Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I'm still not 100% convinced the EDL aren't an entirely satirical performance art project on how not to do fascism.

Also "On Friday, nobody - Muslim, Jew, Christian or atheist - can escape the call to prayer that blasts out from dozens of loudspeakers." has clearly been written by someone who's never been down Whitechapel Road on a Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

It's worth pointing out that the National Front aren't a defunct group, those fascists are still active and busy losing elections
http://londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/results-and-past-elections/live-results-2012?contest=32
http://londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/results-and-past-elections/live-results-2012?contest=30
http://londonelects.org.uk/im-voter/results-and-past-elections/live-results-2012?contest=33

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

KayTee posted:

Posting, however to share the latest brainfart from the British Freedom Party, official political voice of the EDL.

Headlines from the UK in the year 2030

I cannot stress enough that they actually believe this poo poo

These headlines are terribly written. No editor worth their salt would let those get printed, they're not punchy enough.

Also lol like there's gonna be a newspaper industry in 20 years (at the current rates of circulation decline).

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Awkward.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

What's this Rebel EDL poo poo? Can't imagine why the gently caress they'd want to go to Stokes Croft, I'd have thought they're in actual danger of getting their faces smashed in there.

Reasoning and logic is not the EDLs strong point remember.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

The EDL support a ban on christianity

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

cross posting ahoy! Here's why the British railway unions are still loving ace http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nt-8099812.html

Independent posted:

King’s Cross staff threaten walk out in protest at EDL using station as demonstration rallying point

Passengers travelling to the Paralympics face major disruption today after staff at King’s Cross in London vowed to walk out in protest at supporters of the far-right English Defence League using the station as a rallying point for a demonstration in the north of the capital. Staff members have complained that they faced abuse at the hands of the EDL as they headed to a similar protest last year. A spokesman for the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers (RMT) said staff would take the step – in a bid to close the Underground station - in order to protect themselves and the public.

“Staff will walk away from work on the grounds of safety, if nothing else,” said an RMT spokesman yesterday. He added: “we are talking about an organisation which has a track record of violence and our staff have reported problems in the past.” RMT members have privately talked about shutting the station down. However, their bosses at Transport for London insisted yesterday that the station would remain open and said that their talks with the Metropolitan Police and British Transport Police indicated no immediate danger to staff or to the public.

Police sought to ban last year’s march, which saw clashes between the EDL and their opponents, and staff at King’s Cross closed the entrance to the tube for around half an hour.

Staff are understood to be unhappy with the approach to last year’s EDL demonstration in Walthamstow. Some said they have decided to take action themselves to stop the group travelling from the station to Blackhorse Road tube station in north London, where this year’s march is due to start. Some of those involved are also believed to be ideologically opposed to the EDL and will seek to block their march if possible. Plans seen by the Independent indicate that some staff at King’s Cross station are planning to “organise halting [the marchers] getting on to the system in the first place”. The plans continue: “The obvious point of exit is Blackhorse Road. We need to close this station down (as opposed to just withdrawing to places of safety) and then Walthamstow when the risk is transferred.

“We mustn’t do this too early because we’ll only hinder the counter demonstration that’s assembling at Walthamstow at 11. In other words, we close Blackhorse Road and Walthamstow stations at the point when the risk actually presents itself. We need to draft up a simple pro forma on refusal to work on the grounds of health and safety on account of the serious and imminent risk presented by the EDL to staff and passengers." In an email, organisers said they planned to “refuse to work, close the station and insist that the service [does not stop there] as a result.”

They said they expected around 500 EDL members to attend the demonstration and anti-EDL groups have vowed to hold counter demonstrations. A TfL spokesperson said: “The safety of our staff and customers is our first priority. We have been working closely with the British Transport Police and Metropolitan Police and there is no known threat to our staff or our customers. We have no plans to close either King’s Cross or Blackhorse Road stations.”

EDL leader Stephen Yaxley-Lennon did not respond to requests for comment. However, the group has repeatedly insisted that it is non-violent but, since it does not have a formal membership structure, cannot control every member of a march.

gently caress yeah!

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Tee hee hee

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

StoicFnord posted:

Dear god I hope not. Cambridge is bad enough without that sort of shitdick.

Anwyay, avoiding the Derail. Looks like the EDL are making another attempt in Walthamstow. Oct 27th.

ref: http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/wfnews/9920143.WALTHAMSTOW__EDL_plan_to_march_again/

Yes, same day as this http://anarchistbookfair.org.uk/ is being held in the east end.

I'm sure there will be no problems (kicking the crap out of the fash)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Wow that's a whole bag of crazy. I never realised that the left were ultimately responsible for right wing manifestos that result in a car bombing and murdered children, how could I have been so stupid.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

What the hell happened to google?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

The evil muslamic British Government is trying to get Tommeh killed, according to "totally not part of the EDL" British Freedom

British Freedom's bullshit press release posted:

We have just heard that Tommy Robinson has been incarcerated in London’s Wandsworth Prison, sharing a cell with Muslims on a wing full of Muslims screaming death threats at him.

This is how the authorities react to those who try to warn Britain of the greatest threat to national peace and security since the Second World War.

The British Government is hereby forewarned that should any harm come to Tommy Robinson in prison, they will be held to account.

The Government has a duty of care to all prisoners, not to go out of their way to place them in potential danger for vindictive or political reasons.

British Freedom are actively seeking the advice of lawyers on this matter. Meanwhile, we invite all friends and supporters of Tommy Robinson to write your messages of friendship and support below; we will do our best to convey them to him to strengthen him in this difficult time.

Obviously they're unaware we have a perfectly functional security service who are capable of killing him at their discretion.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Kevin Carroll (EDL candidate for Bedfordshire PCC Elections) was only ever going to get elected if there was a pathetically low turnout. Unfortunately there was a pathetically low turnout of >20% and the silent majority who support the EDL have continued to be silent, as he has apparently come 4th out of the 5 candidates.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Paul "Stephen "Tommy Robinson" Lennon" Harris got 10 months http://news.sky.com/story/1034468/edl-leader-lennon-jailed-for-passport-offence

Sky News posted:

EDL Leader Lennon Jailed For Passport Offence

Stephen Lennon, 30, pleaded guilty to possession of a false identity document with improper intention, contrary to the Identity Documents Act 2010, at Southwark Crown Court.

Lennon used a passport in the name of Andrew McMaster to board a Virgin Atlantic Flight from Heathrow to New York, but was caught out after his fingerprints were taken by customs officials.

He left the airport and entered the US illegally but left the country the following day, using his own passport to return to the UK.

The court heard that Lennon, who had previously been refused entry to the US, used his friend's passport to travel to the country in September.

He used a self check-in kiosk to board the Virgin Atlantic flight at Heathrow, and was allowed through when the document was checked in the bag drop area.

But when he arrived at New York's JFK Airport, customs officials who took his fingerprints realised he was not Mr McMaster.

Lennon was asked to attend a second interview but left the airport, entering the US illegally.

He stayed just one night and travelled back to the UK the following day using his own legitimate passport - which bears the name Paul Harris.

The court heard that is the name that appears on the EDL leader's passport, although he uses aliases.

Lennon, who was arrested in October, was jailed for 10 months.

The court heard that he was previously jailed for assault in 2005 and also has previous convictions for drugs offences and public order offences.

Sentencing the 30-year-old, Judge Alistair McCreath, told him: "I am going to sentence you under the name of Stephen Lennon although I suspect that is not actually your true name, in the sense that it is not the name that appears on your passport.

"What you did went absolutely to the heart of the immigration controls that the United States are entitled to have.

"Had it been known in this country that you were proposing to leave under a false passport, you would not have been accepted on to the plane and you would not have been permitted to leave this country on a false passport.

"It's not in any sense trivial."

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 7, 2013

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Meanwhile... http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/shortcuts/2013/feb/01/disco-dance-edl-google-facebook

Graun posted:

How to disco dance the EDL off Google and Facebook

Last autumn, four London-based friends, who prefer to remain anonymous, got to talking about reappropriating the acronym EDL from the English Defence League and "putting it to better use".

It started as a joke but they soon realised that it could become a more ambitious campaign. So they formed the English Disco Lovers and wrote a manifesto expressing their aim to oust the existing EDL from the top of Google's search results and outdo them on Facebook. They even have a logo, a shield-shaped mirrorball, and a Latin motto: Unus Mundus, Una Gens, Una Disco (One World, One Race, One Disco).

"I don't think any of us could say we were disco fans before," they explain via email, "but as we've heard more and grown to understand the message, we've found ourselves identifying with it. Disco has always been a scapegoat for racism and homophobia. English Disco Lovers is turning the tables in favour of equality and respect."

The disco EDL's methods echo satirical Google bombing campaigns such as writer Dan Savage's successful 2003 effort to make "santorum" a lurid sexual euphemism in response to Senator Rick Santorum's homophobic comments. But by enlivening a serious point with playful humour, they are also true to disco's hidden politics.

The late 70s disco boom coincided with the surging popularity of the National Front and the musical counter-attack of Rock Against Racism, but there was little overlap. RAR called for "Crisis music. Now music. Music that knows who the real enemy is," which meant punk and reggae, not the seemingly cheerful hedonism of disco.

However, disco grew out of marginalised subcultures – black, Latino and gay – with an inherent message of unity and self-expression. Some records made this explicit. The lyrics to the O'Jays' Love Train, the proto-disco anthem quoted in the EDL's manifesto, were written by politically committed Philadelphia soul kingpin Kenny Gamble. Chic's Nile Rodgers prided himself on sneaking veiled political messages into the band's colossal hits.

Today the disco EDL stepped up their campaign by launching a website. They've had some hate mail from the other EDL, of course, but the scale of the positive response, including over 10,000 Facebook likes and offers of practical support from musicians and promoters, has surprised them. Even if it began as a joke, the English Disco Lovers' deployment of wit and fun as weapons against belligerent xenophobia is a fine tribute to disco's subversive utopian vision.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Covering your face is a pretty good idea though? Unless you like being on file with ol' Bob I guess.
Sometimes it's not your choice though

Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 / Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 posted:

60 Powers to stop and search in anticipation of violence.
(1) If a police officer of or above the rank of inspector reasonably believes—
(a) that incidents involving serious violence may take place in any locality in his police area, and that it is expedient to give an authorisation under this section to prevent their occurrence, or
(b) that persons are carrying dangerous instruments or offensive weapons in any locality in his police area without good reason,
he may give an authorisation that the powers conferred by this section are to be exercisable at any place within that locality for a specified period not exceeding 24 hours.

60AA Powers to require removal of disguises
(1)Where—
(a)an authorisation under section 60 is for the time being in force in relation to any locality for any period, or
(b)an authorisation under subsection (3) that the powers conferred by subsection (2) shall be exercisable at any place in a locality is in force for any period,those powers shall be exercisable at any place in that locality at any time in that period.

(2)This subsection confers power on any constable in uniform—
(a)to require any person to remove any item which the constable reasonably believes that person is wearing wholly or mainly for the purpose of concealing his identity;
(b)to seize any item which the constable reasonably believes any person intends to wear wholly or mainly for that purpose.

(3)If a police officer of or above the rank of inspector reasonably believes—
(a)that activities may take place in any locality in his police area that are likely (if they take place) to involve the commission of offences, and
(b)that it is expedient, in order to prevent or control the activities, to give an authorisation under this subsection,he may give an authorisation that the powers conferred by this section shall be exercisable at any place within that locality for a specified period not exceeding twenty-four hours.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

hmmmmm

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Simon Childs has written his thing http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/i-was-arrested-for-trying-to-cover-saturdays-edl-rally

Vice posted:

I WAS ARRESTED FOR TRYING TO REPORT ON SATURDAY'S EDL RALLY

Boredom is the British state's primary means of political repression. In Madrid, Athens and Rome, the cops hurl out the tear gas; in London, they bore you to tears. Granted, horrifying stuff has happened to protesters at the hands of the British police – and they're not doing badly in the global surveillance stakes – but their bread and butter is boredom.

I got some first-hand experience of this myself after I was arrested while reporting at an anti-fascist demonstration on Saturday afternoon. Militant anti-fascists had taken to the streets to confront the marauding punchline that is the English Defence League, and – as is often the case with journalists – I was there to cover the occasion.

Unfortunately, the anti-EDL march had defied the Met's strict itinerary and set off 15 minutes early, which was reason enough for the police to kettle the antifa crowd for hours on end. Eventually, we were arrested en masse. They ended up releasing most people with restrictive bail conditions that make it pretty much illegal for them to protest against fascists (or, in my case, report on those protests) in London until at least late October.

As the kettle closed in, I realised that had I been standing ten metres in either direction, I'd have avoided arrest. Instead, I was stuck there. Consensus was sure that once the EDL had been sent packing, we'd all be released. After all, what would be the point in detaining us if there were no fascists for antifa to fight?

We were wrong. As the hours ticked by, there was still no sign of the EDL but ominously the police started to wheel portaloos into the kettle. We kicked our feet and slowly ran out of cigarettes. Then word started filtering through that arrests were being made in another kettle and the tedium turned into agitation. Some empty red double-deckers rolled into view. Anyone who could remember the recent BNP march in London realised immediately what this meant: we were all going to be arrested. Some decided it was better to get it over with and formed a queue towards the cuffs. Others hung back, but we were all arrested in the end.

I was led off by a member of the City of London Police. Somewhere near the beginning of his questions, he interrupted himself, looked me in the eyes and said, “I just want to let you know that I get no pleasure at all from doing this.” I wasn’t sure if it made it better or worse that we were both having a poo poo time.

Things really got awkward when we got on the bus. With the bottom deck full of bored looking protesters each with their own bored looking cop, I was led to the top deck. Unfortunately me and my policeman were the only people up there. The cop seemed pretty determined to make friends, so we exchanged stilted small talk all the way to Lewisham Police Station, like two strangers at a house party trapped by common courtesy and a queue for the toilet. He admitted that he was content in his job 90 percent of the time, but wasn't too happy about the way today had gone.

He told me that he didn’t really like the EDL. His parents were Spanish and had fled to England when the Spanish Civil War ended, having fought against the fascists. The EDL are hardly Franco, but it seemed a little miserable that the son of people who had risked their lives to fight fascism was currently rounding up anti-fascists and journalists.

After arriving at Lewisham police station, we were all led out to join a queue of about 15 other protesters. As time went by, the queue increasingly resembled the line for the world's most paranoid nightclub, one overzealous bouncer to every punter. Nothing really happened for about four hours. There was more awkward small talk between cops and perps. Absolutely nobody wanted to be there.

At all times, from my arrest onwards, I'd taken every opportunity to point out that I am a journalist, not a protester. It made absolutely no difference. Eventually, we made it inside to a little caged waiting room. Just before I was processed, my arresting officer was given leave to go home. He tapped me and said, “Take it easy, buddy.” Frankly I wasn't being given much option, so I continued to take it easy at her Majesty's pleasure.

I was called in and stood behind a counter while my rights were read to me, before I was photographed and had my fingerprints taken. This made me think the whole thing was more an exercise in intelligence gathering, rather than simply being a lazy way of ensuring there were no clashes in Tower Hamlets that day.

I was put in a cell. This was just until they had verified that I was who I said I was, they explained. This despite that fact they had already asked me for my address about five times, checked my name against my cards and then again against the electoral roll.

I think I was in there for half an hour or so. It was long enough to check out the bed (thin), use the toilet (acceptable) and do a lot of pacing (tax-funded quad workout). At around 2.30AM, they gave me my stuff back and let me out of the huge enforced queue I'd been waiting in for over 12 hours. It was then I discovered that – like most of the others who'd been arrested – I was now on bail and would have to go back to the station for questioning in October, after which I could potentially be charged. My bail conditions are "not to engage in demonstration within the boundaries of the M25 where the English Defence League, English Volunteer Force or British National Party are present". Effectively they've made it a crime for me to report on the EDL. Which is bullshit.

By the time I was at the station, the police were well aware that I was a journalist. The General Secretary of the National Union of Journalists, as well as a number of colleagues and friends, had called the station vouching for me. I wasn’t fully aware of this at the point and no police officer ever acknowledged my position as a journalist. A bunch of drunken racists regularly taking to the streets is a pretty big deal and people have a right to be informed about it, meaning I should probably have a right to write about it.

Around 280 anti-fascists were arrested on Saturday. Reports suggest that, other than the few who'd been charged for GBH or resisting police arrest, they all got the same bail conditions as I did. The police have used their powers in a way that means large numbers of people who wanted to speak out against stampeding bigots will face arrest if they do so until late October. In nearly all cases, their crime was to be present at an anti-fascist march that started 15 minutes early. With only eight of the EDL being arrested, the police are leaving themselves wide open to allegations of bias in favour of the far right and against their opponents.

The police will argue that, no matter what your political stripes, if you transgress the conditions of a protest, you’re nicked (and to be fair, I do remember the police kettling the EDL for hours in Walthamstow and giving them similar treatment). On the one hand, that seems fair. But it also means that you basically can't do anything beyond ineffectual banner waving.

Somewhere during the student protests of 2011, the police realised that boredom was their best weapon. Beating up lefties looks really bad in the press, but a kettle makes for boring copy. Saturday's arrests were weaponised bureaucracy, a brilliantly British tactic of punishing people so mundanely that they won't even have a decent story to tell their mates once it's over. They're trying to make street politics so boring that no kid would ever be bothered to join in. I’m not saying I’d rather live somewhere where the police are likely to kick the eyes out of your head before they’ve even asked you a question, but political policing in this country is all the more effective for its subtlety.

The last paragraph, it's all so true :(

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Sri.Theo posted:

Are you serious? I can't think of one that is, but maybe we hang around in different parts of Tower Hamlets!

No the pubs in Tower Hamlets are open, but the EDL weren't allowed to go there and stayed in the city, where the pubs are mostly closed on Saturday & Sunday.

Also in other news Tommeh has apparently shown up at the 9/11 memorial in London today for a photo op, and displaced the victims families who were there. What a grade A oval office.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Oh and I've a question, near where I live there's this house with a great big george cross flag on the side of it, with the words 'this flag flies with pride' embroidered on it.

I was always really confused why you'd stick that on your house but I noticed some of the EDL folks seem to have a fondness for writing on flags and I was wondering if I might have discovered the local chapter of the EDL or something.

:bustem: for not having planning consent, say you're terribly offended by it being defaced with writing or some such bollox

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/15438/flying_flags_guide.pdf

Plain English Guide to flying flags, Department for Communities and Local Government posted:

The Government has recently made changes to regulations which widen the types of flags which you may fly in England. This guide provides a brief summary of the new, more liberalised, controls over flag flying that were introduced on 12 October 2012.

(a) Flags which do not need consent
The recent changes allow a wider range of national, sub-national, community and international flags. The full list of flags that do not require consent are:
    (a) Any country’s national flag, civil ensign or civil air ensign;
    (b) The flag of the Commonwealth, the European Union, the United Nations or any
    other international organisation of which the United Kingdom is a member;
    (c) A flag of any island, county, district, borough, burgh, parish, city, town or village
    within the United Kingdom;
    (d) The flag of the Black Country, East Anglia, Wessex, any Part of Lincolnshire,
    any Riding of Yorkshire or any historic county within the United Kingdom;
    (e) The flag of Saint David;
    (f) The flag of Saint Patrick;
    (g) The flag of any administrative area within any country outside the United
    Kingdom;
    1 (h) Any flag of Her Majesty’s forces;
    (i) The Armed Forces Day flag.

The above flags or their flagpoles must not display any advertisement or subject matter additional to the design of the flag

nooo my flag pride :qq:

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Apparently it's all over. How will they fare without their Glorious Leader?

http://www.quilliamfoundation.org/press-releases/quilliam-facilitates-tommy-robinson-leaving-the-english-defence-league/

e: their site is hosed under load so

Quilliam Foundation posted:

QUILLIAM FACILITATES TOMMY ROBINSON LEAVING THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE
POSTED IN: 2013, PRESS RELEASES | OCTOBER 8, 2013 AT 08:47
Quilliam is proud to announce that Tommy Robinson and Kevin Carroll, the leaders of the anti-Islamist group, the English Defence League (EDL), have decided to leave the group. Having set up the EDL, infamous for its street protests, in 2009, they wish to exit this group, because they feel they can no longer keep extremist elements at bay.
    Tommy Robinson said:

“I have been considering this move for a long time because I recognise that, though street demonstrations have brought us to this point, they are no longer productive. I acknowledge the dangers of far-right extremism and the ongoing need to counter Islamist ideology not with violence but with better, democratic ideas.”
Quilliam has been working with Tommy to achieve this transition, which represents a huge success for community relations in the United Kingdom. We have previously identified the symbiotic relationship between far-right extremism and Islamism and think that this event can dismantle the underpinnings of one phenomenon while removing the need for the other phenomenon.

We hope to help Tommy invest his energy and commitment in countering extremism of all kinds, supporting the efforts to bring along his former followers and encouraging his critique of Islamism as well as his concern with far-right extremism. We call all of Tommy’s former colleagues in the EDL to follow in his footsteps and also call on Islamist extremist leaders to follow this example and leave their respective groups. Tommy and Kevin believe the voice they have created can be channelled in a positive direction. Quilliam stands ready to facilitate such moves across the spectrum.
    Quilliam Chairman and Co-Founder Maajid Nawaz said:

“As well as being a very positive change for the United Kingdom, this is a very proud moment for Quilliam. This represents not a change but a continuation for us, as challenging extremism of all kinds forms the basis of our work. We have been able to show that Britain stands together against extremism regardless of political views and hope to continue supporting Tommy and Kevin in their journey to counter Islamism and neo-Nazi extremism.”
We are hosting a press conference for Tommy Robinson and Kevin Carroll’s departure from the EDL at an undisclosed location in London today, 8 October 2013 at 6:30pm and will field all questions then. Entrance will be strictly conditional on the presentation of press passes; please contact media@quilliamfoundation.org or call 020 7182 7275 or 020 7182 7278 if you would like to attend and more details will be provided but please do not RSVP if you are not press.

It could all just be bollox though fingers crossed it ain't

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 8, 2013

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Oh dear. http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov...0021&CaseType=B

code:
Insolvency Case Details

Case Name	NICHOLAS JOHN GRIFFIN
Court		Welshpool and Newtown County Court
Type		Bankruptcy
Number		0000038
Case Year	2013
Order Date	02 January 2014
Status		Currently Bankrupt : Automatic Discharge will be 02 January 2015

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GaXa8tSBE

http://news.sky.com/story/1199981/tommy-robinson-edl-founder-jailed-for-fraud

Sky News posted:

Tommy Robinson: EDL Founder Jailed For Fraud

The far-right group's founder - real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon - had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of the offence at a hearing in November.

Apparently reacting to the sentencing handed down to him at St Albans Crown Court, the 36-year-old took to Twitter to say: "This is a complete stitch-up".

He also posted a picture of a meal of meat, mashed potatoes and chips, with the message "one last feed", and then "see u all in 18 months".

Robinson was accused of conspiring with others to obtain a mortgage by misrepresentation from the Abbey and Halifax banks.

He previously served time in prison for using someone else's passport to travel to the United States.

Robinson was sentenced to 10 months at Southwark Crown Court in January 2013 after admitting possession of a false identity document with improper intention.

He has also had a series of brushes with the law as police tried to restrict marches by the EDL following the murder of Fusilier Lee Rigby.

Robinson left the group in October, saying he no longer felt he could control its extreme far-right elements.

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 23, 2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Swan Curry posted:

The Troubles are not returning,the vast majority of both Nationalists and Unionists see the IRA as nothing more than a criminal gang (Mainly because that's what they are nowadays),and they have nowhere near the support or strength they had during the Troubles.
Yeah apparently they don't get anywhere near as much financial support from the USA now (though they still get some).

ekuNNN posted:

I stumbled upon this old footage of the EDL coming to the Netherlands to support Geert Wilders. It features this beautiful scene where Ajax-supporters steal Tommy Robinson's EDL flag, before chasing him into a police van.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG7orFuoO_E
lost it at "our lads are surrounded by antifa, the fascists." Yes yes the antifascists are the fascists up is down black is white.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

:qq: poor fascist profiteers are probably gonna get their windows kicked in http://www.channel4.com/news/thor-steinar-london-finchley-protest-far-right-viking

quote:

Inside Thor Steinar: London outfitter to the extreme right

Thor Steinar, the favoured brand of hardline right wingers in Germany, has opened a shop in north London called the Viking Thor Shop - but locals may be unaware of its right-wing roots. The shop has been operating from Ballards Lane in North Finchley since late last month, bringing clothing heavily associated with European far-right street movements to the UK.

The owner told Channel 4 News that he is not linked to the far right in any way, and promised to have posts on the white power website Stormfront promoting his new shop removed. When contacted Thor Steinar head office said it had "no interest" in commenting on the new shop in the heart of a multicultural London community with a sizeable Jewish population.

The Thor Steinar brand has faced bans in the German Bundestag, in several football stadium and members of the far-right German National Democratic Party have been expelled from parliament for wearing the brand. Its clothes were banned outright in Germany in 2004 because of the logo's similarity to symbols worn by the Nazi SS – but the company has rebranded since then.

In March 2012 the label drew global controversy when the company opened a shop called Brevik in Saxony. It was accused of naming the store after far-right mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik. The brand claimed it was named in honour of the Norwegian town of Brevik in Oslo but later changed the name and removed the sign.

Above the door at the north London Viking store, an ambiguous Wolfsangel-style Nordic rune is proudly displayed. The company was launched in October 2002 and was initially based in Königs Wusterhausen, German. In 2009 it moved to Dubai – provoking outrage from some of its extreme right customers who threatened a boycott.

The arrival of the shop was welcomed by the white power website Stormfront, where users posted boasting that "London gets its first white nationalist clothing shop". A number of users pledged to visit the store. One poster responded: "I hate north London. It's full of Jews", while a number of users made comments about shooting Jewish people. Local Conservative MP Mike Freer told Channel 4 News; "I am in contact with the Community Security Trust and local groups to ascertain what can be done. However, at present the shop may be unwelcome, but doesn't yet appear to have acted illegally."

While the company claims it is not owned by the far right, reports in the German press have repeatedly indicated the clothing was created from the far-right scene in east Germany. The shop sells goods from jackets to t-shirts emblazoned with the brand's name and logo. One t-shirt reads "White shark", another shows a man holding an automatic weapon and reads "last man standing".

The clothes regularly feature Vikings and Nordic themes - mythology which plays a central role in the extreme right's racial purist views. The Norwegian government filed a complaint against the use of the national flag in February 2008. Thor Steinar shops in Germany have been repeatedly targeted by anti-fascist protests and repeatedly vandalised. Earlier this month in Hanover 350 protesters gathered outside a Thor Steinar store to protest against what they see as a "right wing lifestyle store".

Either that or a good old fashioned firebombing like Whitechapel Starbucks.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Everyone still hates the fascists http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/march-for-england-2014

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

lols http://www.eastlondonmosque.org.uk/news/britain-first-invasion-fail

East London Mosque posted:

Britain First, the fringe far-right, Muslim-hating group, made a second visit to the East London Mosque today (apparently an "invasion" which involved four people). They left pretty quickly, after a local Community Support Officer spotted their car on zig-zag traffic lines, and run a red light as they made their "getaway".

Britain First's previous visit, as part of their misnamed ‘Christian Patrol’, showed them bravely swigging lager and unfurling a banner on the street outside ... before again running off quickly.

Of course, members of the public are welcome to attend the mosque and, with a booking, take a tour of the facilities (perhaps Britain First had trouble writing down the number).

Britain First is, of course, a tiny hate group whose members were booted out of the far-right British National Party (BNP). The mother of murdered soldier Lee Rigby has recently asked Britain First leader Paul Golding (a former BNP councillor in Kent and the party's ex-publicity officer) to stop using her son's name -- something Golding has pointedly refused to do -- claiming she is, understandably, 'heartbroken' Golding also had to admit to Andrew Neil on the BBC's Daily Politics show that money his organisation claimed to be collecting for British soldiers was, in fact, going to the party itself.

The party has recently boasted of guarding UKIP venues, though as anti-fascist groups have noted, its leader Jim Dowson has strong links to Northern Ireland, where he has been involved in the 'flag protests' in Belfast, as well as having a long history in an anti-abortion extremism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyCFV9F6oL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

I know the answer is "because they are idiots", but if these guys are serious about these issues why do they keep turning up to protests with cans of beer? Are they just there to have fun?

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

because they are idiots

• Locked thread