Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Herp derp. It's probably because it defaults to 1080p and my tv only does 720p. Need to figure out how to set it up and hook it back up.

It should default to "Auto" if I recall, but you're right. Try setting it to 720p on the LG and then trying the Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

markerstore posted:

I've had that happen before too, and a reboot did the trick. No idea why though.

It's a fairly common issue. Seems to be network related.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3829173?start=0&tstart=0

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Bucket Joneses posted:

Question Regarding AirPlay Mirroring:

If I'm using XBMC on my jailbroken ATV2 and I want to use mirroring, do I need to shut down XBMC and enable the built-in Airplay service on the ATV? I need to play Carcassonne on my tv.

Current builds of XBMC for ATV support AirPlay.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Modern Pragmatist posted:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=AirPlay#advancedsettings.xml

Based on the wiki, mirroring is not yet supported. You can however, have it function for audio and video.

Whoops I saw "AirPlay" and ignored "mirroring" :(

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

Nobody here is talking about Hulu Plus magically appearing on our ATV's over the last few days? I noticed last night when I actually bothered to back all the way out of Netflix..........and then saw it. :cool:

Then my ATV locked up and despite several reboots, still won't do anything except show the main screen. :ughh:

This entire page is filled with talk about it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

echobucket posted:

See, I went the route of using my quad core i5 iMac to reencode stuff and stick it into my iTunes library. Works a treat and I can just use the native Apple TV UI to browse my movies and shows.

Once you use XBMC and all it's cover art glory you can never go back to the native Apple TV UI.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

MickRaider posted:

You mean they want to encourage people to buy their media and give them the easiest possible method of doing so?

I wouldn't call it shameful so much as progressive. It's up to companies to combat piracy by providing the simplest of all methods for media consumption. By making it a standard codec than all media distributors can provide this as their norm making it very easy for the end user to deal with.

With that said I prefer plex after using XBMC on xbox's for years. After my last ATV jailbreak and trying XBMC I was underwhelmed with the integration. Plex is simple enough and I run a desktop server so it just makes sense.

This may be a dumb question, but if I go to Walmart and buy a DVD out of the $5 bin, what is the official "Apple way" to get that media on my Apple TV?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Thwomp posted:

DVDs are not allowed to be ripped because the film industry is nowhere near that point yet (and probably never will be).

Kaleidescape sells media servers that rip DVDs. They were sued and won.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

B-Mac posted:

Is there an program I can use to AirPlay from my windows pc to my Apple TV?

If you are looking to AirPlay something other than files in iTunes you could try this : https://www.airparrot.com

As a disclaimer, I have never used this but I did find it with Google.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

cbirdsong posted:

My TV is very common and has a native resolution of 1366x768. Is there any way I can set the AppleTV to specifically that? Everything is just a tiny bit fuzzy at 720p.

Fixed that for you :)

And I don't believe you can set the apple TV to that specific format.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Thwomp posted:

Anyone having issues connecting their AppleTV to their iTunes Home Share since going to iTunes 11?

Yes. Just had this issue at a clients house. Have not fixed it yet. Using an AppleTV 3 and iTunes 11 running on an iMac with Mountain Lion.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I have updated both my Apple TV and iTunes to the latest updates. Now Airplay works for my iPhone great, but I cannot get my PC and Apple TV to see each other anymore. I have signed in and out, turn on & off home sharing on both, and still no luck. I am banging my head against the wall right now.

Edit: Jesus Christ I am stupid. I will leave this here as a lesson. Make sure your laptop is not connected to your guest network on your Airport Extreme when trying to do home sharing. Almost 2 hours wasted.

I have done this before and it's quite a roller coaster of emotion isn't it? From "gently caress you Apple and your piece of poo poo software" to "I am an idiot".

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

FreakyZoid posted:

Is it a bug or a feature that my ATV3 can't airplay to multiple speakers like my macbook, iPad, etc. can?

I wasn't even aware that it could send audio to any speakers. I always considered it the receiver of the airplay content as opposed to the sender.

vvvvv Ah, I did not know that!

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 7, 2013

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Mine is stuck at the What's New screen and I can't get it to do anything else.

How long has it been? That happens to me quite frequently after updating (AV Installer) and it snaps out of it after a little bit.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck you tim cook. Ah well there that goes. Can the above be done with a macbook and that airplay receiver app?

If you have a macbook, why involve the ATV/Airplay in the mix?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I am at a customers house who is complaining all his home videos are having playback problems on his Apple TV 2. The video plays fine but the audio is out of sync and plays back too fast (chipmunk voices). All his home videos were in AVI format captured on a Flip. They were converted to MP4 using Handbrake 9.6. They have always played fine on this hardware until the the latest batch of Apple TV/iTunes updates.

After much Googling I found that this is a common problem with video files encoded using Handbrake version 9.6 or newer. Jumping back to version 9.5 and re-encoding fixes the problem. I guess if you don't want to re-encode all your files you can also press and hold the select button while the movie is playing and pick the secondary audio track? I have not been able to test this because we are using a 3rd party control system and I don't have that particular IR code.

I just tried the MP4Tools that was posted and it seems to work. I also tested Handbrake 9.5 and that is working too. Hope this is helpful to someone!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Sure, if you're remuxing from h.264 inside an MKV container. That simply grabs the h.264 video stream and drops it into an M4V. If he's coming from Xvid he has no choice but to reencode, which MP4Tools will actually do a worse job of since I've found its x264 settings less than ideal.

I keep and use Handbrake, MP4Tools, and Subler for conversion purposes since none of them are jack-of-all-trades.

This is correct. The first time I left it at default settings and it attempted to use "passthru" for video and audio. It was quite fast but the file it saved was zero bytes. I changed it to 1-pass and the file worked, but like you said it was about the same speed as Handbrake.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm got a samsung plasma that I've had hooked up that way since I got my surround system and it's worked flawlessly for both my digital cable and appletv.

I'd be willing to bet you are getting pro logic surround.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I can't believe the TV doesn't simply act as a "passthrough"; especially since it's just a freakin' beam of red light. :psyduck:

I believe the issue is with the way the TV's EDID info is setup. Since it's a TV with stereo speakers it's EDID info is set as 2 channel. So when the TV and the Cable Box/DVD Player/Game system does their handshake the video device goes "Oh hey, you're a 2 channel source so here is 2 channel audio." So it's not that the TV can't put the digital surround signal out, it's that it's not receiving digital surround from the video device. Some of the newer/more advanced TVs might have an option in their setup that allows you to "change" the EDID so it tells other devices it's capable of receiving digital multi-channel signals and can then therefore send multi-channel out of the TOSLINK port.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Philthy posted:

I'd really like it more if they just made a remote control that shows what is on the AppleTV screen on your ipad/ipod and you select and queue stuff up and press a play button to execute it on the AppleTV itself. I generally sit in a corner reading a book and having to get up, turn the TV on, then stand in front of the TV to just change a radio station, then turn the TV back off is annoying.

I think you should be using your iPad/iPod to play music and just send it to your Apple TV using AirPlay.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Minidust posted:

Is WWE Network supposed to get a native app on Apple TV? ATV is definitely being touted as a supported device, but I'm not sure if it's just through airplay. Apparently WWE outsourced a lot of work to the MLB.tv crew, so I suppose that bodes well.

I guess they did this at an event, so I'm thinking maybe it will get an actual app.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I have all my media on an external hard drive connected to a Mac Mini. All that media is in an iTunes friendly format, and imported into the iTunes library of the Mac Mini. I then access it all through Home Sharing on the AppleTV.

This has worked great for years, but lately I've had a lot of bufferring and stuttering on my videos. Is the hard drive or the Mac Mini the more likely culprit? They're both pretty old (hard drive from like 2008, Mini from like 2006), but I don't even know if the Mac Mini is doing any processing in this setup. Or it is just acting as a way for the AppleTV to see the media on the drive?

You could try copying a movie from the external drive to the Mac Mini and see if the issue persists. I'm assuming the Mini and Apple TV have wired network connections?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

It's tough because it's not repeatable. It'll take like 3 minutes to start a shot that usually starts instantaneously, but then once it's over, if I go back and start it again it'll start instantly.

Do you have enough space on the mini to copy a few shows you plan on watching? If it never happens on the mini you can look at your media drive. But I agree one of your drives sounds like it's dying. Have you tried SMART tests?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Disappointing Pie posted:

Hey folks I'm trying to wrap my head around something but it's not working so far.

We have a grocery store and our store purchased two apple TV's for use with some televisions. They need to both display the exact same thing which is just a basic slideshow that displays photos and videos of new items and sales we are having throughout the store. We're having a hell of a time with this though. Someone suggested homesharing but I can't figure out how to make it show a group of 20 photos and a few videos over and over all day long. Then it was suggested we try photo stream and for some reason we can't add videos to our photostream even though we're using iCloud control panel 3.1, when I go to the folder that has our photos it just says add photo and it won't let me add a video. So I'm kind of stumped.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I think I got homesharing setup. I turned it on in iTunes and picked the photo and videos to share. Went to the Apple TV and selected Computers -> That Folder and it shows all the photos and videos but it doesn't play the videos when you enable a slideshow. It just skips through the photos and ignores the video.

Did a quick Google and found this :

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24514425#24514425

So looks like no.

I did see someone make a suggestion on another thread which was to take all the photos and videos you want and merge them together into an iMovie project. Export that movie and just have the Apple TV show that movie on repeat. Probably not quite as easy to update, but once you use iMovie a few times I'm sure you could churn out updates in less than 10 minutes.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

For a slideshow, just save any images you want to the iCloud and just open up iCloud photos and click slide show. If you scroll down to type you can pick classic, adjust the transitions, the time per slide, and you can even set background music.

I think the catch is that they want to have movies mixed in with the pictures.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Minidust posted:

Sweet, I just realized that I can share photos from my Windows 7 laptop to the ATV through iTunes. Same screen saver/slideshow options as the usual iCloud stuff. I had assumed local photo sharing was limited to iPhoto/Mac users. Was this always available or did it just show up in the latest iTunes update?

Pretty sure you could this from the get go (first gen).

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

vas0line posted:

Therein lies the problem.... My whole issue is the fact that I want a single, compact unit that can sit neatly on the shelf, can convert the digital signal coming from the ATV and spit it out to analog so I can use regular ol' passive speakers... AND have a remote control so I can adjust the freaking volume. Sure, I could certainly buy a bunch of gadgets and other stuff to convert data around in proprietary formats with a menagerie of adapters, but I want a simple solution.
As far as I can tell, there is really nothing out there that isn't expensive and/or gigantic.

Would one of those home theaters in a box fit the bill? They are typically much smaller than a standard receiver.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I just used one of these at a clients house. It's cheap and it worked. Not exactly what you asked for but you would feed HDMI from the apple tv into it and then it spits out hdmi (to the monitor) and analog audio (to your speakers with volume control).

http://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Premium-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00BIQER0E/ref=sr_1_2

For your second question -> The TV should tell the Apple TV that it's only a 2 channel device and the Apple TV should send 2 channel audio to it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Not sure if anyone else has been frustrated by not being able to activate AE, History, ABC, (not Lifetime) on Comcast on their Apple TV, but I saw this workaround posted on another site and figured I'd post here. It worked for me:

This is very helpful, thank you!

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

e.pilot posted:

With the abundance of sub $100 TV sticks available now they'd be nuts to charge $200.

When did everyone forget that Apple devices have their own price points and people will buy them anyway?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

smackfu posted:

Why exactly? Amazon Echo has the microphone on the device and it works great., and you never need to use the remote if you don't want.

My Apple TV is not in the same room as my TVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I tried out Plex on the Apple tv through airplay from my iPhone and it works really well except one issue. If I start browsing Facebook or the web and I scroll to an area of a page that has a video airplay freaks out and stops playing Plex in preparation to play the video I've scrolled to. Really annoying. Is there a way to disable airplay on an app by app basis?

I've disabled autoplay videos in Facebook but just the presence of a playable video seems to screw it up.

What are you watching on Plex that's so boring you need to browse Facebook?

• Locked thread