Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

OBAMA BIN LAUGHIN posted:

python is a really cool language

its good and sensible and easy to write for and easy to debug

and if performance got you down you can easily write critical parts in c/c++ (using weave if you're doing simple numerical stuff, otherwise using swig)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Police Academy III posted:

someone tell spiders he should've used a defaultdict there

you can just call get with a default argument

pizza[tomatoes] = pizza.get(tomatoes, []) + [int(peppers), int(olives)]

you dont need a whole nother type

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Char posted:

also if you want to have a language understandable by management but usable by developers just use cucumber features.

another innovation brought to you by the world of interpreted languages.

you're welcome.

so this thing generates unit tests from actual (specifically-structured) written english?

seems actually cool, definitely good for communicating with nonprogrammers

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

:shepicide:

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i like most every physics person and ee person ive met

but i dont like reading their code, b/c they are the worst programmers

physicists with spaghetti fortran and ee nerds with terse c functions that are 400 lines long (and single letter variables)

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

um you know function calls have overhead and it all compiles to a single binary anyway dont you???

my fist compiles into a single binary in your solar plexus

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

rotor posted:

some day software engineering will be actual engineering but not any time soon. right now we're still at that awkward phase that cars were back when each one was handmade and some ran on steam and some ran on kerosene and some ran on compressed air.

i think we're more like carpenters

everyone learns a detailed set of joint styles and has their favorite materials. quality varies widely by the experience and care of the person making the piece of furniture

eventually someone will come along with the ability to mass-produce cheap versions of things that suit most needs, and the entire discipline will fade away except for in a few niche cases where the mass-produced versions wont work

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Sulk posted:

Python isn't a better option than Java for an intro course, so that's a bad decision on their part.

yeah, but when you think about it, its a much better option than Java for an intro course, so it's actually a good decision on their part

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Sweevo posted:

i think its a rule that all Intro to Programming classes have to use a completely retarded language. in my day it was either pascal or modula-2 depending on which crusty greybeard teacher you got. then they switched to vb6 which is even stupider

c++ when i took ap cs

its just mean, bc after 2 semesters you can barely know any of the language even though you feel like youve really learned stuff

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i think cs professors are bad at teaching coding the same as most math professors are bad at teaching basic calc

like they spend all day working on compiler theory or machine learning or what have you, they never think about how to teach someone whats an array or whats a string

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

was it jane street, they're known for being very proud of their special snowflake tech which iirc in tyool 2005 was vb6

i know a few people there and they seem to like it. ive thought once or twice about learning ocaml just to work there, but on the other hand... ocaml

other terrible 'learn a language get a job' ideas include scala for working at foursquare

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
speaking of which, internaut, which would you rather work at -- a proprietary trading type place (trading internal money to get the partners rich), or a mutual fund type place (trading on gramma's money and trying not force her to eat cat food during retirement)?

i'm thinknig i'd almost lean toward the former. even though you're not doing the public any good, your ability to do the public serious damage is smaller

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
it seems like a lot of the math that funds do is high-dimensional integrals that they have to use mcmc / gibbs / whatever sampling for, and it seems like that stuff would be pretty amenable to cuda

but maybe that's way off base

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

excel calling out to matlab functions

:pwn:

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
"my 1981 Yugo only has a top speed of 45 miles an hour"

"thats ok, just replace the engine with the one out of this 1974 Gremlin with the broken head gasket, and you'll be driving in style"

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

excel and matlab are noted for their poor numerical capabilities

im sure it does make sense in the context of your work, im just baffled. i mean lots of things have good numerical capabilities and also work as decent languages

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

lol thats awful

how is the orange sky on your planet? do the three moons look nice today?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
if your changing what your comparing, you will need to name the new comparator something else, and youll have to find and replace anyway.

shaggargument is specious

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

BonzoESC posted:

does python have both comparator sort and a schwartzian transform sort-by method

shwartzian transform is considered "the old way" but yeah you can do it that way

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

standardtoaster posted:

Is this accurate?

nah theyre more like daemons than spirits (at least in *nix)

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
shaggar what is the best program ever written

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
lol @ using computers

im posting this via smoke signal from my campfire in montana

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Janin posted:

This is completely different, good job being mutually incompetent in three languages I guess.

well the spec was written in haskell and no non-spergs can read that

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Internaut! posted:

those are just from the last page

tbh i think a lot of people would actually benefit by taking basic real analysis. definitely if you do any numerical stuff. plus the cantor set is cool as poo poo

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i remember the pde stuff that was basically breaking stuff down to fourier components after separation of variables, but i would have a hard time solving an ode by hand

irl if i got asked to analyze a system of differential equations i would immediately go to graphical methods

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
fourier transform is useful as all hell

i think ive learned it separately like 5 times. in pdes, for signal processing / wavelets, in real analysis (the graduate one), in a data course (useful because it also went over sampling issues and windowing functions). theres probably one more

ive been in school a long drat time is what im sayin

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Hammerite posted:

watching americans talk about these things is weird because they say things like "oh calculus 2 was my favourite calculus" and expect you to know what the hell calculus 2 is. are your mathematics courses really totally 100% uniform across every institution in the whole country or what

lower level classes are more standardized. probably a combination of the fact that we have gen-ed requirements, ap exams, and people transfer after finishing gen-ed stuff fairly often

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

All Hat posted:

yah, jonnty's bang on the money here. when backing up a car with a trailer attached, you arent actually solving 2nd degree integrals. its all numerical approximation

cerebellum, i hardly knew him!

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
erlang is definitely the most yospos, but scala actually seems p cool and maybe even useful

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Ronald Raiden posted:

using emacs would be like touching RMS, that's gross. Contributing would be like eating his scabs.

if you hate rms you should not contribute to emacs and instead have children

human children, not half-human half-parrot grotesque freak children

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i'm like a month behind in this thread. snyping to say hi to me from a month in the past

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

has there been anyone who's tried the current asp.net web stack

probably not

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Shaggar posted:

everyone here whos tried it has switched and the only people who haven't tried it are scared that they'll get something that works instead of having to deal with garbo p-langs.

ive heard that .net stacks are common in finance. do you work in finance? the only tech place I know with a .net stack is zocdoc, and they were started by ex-finance people, ha

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i thought all the stacks looked like react or whatever now, with the back-end stuff in jvm services?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Destroyenator posted:

.net is one of the best stacks if you can deploy to azure paas offerings or have people who care enough (and you trust) to maintain windows servers. luckily lots of enterprise shops do actively maintain windows server installs and startups can use azure easily so there's lots you can do in that space. hopefully the next asp (due in q1) will make mono a viable option.

was just glancing through the documentation on azure; didn't realize it supported hadoop and spark and all that

is there an equivalent to kafka and storm for queuing / streaming events?

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Bloody posted:

hi someone point me to a deece learn you a scala thing thanks in advance

odersky's coursera course is useful

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

FamDav posted:

scala is going to persist in ML so long as spark is a thing, though with dataframes not incurring a real performance penalty in python i could see scala being an implementation detail.

pyspark and spark dataframes are the path to suicide

only make rdds of case classes.

also don't use mllib, it's mostly lovely wrappers for breeze on spark dataframes. just use breeze on the rdds.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

qntm posted:

Our code reviews are part of the system, you can't commit without one.

are the review pre-commit people on Gerrit? i like Gerrit OK, but github (and sometimes phabricator) seems more popular with it's review pre-merge

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Soricidus posted:

at least I think that's the reasoning idrk

probably originally it was "they can implement that themselves" and now it's more that java stuff gets used as a back-end language where people are using DI from a config or reading in parameters from the DB or whatever that works well with continuous deployment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

that was a fun read. thanks tef