Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Guess I should get round to finishing the Witcher 1 sometime soon. I really enjoyed the Wizard & Glass feel of the first chapter (and will make Stephen King references everytime I talk about this game because it makes me feel well-read dammit), but hit a massive massive wall once I got to Vizima. Did most of it with a walkthrough in hand because I had no idea where to go or how to figure it out. I opened the tower in the swamp, got stuck at the boss and gave up.

Are there any mods that are useful for smoothing out the edges and fixing the stupendously large skill trees in that game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I'm up to chapter 3 in the first game, does the combat start being anything other than an absolute abomination? Dodging does nothing, you can't block, enemies recover from being hit faster than you recover from hitting them, every single encounter is loving torture. Even on the lowest difficulty (well, casual from ECR, which I think is lower than the base games casual) enemies just swarm you, pin you in the corner and stomp on your face.

The encounter design is horrendous too. Lets start a boss fight by setting you on fire with an automatic stun. Lets make you enter a room and be pinned against a desk. Lets fight in such a small space that you can't even draw your loving sword before getting attacked. And lets take away your ability to do a mostly-useless dodge until you get your sword out.

There's a fight in Chapter 3 of Assassin's of Kings which starts with a crossbow bolt in flight, aimed at the back of your head. You need to dodge BEFORE the cutscene ends. Somehow that's still less bullshit than this game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

The hell? Dodging is incredibly useful, and stunlocking people is really easy. Are you actually getting off combos, or just madly clicking? And do you have points in the appropriate weapon skill? Fighting fast enemies with strong style is going to be terrible, yes. Alternatively, put all your points into Igni and just burn everything without a problem.

Yes I'm getting the combos. Which requires me to stand still for ages while Geralt finishes his overly long attack animation, so I get hit by both the guy I'm attacking and his friends. I've pumped group style which helps keep people scared, but half the time they just walk through my swings and surround me.

I've yet to actually dodge an attack. It's like fatrolling in Dark Souls, enemies pivot faster than you dodge. If you dodge towards someone Geralt does a backflip over them, and they then stab him in the back. That's the opposite of dodging.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

I think the problem might be using the FCR mod on your first playthrough. It really seems like something that's designed more for people who have already played the game than newcomers. This isn't the first time I've seen someone complain about how frustrating the combat is having only played it with FCR.

Well I found the normal combat pretty painful to begin with, which is why I installed FCR in the hope it changed things to make some kind of sense. When it made things even worse I slammed it down to casual mode. Stuck with FCR though as it claims to reduce the number of monsters.

The main problem is that there is absolutely no rhythm to the combat. The combo system encourages you to stand in place, letting the enemies surround you and completely ignoring any pattern they have to their attacks. What patterns they do have don't seem to make any sense, I've had solo-enemies damage me in the middle of my combo without making any attack movements. They'll be flinching back from my hit and OH WHOOPS I'm stunned/in pain. Gets even worse when you have mages randomly setting you on fire (undodgable and unblockable of course) and then summoning Ifrits so you need to spend precious time switching weapons.

Plot's pretty good though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

isk posted:

*edit - disregard, talking about the first game.

I'm imaging a giant expletive filled rant about my stupidity here. "What do you mean you can't dodge? Level it up then you bell-end!" and I can't stop giggling.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

I think I compromised my imagined Geralt's moral integrity when I let (ending spoiler) ----Sile---- die, but I just couldn't let her go on living after what she just done and said. It was really easy to just stand idly and tell yourself it's not really your fault, but absence of action is not absence of decision, or something like that.

I can just about justify letting them die. It's like the conversation with Abigail in the first game:
:witch: "Two swords right? Steel one kills people, silver one kills monsters"
:clint: "No. They both kill monsters"

I played both games as Geralt finding a new role for Witchers in the world by redefining what he considers monsters. Witchers fight evil, in whatever form it comes in. The vampire brothel and werewolf in the first game aren't evil, so killing them isn't your job. But bandits, drug dealers and slavers definitely are, even if they're human.

It's why I chose not to kill Letho at the end. All his actions had a justification behind them, even if it was opposed to Geralt. But Sile, Loredo, that sorcerer dude were irredeemably unpleasant and had to be stopped. The world's better off without them.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

In honor of the wait time for W3 I've decided to go ahead and tackle Dark Mode!
Holy poo poo, holy poo poo. It's insane. There were parts in the prologue that kicked my rear end completely. Then when I got to the swamp I elected to start working on getting the special armor. Eventually I ended up in the Nekker caves (a part that gave me hell in my normal play through) and quickly discovered the glory of the magic sign that takes a hit for you.
Any tips for picking up hardened leather and stuff for the special armor?

Quen is stupidly powerful, even without the damage transfer. In the non-EE i think it took three hits, which is insane. My basic approach is cojstantly darting in and out of combat to reQuen so i can be comfortable getting a few combos in. Its not the most varied method but its effective, and i like the rhythm of it

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

That's pretty much what I'm doing. And constantly testing where the enemy's patching stops so I can chill out at the edge for a second and go in for the back stab. My biggest issue are humans with shields who seem to constantly deflect my blows. Also, is there any set in the Mage tree that increases the blows quen takes?

Yrden is okay for sheilds, Aarr if you get lucky. Traps are best. . One of my favourite fights in the game is the one to open the gate for Foltest in the prologue. 3 normal soldiers, one shield guy,one knight. Each needs a different approach, throw em together and it becomes a n8ghtmare trying to juggle them all. I ended up using aard and samum to stun the basic mooks for a finisher, lure the shield guy over a conflagration, leaving me free to yrden-lock the knight. Felt like a boss

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SpRahl posted:

Tattoo import or bust.

Equipment too :colbert:

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mickey McKey posted:

Is....is that the nose from the harpy guy?

Yes. Yes it is. The stats on it aint too great though

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Why does Iorveth help Letho anyway? I can see why he'd want Demavend dead, but wasn't Foltest pretty good in terms of non-human rights? I don't remember them every explaining what he got out of it , other than another dead d'hoine.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh yeah, that makes sense. I kind of associated Iorveth's elven state just with Lormark/Upper Aedern and less with the Pontar. Also Foltest tied with Radovid for being the only decent king in the North, so it's just sad that he had to bite it for Iorveth's dreams to come true fail miserably.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I found the torch useful for stun-locking the heavily armoured dudes later on. But that's about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Randomzx posted:

The thing about Yrden is that strong type enemies have higher resistance ratio to Yrden stun. BUT, their resistance drops greatly if they step on Yrden during their attack animation. So basically, you should be close enough to the enemy to provoke them into performing their attack, but that they'll be stepping into the trap in the animation. First time fight against Letho really becomes a joke when you could chain backstab him to death.

That fight becomes a lot easier if you abandon the careful dodgy/Quen approach and realise that there's a reason Witchers are known for being crazed psychos. If you just throw yourself at him you can pin him in a corner with constant Aards and strong attacks.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

fuckpot posted:

It says Witcher 2 down the bottom corner.

Right next to where it says RedKit

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tornhelm posted:

I honestly cant wait to see what comes out of RedKit. Sure most of it will be dross, but at least it'll be pretty dross. From what they've been saying it looks like (as long as you can get someone decent to write for it) you can make a pretty full featured RPG from their tool.

That's a bloody big assumption there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tornhelm posted:

I dunno, the list of features just on the RedKit page has more than enough potential to justify my hopes.

I'm putting on a facade of nexus-inspired cynicism to cover up the fact that I am fizzing with excitement for this poo poo. This looks to be the most comprehensive modding tool since NWN.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Leb posted:

Oh, look. Patch 3.4 just dropped and it adds support for.. REDKITTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Which is now occasionally available at http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/

ed: not out officially until tomorrow

In the meantime, here are some screenshots from the first mod to surface:

Goddamit. I dont have access to my desktop for at least 6 weeks, and quite possibly until September. Guess my overambitious 100 hour adult fantasy magnum opus wont see the light of day.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GoldenNugget posted:

you may want to use spoiler tags for that.

As for Yennefer, she wasn't in the first game at all. The Hunt is also not that prominent in the first game. Aspects of it pop up here and there but it's mostly a separate plot. Yennefer appears more in the books but I haven't gotten to the point in the books where the flashbacks of the second game are mentioned. I've read The Last Wish, Sword of Destiny, and The Blood of Elves. The game hasn't included (book spoilers) Ciri but that character appears to be a major character in #3.

The flashbacks don't occur in the books. The books end with the Rivian Pogrom and Geralt's apparent death. All the Wild Hunt stuff happens in the ~6 months between that and the first game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mickey McKey posted:

Question about this, spoilers just to be safe.
The Rivian Pogrom is when non-humans there start getting mass-murdered but then Geralt stands up for some non-humans, gets pitchforked and dies, then he gets revived somehow, the wild hunt stuff happens, then Witcher 1 with Geralt running from wtf with no memories right at the beginning?

Yeah, my understanding from the flashbacks is 1265 the war with Nilfgaard ends. September 1268 Geralt takes a pitchfork to the heart in Rivia. Yennefer heals him, and they go to the Isle of Avalach to recover. The Wild Hunt carries off Yennefer, and Geralt chases them halfway across the world. He teams up with Letho, Serrit and Auckes, in 1270 and they confront the hunt, Geralt trading his soul for hers. He escapes them, losing his memory in the process, and Witcher 1 starts with him fleeing them. Witcher 2 is in 1271, and the first game takes place over a couple of months, so he can't have been with the hunt long.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Khazar-khum posted:

The big problem with the books is that they really aren't about Geralt. He's barely in most of them, and until the fifth one he doesn't really do anything. Most of the books focus on Ciri. That's fine, but don't call the books the 'Witcher Saga' when he's not the center of the plot.

Yennefer is a neurotic, insecure, emotional wreck. She desperately wants Geralt's daughter, but since they are both sterile that is impossible. By the fifth book she's come to realize that she wants to be with Geralt. She's been staying away and pushing him away because, like most basket cases, she doesn't really think she deserves him.

Yennefer is a very complex character.

Does the ending of The Last Wish have something to do with it? Maybe it was just the translation, but I had very little idea what was going on. So Geralt's wishes were 1. Go gently caress yourself 2.Explode this guy, and are we meant to be able to figure out 3? I got the impression it was something to with their relationship, like "be together forever" as a kind of loophole to stop the genie killing them both.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Goddammit I have done two and three half playthroughs of this game, and NOW they awesomeify the combat?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ZearothK posted:

I think I remember they said in an interview with RPS that this would be the end of the Geralt story, but that they may be inclined to explore the setting with another character in the future.

On that note, have they said anything about Tedd Dereid? Given how much the first game revolved around the upcoming End Times it would be weird not to return to it. But to have thate AND Yennefer AND Cirri AND the wild hunt AND nilfgaard is an awful lot of plot for one gamr

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Bros for life!

What happens to Roche if you take Iorveth's path? He just kind of disappears. It's a shame, as his three endings to his path are each fantastically bittersweet.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oh my god where is my Quen what happened here this makes me so sad

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Any good reviews of the combat mod yet?

Also, wasn't there a huge combat mod by the same guy for Witcher 1? How was that? Did it remove the god awful rhythm clicking system and give the game a proper combat system finally?

General thoughts: New skill tree doesn't seem to work in arena, and isn't accessible in the prologue, so I can't judge yet.
Aard and Igni are always AoE/cone, which makes them much useful at lower levels (although the lack of a projectile in the animation is weird)
The pirouette only works intermittently.
Active Quen is pretty cool, but does occasionally bother the AI - if they see you do it they tend to not attack, and sometimes just stand there like lemons when you stop Quenning
The reduced bounce when they parry you is nice, you can properly start waling on one guy if he's backed into a corner.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Deadlink posted:

"worked" for me too, but with lightning fast download speeds of 0.1 and a time remaining of 3 years ... yeah, I think I'll wait :(

so, it's best to start a new game with the patch, right?

Oh yeah, I think mine may have wiped my saves. So yes, new game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Will probably start a new game this weekend on dark mode once the patch comes out. There was a good number of bugs along the way including some potions being impossible to make and a major character having no head.

Was it Foltest? Thats actually a plot point

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I kept hearing about, before the end of Act 1, that you could drink with all of your mates. I tried at all different times throughout all of Act to try and drink with everyone and I couldn't. What did I do wrong? I tried it throughout the day, morning, afternoon and after midnight.

It's with the Blue Stripes, building to the left of the Inn I think.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ryen Deckard posted:

I just picked up The Witcher 1 and 2, and hooo boy I just got to act 1 and I am already having trouble with how clunky the game plays. Are there any mods that help out with this, or should I just jump to 2 and give that a shot?

To clarify, I'll click an enemy multiple times and nothing will happen, trying to move is a chore in both movement modes, and it seems like sometimes my inputs are just flat out ignored. I like the game world, but I can't keep playing this.

I don't know if I'm fully patched up or not, I just downloaded the game through GOG before anybody asks.

Crank the difficulty down to minimum, max out Igni and just enjoy the story. Then move onto 2, crank it up to Hard/Dark and enjoy an actual robust and interesting combat system.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fiddling with the RedKit made me realise how staggeringly good the art direction is in this game.

It also made me realise how WEIRD the art direction is in this game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

DoctorTristan posted:

... is that an enormous dong in the background?

It's actually a wooden dildo, you see giant ones during a vision quest on Roche's path.

They're also used as tent poles for the prostitute's tent.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WASDF posted:

Oh, I meant to say I use Signs and potions, but I have no potions or bombs right now.

If you get a good Aard on him and back him in the corner you can get a ridiculous number of quick attacks in before he recovers. Whenever he doesn't have Quen up get right in his face with Aards, Ignis and sword hits. I found bombs aren't much good against him, they take too long to throw.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Its okay to be disappointed that your choices dont carry over, but you are kind of overreacting. I wouldn't call it hamfisted

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Cirofren posted:

There is one woman* in the entire game that isn't at least one of: a prostitute, gets naked, needs saving by our hero, may sleep with our hero, or is raped. Most get two. It's better than the original Witcher but you can't claim it isn't sexist. The real world's sexism has little to do with technological development and either way this is a fantasy game where the majority of women you meet** are prostitutes and the rest still get their tits out.

On the other hand, virtually every female character has a significant level of agency, the women who need saving need saving for reasons that are entirely outside their relationship with the main character, a significant amount of time is devoted to how lovely certain patriarchal areas of life are for women, and (this is something that no video game EVER has done) it naturalises and normalises the female sex drive.

I'd say it does pretty well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I really like how the books actually made a big deal out of how poor communication is in a medieval type setting. Ice and Fire has ravens that act like faxes, but the Witcher is a great twisted knot of guesses, misinformation, unsubstantiated rumours. At times it makes following along a right pain (am I supposed to know this bit? is this true? was that meant to be a twist?) but it gives the books such a great feel.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WASDF posted:

Am going through Act 3 Iorveth right now and I had to make a decision early on that I felt I couldn't rightfully make:

In Iorveth's Act 3 after the business in the dungeon with Philippa and a spoon and some Nilfgaard you get the choice to either save Triss or Saskia. I honestly couldn't really come up with a decision I was happy with. It wasn't because of like "No!! I love Triss, but Saskia is so important!!" but rather "Uh.. Triss is my girlfriend but I guess really not that important and Saskia is cool and all but I don't really see why she is so important." Did I miss some sort of thing that made Saskia the final puzzle piece in some sort of situation that is almost ready to fall a part? After the battle of Aedeirn, all I see here doing is being a politician.

So yeah. I'm not sure if it really felt like a FINAL DECISION, DON'T gently caress THIS UP, OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD

That's kind of the point. Geralt isn't supposed to be making those decisions, they conflict pretty heavily with the Witcher's Code. But the code straight up doesn't work, because choosing not to get involved is just as much a decision as getting involved. Also Saskia is the charismatic leader of a popular uprising that's pretty much being held together just by her force of will. She's also a dragon. She's kind of important. It's brain-on-a-train, Geralt has to make a political decision. The choice is to openly break your code and save Saskia, or save Triss and ignore the hypocrisy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ha! That's even better. I figured it was just Geralt was much more philosophical about it than Berengar or Letho. Where did the rule about not taking contracts on people come from?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lycus posted:

I don't know how well they thought out this scene. It doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever on some playthoughs. Such as on Iorveth's Path if Iorveth is captured.

Wait how does that happen? I thought if you dont free him in the fight he gets captured and his path is blocked off to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

smuh posted:

I'm playing the game a second time through on the 360, and it's a pretty drat good game, but I have a question about Roche's path: (sorry if this has been answered already) The assassins that tried to kill Henselt. If I did the Iorveth path instead (like I did the first time through), how the hell did Henselt survive that? Sile wasn't nearly quick enough that she could have saved him, and all of the guards around the camp were dead. I don't really see any reason why Henselt was alive to the end when playing Iorveth's side. Is this a plot hole of some kind, or am I just being stupid?

What I think is Serrit and Auckes are with the Scoatael Scoital rest of Iorveth's men. If he accompanies you he warns them before they Kingslayers can do anything (and these are the dudes that he brings to Vergen). If not, Iorveth is late getting to Vergen and the Kingslayers give em the slip

Alternative: Magic-canon. Don't worry about perfect casaulity. Think of each playthrough as a bunch of characters and plots put in a bag and shaken vigorously.

• Locked thread