Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I'm not bothered by this considering Wrath of Khan was very specifically set later in both the character's lives after they had already encountered each other once. Khan's motivations should be unique in this film, especially since things probably play out differently due to the altered timeline.

They aren't trying to remake Wrath of Khan. They are just introducing the character to this new timeline, which isn't really a problem considering how well-liked the character is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

ColonelPanic posted:

To me it was a boring, paint by numbers, recycled story retold in a hipster tone.

I can understand someone being bored by the film. That's fine. But recycled? Sure, the script was kinda weak due to there being a very limited chance at rewrites due to the writer's strike, but the movie was far from recycled. What was it recycled from? Not any previous Trek film, nor any space action adventure movie I can remember.

Also, I'd love clarification on how it was told in a hipster tone. :allears:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

I am not sure a bizarro supernatural godlike character is the right way to go with star trek at this point. Then again, I didn't think the first movie was really good either, sooo...

That type of character is pretty much a staple of the franchise, actually.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Nightblade posted:

What I want from a new star trek movie is something like "Darmok and Jalad" mashed with "The Inner Light," some action and awkward fight choreography and 40+ year old actors, because that's what I watched when I grew up and it's those kind of stories that sets star trek apart from most tv I've seen, even though episodes like that probably weren't the norm.

I realize, of course, that I'll never get anything like that, so I'll probably have to make do with a very good action movie in star trek clothing, even though the wasted potential will still hurt a bit.

Movie Star Trek has never really been that, though. Neither of those would work as a two hour movie, but they made for nearly perfect 40 minute episodes. Insurrection is probably as close to being a two hour long Star Trek episode as any of the movies have been, and it was pretty lackluster. TMP also fits this bill, and while a decent film it was still pretty boring for most people.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Stormageddon posted:

Yeah, but they still, y'know, Trekked.

Counterpoint, DS9.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Honestly, you can do this to just about any movie, no matter how bad it is, when you disregard every possible bit of creator intent (because the forum rules forbid discussion of actual intent, unless that goofy rule has changed). This forum excels at it. Nemesis is one SMG-esque post away from being considered one of the finest pieces of sci-fi ever created.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 7, 2012

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I got rules lawyered for it a number of months ago during a discussion, so I take the safe road and just avoid it. Maybe things have gotten a bit more sane since then.

EDIT: It may have specifically been during a discussion of subtext in a movie, although I can't remember the details.

EDIT 2: I apologize for the derail.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 7, 2012

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Ville Valo posted:

Well now I'm just hoping against all hope that Picard and crew show up in this universe to right the timeline and team up with JJKirk. Thanks a lot.

I totally know who they could get to play young Picard. Tom Hardy.

Wait...

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

THE RED MENACE posted:

What we really need is Idris Elba as Sisko before he gets too old for the role.

Haha, this right here is a great idea.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Some Other Guy posted:

One of my favorite parts of Star Trek is how sometimes an entire episode can revolve around the technical details of how they'll solve a problem but in the movies sometimes it just comes down to "Recreate the vortex." such as in First Contact.

It still irritates me how lazy the First Contact script is. Wait, who am I kidding? All of the TNG movie scripts were lazy.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

WarLocke posted:

Star Trek V was bad but it was nowhere nearly as lovely as Insurrection or Nemesis.

Insurrection's only real fault is that it had an astoundingly boring premise and was completely forgettable in every way. Nemesis and V were horrible movies that were bad enough to become legendary for their terribleness.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 13, 2012

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Young Freud posted:

losing the Enterprise as well (which has it's own poignant "death" scene)

How could the writers have looked at the destruction of the D in Generations, then looked back at how awesome the destruction of the original was handled in 3, and not thrown their script into the nearest fire?

I won't even bring up Kirk's death. poo poo, I just did. God, I hate Generations.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

computer parts posted:

I'm actually struggling to remember any moments that would seem interesting to someone who hadn't first seen it when they were 8 years old.

And yet in my experience The Voyage Home seems to be, by far, the most popular of the Star Trek films with people who aren't into Star Trek. It's 'the whale one' and even non-nerds can quote some of the memorable moments from it.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Darko posted:

edit: Also the dialogue is directed weirdly with a bunch of odd...pauses...that aren't natural at all (and emotion that pops up out of nowhere): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvi62S5Ou_E

I'm pretty sure I could run to my local hardware store and build a perfect replica of the gun used in that clip. That has got to be one of the laziest props ever.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

A paid professional should at least attempt to conceal the fact that their 'gun' is clearly built from galvanized pipe fittings and CO2 cartridges. Using the fittings and parts to make the prop isn't the problem, as a lot of props are made from everyday stuff. The difference is that most of the time some extra effort is used to conceal the fact that they are just everyday items.

EDIT: Just watched the 9 minute preview and drat I can't wait for this movie.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

This movie is so blue/orange, especially with all the mauve undertones, bright white highlights, bold red accents, and blocks of murky yellow. And did you see that crimson forest in the 10 minute preview? Orange as hell.

I was wondering why the blue/orange thing got brought up, because it didn't really seem to be in this trailer. It's probably just the new 'shaky cam'. Call it out early, and if people agree with you that it exists than you can be all :smug:

EDIT: Everyone could use more McCoy. Karl Urban did a fantastic job capturing that character in his own way.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 17, 2012

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

If you seriously don't see the color monotony in those images I quoted, congrats on being colorblind / having zero design sense! But as I said in my first post, this is a hollywood thing, not just a star trek thing, so I'll shut up about it.

Is it still trendy if the coloring makes sense for the actual scene? The first movie was pretty vibrant color-wise, and I'm not seeing anything that tells me this movie won't be more of the same. It's when the colors seem forced rather than appropriate to the scene in question that I'd start complaining, but I don't see that happening in the trailer.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Lord Krangdar posted:

See what is lost?

Nothing is lost if the look is intended and is used wisely.

I do, however, hate when the color timing is hosed with after the fact on re-releases (Fellowship of the Ring, The Matrix, etc). So in that case I'm a bit of a hypocrite.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Pops Mgee posted:

Of you could get the guy from x-men first class I guess.

I want this to happen just because the idea of typecasting an actor as the younger version of another actor is endlessly amusing to me. Next we can sign him up for Gurney Halleck in a Dune remake.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Echo Chamber posted:

I wonder how much memories New Kirk got from Old Spock in that mindmeld. I'm guessing they probably won't address it.

I thought mind melds like that share the memories and emotions, but like a dream the details fade away quickly. Or maybe I read this in some novel or something when I was younger. I have a feeling that is likely.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Rhyno posted:

The first Countdown mini contradicted quite a bit of the film so I won't be surprised if this one does the same.

It didn't contradict it so much as have a lot of poo poo the film never brought up.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

qntm posted:

So, it complemented the film?

Pretty much. Borg technology, Geordi and Data's involvement...all stuff that can be ignored and never affect the story in the movie because it really doesn't matter within the scope of the story being told.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

ComposerGuy posted:

Future Spock basically told them "Give this guy the ship. No, seriously, trust me on this one. I'm from the FUTURE!" and Starfleet was like who the gently caress are we to say no? This guy pretty much knows all the major poo poo that's going to go down for the next hundred years.

I never really considered this angle, but it makes all sorts of sense.

The Dark One posted:

Yeah, I think the only decent Admiral who showed up in more than one episode was Ross.

Yeah, Ross was a great character and the only admiral we ever get to see that is worth a drat.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Can't remember if I've seen it in this thread yet or not, but my personal favorite speculation on Harrison's character is the theory that while he was on the SS Botany Bay, in this timeline the Federation simply opened a different suspended animation chamber than in the OS timeline and Harrison came out instead of Kahn. It makes the most sense, is an incredibly interesting take on the original story, and fits the whole "Cumberbatch plays a villain that's technically been on screen before but it isn't Marshall or Kahn or [all other potential villains]" thing that O&K have going.

That is actually a brilliant piece of speculation that I hope has some merit.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

AlternateAccount posted:

Then Kirk and Khan can TEAM UP. It's so silly I almost like it.

And Khan would be played by Vin Diesel. :colbert:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

feedmyleg posted:

Alien feels much more timeless.

The sets (computers and such), hairstyles, and clothing date Alien far more than anything dates Aliens, IMO.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Crackpipe posted:

Just don't watch the remastered Blu-Ray in five or ten years.

The movie is over 25 years old already. If it doesn't look aged to someone yet, it likely never will.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Timby posted:

That was the one and only moment in the movie when I felt like Pine said "gently caress it" and went for his best Shatner impression, and it worked perfectly.

I'm with you on that. It definitely seemed like the only overt Shatner impression he tried the whole movie.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

If I remember the commentary, Abrahms said the Kirk eating the apple during the test (mirroring Shatner's Kirk munching an apple while telling the story of how he passed the test in TWoK) was completely coincidence. I have a feeling it must have been a callback the writers threw in that went over his head.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I said come in! posted:

So what is Uhura's role now? Judging by the trailers, she has some from someone who translates alien languages, to some sort of combat special ops role. Her character is so completely random.

See, if I buy into the Star Trek convention where command crews always go on away missions, then I also imagine that beyond their shipboard specialties they are trained for various forms of combat and survival. I really doubt that people who can't handle themselves would be taken into really risky situations.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

penismightier posted:

it's just interesting to me, like when I found out they never said "Ewok" in Jedi.

I never realized this. How the hell did I never realize this??

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Like the first film and Prometheus, it looks like Into Darkness will have a lot of elements that will be latched onto and cited as flaws ad nauseum by nerds without any kind of exploration of whether/why they're a problem.

I love Prometheus mostly because it drew out nerds who typically poo poo on movies for hand-feeding the plot to viewers, and then left them confused and angered when it didn't provide them the answers to everything on a silver platter. This, of course, means the movie is flawed and full of holes.

'Plot hole' and 'deus ex machina' are probably the two most misused terms on this forum.

mind the walrus posted:

:smug: "God I love pissing off NERDS" :smug:

Since pretty much every side of every argument on this forum takes this stance at one point or another, I figure "When in Rome..." applies by default.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 24, 2013

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

BrandonGK posted:

I didn't realize that the Trek EU books followed the Star Wars model of giving minor characters with about 30 seconds of screentime their own novels and elaborate backstories.

I don't think they do it all that often. And to be fair, Kelsey Grammar's character and ship could actually make for an interesting story if done well. Old ship and crew ends up in the future.

Sounds like the actual EU story kinda sucked, though.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Gyges posted:

If everything after the Kelvin changed, then Riker and co never went back in time and Q never introduced humanity to the Borg. Anything in Enterprise which required the temporal tampering of someone further down the time stream is thus no longer cannon.

Branching timelines. That stuff did happen, but not in the current timeline. That is why you can have the Classic and JJTrek timelines working alongside each other. In pure Trek terms, JJTrek is just another mirror universe (of which Trek has a few, the most prominent being the one seen in TOS, DS9, and ENT).

In the JJTrek timeline, everything that happened prior to Nero appearing also happened in the Classic Trek timeline. Nero is the branching point.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

forever gold posted:

Star Trek Generations featured genuinely wondrous moments. The stuff about the Nexus is pure Star Trek, fascinating and interesting. The sequence where Picard gets caught up in it is compelling and makes you understand why the villain of that film wants to so desperately return to that place. Yea, the missile reaching the sun in a minute is dumb, but as far as science fiction/storytelling is concerned, that film is leaps and bounds better than Abrams' Star Trek.

The last third of Generations is so intensely bad that it drags the rest of the movie down. In no way is it a better movie in a storytelling sense just because it starts out in a fascinating manner.

It's like some gorgeous model that is having a really interesting conversation with you, right up to the point where they have the most prolific case of explosive diarrhea you've ever seen/experienced. Later on, you'll never look back and say "my, what an attractive and interesting model". You'll look back and say "That was tremendously lovely."

Star Trek Generations, folks. Tremendously lovely.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

forever gold posted:

(is there a memorable sequence from his entry in the Mission Impossible series?)

The climax of 3 when Hunt is rescuing his wife while the bomb in his head is getting ready to go off is absolutely fantastic and is probably my favorite sequences he's done (with the opening scene of Trek 09 being just about as good).

3 and Ghost Protocol were easily the two best of the MI series, both in plot and appearance.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Saw it earlier this evening and I have no complaints. loving fantastic movie. Certainly could be nitpicked to death, but it was so much fun it feels like nitpicking it would be totally missing the point. The movie never slowed down, and the plot never required it to.

Everything the movie did, even the callbacks and other cheesy bits, were just well done and fit their respective moments extremely well. The whole thing was way better than I expected, even as a fan of 09.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Danger posted:

Yea, I agree that it is a systemic issue, however I think it's asinine to say that "this isn't the place" for a part of that discussion.

Isn't there an entire thread somewhere in Cine Discusso (or possibly TV IV) dedicated to this white-washing topic? That would be the place to take in-depth discussion of that particular topic.

The Lord Bude posted:

So as someone who considers the 2009 movie a detestable rape of the Star Trek franchise

:allears:

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

The intense defensiveness is weird.

It's no weirder than the obsessive level of outrage that spawned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Darko posted:

I don't think a lot of the originally outraged people even knew that first casting was Del Toro, really, and Cumberbach was a last minute "impressive audition" when the former dropped out.

It would have certainly been interesting to see Del Toro in the role, although Cumberbatch was a pretty drat good replacement.

• Locked thread