Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I was told that REST style programming is dumb, when RPC exists. Is this at all true? I don't know enough bout either to make that kind of claim, but absolutism in tech is usually rather silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

rest is for when you want to serve a resource like an image or another file. rpc is for when you want to perform a remote method as if it were local. you could build your own custom rpc on top of rest but that would be silly when there are already standardized rpc protocols.

It's funny you say this because I was told this in the middle of a discussion about why we are wrapping webapi references and using them in a rpc style manner, when we could just use a REST endpoint like webapi or service stack and not spend a week writing visual studio extensions and t4 templates.

All this from the "fragility" of wcf and silver light (not my solution)

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
The writing my own service is the scary part about what some developers like to do. I would rather work on WCF channel management, rather than re-write my service in an entirely different framework, and then write my own wsdl.exe to generate my new rest "methods" that are rpc.

Anyways, that's my story, thanks for reading. Any one have a good link for rpc vs. rest? Just so I can get some better understanding and rebut statements like "REST is useless when you have rpc".

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

PleasingFungus posted:

Microsoft announced on December 13, 2012 that Windows Live Mesh would be discontinued on February 13, 2013.[2]

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2008/05/01.html

Heh.

Spolsky posted:

And now Ray Ozzie's big achievement arrives and what is it? (drumroll...) Microsoft Live Mesh. The future of everything. Microsoft is "moving into the cloud."

What's Microsoft Live Mesh?

Hmm, let's see.

"Imagine all your devices—PCs, and soon Macs and mobile phones—working together to give you anywhere access to the information you care about."

Wait a minute. Something smells fishy here. Isn't that exactly what Hailstorm was supposed to be? I smell an architecture astronaut.

And what is this Windows Live Mesh?

It's a way to synchronize files.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 24, 2013

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Gazpacho posted:

hiring ray ozzie as chief architect was a mistake but joel remains ignorant, he would never say anything good about live mesh because he believes the idea of network file systems is fundamentally wrong

I completely agree with you. I just so happened to read that Spolsky post a few months ago and wanted to share. I'm no Spolsky fan.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

tef posted:

dear yospos

i'm gonna be doing a new jerb where I sorta you know write code, give talks and generally do a whole bunch of poo poo to mean that people can help kids learn through play

please give me a job title

Development education ranger

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Jerry SanDisky posted:

i wish c# and wpf existed on every platform :smith:

I have unreasonably high hopes for xamarin, but they are trying to make a better iOS designer than Xcode, which quite honestly won't be too hard.

Teched even mentioned xamarin apps will be able to use pcls, which just makes me happy. As a young 26 year old developer, c# sure does appear to be the most satisfying language at present to use.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Shaggar posted:

also primary keys should be the natural primary key whenever possible. you should pretty much always have a surrogate key tho.

Iquitos question about this.

I have a haul, that holds a bucket of loads, should I have this?

dbo.Haul
Id [int]
HaulUID [guid]
HaulName [varchar]

Dbo.Load
Id [int]
LoadUID [guid]
HaulID [foreign key int]
LoadName

What is the point of a surrogate key?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

in case something hosed happens with the natural key

So is the surrogate a Guid if the natural key is an autoincrementing int?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
what do I tell the retard php developer our .net shop just hired, as a 'developer evangelist,' who wants to rewrite everything to php?

edit: I don't mean to e/n, but i am upset. and I write objective c mostly.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

UncleBlazer posted:

He sounds young. Please confirm my bias.

22, he told the CEO he is in a startup that got a product to market in 6 weeks time with php.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Blotto Skorzany posted:

you can easily get through your whole career without jenkins

If you work in lovely shops, sure.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

i can't be the only person kind of impressed to see this. I was talking to mads at Xamarin evolve and he was very excited to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
sent this to the php developer evangelist we have http://eev.ee/blog/2012/04/09/php-a-fractal-of-bad-design/

He came back with the 'good developers can use whatever' and a 'curl most sites and you won't see ASP.net being used'

C# 7 is looking nice. My body is ready for C# 6, release it Satya.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 28, 2015