Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
python is a really cool language

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
being a java programmer is like being an alcoholic only there's a reason other than sheer incompetence that an alcoholic does things that only a brain damaged retard would do

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
welp

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 18, 2012

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
perl owns unironically and so does python, they are both cool

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Elos posted:

gonna have to write some java for a course soon

i'm sorry

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

gucci void main posted:

i have an interview thursday :shobon:

ask them what version control they use

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

gucci void main posted:

p.s., i'm really sick of the term "hit the ground running" cause it's the most over-loving-used phrase. post your most clichéd IT job phrases here

it's bad/good practice

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

volkadav posted:

I thought I hated php, then I got a project at work that has lead to crawling up its rear end with gdb.

gently caress YOU, ZEND!!

:psyboom:

At least there's PHP's wonderful documentation to fall back on.
php is the worst goddamn language

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
remember when jeff atwood tried to tell the forums what's up

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_theory#Applications

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
so basically anything that involves that involves things being related being related to other things

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Paracetamol Boy posted:

does anyone here actually enjoy working with libboost for the sake of working with libboost

boost owns and if you don't use it then you're an idiot who should not be a c++ programmer

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
C++11 owns and i'm so pissed we won't have it in our company for a while yet

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

rotor posted:

everyone needs to learn more perl imho

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Paracetamol Boy posted:

boost is useful but there is this guy who uses boost for stuff that he can code natively in fewer lines than it takes to code the thing using boost

i do not understand this
yeah man i mean why on earth would you want to use an extremely efficient and exhaustively tested API as opposed to just doing your own thing. that's crazy talk.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Paracetamol Boy posted:

boost PO instead of just using main args?
crazytalk

boost docs posted:

Introduction

The program_options library allows program developers to obtain program options, that is (name, value) pairs from the user, via conventional methods such as command line and config file.

Why would you use such a library, and why is it better than parsing your command line by straightforward hand-written code?

It's easier. The syntax for declaring options is simple, and the library itself is small. Things like conversion of option values to desired type and storing into program variables are handled automatically.

Error reporting is better. All the problems with the command line are reported, while hand-written code can just misparse the input. In addition, the usage message can be automatically generated, to avoid falling out of sync with the real list of options.

Options can be read from anywhere. Sooner or later the command line will be not enough for your users, and you'll want config files or maybe even environment variables. These can be added without significant effort on your part.
these all seem like great reasons to me.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

shrughes posted:

Maybe you should go cry about it then. I'm so sorry there's people with more money than you and people making more money than you that make you jealous.

:master:

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i like programming

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

what's a technologist

am I one?

people say that to make it sound general so that you have no idea what you're going to be doing. i was a 'technologist' when i was in a government job.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i'm betting she means 'do it this number of times'. like maybe she's trying to teach you recursion or something in a really dumb and obtuse way.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

you're as retarded as mr. homework help; the original instructions weren't really unclear

so what is the int for

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
tbf i only read the quote above, i didn't realise you'd actually pasted code

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

its mac only so theres no reason to ever use it.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

this except the literal opposite

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
gently caress i just agreed with tiny bug child

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i like ocaml

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Otto Skorzeny posted:

also ocaml is a pretty darn good language for writing a compiler in :toot:

gently caress yeah ocaml rules

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Wheany posted:

How to write a multithreaded application:

1) Just make your application single-threaded
2) Copy this bat file as many times as you have processors, with different parameters in each file, duh:
DOS code:
yourapplication.exe inputfile1 outputfile1
yourapplication.exe inputfile2 outputfile2
yourapplication.exe inputfile3 outputfile3
yourapplication.exe inputfile4 outputfile4
3) Then copy and run this bat:
DOS code:
start batch1.bat
start batch2.bat
start batch3.bat
start batch4.bat
4) profit :xd:

how to stop Wheany posting:

1) stop posting
2) stop it
3) ???
4) ge tout

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Tiny Bug Child posted:

php is like jet fighters. fast, powerful, can do p much anything, sometimes crashes b/c of pilot error

this but C++

php is more like a fighter jet that goes into a tailspin when it has to do anything challenging. of course the engineers who designed and built the fighter jet won't fix this because there are times when i guess you might want to go into a tailspin and the pilot should stop complaining and just learn how to counter roll the jet all the other times.

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

dont bother going from one p-lang to another. they're all crap.

don't listen to shaggar, perl is great

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

perl's the shortest distance between "i know a computer can do this" and it being done

"shortest" doesn't imply "best"

define best

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

i said best, not literally the absolute worst

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

EVGA Longoria posted:

driving an open road with the top down on a beautiful day, letting all you worries evaporate

this is a metaphor for perl programming

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

ZYNGA STOCK CRASHER posted:

ban 4 anime n aspergers

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
because the world is still racist as gently caress

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

this but moose milkie

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008

Shaggar posted:

the only time you can have non-blocking io is when you dont care what the result of the io operation is. this means it doesnt matter what any of the rest of your code does.

lol

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
~shaggar~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-BUM-RAIDER-X
May 7, 2008
i mean you're going to have to wait on the result of the io at some point if you care about the result, but that doesn't mean you can't do other stuff before that

i guess shaggar is technically right in a really weird and borderline wrong way

X-BUM-RAIDER-X fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Oct 16, 2012