Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

ColonelPanic posted:

but they could have done so much more with the reboot instead of repackaging old ideas in an ironic T-shirt.

There wasn't an OUNCE of irony in Trek 09.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Crappy Jack posted:

Both of which are acceptable because at least a non-white actor is getting a decent sized role. When that playing field is leveled, I'll be more than happy to point out how it sucks that that Puerto Rican actor is taking a role away from an actual Mexican actor or whatever, but when we're still at the stage when a major Puerto Rican role will be filled by a white actor with a tan and a horrible accent playing along a supporting cast of Puerto Rican actors, then it's still a problem and still something worthy of being pointed out and discussed.

That actually came up when the Korean John Cho was offered the Japanese role of Sulu - Takei pointed out that the character was a cultural representative of Asia in its entirety and not Japan specifically.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I hope he's playing the salt vampire. I love the salt vampire.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I think the TMP Enterprise is the best, and most ... what's the word, real? The most real-looking ship in all of ST.
There's probably a more technical word. Naturalistic? I don't know.
And it's brand new and shiny, and looks like it.

The TMP Enterprise isn't shiny at all, it's all matte gray and matte eggshell inside and out.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

TheBuilder posted:

Star Trek TPM had some interesting sets. I liked Kirk's quarters and the big crew meeting area, but the bridge was just too goddamned dark.

I like the constant presence of the ceilings and all those buttresses pushing into the frame. It felt very submariney at times.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It was supposed to be shiny, though. They had coated it in some pearlescent varnish which was apparently gorgeous beyond all belief but photographed horribly, so they emptied a few dozen cans of dullcote onto the model and welp

Ha, that's like how the monolith in 2001 was supposed to be clear but that also photographed horribly. They lucked out, the matte Enterprise looks great and there's not a lot of other ships that look like it colorwise, only the Millennium Falcon comes to mind.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I don't mean "shiny" as in, it reflects light or whatever, I mean, it's not decrepit at all (in TMP), it's tidy and new. I'm not good with words about how stuff looks in films.

It's not just a pretty ship, it's a pretty ship.

Ohhh, I follow ya. Yeah the exterior of it is grand as hell, the nacelles are practically art deco. I don't like the exterior of the JJ Enterprise, it feels pointlessly complicated, but you don't think the interiors looks pretty and new? I love the smoothness of everything, and I even love the totally illogical concrete of the engine room, it feels like when you see the kitchen of a fancy restaurant and it's just as utilitarian as any other kitchen.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

The TMP enterprise indeed blurs the lines between architecture and design. I think she also conveys her magnitude a lot better than all other ships. The thing they're flying in First Contact and Nemesis, I forgot the name, it's probably supposed to be twice as large as the Refit, but she doesn't look HUGE. She looks like the product of a billion bucks graphics department - which is some form of aesthetic; but, she doesn't look like she has actual, physical size.
The Refit looks huge.

A lot of it is that they have it both ways - super big AND super fast and maneuverable. It makes sense because future technology whatevs, but it feels less honest and comprehendible than the ponderous Enterprise and Enterprise D.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I still find it amazing how talented Robert Wise is as a director. The guy could direct any genre.

I love a lot of what he did (I will straight up marry The Haunting), but TMP and The Andromeda Strain in particular have this gorgeous vastness to them. I love the idea of going so wide with split diopters and deep focus on fairly constrained sets.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Looks like this:

It's basically bifocals for the camera so they can keep things far apart in focus like this:

They still use them a lot but they're usually much better at hiding the change in focus, lots of digital painting and strong line breaks. This shot from All the President's Men uses the same technique but much more subtly:

Robert Wise went balls out in TMP so there are these moments were two people are in focus and some machines around them, and everything else is fuzzy. It's really unworldly, I love it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DocHorror posted:

Im a philistine. I find nothing to like about the way ST09 was shot. Theres some good performances but I dont find it particularly engaging.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DocHorror posted:

That didnt win me over as I don't like that Enterprise. Ill fully adnit to being petty & unreasonable here.

I think that Enterprise is needlessly complicated too, but come on, they shot the hell out of that film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DocHorror posted:

I disagree. Okay it looked nice. But with modern special effects I'd expect nothing less. I just feel that they dont make films like they used to & that it too easy to be hyper kinetic rather than restrained.

Modern special effects have very little to do with the incredible framing and lighting in that film. Those shots of ships upside down and ships at long long distances do more to show the vastness and weirdness of space than just about anything else in the series since Wise took a crack at it.

Modern special effects with no artistry gives you First Contact. Beautiful, evocative, and thematically consistent framing gives you Star Trek 2009.

Who gives a poo poo if they make films like they used to? They shouldn't. Every era's films should look different.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

I know this might not be much more than a "Lens Flare!" joke, but ... from just the thumbnail, could you even tell this was not from JJTrek, but from TMP?

That's not really a lens flare joke, so you're in the clear, but I want to make it very, very clear to those in this thread who haven't seen the rules thread - lens flare jokes are probatable.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MrMo posted:

The problem with the 2009 movie isn't JJ's direction which, aside from some of his lighting choices, is great: but it's the writers. Seriously Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci have yet to write a script that I have enjoyed it seems like they got really lucky in paring up with two talented directors over the course of their careers who could shoot the hell out of movies so their writing almost never gets called into question. JJ Abrams can shoot really exciting emotionally investing scenes the real reason its never very engaging is because you don't actually ever care about the characters your just sucked into good visuals.

Nah it was a really good script and I got way invested in those characters. :shrug:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

CGI alien sidekick

That guy wasn't CGI, that was makeup.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

PeterWeller posted:

I thought evil alternate dimension Kirk also had a goatee.

No, just a sweet vest:

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Geekboy posted:

So many of the "fans" tend to forget all the skin on display, the slapstick humor, and all the flat out action that the series had at the beginning.

That's because so many fans are only fans of the gray tedium of Next Gen, which is the goddamn board game version of Star Trek.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

api call girl posted:

In the vein of DS9 discussion, I still think that Bab5 told a better "war is hell" story than DS9, once the main arc kicked into motion, anyway.

DS9 got real goofy when it did those heavy episodes, like the overacting LA waiter playing a hardened Federation badass with the necklace of ketracel white canisters around his neck. That whole thing was just trivial and silly.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Dark One posted:

Wasn't there an episode in the original series where the transporters were out, and they just ignored the fact that they had shuttlecraft? Like, straight up pretended that they didn't exist?

Are you thinking of The Galileo Seven, where they're stranded on that planet? They just said there were storms and they couldn't land.

e - forgot how much The Galileo Seven owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I4NtO6ieKM

penismightier fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 8, 2013

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Oh, that episode!

It always wasn't really a big deal because they had never mentioned the shuttles before in the series.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

It's been a while, but I think Pine said that he read somewhere that anyone eating an apple looks more confident whilst doing so.

A non-JJTrek-But-Trek-Movie-Based Question:

I don't get Khan's motivation and rationale in Wrath Of Khan. Here's a fiercely independent guy who was once a ruler of a chunk of Earth. Had nothing go wrong on Ceti Alpha V, Kahn would have been offended if Kirk had 'checked up' on him and his people. So why does he blame Kirk when a loving planet explodes, rendering his world a desert? I can explain being pissed in general, but not at Kirk specifically.

It seems like the whole plot would make more sense if Khan just wanted a ship to escape the planet, and Kirk was getting in his way.

MisterBibs posted:

I can somewhat accept that, but I have some trouble accepting that a Genetic Superman, who is regularly said to be extremely intelligent, would blame a fellow human for a planet exploding. There's round-the-bend, and there's genetically-augmented-pants-on-head.

Oh my god.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Hmm yeah that Star Trek has no history of putting their leads into combat situations. Sure never see a translator, or a navigator, or a counselor, or a scientist, or a doctor, or a captain, or an alien bartender, or a child, or a robot fighting bad guys. No sir. Not My Trek.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

NOT MY TREK.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

NOT MY TREK.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

To be fair, that's not really an action scene. There aren't any real shootouts in the TOS movies, aren't there? Just a bunch of mano a mano. Or rather, manomano a mano.

They never had good enough stunt choreography for shootouts.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

My first instinct was to say I'm glad they didn't, but then I remembered the scene where Spock and Kirk buddy cop their way through Nero's Vagina Dentata is actually decent.

The phaser massacre in 6 is terrific too. Phaser fire in general was underused in the TOS films, and overused in the TNG ones which had those idiotic universal remote-looking guns.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Y'all I feel odd about this since I've watched literally hundreds of hours of Star Trek but I really have to ask - what the gently caress is an Augment?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Khan and his people.

Oh, that makes sense. When do they call them that?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Been awhile since I've seen Wrath or Space Seed, but it's the preferred term for them in DS9 and Enterprise, that and DNA re-sequenced. Guess it sounds a little beter than eugenic superman.

They totally don't say that in DS9.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Punch-Out!! uppercut yields a cleaner flip, but there's more élan to the Khan golf swing punch.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Madurai posted:

There was that whole subplot arc with Bashir--what did they call him?

I think just genetically enhanced? I don't think there was a term, it's sticking in my mind because it feels really weird to see that as like a capitalized codified Bad Guy Race since Trek always played it as an individual character trait, not like a stat sheet figure with a consistent and purposed result, ya know? Does that make sense? It makes sense to me.

I'm not going anywhere with this, it's just interesting to me, like when I found out they never said "Ewok" in Jedi.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

And here I always thought people were unfair to call Star Trek fans pedantic bores, but this thread has opened my eyes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Aatrek posted:

The 2001 "Director's Edition" of The Motion Picture will not be available on Blu-ray until Paramount decides to pay for a recreation of all the CGI developed for that version of the film. The effects generated for the DVD were all built and rendered in 480p (standard definition), so until that is completely rebuilt and re-rendered for a high-definition release, we won't see it.

It's the only version of the film available on Blu-ray, so I say go for it - that is a pretty good price for the six-film set, even though the transfers could really use a "real" remastering.

What effects are only on the DVD? I never knew they did that.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Whoa, I always thought I'd seen the director's cut but I definitely have not.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DentArthurDent posted:

I posted this in one of the previous threads:

Villain cliches: "is evil."

Way to actually be more useless than loving TV Tropes.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

DentArthurDent posted:

Did you even read it? As the chart shows, many of the villains are not mustache-twirling evil. Or at least, once upon a time they weren't.

Yeah I read it, it's useless. "Tragic" is not a cliche. "Evil" is not a cliche. "Obsessed" is not a cliche. Those are cornerstones of drama.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

reignofevil posted:

I may simply be uninformed, but what exactly is exclusive about being a cornerstone of drama and a cliche?

I mean technically nothing, ya know, semantically - but the word "cliche" carries a lot of connotations, especially on the internet, that there's something wrong with it. There's not. There's nothing wrong with having a tragic villain. That's good!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Kirk always was supposed to be a diversion, wasn't he? The heart of it is Spock, the ship, and the rest of the crew. Kirk is just the blond sexy guy you put in front because the people with money think you need a blond sexy guy in front.

Not at all, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Some Other Guy posted:

I thought this was a good movie but it's kind of forgettable. The story could have been more original and I thought the vague teasers leading up to the movie were especially lame in light of the actual plot. It was better than any of the TNG movies, though that isn't saying much.

I'm glad you said that about the teasers because that obnoxiously coy marketing angle really worked against the film. If they had just given us the plot from the beginning the reveal would've worked much better. I'm anxious to watch this one in a few years out of the shadow of those posters and stuff.

• Locked thread