Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

don't roll your own crypto.

(u less you are iot things)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

if you're not willing to deal with php's syntax in order to get a task done then maybe it's not worth doing in any language?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

if you're not willing to deal with %L's syntax in order to get a task done then maybe it's not worth doing in any language?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

i cant wait for web rear end to deprecate javascript.

i want to agree but also isn't the next hot thing web assembly?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ralith posted:

that's what he said

i'm terrible at reading turns out

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shy posted:

Hello is Go good or bad?
Feel free to link me to any posts that described Go faults, I may have seen one but I don't remember.

e: oh poo poo it's the one that has github import baked in?

it seems nice enough if you don't want to tangle with C and have a need for speed

on the other hand it's like C soooo i dunno. I interviewed with a company whose backend was written entirely in go for unclear reasons. It was the backend of Vivino, a wine app, and I'm having a hard time telling why it would need such speeds where they could probably develop in python and get more done faster.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rjmccall posted:

what you actually do is you take a List and you assume it has O(1) indexing because lol nobody is stupid enough to think that LinkedList is an acceptable data structure to ever use right?

in my comparatively few years of copying and pasting from stackexchange i have yet to see a solution using a linked list

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hell its about time

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

One thing that C++ has on these dumb P langs- it's forward compatible

still not worth it

like, at all

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blotto Skorzany posted:

how exploitable is this poo poo with a zip bomb?

wouldn’t even have to be a zip bomb, after a certain file name length you can’t delete a file except with some workaround like browsing a directory in 7zip

create a ton of files with extremely long names, fill up the drives, bam

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Sapozhnik posted:

probably but i'm an unrepentant programming language racist

to start a new project in php in the last (conservatively) ten years is to demonstrate staggering ignorance or poor judgment.

and i am really looking forward to the day when that becomes true for c++, at least outside the games industry, but that fucker behemoth has just way too much inertia.

i just left a company where using packages or libraries not developed in house or part of .Net was frowned upon.

Result: A poo poo ton of terrible libraries written by a chemical engineer who swears up and down everything should run on a matlab platform. Same company also has two dudes who full time stare into the abyss of 10+ years of matlab code with varying degrees of docstrings, comments, documentation or none of the above

CommunistPancake posted:

if a bad programming language is going to replace c++ it's going to be go, no question.

my money are still on webass for the new hotness of terrible

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Space Whale posted:

Is he a "Nate G"?

If so hoooo boy do I have a story for you.

is image what or whom? do tell

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the mainsoft port of Internet Explorer for solaris/hp-ux was even worse about this

they basically reimplemented all of win32 on top of motif and unix

wikipedia posted:

It was further reported that Steve Ballmer, then executive vice president of Microsoft, had shown an interest earlier in the month for a Microsoft browser to run on Unix as part of the strategy to wage the browser wars

should've let balmer keep running the show at microsoft

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

imagine electron but it’s based on internet explorer

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thermopyle posted:

im also surprised anyone uses c++

:yossame:

but then again what is the alternative?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blotto Skorzany posted:

to be fair almost nobody understands statistics. not in programming, not in other sorts of engineering, not even in most of the hard sciences (closest thing to an exception is physics, by necessity). i can recall with horror having a conversation over lunch at a thai place with some of the other phd candidates in my wife's ChemE group when she was in school where some stats stuff came up, and i asked one of them whether their coursework did a review of convolution or if it just assumed that as grad students they were well versed in it and i just got a blank stare from everyone at the table until one of them asked me what convolution was :smithicide: literally they just stuff their heads full of some cookbook poo poo related to p-values and call it a day.

i feel your pain my friend

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Athas posted:

My nitpicky Mac development gripes (aka macOS is not Linux):

* gdb does not work ootb for weird reasons. And after signing the binary (??) with a key I just made up (???) it still fails on most binaries for inexplicable reasons on trivial cases.

* no strace and I can never remember the name of the macOS equivalent.

* valgrind is touchy and reports (benign but noisy) errors in system libraries.

* the default OpenCL comes with a completely useless CPU device that is anyway first in the list. Delete this.

* the loving file system is case insensitive.

I asked for a Mac mostly to try it out and get my software on Homebrew (most of my students use macs for some reason), and I've been fairly disappointed (also in general computery things like random crashes and peripherals not working). I've ended up doing a lot of my work on my home Fedora desktop over SSH. Did I miss the good years of macOS or something? This feels like a Linux.
you've been damaged OP

alternatively: holding it wrong

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

.net is cool but i ain't gonna bet my business on it

i feel that at the moment the new and cool microsoft is making it a less bad idea, but who knows how long it'll last and what they'll pivot to next. More phones maybe?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pokeyman posted:

I suggested overcast to the last person I heard complain about this and that person is now much happier, so I’m doing the same to you

try overcast

can i import the podcasts I listen to already to overcast?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pokeyman posted:

probably?

you could probably just re-add them in the time you’d spend waiting for the next four ui stalls

that's the thing, I haven't experienced that yet

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Arcsech posted:

haskell is a sandbox for ideas in programming languages

some of the ideas are very good. these ones make it, slowly, into other languages

some of the ideas are unbelievably awful. these ones stick around in haskell, used by grognards to make the code more confusing forever

can you give an example?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i've yet to be at a company where "it works" was fast enough

i have had partner teams for whom "fast enough" needed to be much faster than the legacy system they were building their front end on could support.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

they rather write everything in c# before rust i imagine

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fiedler posted:

side note: one of those unimportant .net guys now owns the windows core os team

not surprising considering the state of windows

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

finally I’ll be able to add date time, string and into cells in excel without errors!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i want to imagine that when you've cracked c and all that comes with it you don't want to make life easier, a sunk cost thing if you will

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol @ "programming fanfic"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve seen one company in my native Scandinavian land use go for their backend. their hiring pool has been exhausted when they hired that one candidate

that company? it’s called vivino

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shy posted:

hows the linux version?

still bad but also just as expensive

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Xarn posted:

The official post-mortem says that the developer reused email+password on a different site that got breached though.

welp

that’s a hard one to counter

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

redleader posted:

look at mr ellison over here

what

i dont' get this joke or reference

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

PostgreSQL exists, as such, there is no reason to choose MsSQL. :colbert:

what if i want my database budget to explode?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

Depends if you want it to explode or go nuclear

imagine the person who pays for this and everything has microsoft written on the inside of his eyelids

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fiedler posted:

for large enterprises the savings in productivity are worth the cash.

where in azure sql server are these productivity savings kept?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Vanadium posted:

How do people verify the signatures of npm packages? Do you keep a local database of which author/public key you trust to publish each of your dependencies?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Maximum Leader posted:

maybe neither?

bool?

yes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the fact that the issues with embedding python as a scripting language stem rather directly from the breaking changes the maintainers forced through should make you weary of jumping through complicated hoops to embed the changed version. i at least would worry about the future maintainability of the thing

a sad state of affairs when javascript is the only other option, but you'll be drowning in quite compatible options on that front

there is that other alternative for embedded things

it's just, it's c++ and calling it an alternative might be a stretch

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ratbert90 posted:

If your budget is > 15$ per board, there's no excuse to not run embedded Linux these days. That price point get's you 1Ghz+, 512Mb of ram, and 8GB of eMMC.

At that point, choose whatever language you drat well please.

i worked for a manufacturer of scientific instruments selling at €50k who didn't run embedded linux, but had en entire division building and programming embedded boards.

it was madness

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Toady posted:

people are constantly complaining about go. why does anyone use it?

Does anyone actually use it on a large scale? All I've seen of examples are Google and a lovely wine app company in copenhagen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

you’re discounting the possibility of gotwo which could break apis and stuff. i thought that was the plan but i haven’t followed it in a whole

making gotwo would be almost as worse as making something not backwards compatible, but with everything proposed crammed in there

called go++