Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In couple of weeks there will be another Witcher book by Sapkowski. It seems it will be more in line of first books with stories, and it's likely they'll take place before the end of last book.
I've decided to replay Witcher 2 since I've got a new gfx, and drat, I forgot how unforgiving some encounters can be. Everyone remembers drat dragon, but I usually get first sudden "poo poo, savegame was an hour ago" death in the forest near first city, being jumped by a bunch of nekkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

CD Projekt Red doesn't care about following the books to the letter, so it's really possible. They could even keep with the ending of last book, and this could mean Gerald could meet (book spoiler) knights of the Round Table.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

InvisibleHand posted:

So I didn't see any mention of this in the last couple of pages but Andrzej Sapkowski recently released a new Witcher book Sezon Burz (Season of Storms). The events in it take place before Blood of Elves but the book itself isn't specifically a prequel to the original saga. Its only out in Polish and I believe Czech but if you're fluent and interested its worth checking out.

Check previous page :smuggo:
How much of a cashgrab the book seems? Sapkowski swore that he's finished with story a couple of years ago. Guess after bad reception of his Hussite trilogy he had to find something safe to write.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I agree with your points. I'm now on my second playthrough, after losing a save to hdd failure. This time I wanted to try Iorweth's path, but the way Roche's character is constructed.. I just couldn't! I really hope next game doesn't look too closely at Skyrim when constructing characters.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

e: ^^^^ your guide is waay better than my ramblings.
I found it easiest to concentrate on quen + swordplay at first. You get your shield up, when it times out or you're struck just retreat and cast again. I also started with roll as my defensive technique. Quen-strike-roll-strike-roll, etc. Never let enemies corner or surround you and you'll be fine. Add block when fighting 1-on-1 heavy enemies, use silver sword on monsters, regular on human. Craft/buy potions that help with in-fight hp regen.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think it means regions differ significantly, so you get swamps, forests, snow-covered mountains etc.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Locations chat: Nilfgaard alone offers shitton of different styles - Empire looks a bit like Holy Roman Empire with more distinct countries directly or indirectly ruled by the Emperor. Some countries seem celtic (with names like Cahir Mawr Dyffryn aep Ceallach), but Sapkowski haven't really described them in great detail. I guess it gives even more freedom for CDP Red. Unless they consider Cintra Nilfgaard now.
I should also finish W2 already, I consider it a really good game, I even enjoy crafting stuff yet I've lately spend more time on worse games.. Guess it's a matter of losing 2 saves, end of act 1 and end of act 2.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Aurubin posted:

Since the wikis are a mess, can anyone summarize what role The Wild Hunt had in the books? Apparently they were actually in the original prose? I read a bunch, but rather than try and regurgitate a poorly written wiki article, anyone with knowledge of the books and stories care to give me their take?

I've read them a while ago, so it'd be better if someone checked it:
(major book and W3 spoiler) Wild hunt are elven slave seeking expeditions from another world. They use some kind of magic/technology that makes people follow the hunt and makes people unable to resist them. After that captives are transported to a world where Elves rule. Humans are only servants/manual labourers. Supposedly time progresses differently there, so people who spend couple of decades in elven world could end up missing centuries in the regular one. Pure elves have few children, require ages to mature and elven women have few fertile times, that's the reason for getting human servants. Those elves are of course also massive assholes, also King of the Hunt couldn't "get it up" in bed with Ciri

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I honestly wouldn't mind getting not feature complete beta through GOG in second part of the year. I'd reserve second playthrough for "extended director's cut" version after couple months.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I see no downsides: you get title with flaws to fix, and a person that gets it at official release has mature patched and balanced product.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

funakupo posted:

There is another short story of Geralt (Spellmaker) translated into English in the book A Polish Book of Monsters , translated by Michael Kandel. I really enjoyed the whole book of stories actually, so if you are eager to read anything Geralt in English, grab that.

I've checked that compilation, and the authors are pretty great. I've read only The Iron General' (org. 'Ruch generala') by Jacek Dukaj, but Marek Huberath and Tomasz Kolodziejczak are solid writers. Jacek Dukaj is pretty much polish hard sci-fi superstar, I'd put him on par with Neal Stephenson or Iain Banks. I'd give my left nut to see HBO put Xavras Wyzryn on screen as miniseries..

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I thought Skyrim got an unfair amount of grief for its dungeons - they're composed of a limited number of tile sets, sure, but they're all excellent tilesets and every dungeon has something unique about it and they all had distinctive qualities.

I remember a neat ice one where little firefly spirits started following me round for no apparent reason.

I liked Skyrim dungeons, but I've also liked swamp area in W1. It might be because in my whole life I've played only 2 MMORPGs, both times for a couple of months, therefore I've never developed deep hatred for "collect 15 bear assholes" missions.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked Skyrim's dungeons overall, but they were generally a bit too linear and samey. It was impossible to get lost in them, and they all had that "fight the boss and then suddenly an exit appears out of nowhere" dynamic. It's too predictable and formulaic, though they obviously did the best they could considering the size of that game.

I've liked how it streamlines gameplay. Getting lost in some horrible dungeon and having do scavenge and plan ahead is fun, but not in 100+ hours game.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

How long should I give the game before I decide whether it's right for me? The first time I tried, I made it to very early in chapter 1 before hitting the "can't carry anymore and no hints as to what you should be carrying", now I am trying again but it's just not grabbing me even though it's basically still the prologue.

It might be simply not for you. I've played some acclaimed games, which logically I know are awesome, but they have no pull for me. For example: I turn off Bastion after an hour and end up increasing my ~400h play time in unmodded Empire:Total War.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There's a Witcher 2 beta for SteamOS, so it should also run on any linux. Also Witcher 2 is 80% off, so if someone wants to check it 4 euro is as low as it'd get anytime soon.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Trailer was awesome!
I'll probably get a collector's edition, assuming it's not prohibitively expensive.
Also: 'sup Warsaw goons

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

The deformed dwarf in Geralt's horse?

I read the books time ago, is he from the books or an original character?

Holy poo poo, I've tried to spot something, went second by second in that part with dark forest, and I've missed that... I'd be funny if that's doppler Tellico Lunngrevink Letorte.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

I'm kind of hoping that after TW3 comes out they go back and redo the first game to the standards of the other two. It's such a hard game to get back into after playing TW2. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the devs now. :allears:

Is it Vesemir?

I hope for some other IP, honestly. I'd rather wait another 5-10 years and have them redo whole trilogy on one engine.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Yeah, the one I'm talking about is the "deformed dwarf" riding w/ Geralt. I can't say anything about that character, but I noticed that no one seemed to have spotted him yet.

I did, and my guess it's a dopler.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

They should keep the trend and make a game about Mordimer Madderdin, which would be even less accessible to most people, because author (Jacek Piekara) is right-wing, misogynistic and crazy as gently caress and is unlikely to have any of his books translated.
Short description of book world: Christ died on a cross, but then a demon entered his body, left cross, massacred most of Jerusalem and set himself up as an emperor. Fast forward 1500ish years, action takes place in ultra-theocratic Holy Roman Empire, inquisitors are doing their stuff Torquemada style, but many of them also have some limited magical powers (more like rituals).
One of covers

Serious answer: I think they should just make their own world for other projects, or use Witcher's world but in different time/place. Maybe a game about advent of gunpowder with character from some other background, where witchers are distant memory.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've rewatched the trailer for the n-th time and I've got to commend CDP Red for the realistic portrayal of weapons, but for some reason Wild Hunt uses really impractical swords and armour. Is it some kind of elven fashion to take weirdo swords to combat? Maybe they got to rely on magic for so much they've stopped caring about having the bast weapons possible.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

The difference is that GoT is utter garbage.

Witcher books also have some low points, and Sapkowski has it easier because he needs to keep the story consistent for only 2 characters. Sapkowski also had problems with many timelines, so he used some cheap tricks Yennefer ending up in some loving crystal. Seeing you here, could I kindly ask you to finish that WitP LP:japan:?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

theDOWmustflow posted:

Is the Wild Hunt a fallible mortal force? I've never read the books but the impression I got from the games is that they're akin to mythological wardens or reapers of dead souls, in which case they can wear and wield whatever the gently caress they want.

However I much prefer fantasy that keeps it real in terms of arms and armaments, which is why I'm partial to low fantasy. I don't know if the Witcher counts as low fantasy but the gritty and grim tone seems close enough. I hope the Witcher 3 goes back to simpler muted aesthetics of the Witcher 1, e.g.:

Wild Hunt consist of elves in funny armour (rarely) or more often elven manifestations that scare the poo poo of anyone exposed to their sight. I guess Wild Hunt dudes could arm themselves with whatever they think will look cool, but it's inconsistent with rest of the world. It may be that's the point, theatrics of having weirdly designed impractical swords.

I can't blame Foltest for wearing his stuff, he's a king on an campaign. I'd guess that given his campaign is part of civil war having colorful clothes help keep his image. He spends quite some time keeping the morale of his soldiers up, so he knows the value of theatrics.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I don't see any way to split factions present in world of Witcher into 2-3 sides. What could work is TES-like open world with character creator and some multiplayer features. I've never played Morrowind, but from what I've gathered we'd need similar system where once you're liked Mahakam then any Scoia'tael group will act friendlier than usual. On the other hand any of militias and orders hating dwarves would hate you too. So important faction choices would mean that on any playthrough I'm bound to see only 60% of availablem content, or even less if I'd go "gently caress the noise" and only hunt monsters.

If W3 does shitton of money I can see CDPR doing another project with same setting and engine, but with post-Geralt storyline.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Some loving bastards enterprising fellows bought W3 collector's edidion only to put it on internet auction sites with 100% markup. Supposedly there's no plans for making more of them available so it's either scalpers or regular.
e: the only one I can find with sane price is XBone, I'm tempted to get it despite not having that console :shepspends:

alex314 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 9, 2014

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's a board game:

CDP Red webpage posted:

The Witcher Adventure Game takes players on a journey across the world of the Witcher as they assume the roles of four distinct characters known from the books and video games: Geralt of Rivia, monster slayer; Triss Merigold, cunning sorceress; Yarpen Zigrin, dwarven warrior; and Dandelion, roguish bard. Each character has unique skills and multiple ways of overcoming obstacles - the choice is yours: do you fight your way to victory, call on your charm or try your hand at diplomacy? It's the true spirit of board gaming brought straight to your computer screen. Set in the mature and brutal world of The Witcher the game features 4 unique heroes with different skills and approaches to problem solving. With clear, simple rules and intuitive mechanics, tons of quest cards allow players to tell a new tale every time they play. Look adventure in the eye in a world you'll fall in love with!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Roche is straight only romance option, so you need either: dlc pack or Amazon preorder bonus that will change Geralt's gender.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

"It's the wild hunt, you've got to hunt things"
:eng99:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Not sure, but probably.

Best bet on swag is the collector's edition. Pre-order more, I need a vacation (after we ship).

http://buy.thewitcher.com/

What kind of bribe would you accept to put me on preorder list for polish collector's edition for PC? :)

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Khazar-khum posted:

IS there anywhere we can buy Witcher gear,m like shirts/posters etc?

I saw stuff like that:
http://puzzle.cdp.pl/produkt/puzzle-1500-wiedzmin-2-triss
http://www.ebay.pl/itm/WITCHER-2-JIGSAW-PUZZLES-1500-PIECES-LIMITED-EDITION-85x58-TRISS-MERIGOLD-/321374958488
Those are jigsaw puzzle + poster sets.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Witcher story based on books is relatively easy to put on tv screen: you start with short, mostly contained stories, and if you get popular enough you can start Nilfgaardian invasion arc with Ciri. Sapkowski is alive and well, so there's no problem with adding more stories as your series goes.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Gameplay footage looks amazing, especially for a console version.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The hole near hilt of sword is pretty stupid. It doesn't look like a practical way of trapping enemy's blade.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Vilgefortz was young and very handsome, with imposing presence. Since magic users can shape their looks it may be that many males want to radiate aura of wisdom gathered by ages, while women prefer being seen as unnaturally beautiful. As saying goes "what's the difference between a sorceress and a witch? About 40 years"

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Eastern European game development being a gently caress ton cheaper than the western equivalent probably has something to do with it. :v:

I don't think that's the only reason. If that would be the case they wouldn't be able to afford expats. Hardware and software costs are identical, maybe location and other services are cheaper, but it's likely half of what Ubisoft France has to pay rather than 1/10th.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Jose Teixeira, CD Projekt RED‘s Visual Effects Artist posted:

Ideally, we’re pushing for 30 frames per second. The resolution, honestly, it depends; we’re working on it, we’re trying to get it as high as possible. If we can make it at 1080P, sure, but I don’t know if it’s going to make it. To be honest, I really don’t know. Probably not. But for sure, we need it to run at a smooth frame rate, so at least 30 FPS.
We’re doing optimization right now and I have to say, it’s actually running quite well. To be honest, we were expecting a lot worse. When we first started playing on PS4 and XB1, we expected the game not to work at all, because it was so heavy, so we were expeciting it to crash, but it’s actually running. It’s not quite there yet, but it’s running. So I think that with a little more optimization, I think we’ll get it running really well.

Given choice I'd pick smooth game over higher res, I just hope my PC (i7-920, HD7970) will be up to task of getting at least consoles level of details in full HD.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

There was a rumor about GeForce GTX 770, 780, and Titan, but Nvidia spokesperson said it isn't planned.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I agree. Dragon Age 3 has Keep app/webpage that allows you do just that, if previous entries matter in Wild Hunt storyline CDP should also give us that possibility.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Platige films will do a full length Witcher movie, supposedly with live actors, instead of all CGI. They did some awesome CGI work: http://www.platige.com/pl/cinematic/
let's hope they are up to challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Am I the only one that would prefer they just did it all CGI?

Supposedly their rationale for doing live action is that when people think about CGI movies they think about Pixar, and they want to do a story about killing monsters, sex and inapropriate behaviour.

• Locked thread