posted:

Has anyone here been satisfied with something they kickstarted? I haven't. To be fair I have only kickstarted six or so things, but none of them turned out near the hype. Biggest disappointments(that at least released something) so far for me are probably Torment and Planetary Annihilation.

i backed cosmic star heroine so i guess i'll have an answer for you in a few months