Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Yeah, it's one series you know is going to deliver the goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Can someone walk up to Peter Jackson with a rolled up nose paper and smack him on the nose while going "No. Bad." repeatedly?

Someone could try that but they'd probably have to get past the giant moat full of money first to get to him.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

And this isn't just an electrified re-telling of the first movie.......... how?

It literally sounds like the exact same plot aside from an increased body count and more mechanical whatsits and dinosaur types that could be involved. I'm willing to let the movie surprise me but I seriously don't see how Jurassic World is anything more than a nostalgia grab based on the (limited) amount of material released on it.

And this is a problem.............................................................how???

Also it is seriously ridiculous making judgements based on the 15 second teaser for the trailer which contains literally 4 shots from the film.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I have to say it doesn't sound as interesting as the dinosaurs with guns idea from a few years ago.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

It's not hate as much as a fatalistic curiosity about it and how stupid you'd have to be to still be on-board with the franchise without a certain level of cynical honesty about why you like it. I don't really care if you like the prequels or are only into it because you're a 12 year-old at heart and Lazer Swords R c00l, nor if you're actively articulating that you like it in spite of how dumb it is because you're too busy having a good time, but there are a lot of people who act like this is some formative GREAT WORK OF OUR TIME and as someone who used to be in that boat myself it's very amusing to watch from the outside this time around.

enjoy your impractical laZeer sWordZ kids... heh heh... sure is a funny view looking down at all the plebeians who don't feel the need to justify why they enjoy something :smuggo:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Terminator 3 is a serviceable retread of T2. It is largely inoffensive. Terminator Salvation is an entirely unmemorable, dreary, bland mess.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

A lot of trailers are doing this now. Taking a popular song, making a slow, depressing version of it, and then slapping it on a trailer for "irony".

Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't work here at all.

How do we tell if it works or not?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

kiimo posted:

"matting". When you see those black bars it has been matted. Without the matting you'd see boom mikes and such.

Isn't that more when you are making a widescreen frame out of a full frame ratio? Letterboxing is when you use black bars to show the full widescreen frame on a smaller screen. Maybe it depends but I don't think there's any additional part of the frame on top and bottom of a widescreen image which they cut out, that is the entire frame that has been filmed. You generally don't see boom mikes and such because they just keep them out of the frame when they are filming.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Antti posted:

The ridiculousness pendulum was particularly unkind to Pierce Brosnan who went from hunting a stolen stealth gunship in GoldenEye to ice surfing in Die Another Day. Moore was Bond long enough to go from serious (Live and Let Die*) to ridiculous (Moonraker) to back to serious (Octopussy) again.

Octopussy is serious?

uhhhh

The movie had the tarzan vine swing complete with yell sound effect, a crocodile submarine, a tennis themed slapstick chase through an Indian city, the bizarre female ninjas, Bond DRESSING UP IN A CLOWN SUIT (with full makeup) etc...

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Rougey posted:

It doesn't pass a second viewing, but on first glance it had me fooled.

I wasn't fooled, even on the first viewing.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
So is he a mutant in this or what? are they distancing this from the other x-men films?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

davidspackage posted:

"Don't make the suit green... or animated!"

What? How do you make a suit 'animated'? I get that they're ripping on Green Lantern but just "don't make it green" is enough.

Yeah, I don't know if this is for me. They did finally nail Colossus, though.

If you've seen Green Lantern, the suit is bad looking CG.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ApexAftermath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpPWWeWvI6Q

South Korean TV spot campaign for Force Awakens has started. Only one new shot, but god drat the arrangement is great.

I'm not sure what they would learn as season 2 was pretty good. I know people were hard on it right out of the gate because it was a little slow to start, but it seems like most people have turned around on it.

I wouldn't read the TVIV thread for it if I were you!

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

effectual posted:

They've never been the same since Perry passed :(

Uh, he's not dead, is that a weird joke?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

He's actually British, so that's a very good comparison.

He's a talented, physical action performer who has good screen presence.

3 of the following 4 movies have Scott Adkins in them and they should be watched, IMO:

UniHyams Soldiers:

Universal Soldier: Regeneration (doesn't have Adkins but is a very lean, solid actioner)
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

The Boyeka Duology:

Undisputed 2
Undisupted 3

Agreed. He's a great fighter and does really solid action movies. And when you're finished with those watch Ninja: Shadow of a Tear

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well then I'm sorry. A guy at work is a creepy weirdo about her (and a couple other celebs) and so I thought you went there. My bad. Please accept my apology.

Yeah, i'm glad he wasn't commenting in a light-hearted fashion about how a famous actress is attractive that would have been creepy and gross, icky stuff.

Anyway the movie looks alright but i'm not sure i'm convinced by Sophie Turner as Jean Grey.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Hat Thoughts posted:

I like the balancing act here of "vindictive killing off of actor who won't play ball" and "vague enough that actor could still be written back in at later date"

Seems pretty clear cut, the dude blew up

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Peanut President posted:

I'm a Star Trek fan and I don't watch the movies. Trek nerds bitching about the movies is like Star Wars nerds bitching about the Christmas Special, it's all just stupid cash-ins to get that lucrative "has never heard of star trek" crowd that I'm sure exists.

Star Trek fans don't like Star Trek

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Supernatural has 11 seasons and counting.

The brothers do not kiss on that show.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

This looks awesome. The first one was excellent so I'm really glad this sequel has been made. I know it will be a reliably entertaining film because Tom Cruise is in it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Verhofen often said stuff like that in interviews.

Verhoeven?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

I'm not happy it's doing well.

I'm fine with it.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Was the "family" thing so prevalent in the first movie when they stole the VHS TV combo sets?

Yeah definitely

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

gently caress yeah it was so badass when the dude was shot and killed gently caress yeah dude

hell yeah war

mocking of this dude aside, Dunkirk doesn't look very interesting--could just be a bad trailer tho

If you don't think war scenes in movies are exciting or played for excitement you're a bit stupid.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
That's very funny. Aside from that the trailer does not look all that iinteresting but no doubt it will be a decent film due to the Cruise factor.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

not trolled not crying posted:

This. I also like how they try to edit around the fact that Dom is back with the family during the submarine shenanigans. I have no problem with them just going totally over the top with these movies, but this trailer basically was the movie in 3 minutes and I would like to have witnessed that kind of insanity fresh in the theater. I guess it's my fault for looking.

As I recall, the Fast 7 trailers barely showed any of the final action scene with the drone in LA. Might be a similar situation here or it might not.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I expect to see the Mummy and enjoy it a fair amount.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Madkal posted:

I was a bit nervous with Taika Waititi directing it because I love his movies but hate it when big blockbuster movies are given to indie directors and it really shows their shortcomings with a bigger budget, but this looks fun.

Not sure how because all the action stuff is handled by the second unit and the special effects are obviously done by the CG studios. These types of directors are brought in for the character and humour stuff.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Jedit posted:

My sister lived in New Zealand for a year and brought me back a copy of Boy. Never watched it, because it looked like dumb regional comedy. Are you saying it's good?

It's very good. I suggest you watch it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

I dont know that much but I'm gonna guess Whedon going to the press with "they're cheap and poor" is a way for him to get his pay bumped.

Uhh, no, that's really silly

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Shageletic posted:

lol the comments (i know i know) consisting of sad losers saying the male lead is too ugly.

Ryan Gosling ugly? first i've heard of it

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Also Slither, Fright Night, Drag me to Hell

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

They do? They've been showing mainly phone and car ads before films in NZ. It's horrible.

What cinemas do you go to because I've seen 3-5 trailers in front of everything, and that's after those horrible local ads

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

If you "valued your time" you wouldn't be at the movies.

So if you value your time you don't get any leisure time?

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

viral spiral posted:

...did they really have to pick an actress who looks like a teenager for Lara Craft?

What the hell, man.

Jeez what a bizarre comment. Yeah she is meant to be young because its an origin story. Also she is 29 years old and does not look like a teenager. what the hell

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

viral spiral posted:

Because she looks like a child in the face. It's just such a bizarre difference of appearance from Angelina Jolie as Tomb Raider.

Not really bizarre that a whole new take on the character, based on a new incarnation of the games has a different look for the character. Did you think this was a direct sequel to the Jolie films or something

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

the_american_dream posted:

I am extremely here for more black dynamite

Yes. this is surprising and excellent news

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well it worked, inasmuch as it got us discussing an upcoming trailer for a film that I'm pretty sure no one is excited about

Well it might surprise you to know the last two have been great and pretty successful and this one is also directed by McQuarrie and bound to be packed with awesome stunts so i'm looking forward to it and probably others are too

And trailers for trailers have been everywhere for a while now where have you guys been

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

imo Renner looks like what Damon might look like in 50 years with weird surgery

Like he looks way older than Damon, idk if he is but he does.

They're the same age

Renner is real good in Wind River, you should all see it if you havent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Captain_Person posted:

They've been saying one of the stunts in Fallout tops anything else they've done and took months of prep. I wouldn't be surprised if the brief shot of him dropping off a helicopter mid-flight is what they're referring to.

So hyped for MI Fallout. Looks sick af. Seems like the movie is stunt after stunt where they try to outdo the last one each time, which is a-ok by me

• Locked thread