Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yoshifan823 posted:

Man, where in Exodus did it say anything about alligators?

quote:

Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘The Lord says this: “Let My people go, so they may worship Me. But if you will not let them go, I will bring trouble to your whole country and you will be up to your rear end in alligators."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
American sniper
Stay away from me
American sniper
Mama let me be

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

davidspackage posted:

That has a lot of interesting implications. The planning has to be ironclad, all around there have to be people preparing while staying invisible, anything that goes wrong has to be improvised around by the actors, wow. I think a Making Of of that will be at least as interesting. I imagine it'll be exhausting to watch, though.

I wonder how many takes they had to do to get it in the can. :ohdear:

I know that this 4 minute single cut fight scene from The Protector/Tom-Yung-Goong needed five takes because stunt props kept refusing to break, crash mats weren't in place in time, etc etc.. Since it took so long to reset between takes it took them an entire month to get it filmed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

First person perspective movie Hardcore. The video title says it's :nws: but I think it's mostly for all the violence.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv33e0TyL6M

I was going to get all :smug: and post "Oh hey someone made a feature movie out of the the 'Bad Motherfucker' music video" but it turns out that's exactly what they did, they're both by the same production company.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgox84KE7iY

They're even promoting the movie as a sequel to the video.

Electromax posted:

Interesting idea but a little too video game looking in this trailer.

It's no coincidence that the British soldier who appears at the very start of this trailer looks a little familiar ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnURHXFhuE

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 13, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lady Naga posted:

I really enjoy that, to goons, "videogamey" means "is in first person".

When the movie is a first person shooter and has scenes that look like this:

... I think it's earned the "videogamey" comparison.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lady Naga posted:

I was mostly talking about the noir movie but there's more to a videogame "style" than just "is first person, has guns".

The whole "You wake up to discover that you've been turned into a cyborg and have to fight your way out of a secret base when the bad guys suddenly attack" opening is also reeeeeally videogamey.

I'm sure there'll be aspects of the actual movie which are less game-like but the trailer really seemed to be pushing the video game similarities.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alehkhs posted:

The Angry Birds Movie

Oh man that's going to do great business .... if they can send it 3 or 4 years back in time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Random Stranger posted:

Remember how when you were a child the kid's movies had all the kids rocking out to stuff from twenty years before they were born?

And Bad was released 28 years ago .... checks out.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair, how else do you costume a bad boy rogue without a leather jacket???

Hey now, sometimes they wear a denim vest over their leather jacket, it's not that straightforward.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Hurt posted:

That's still an awful joke, especially in the execution.

Correct! And yet that's the joke they decided to highlight in the trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asiina posted:

There wasn't anything more to the joke at all and it's still absolutely awful. How could anyone find that funny?

I guess we can at least look forwards to a Mystery Science Theater episode about this movie in about 10 years? :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

In contrast I don't think I've ever seen Shia be good in anything

His youtube stuff is his greatest work to date

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

That trailer isn't for an actual movie right?

Nah it's a fake trailer.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Although I wouldn't be surprised if the Wayans brothers or someone tried to option it

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
2010 Alice in Wonderland made over a billion dollars worldwide, putting it in at #21 in the all time worldwide box office earners between Jurassic Park/The Phantom Menace and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey/The Dark Knight. It made crazy money and was anything but a flop.

Somehow it got 52% on Rotten Tomatoes (55% Audience score) and 53% on Metacritic and Roger Ebert gave it three stars so it was somehow critically passable regardless of what we think here. I still think it's a heap of crud but critics and audiences were happy with it so :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There's visible elves and dwarves in the stormwind crowd.

There's also a big-rear end griffon flapping all over the place and a guy with a gun so all it was missing was "robots, spaceships, steampunk, and Jamaican trolls."

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
So the two reactions to the Warcraft trailer are pretty much "That looks like poo poo and I'm not gonna see it" and "That looks okay but I'm not gonna see it." :v:

So far teagone is the only person who has said he'll go see it and that's only because his dad is hyped for it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snapchat A Titty posted:

The trailer felt like it was targeted at teens

There wasn't a single fart joke so I doubt it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The CG in Gods of Egypt is just so bad. The anthropomorphic god armour scenes looks like something out of an old Lara Croft game.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

What is with Hollywood's obsession with turning fairy tales into these epic fantasy franchises, like I almost got a Game of Thrones vibe from that trailer. Is it just because they're public domain, because there are a thousand fantasy book series that aren't being turned into films.

For a while there it felt like they were trying to start up a Steampunk Fairytale genre with Van Helsing and Hansel and Gretel and their weird medieval-era James Bond gimmick weapons, I think they've actually drawn back a bit since then but are still trying to generate some of that Harry Potter fantasy franchise gold.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hakkesshu posted:

Is it just because they're public domain, because there are a thousand fantasy book series that aren't being turned into films.

I can pretty much guarantee that the movie rights to each of those thousand fantasy book series have been bought and producers are desperately trying to put together scripts and get known actors and directors attached to the projects so they can convince a studio to greenlight a movie or a cartoon series or a TV movie. Every. Single. Series.

Also every cartoon and toyline that was even slightly popular in the 80s.
Edit: Furbys had a 2005 CG TV movie!

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 19, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shneak posted:

This 'franchise' picked up Emily Blunt and Jessica Chastain but Kristen Stewart was too good for another? Okay.

Corek posted:

There are rumors she was tired of being known for antifeminist stuff like Twilight.

Also there was a scandal with the Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders cheating on his wife with Kristen Stewart. Universal were planning a spin off with Hemsworth which would be directed by Sanders and a sequel starring Stewart which would be directed by someone else but the sequel fell through so the spinoff The Huntsman: Winter's War got greenlit. Then two years passed and they went through several different directors and several different drafts by different screenwriters (as they do) and it ended up being directed by the guy who was the visual effects supervisor on Snow White and the Huntsman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this? posted:

Something I find weird about that trailer is that it looks like the movie is doing exactly the same thing as the 300 sequel did, where it is both a prequel and sequel to the original.

Yep, it's a prequel/spinoff/sequel which starts with the Woodsman's backstory working for the Ice Queen (the Evil Queen's sister) and then picks up after the Evil Queen is killed.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BlueBayou posted:

Anyway Civil War looks good, but gawd i don't like Cap. And since its his movie, his side will probably win.

Well, eventually. Since it's his movie he'll be dragged rear end backwards through the poo poo for most of the film only to triumph in the final few minutes. Just walk out 10 minutes before the end and you'll have seen the film you want!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm not great at puzzling out composition, but it seems strange that their heads keep moving in and out of being lost in the grey space at the top of the frame rather than having their full height visible against the white portions.

Iron Man = Jesus, Captain America = Peter, Winter Soldier = Judas Iscariot

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BonoMan posted:

That's because Jesus isn't in motion you dolt. Immediately after that photo of Jesus was taken a food fight broke out and that composition was less than impressive.

That platter immediately in front of Jesus actually rebounds up into his face, then James frisbees it to Simon behind Jesus' back.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The_Master posted:

Civil War looks like it's 90% filmed in a parking lot. In the SAME parking lot. It just looks so...small and grey.

Hey now, at least 30% of it was filmed on some building's roof.

Edit: might be a multilevel parking garage roof

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I just didn't quite grasp

Neither did he

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ozz81 posted:

I'm actually pretty stoked for the next TMNT movie...Stockman, Bebop, Rocksteady, and no doubt that swirling cloud business gonna bring some Utrom goodness :getin: People take movies too drat serious, just sit back, relax, turn your brain off and enjoy the show

I ragged on the 2014 film a hell of a lot but the trailer for the new film was great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Were you a kid in the early 90s or are you just trying to outfact me? Because there is a difference between a pizza launcher and THE "Pizza Thrower".

You were both wrong in any case, it's clearly a Sewer Lid Launcher. :colbert:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dexo posted:

They really lucked into Jennifer Laurence too. They got her signed to these movies before she blew up.

I'm guessing that Fox Studios probably sent a lovely fruit basket to Lionsgate to thank them for turning her into an A-lister. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hollismason posted:

Did American Hero get posted?

Found it on youtube and never heard of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StDQ_P99rPo

Huh, that looks likes Will Smith's Hancock but with just the fun stuff from the first half and none of the lovely stuff from the third act.

Of course there's no way of telling from the trailer whether they manage to maintain the mood or tail off into Hancock shittiness as well ...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

Oh, so it'll be 2 hours of laughing at black people for being drunk degenerates?

Drunk violent horny degenerates!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spatula City posted:

sorry I am a film awards nerd, it is a sickness. :smith:

Is there a thread about film awards?? I nearly sidetracked some other thread with a discussion about the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award the other day. (I highly suspect it's the Academy's "Holy poo poo why haven't we given this guy more Oscars quick throw some award at him so we don't look like idiots" consolation prize but I'm really no expert on that side of things)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The giant black dude in the red beret with the two giant machetes strapped to his back is already my favourite character of the entire film:

Gonna gently caress up some aliens REAL GOOD with them machetes!

teagone posted:

Yeah, this is going to awesome because of

SHIP BIGGER :shittydog:

Vagabundo posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road :v:

Easy Rider 2 has that beat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Rider:_The_Ride_Back
Edit: Bambi 2 has them all beat!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bambi_II

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 14, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deakul posted:

this looks like it's just a generic adventure that has nothing to do with what Trek is

Funny you should mentionthat ...

quote:

On the original draft by Orci, Pegg commented that Paramount "had a script for Star Trek that wasn't really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too Star Trek-y." For his role as the primary screenwriter, Pegg had been asked to make this new film "more inclusive", stating that the solution was to "make a western or a thriller or a heist movie, then populate that with Star Trek characters so it's more inclusive to an audience that might be a little bit reticent." Pegg and Jung's screenplay is officially co-credited with Orci, McKay and Payne.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Beyond#Screenplay

Mission accomplished! :waycool:

On the other hand "The crew gets snatched out of the Enterprise and stranded on a remote planet with a whole bunch of other alien crews by some unknown power for some unknown reason" sounds like a plot straight out of a classic Trek episode

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Surlaw posted:

They've been in every single one of the Pine Trek movies.

They must be huge Trek fans judging by all the Star Trek references in their songs.

Also there was a theory that 'Sabotage' was used in the '09 film as a dig at William Shatner because he famously had trouble pronouncing that word.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FooF posted:

Star Trek looked very "meh" to me. Looked like a Marvel movie with "Generic Bad Guy." Who are the antagonists, Cardassians? (Kardashians?)

It's Idris Elba playing a new character, I'm down for that.

Mierenneuker posted:

Let's not forget about the pun-overload that will be the Michael Giacchino soundtrack.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, look up a tracklisting for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. It is some of his finest work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_of_the_Planet_of_the_Apes#Soundtrack
Goddamit :psyduck:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 14, 2015

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

computer parts posted:

It's a trilogy, so maybe only the first movie.

At one point the studio was saying that it would be "at least a trilogy" so there could be even more!

So we're pretty much set to get one Harry Potter film, one Star Wars film and several MCU + DC films every year from next year onward, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Come to think of it, I wonder what's the longest gap between any teaser/trailer and the actual movie. The original LOTR teaser had dates for all 3, right?

Dunno what the longest deliberate gap was but some films get held back for a crazy long time. Here's a trailer for All The Boys Love Mandy Lane, a 2006 film which didn't get a theatrical release in the US until 2013 after the Weinsteins sold the distribution rights to a company called Senator Entertainment who then went bankrupt and the film was left in limbo for seven years until the Weinsteins bought it back. And after all those years and years of waiting it apparently turned out that the film wasn't so great anyway. :v:

• Locked thread