Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

so why is yaml so bad? just seems like a different take on xml?? idk i don't use this stuff

yaml is more a different take on json than on xml, and the problem in this case is that yaml supports user-defined types (unlike json), and the rails yaml serializer & parser is built to automatically support arbitrary ruby objects.

and then there's the delightful wrinkle that the rails xml parser supports embedded yaml for some reason and the rails json parser just hands the json text off to the yaml parser because yaml is a superset of json

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Condiv posted:

"Java applets are bad, lets torch the entire jvm."

7.0 / 10

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they unified the single player and multiplayer engines, now they're both equally broken, with an improvment in multiplayer and worsening in single player

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

FamDav posted:

i think most of the speedups early on were from optimizing how chunk data was stored and read. I think scaevolus used hilbert curves to reorder chunks to improve locality of data which had a nontrivial effect on speed.

not even that fancy. mcregion stores (up to) 1024 chunks per file instead of one chunk per file. that's it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the talent deficit posted:

sure let's just ship llvm in our browsers. and i guess a filesystem. oh and a posix subsystem. gently caress it let's just embed linux in firefox/chrome

congratulations, you've reinvented nacl

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Is C++/CLI still a thing? I thought they abandoned it for C++/CX.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

or you just extend the existing unwind tables to also include a list of pointers in each stack frame

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

winrt is metro full screen only though right?

yes, and it is implemented internally using win32.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

b0lt posted:

yes, almost everything about it sucks, especially the standard library.

you'd think they'd make stuff like indexing into an array or string concatenation easy, but nope [[array objectAtIndex: 0] stringByAppendingString: [array objectAtIndex: 1]]

it's bad enough that objective c++11 is unironically better

they fixed the indexing. not the string manipulation, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

yaoi prophet posted:

how'd they fix it

subscripts on object pointers are translated to calls to objectAtIndexedSubscript/setObject:atIndexedSubscript or objectForKeyedSubscript/setObject:forKeyedSubscript, depending on whether the subscript is an integer or object pointer.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how many of his 99 problems are unicode related? at least two, obviously, but what's the exact total?

1. bom in utf8
2. surrogate pairs in utf8
3. surrogate pairs
4. composite characters
5. decomposed characters
6. han unification
7. non-han separation
8. variation selectors, language tags, interlinear annotations, bidi controls and other stupid poo poo
9. locale-dependent case folding

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jerry SanDisky posted:

time to start posting bombs to academics

bombs are so last century, the modern violent kook prefers chemical or biological weapons

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

where does that weird jackd thing fit in to this

right next to those magic rocks you put on top of your receiver to improve audio quality because the $1000 monster cables just weren't enough for your discerning ear

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you heard it here first, folks: documentation is self-documenting.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

autotools includes automake and libtool in addition to autoconf, both of which are also horrible. especially libtool.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the cmake version is pkg_check_modules(LLVM llvm>=3.6)

except llvm doesn't actually ship a .pc file

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

"make C++ usable between shared libraries"

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Now tell us about java.lang.System.setOut().

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Symbolic Butt posted:

what happened with jeffatw's forums thing? that looked cool dumb.

he found two marks willing to pay him to beta test it and then moved on to keyboards

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Max Facetime posted:

I don't understand, is this some sort of name mangling issue? like that the type name encodes some type information that's not otherwise expressible in C++ and the encoding is platform dependent, or something?

No, every single C++ lambda creates a unique unnamed type (even if they have the exact same signature and capture).

There's literally no way to declare a lambda without either using the auto keyword or instantiating the std::function template.

Apple quite sensibly just made C++ lambdas silently convert to blocks.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

having a well-specified standard means that when i want to interoperate with a french mainframe, an american minicomputer from the 1970s, and a japanese warehouse running Windows, i'm gonna use xml

[insert story about mumps xml parser that was based purely on predetermined byte offsets here]

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and then you can learn rust again at the next point release

that's two c langs!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Werthog 95 posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp

preceded by GOOL and supposedly only abandoned because sony bought em

all the Jak games post-date the sony acquisition. I think they abandoned it because they couldn't get it to work on the Cell.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

javascripts lack of sigils makes it superior to perl

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

hackbunny posted:

hey now, enqueued real-time signals are a very different beast from classic UNIX signals. besides, there's no excuse for limiting yourself to the standard completion notification mechanisms - QNX for example extended AIO to integrate with its proprietary event notification system

as did Solaris, although it is (or was?) unusably broken

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I thought triple fault back into real mode was a 286/Windows 2.0 era thing, and by the time Windows 95 rolled around they were running the BIOS and DOS device drivers in VM86 mode

I seem to recall a description of the Windows 95 IO stack starting out in 32-bit protected mode, switching to VM86 16-bit real mode (only if necessary), running through the hooked DOS interrupt handlers for drivers and TSRs in sequence and then hitting the last hook in the list which was registered by Windows itself so it could switch back into protected mode to complete the request

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gnome 3 is missing basic features like the ability to set your desktop wallpaper to an image of your choice

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

gnome 3 is, at best, a decent window manager, but only if you install several extensions and change several hidden preferences

them gnome 3 apps themselves are uniformly trash

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

drag it to the Pictures folder - there's a label there on the Pictures tab that even tells you it pulls the images from the Pictures folder.

there's no label and the Pictures tab itself doesn't even list all of the images in the top level of my pictures folder, much less any of the sub-folders.

but it is helpful enough to sort the images in a random order and hide their file names.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

it is almost as if Zombywuf has literally no idea how the Windows Data Protection API or the iOS/OS X Keychain Services work.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't see how this is any different from Windows or OS X.

it isn't.

well, except they have TPM support, which means in addition to a user-specific protected storage encrypted using a key derived from the user's password, they also have a machine-specific protected storage encrypted using a randomly generated key that is stored in a location that can only be accessed by OS software satisfying the TPM's chain-of-trust requirements

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

and actually, now that i think about it, pulling from google/flickr wouldn't be more than 100 lines of code. use grilo to fetch flickr/google drive images together with the gnome-online-accounts credentials, and stick it in a gtkflowbox for presentation like all the other items.

except gnome-online-accounts can't actually log in to google

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and then you enter your username and password and it immediately demands your username and password again, ad infinitum

almost as if nobody involved tested it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

i just tested it now and it worked fine.

there was a bug on google's end a little while ago where they disabled one of their documented oauth2 login types without any warning. we switched to another, but they reenabled it since.

if you just tested it and it doesn't work, please tell me what version you're on (3.8.4?) so i can try it out locally and see if it's broken here.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=888822

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

that would be kde, gnome doesn't have minimized icons

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

iostreams has a lot of problems but the builder pattern isn't the root of them

I too like text output systems that cannot be localized.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Deus Rex posted:

Oh, and what does the overloaded (*) do on your vector type?

nothing, because you've overloaded ⨯ and ∙ instead

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

bought an intel galileo thinking i'd do some unspecific realtimey stuff with it, not reading the specs in full, and it turns out that it is 100% tied to a linux firmware :(

but you've Joined The Community and become a Maker and are ready to participate in the Internet of Things

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there is literally no way to do c++ right
well, you could dynamically calculate object member and vtable offsets at runtime, but c++ spergs would whine about performance and go back to blowing out their L2 cache with their overcomplicated text substitution system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

so this is simultaneously true and misleading, as "unspecified behavior" in c better loving mean exactly what it means in ye olde 80s c compiler

except it doesn't