Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I've a special love for trailers that are far better than the movie they advertize.

I still love the second trailer released for Clash of the Titans (the remake), even though the movie is boring.

But if there's one practice I hate, it's when a trailer shows shots from the final scene of a movie, or sometimes the actual final shot, like Quarantine and The Grey. You see the trailer, you watch the movie, and nearly at the end you realize "poo poo, I already saw this."

I went looking for a version of the trailer for the fundamentally stupid movie 10,000 BC which has about 10,000 words fly at the viewer in rapid succession, and realized that every trailer for that movie contains the scene where the bad guy has just been killed (the hero screams "he is not a god!").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Uh. Here's a thing. Not sure if it's a real thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCQVcckG4-M

My god, the Narration. Who approved the narration? Who approved anything about this, actually.

"Like my mother used to say... quack, quack, quacker... Time to die, motherfucker!"

That... that doesn't even rhyme. That is insane. Granted, that might be the point, but jesus.

Then those actor names popping up near the end is like a bunch of mangled bodies floating to the surface.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jonny Angel posted:

:stare: This is some Terence Malick level poo poo. I mean that in an incredibly positive way. Was not interested in this movie at all beforehand, but this pair of trailers is loving brilliant.

I wasn't feeling the Costner narration so much because the lines are so clichéd, but the Butler Crowe as Jor-El narration sends a bit of a tingle down my spine.

VV sorry, drinking and posting don't mix.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 26, 2012

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
3D re-releasing seems like such a sad cash grab, but I will not miss Jurassic Park in theaters again. I remember being so completely, thoroughly fulfilled when I saw JP in the theater as a kid. I was particularly amazed that even my dad had really enjoyed the movie.

I kinda wish my nephew (who is only 3 months old) was old enough to take to this movie. I can't know he'd like it of course, but to introduce that to another generation just seems awesome.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The first Evil Dead makes me kind of sick, but that's only because of Raimi's tendency to climb up his actors' noses.

The chick in this trailer is reminding me of the Exorcist's Regan. I'm hopeful for this!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

It is literally impossible to dislike RDJ.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

Apparently this is the first time Charlie Sheen has ever used his birth name in a movie.

I chuckled at that. The implication that it's a movie Charlie Sheen did before he got famous.

I liked the first one too. Sofia Vergara strikes me as able to play loving crazy pretty well, I'm on board.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We got a new trailer for Machete Kills, with a bit more of Carlos Estevez:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO1WwOQowlg

Still looks ridiculous. Still looking forward to it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

It's not exactly trailer stuff, but Danny Trejo has said that the mooted title for a final film in the Machete trilogy is Machete Kills Again ... In Space!

If they go with that, I am in.

Machete in a glass dome helmet, still wearing just a vest over his bare chest, only it and his pants are silver.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm trying not to judge the Robocop remake by comparison to its original, but what hits me immediately about the trailer is that Robo just looks like a guy in a fancy suit, not a ruined man grafted onto a metal construction. The intact hand isn't helping though I expect it'll be relevant to the plot. I feel like it's going to lack the tragedy that makes Robo more than just a generic action hero.

On the other hand, that's probably not the stuff that makes it to the trailer. But right now I don't feel like it's going to be worth watching and will wait for some reviews. "Passionless" is an apt description.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Am I a sadist for wanting that hand to get blown off at some critical point?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

Vikingdom trailer (coming to the US in October):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfBW6xZNVB4

At the end you're just like, "in cinemas"? Really?

I must admit I'm impressed with what they can make a 6 million dollar budget look like, but it's still only a fancy turd. I burst out laughing at the chick who just has to bare her midriff while snow is falling around her.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

So apparently Dario Argento made a film adaptation of Dracula last year and it's only getting a release now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrAgNlOfeoU

It looks cheap and poo poo.

I remember the trailer with "pre effects work" from a year or two ago. It... hasn't improved much.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

Hey guys, there's a new Paranormal Activity movie coming soon. It looks silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J39iyK_aqDE

Hm. I really liked the first three, but the way they keep trying to build on this story just isn't working. And they're just ramping up the action even though the appeal of the movies was their subtlety.

Also one of the last shots in that trailer where the girls have black eyes looks really lovely.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vagabundo posted:

After his work in films like 3:10 to Yuma, Romper Stomper, The Insider and LA Confidential, Russell Crowe at the very least deserves some benefit of the doubt before being criticised for an acting performance.

I have my doubts about the movie, but Crowe strikes me as an excellent choice for a biblical movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

colonel_korn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeHpSdQSH0c

I dunno if they were trying to make him look especially old in this movie or not, but holy crap :stare:

I don't think I've actually seen any of Schwarzenegger's movies since his comeback to acting, but this looks pretty good.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I like all those actors (and Nick Frost really impressed me with his moves in The World's End), but man, does that look forgettable.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's actually the only version of the song I know. The video was awesome.

EDIT: Yup, still awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

I'm not kidding when I say I wish they'd used Hasselhoff's version. If only because just hearing it makes me think of that awesome video.

I keep thinking GotG is feeling like a cross between Farscape and the Hellboy movies.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bobkatt013 posted:

I remember when the movies had Orson Welles eating planets like they were peas or frozen sticks.

"Mwaaaah the ener... gon... is renowned for itsss excellence."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Didn't Rodriguez actually quit the director's guild because they wouldn't let him co-credit Miller as director?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Goddamn. That trailer alone must've had people terrified when it came out. (Exorcist)

edit: VV yeah, that's what I was thinking too. Wasn't there a slight hype when the movie was in theaters where people claimed they thought they were possessed?

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Mar 25, 2014

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Looks pretty good! Speaking as a casual TMNT fan.

Looks kind of cobbled together from terrible material. The effects work looks almost in line with the orginal Phantasm movies. I've only seen them in recent years, so I'm not sure what a fan of this series is expecting.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jesus, that's a lot of categories.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Nosferatu-lookin' Charles Dance has my attention.

It's drat criminal that the years before Game of Thrones have felt so Charles Dance-deprived. I'm not sure if this is a good example but I need way more Charles Dance in my day-to-day media.

Movie looks pretty ennnnh though. I really liked how Coppola's Dracula was not just a monster, but this looks angsty as hell. Lukula will probably heroically sacrifice himself in the end to save his people. And how much physical force can you get out of a swarm of bats anyway?

The new TMNT is weird, though. It seems to be doing many of the things the Transformers movie was doing - very loud, lots of stuff going on, lots of stuff tacked on to the bulky characters - but I was moderately into TMNT as a kid, and I think it looks fun. I don't mind the redesigns at all, the only thing that made me iffy was the scrapped idea that they were space aliens. As long as this doesn't repeat Transformers's cardinal mistake - focusing way too much on the human character, April - I'm looking forward to it.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 1, 2014

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Dracula Untold will end with Dracula brooding in his castle until there's a knock at the door and he opens it to a rather normal looking Englishman who asks, "Count Dracula?" "Yes?" "I've been looking for you. *Swell of dissonant violins*

"My name is Frankenstein. We're putting together a team."

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
That long shot of Max just standing there at the start of the trailer held my attention, but I'm amusedly curious if they maybe digitally removed a stream of piss from that shot just for the trailer.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Pirate guy as the villain? Rules.

And yet I'm still bothered by them appearing to just breathe out of the water. And not suddenly being a plain sponge and petrified starfish on sticks.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

I don't know where you are, but I will find you and I will bite you.

GIMME BACK MY BONE!!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Only if November Rain is playing, also the dog's name is November because that's when his wife died.

Slash doing a guitar solo on the tiny dog casket as it slowly lowers into the ground, Keanu pretends not to notice him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jewmanji posted:

New Foxcatcher trailer.

http://thedissolve.com/news/3598-new-foxcatcher-trailer/

Just come out already.

Jesus, for real. I feel like I'm gonna spend that movie clenched in my seat.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

HERMIONE DIES

NOOOooOOoo you bitch

you bitch

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jonny Angel posted:

The Riddick franchise makes a lot more sense when you realize Diesel spent years roleplaying a Drow witch hunter who was "a bit of a loner" and whose name he has as a tattoo.

Just on account of his voice and nerdhood, Diesel is my choice for a live action Witcher movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Looks like a more serious and heavy-handed South African Johnny 5. I wonder if it'll really earn that schmaltz. I'll probably go see it, though - Elysium was kind of disappointing plot-wise, but still entertaining. I think at worst this will be similar.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah it's been done dozens of times but I'll always get sucked in by a story about a kid discovering the world, and the shot of him looking around at other people while being told that he's a black sheep, and the scene where kids are bullying him are tugging my heart strings

I already felt sad when he got set on fire.

It's missing the not-Indian guy doing an outrageously Indian accent though.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Supercar Gautier posted:

They want us to put a thong on Will Ferrell.

No one should ever have to say this sentence.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

LaughMyselfTo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Byk9Is3TjY

Into The Woods trailer with actual singing! I'm losing my "this is gonna suck" factor on this movie, which is scaring me.

drat it, I don't want to like this, but Meryl Streep's drawing me in like a haggy syren.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, that's my christmas cards sorted.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BlueBayou posted:

Robb Stark is dreamy as Prince Charming

he looks like a young hugh jackman. :allears:

Also lets appreciate Helena Bonham Carter playing a good guy in a fantasy movie

Looks like he brought Xaro Zoan Daxos (I may be grossly misspelling that) with him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The prequels made me not care about Star Wars at all anymore, but all it's probably going to take is the opening notes of the John Williams tune and I'm a moist pile of nerd again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I... I just can't get into the idea of "good guy dinos", at least not from this trailer. I'm too married to the notion of "Man creates dinosaurs, dinosaurs eat man." Maybe I'll grow to appreciate it. Chris Pratt is too great.

Someone here suggested a found gootage Jurassic Park movie and now it's hard to want something else.

• Locked thread