Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

Because Gremio.

You don't know how much it warms my heart to read this.

So, anyway. If for some reason you don't wanna watch Libertadores matches, there's going to be a very, very boring game between Grêmio and Bahia for the Copa do Brasil quarterfinals - 9pm GMT -3:00. Grêmio is up 2x1 and plays this game home, so there shouldn't be many surprises, although my fuckin' team loves to break down in spectacular fashion, so who knows. If we go through, we play Palmeiras in the semifinals, facing Big Phil, one of the best coaches we've ever had. That would be a classic match, actually, since Grêmio and Palmeiras had some insane games in the 90s, like these Libertadores quarterfinals with Palmeiras almost making up a 5-0 deficit from the first game.

Also, we hired Fábio Aurélio of Liverpool fame. Our leftbacks suck, so that's fine, but dude is made out of glass and is quite old so I don't really get it. Most of Grêmio's recent acquisitions are old and/or easily breakable players too - Zé Roberto, Gilberto Silva, Souza - and there's no decent defenders in the whole goddamn team. Meh.

EDIT: vvv He's currently out with a broken ankle, after playing about 15 matches for Grêmio. He was a starter in most of those matches, though, and played quite decently - nine goals, even if they were against horrible stateside teams. The crappy thing is that he's supposed to be out until July.

Dias fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vinestalk posted:

It must be scary as poo poo knowing Gilberto Silva is lining up as a CB in your defense. The guy barely had legs to run with when he left Arsenal 4 years ago.

Nah, what's truly scary is when you realize that even with no legs, he's still the best CB you can field. Grêmio's defense sucks.

I'm betting on La U to win the Libertadores, it's a pretty strong team that has momentum behind them and the capacity to reverse bad results. Actually, I'm fine with any team but Corinthians winning it, I don't think my mind could take a Corinthians - Chelsea match in the Club World Cup.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Well, not a lot of exciting matches in the Brasileirão this week. Inter x Flamengo was entertaining in a "god defense where are you" sense, but most teams are playing B-teams because of concurrent competitions/people having to play for the national team. Tomorrow we got:

Corinthians x Atlético-MG: This game should be kinda interesting. Corinthians is basically fielding their Libertadores semifinalist team and Atlético, aka the Galo - the Rooster or if you wanna make juvenile jokes, the Cock - is one of those teams that usually start off strong before their inevitable decline in the championship. So in paper it should be a decent match.

Coritiba x Botafogo: Coritiba has a pretty strong team. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it to finals for the Copa do Brasil. Botafogo...well, doesn't. But they define what we - and probably the rest of South America - call "paraguayan horses" - they look strong when the race starts, but slow down and don't actually win anything. Yet again, this should be a decent match.

Grêmio x Palmeiras: Other than Inter x Flamengo, this is the only actually interesting game this round, and a preview for the Copa do Brasil semis. No B-squads as far as I know, the only people out are injured players, and Palmeiras gets to play Valdívia, who's out for the first tie in the CdB after receiving his third yellow card.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

K-Flow posted:

I'm watching this game right now and am completely confused at Mancini being on the field. Wasn't he just sent to prison in November last year? I cannot find a single thing on google about him being released. Somebody please help me figure this out before my head explodes

I can't find anything either, it's probably stuck in legal hell and the guy got an habeas corpus to be able to play.

Polidoro: last year there were talks of the guy coming to Grêmio, I haven't heard anything this year yet. It'd be an welcome addition to our fragile as all hell defense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, a lot of people have issues with both not playing the Qualifiers and the teams we're playing against on those friendlies. But I'm feeling like Brazil will yet again flop in the World Cup, because we haven't really revealed great players lately. Neymar is the only one that has proved himself on an international level, all of our other prospects are just that, prospects. Also, we miss Fat Ronaldo. :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dj_pain posted:

They other thing that has been making GBS threads me is how they won't let neymar leave brazil. He is going to get a rude awakening when he starts playing against european teams. look at barcelona vs santo game, barcelona where running rings around them.

Eh, I'm actually in favor of that. South America as a whole has spent way too long just giving away young prospects to Europe, keeping only the bad and/or old players on their leagues. At least cough up a LOT of cash if you want our really good players. Plus, it gives them more time to mature instead of going to Milan, getting caught in the nightlife and loving everything up.

Brazil just began playing the U.S. Mutant Ninja Turtles or whatever that silly acronym means. There's this kid that's playing for Inter right now, Oscar, which a lot of people think is one of our best young players and I...eh.

ninja edit: and Neymar just scored a penalty kick.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

I'm given to understand there is some nightlife in Brazil too. I know what you mean, though.

Yeah, I meant more that they get overhyped, paid a lot of cash, and that plus being away from home and quite young leads to bad decisions.

That and the players that come for the Brazilian nightlife are the old ones, like Ronaldinho. :-P

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, Brazil. Goddamnit that was a bad bad game. We were actually outplaying Mexico until that bizarre first goal, and then everything fell apart. Marcelo was probably our best player on the pitch again, everyone else ranged from mediocre to really fuckin' bad - hi Juan. It was so awful it actually made me physically sick. Okay, maybe that was just sleep deprivation and spending the past few days on a crappy bus, but the match didn't help.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They also have Jô. Well, Minas is known for cachaça...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Grêmio lost 2-0 home to Palmeiras for the first leg of the Copa do Brasil semis. I was there. I hate myself and everyone else right now.

Also, São Paulo and Coritiba are tying 0-0 on the other semi right now, but gently caress that game too.

I'm depressed. :smith:

EDIT: São Paulo scored with Lucas, game is now 1-0, the world is still a terrible place.

Dias fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 15, 2012

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

Alcides Ghiggia the man who scored Uruguay's second goal in the 1950 final is in an induced coma after a car accident. I think he's the last survivor of the 1950 champions :(

Yep. Fuerza Ghiggia was a trending topic in Brazil for a while, courtesy of Impedimento.org, a really good blog about South American football if you can read some Portuguese.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Weaponized Cum posted:

New Brazilian stalwart Romarinho doing it big in the Libertadores final

Goddamnit, I'm pissed about that. Whoever doesn't support Corinthians in Brazil is behind Boca on this one and that goal out of a guy that's pretty much no one as of now leaves a sour taste in our mouth. :-(

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be more precise, games are played on weekends, usually at 4pm and 6:30pm GMT -3:00, so do the math for your timezone. After Libertadores is over, there will be matches on Wednesday and Thursday too, at 7:30pm, 8:30pm, 9pm and 9:45pm, since teams need to catch up on games postponed because of the cups.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Football is the stage of some ridiculous moments, that's why it's so awesome to watch. Like defending a penalty while down four players and afterwards scoring on a crazy run thru the field to win a promotion game by 1-0.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9eiMu-D78Y

Also, Botafogo hiring Seedorf. That's also quite ridiculous.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

GravityDaemon posted:

Is this actually happening? I haven't read anything official yet.

Yep. Confirmed by Botafogo a couple hours ago. It's gonna be great when Seedorf commits suicide after having all his good passes and plays wasted by Botafogo's stupid strikers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Drogadon posted:

Wasn't that Anderson's last game with Gremio? Did he go to Porto right after that?

Yep, we were pretty much forced to sell him because the team was broke. He basically went out as an instant legend, tho.

Oh, did I say broke? Nice segue to my new segment: "gently caress MY STUPID LIFE AND TEAM". On today's gently caress MY STUPID LIFE AND TEAM, Fábio Aurélio, who was recently hired by Grêmio and about to make his debut appearance playing for the team this very Sunday, injured himself in training today and could spend up to six loving goddamn months out. gently caress.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Managers in Brazil have little control over transfers, usually they work with what they get and just suggest a couple of names or so. Felipão has actually complained about that recently in Palmeiras, that he asks for certain players and completely different ones are hired. Most of the time, they're expected to get results fast, whether it's avoiding relegation, getting a Libertadores spot or winning a cup. If they do it, they stay on and get "assigned" a new set of results to strive for. Otherwise, it's bye-bye coach.

But it's not really just up to board either: they come and go according to what the supporters think of them at the moment too. Even if they didn't do that bad, if we think they should go, they end up going. For most clubs, managers make quite convenient scapegoats sometimes - it's easier to hire a new coach than, you know, good players. Plus, it's also cheaper, which is VERY important.

One could say all of this is basically ingrained into Brazilian football culture by now. We were always more about talent than tactics, with no need for long-term planning because we spawned new stars so often, and that explains why managers are relegated to a second plane - only recently this has started to change, with an attempt by some clubs to make squads last, like São Paulo in 2005 - 2008.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You know what, I might as well start drinking now, because Corinthians winning this is a sign that the times are ending. And Boca is not really doing well enough to give me hope for a tie or a comeback...

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Just start watching Grêmio games and join the interminable suffering that has been supporting this goddamn club in the 00s.

I still can't believe Corinthians won. I mean, who the gently caress are we supposed to mock for not having any international titles? Fluminense? C'mon.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm watching Grêmio holding desperately to a qualified goal lead. This is going to go bad.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, we lost that lead, 3-1, I basically gave up and WE SCORE AT THE 90TH MINUTE gently caress YEAH

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Polidoro posted:

Haha, Santos president said Ganso has an "incurable" injury and that's why he's happy about selling him. Is there no return policy for player transfers?

He's just being a butthurt bitch. Most managers and presidents tend to be.

I think Fluminense has got this season on the bag. If either Grêmio or Atlético-MG won last Sunday's match, they'd still be in contention, but now...eh. But stranger things have happened and the last few years the title has been decided on a series of chokes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sudamericana games are either very exciting, very boring or a weird, nonsensical mix of the two. That's because teams tend to either not give a gently caress at all about it, or see it as the only chance to raise a trophy in the whole year. So you get lots of B-squads, upsets and matches where sides play very inconsistently.

Grêmio had to sweat blood to win against Barcelona-EQU, even if we had moments of dominance during the match. Having someone sent off didn't help either. The divided attention between Sudamericana and Brasileirão makes watching the squad in the first tournament pretty weird. No one went "well, gently caress Suda, who cares" yet, but you can sense that everyone would much rather try for the national league title.

That being said, Suda makes for silly football, hehe.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A poo poo game between two poo poo teams didn't happen because of poo poo lights in a poo poo stadium. Seems very appropriate.

I guess Brazil wins the worthless title by default?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vinestalk posted:

Brazil's youth bought into their own hype too much and, truth be told, some of them aren't really that good.

Most of them.

Really, this Brazilian generation isn't very good. Our flagship player is basically Robinho 2.0. Most young players that could develop into great, national-level players end up being co-opted by European teams and rotting on the reserves; others do exactly what Vinestalk said: believe they are better than they actually are, and hubris is a bitch.

2014 is gonna suck. :smith:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
gently caress ALL Y'ALL WE'RE ON THE GROUP STAGE FOR LIBERTADORES

man that almost sucked god bless Marcelo Grohe and Elano

Also, Vargas is awesome. Best acquisition so far. I think this might've been the toughest game we'll have until Round of 16.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Group 8 makes no sense, everyone has three points, everyone loses home games, Fluminense ate a 0-3 today, Jardel is our lucky amulet. Also, Barcos. :allears:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

hecko posted:

Insua is having a great season at Velez, and Pratto is a beast! too bad Boca let it go.
Gremio actually lost against Huachipato at home? I saw a bit of their game against Caracas today and they were awful.

We did. 2-0. It was dumb and I was salty. Wasn't dumb luck either.

EDIT: 2-1, actually, but I was so pissed off I forgot about the penalty kick in our favor.

Dias fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 21, 2013

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
In teams you don't care news, Grêmio won the first leg against Independiente 2-1 playing home. Cris, you are a gigantic rear end in a top hat and I hope you die a very painful death, hopefully inflicted by a fellow gremista. It's the second time in two games you pick up a red card, this time giving up a penalty kick. You stupid, useless bald piece of poo poo. I hate you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dj_pain posted:

Hey guys world cup qualifiers are on in about 5 hours

I guess it's that time I have to hate you all.

Well, seeing that Brazil is the host, you don't need to hate us. That and I'll be hating us enough for the whole continent anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gigi Galli posted:

I'm on my phone but people should look this up. He beats two defenders and puts one right in the top corner. Lovely goal.

They should also look up Renato's daughter, really.

I'm really skeptical of the guy's skill as a coach, but I really want him to do well because he's our biggest idol and a Cool Dude.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
You guys might appreciate an update on the State of The Brazilian Championship.

Cruzeiro is in first with an 11-point lead. Then there's 6 points between fourth and fifth. And 10 points between 5th and 16th.

It's boring.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Can we agree that the 90s were shady as gently caress when it came to weird out-of-nowhere promotions and not-relegations? I don't think there was a bias, it's just that the CBF was even more corrupt and insane than it is right now. Even when Grêmio came back in 1993, it was this weird thing where they went "you know what, EVERYONE IS PROMOTED gently caress IT gently caress THE SÉRIE B" and I can't tell how much of that was just to save Grêmio because drat that's a bizarre move.

Anyway, I think that has subsided a little in recent times. Nowadays, our referees are just plain incompetent. But I'm all for calling Rio and São Paulo teams ref-favored, because hell if it doesn't feel like that sometimes. It might be just the overwhelming media coverage and the "everyone's darling, 'moleque'" team narrative they push every time one of those teams start doing well, with stupid nicknames and haircuts abound. When that starts, I can't for the life of me figure out why the ref would call something that's not a piledriver on their players because I just wanna see them bleed UGH.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

joepinetree posted:

I guess not only the 90s, huh?

For those of you not following the Brazilian league: Fluminense is likely to avoid playing the second division due to extra-field maneuvers (the third time Flu would avoid serie B in about 17 years due to extra field crap). Why? Apparently Portuguesa, a tiny team from Sao Paulo, used a player that was suspended in their last match, which would make them lose just enough points to fall behind Flu. And the circumstances for that are shady as gently caress, for the surprise of no one:

- Heverton, Portuguesa's midfielder, went to judgement on friday. Portuguesa's lawyer claimed that he was suspended just for the one game that he had already served, so he played on sunday. On monday, Portuguesa got an official notification that Heverton had been suspended. The fact that portuguesa only got the official word after the game shouldn't matter, claims the representative for the Brazilian sports justice court (pre-judging the case before it even came up to him), because they had a lawyer present on friday (who, again, told portuguesa the punishment was only 1 game, already served, not 2). To make matters worse, Portuguesa's lawyer wasn't actually hired by Portuguesa, but appointed by CBF.

But I guess it is only a massive coincidence that it is Flu again that will likely avoid relegation based on that, huh?

I doubt they're gonna take points from Portuguesa based on that, honestly. I'm too lazy to find examples, but that's not the first time in recent years someone tried that same manuever after getting relegated. It doesn't tend to stick, even if Fluminense is a fair bit bigger than the clubs that usually try doing that.

However, if it works, gently caress Fluminense and CBF.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Can we relegate Internacional too somehow? I dunno, there's gotta be a way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://globoesporte.globo.com/futeb...e-se-salva.html

Welp. So...I guess Portuguesa ate the punishment and Fluminense stayed in Série A. Thing is, it's a reasonable decision from the law's standpoint, because they played someone that shouldn't be able to play, but the fact that these type of appeals usually don't work, the situation surrounding the case is a bit shady, AND it being Fluminense, king of avoiding Série B leaves me very upset.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

professor muthafukkah posted:

Ronaldinho and his brother/agent are both pieces of poo poo. They do this every single time that Ronaldinho is speculated in the transfer market. Last time if I am not mistaken he had agreed contract with Grêmio (his childhood club) but was still in talks with Flamengo and Corinthians. He ended up at Flamengo.

Palmeiras, actually. And yeah, Ronaldinho is a oval office, and so is his brother. He left Grêmio in...interesting circumstances, in 2001. A lot of fans hated him for it, but a fair amount of people blamed it on his (and the board of directors') naiveness, plus Assis being an rear end in a top hat. Then, when he decided to return to Brazil, Grêmio obviously jumped on that ASAP, and apparently his brother guaranteed that he would sign for us...except he did the same for three other teams. He started a scummy bid war for the dude, and now Ronaldinho couldn't save face by saying he was too young to understand what was going on.

joepinetree posted:

He started out OK, but then like the rest of Inter became a mess midway through the season, and the fact that Inter had a glut of foreigners (Dalessandro, Scocco, Datolo for most of the year, Bolatti) meant that he often couldn't play.

Botafogo isn't known for amazing hiring decisions. And yeah, Forlan was pretty mediocre playing for Inter. Most of the hyped Internacional players were mediocre, really. I have a personal theory about D'Alessandro basically managing the team and ruining players he doesn't like, but it comes from me being a Grêmio supporter and thinking he's a massive fuckhead.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gigi Galli posted:

This rules, but surely both teams but out a second or third choice side.

Well, according to Globoesporte, 24 out of the 26 USMNT players called for January camp got playtime. Also, Jadson and Luis Fabiano scored for São Paulo. So I'm guessing it was a mix between first team, bench and reserves for both sides. Doesn't mean anything, but haha USA can't even beat a mid-table Brasileirão squad haha.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Grêmio's 2-0 on the so-called Group of Death for this Libertadores.

how

As my brother put it, they're probably just charging the Disappointment Buster for later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Troy Queef posted:

No, but they do have crazy legal challenges to being relegated, which result in weird tournaments like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Jo%E3o_Havelange

The good ol' Fluminense maneuver.

But Flamengo has a historic of being shite for the first leg of the championship and then magically finding cash for new players, paying off the five months of owed players' wages that are making mediocre footballers even worse and getting some clutch referee calls in their favor.