Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Yeah, I've never seen my 660 go any higher than 65C, and GPU-Z insists performance is power-limited not thermal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

So I know of the memory issue with the 970, and I am thinking about returning mine for a 980 (not because I am worried about the memory, but because I think I secretely just really want a 980). Does the 980 have the same memory issues?

The issue is specific to the 970.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Is this GTX970 business even a thing? I've been checking out YouTube videos of people recording their card pushing 4GB and I've barely seen anything amiss.

Other than an advertising thing, not really. Unless for some reason your 970 spontaneously started running slower once you learned your card has fewer ROPs than you thought. It's still an excellent piece of hardware.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

The 90s were so loving magical :allears:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i say swears online posted:

my 1080 started overheating and shutting down so i disassembled it to apply thermal paste. when removing the heatsink from the board, the wires connecting the fans to the board all stripped away from the connector. did i just irreparably break the most valuable piece of electronics i own? i called a few repair places around town and they said they can't handle it

i can't really answer your question but you did successfully dissuade me from attempting to repair my own rapidly wearing down 2060 so thank you

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

MH Knights posted:

So a 4070Ti would be a decent, about double-ish?, upgrade for a 2070 Super? One that would allow me to keep my current case a PSU at least.

i will probably get one on release, to replace a 2060

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

K8.0 posted:

LOL @ $800 GPU with less than half the shader cores of the $1600 GPU. Another product that literally no people should buy, along with the 4080 one of the worst deals in the history of computing products. Nvidia needs to be put in the garbage can over this poo poo, consumers need to grow a loving spine and refuse to buy these products until they see at least 30-40% price cuts.

You can tell me all day long that the $1600 gpu is the better deal complete with graphs and benchmarks but it’s completely irrelevant if I am not willing to spend $1600 on a gpu.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

njsykora posted:

Also holy poo poo I just noticed they're launching this thing in 2 days, god help all the reviewers who are scrambling to do their reviews on whatever cards they've gotten.

E: Oh yeah and no FE model, so all of these cards are going to be at least $900.

I’m already seeing some 4070Ti listed at Best Buy, at $840 and $900

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I haven’t really followed a gpu launch since the GeForce 3, is it historically normal for cards to immediately sell out day 1?

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

feel like a lot of the discussion over value and such is academic as a lot goes into a gpu purchase. a 4090 is value in a vacuum, unless you need a new power supply, and oops it doesn’t fit in your case, and it’s bottlenecked by your previously-fine-but-now-lovely cpu, and what do you mean they’re all out of stock at $1600 but you’ll sell me one for $2k+

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Frames per dollar it’s number one, weirdly enough. It’s that powerful.

that's only really true in a (very expensive) vacuum

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cygni posted:

i do 100% for 1440p on a 27in monitor. my eyes are like 28in from the monitor while postin. It is Gods Chosen resolution/panel size/scaling ok cya.

:same:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

win11, 980 pro nvme, 4070 ti, i5-12600K cpu

e: "Storage Driver: Not BypassIo Compatible"

UHD fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 25, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

repiv posted:

if more people note whether they have bypassio active (you definitely don't if you're still on win10) then we can better determine how much load it takes off the CPU

code:
(as admin)
> fsutil bypassIo state c:\
BypassIo on "c:" is currently supported
    Storage Type:   NVMe
    Storage Driver: BypassIo compatible

my results didn't have bypassio enabled and damned if i know how to turn it on :shrug: board is msi pro z690-a ddr4

code:
BypassIo on "c:" is partially supported
    Volume stack bypass is disabled (EPMVolFl.sys)
    Storage Type:   NVMe
    Storage Driver: Not BypassIo Compatible

UHD posted:

win11, 980 pro nvme, 4070 ti, i5-12600K cpu

e: "Storage Driver: Not BypassIo Compatible"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

repiv posted:

apparently EPMVolFl.sys is used by EaseUS partition tools, if you have that installed it may be the culprit

that was it, uninstalling EaseUS and rebooting worked, thank you

this appears to be a best case screenshot. on average - because the numbers vary quite a bit from run to run - bandwidth went up but cpu usage didn't really change

e: from when bypassio was off vs on

UHD fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 25, 2023

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

if i trust anyone to sell me a graphics card, it's a jester

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

my takeaways from hdr:

autohdr works well with genshin impact, maybe because that game is already pretty colorful

win11 reminds me that i can enable autohdr for ff xiv even though i already have it enabled for that game, so as far as i can tell it does nothing for it

i barely noticed hdr in doom eternal which is apt because i didnt notice raytracing in that game either

screenshots via the printscreen key are washed out by default, i have to use the xbox game bar shortcut which is fun because i never remember the drat keyboard shortcut

tl;dr its neat but i kind of wish we just had 64-bit color instead

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

This is the most annoying pop up. It took me a few times before I was able to catch it and turn it off completely.

Windows 11 loves it’s annoying pop ups that’s for sure.

I don’t mind the pop ups so much, it doesn’t stay long and I’d get one anyway even if autohdr worked. I just wish it’d read its own settings and either turn on autohdr in ff xiv for realsies or disable the setting for ff xiv completely.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

just make a gpu, easy peasy

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

GhostDog posted:

If PS5 games go back to 30 I'm out. I don't know what it is, but 30fps looks way worse (more jittery) on the PS5 than on the PS4. At first I thought I had just gotten used to higher FPS between shelving my PS4 and managing to get a PS5, but then I actually dusted off the PS4 just to check and while 30fps still would never be my choice it didn't gently caress my eyes the way it does on PS5. Tried two different displays, different cables, no loving clue what that is about.

pc gamings back baby

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

I'm the weirdo who cranks the res up to 2.25x DLDSR in every game that supports it simply because he can :cool:

meanwhile i shut DLSS off completely in cp2077 because i dont notice framerate dips at all at 1440p with RT on (4070ti, 12600K cpu) but i did immediately notice ghosting whenever some things moved (like jackie's hands) and since my framerates are almost always 60+ i didnt feel like taking the time to tweak something i didnt need so it wouldnt do a thing i didnt want. maybe thats just cp2077 jank, god knows that game has a lot of it

repiv posted:

it's compounded by games increasingly relying on shortcuts that assume TAA will clean them up, like replacing (expensive) alpha transparency with (cheap) dither patterns that get blended into approximate transparency by TAA

in those cases if you force AA off it just looks like straight dogshit

this has strong 90s "this only looks good on CRTs" energy

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Lamquin posted:

The ongoing concerns with VRAM for the future has absolutely put a damper on the honeymoon of getting a 4070 TI (12GB) back in January.
I'm hoping it'll be a gradual thing over several years and not whatever The Last of Us port is showing us, but talk about a mood killer. I run games at 1440p, was aware of the concerns regarding 4K when I purchased it and this became an issue far quicker than I thought. :shobon:

Watching Digital Foundrys video slamming the port does bring a bit of hope into it at least that maybe future developers will try to find a way to work around it.

or maybe its just a really lovely port and shouldnt be indicative of the future unless lovely pc ports are the norm

wait poo poo okay maybe it is gonna be that bad

glibness aside i dunno. either devs will make it work or theyll shut out so many customers the port wont make financial sense at all. cp2077 is a showcase for a lot of the hot poo poo gpu tech and even it will run on weaker cards if you accept lower settings. we're still a long ways away from raytracing being necessary instead of just neat

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

sure hope this lands before I finish the game. cp2077 isn’t nearly compelling enough (to me) for me to play through it twice just for extra shiny.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

It's actually a Dark Souls game. Also it's got a better plot than at least half of the Star Wars movies so there's that.

now im definitely not going to play it, i can get the plot off youtube within a few months of release

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I should add that the screen doesn't turn off either. I haven't added any new USB devices. If it is a USB device that is preventing it from sleeping, what is causing the GPU to under clock now or even before when it was going to sleep successfully?

this the reason i keep my controller unplugged unless actively using it. turn out while it wasnt preventing the pc from hibernating it could and did gently caress with pc and monitor sleep

for whatever reason my usb headphones dont cause this problem, but the controller sure does

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ran the benchmark to see how much pathtracing punished my system. 4070ti, i5-12600K cpu, 1440p

w/o DLSS: 23.19 average, 18.05 low, 31.38 high
DLSS "Quality": 56.66 average, 44.27 low, 72.26 high
DLSS w/ DLAA: 42.87 average, 33.30 low, 58.26 high
FSR "Quality": 45.64 average, 35.66 low, 58.95 high
XeSS "Ultra Quality": 34.91 average, 27.56 low, 45.55 high

a few minutes in the actual game trying out pathtracing with DLSS "Quality" and its very playable if not optimal. doesn't seem to look all that much better though, at least not to my eye. and it still kind of messes with the UI in distracting ways. not about to use a lower DLSS setting because Quality doesn't have ghosting and that is extra distracting.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

CDPR has said they plan to update and improve the path tracing implementation over time, and this is just a very early version of it. I could see them actually tweaking some scenes to improve the lighting where necessary. I also imagine that they will build their game worlds with this kind of technology in mind going forward. Though they will still need to support fallback options for anyone without 4090/4080-class GPUs, and supporting multiple lighting paths simultaneously could be pretty burdensome.

i'm sure the copious amounts of money nvidia is throwing at them to be a technological showcase for $1200 video cards helps ease the burden

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Hemish posted:

It's not a good period for PC games (that are cross platforms) and most games get released too early with bugs but the timeline of The Last of Us release can't be a coincidence with it coming at about the same time as the TV show which is based on that first game in the series. If it gets the Horizon : Zero Dawn treatment and gets fixed properly on PC, it will end up being pretty good on PC but it doesn't excuse paying 93$Cnd (79.99$ + taxes where I live) for a broken mess at launch when it's backed by mega studios and mega corporations. I'm surprised it didn't get the 89.99$Cnd pricing (that's our next gen pricing on your 69.99$us) which totals at 104$Cnd here.

i suspect it would still be a bad port even if it wasnt rushed out the door for the tv show. the shader compilation nonsense just screams "we hyperoptimized for our platform of choice and let the contractors worry about the ports"

not a lot of game devs work with cross-platform in mind from the start

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Instead of trying to make interesting games, the big publishers are just currently chasing trend after trend.

I don't see how this is an issue just for the PC market though, it effects consoles too.

when has this ever not been true

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

the notion of a "good" game is subjective anyway, and even if it wasn't a game doesn't have to be "good" in order to be financially or critically successful.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I hate to be devil's advocate but I feel like there's been loads of great AAA games in recent years. I think the cynicism regarding remakes and sequels have put a lot of people off what are otherwise actually really great games. FFVIIr, Doom 2016, MHW, Resident Evil, there's been a bunch of huge AAA games that knocked it out the park.

i'd add doom eternal to that pile.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've only played it on PC, and then only after it had been out for a while and had a patch or two, but I'd say it was a great game, too. That I avoided it at launch is something that I think helps with that.

:same:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

arguably id's entire software lineup after doom 1993 was a bunch of tech demos

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

For what it’s worth i have a 165hz and 144hz monitor and my 4070ti idles at around 10W

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Apple has spent the last decade and change moving as much of their products’ bits and pieces in-house as they can, they are not about to adopt vulkan to make other peoples lives easier

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Because if I’m going to play a AAA LotR title with hideously inflated system requirements it better be about the little goblin guy that spends all their screen time getting poo poo on

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

i'm kind of surprised that isn't a thing already

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

ok there it is :pcgaming:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

kliras posted:

i like the benefit of curve optimization for my 5800X3D, but i can't imagine the abject misery of being a developer whose games might be crashing because gamers think they know better and oc their vram, undervolt their gpu's, and curve optimize their cpu's

game devs have already been annoyed at poo poo like this for decades

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's not even just the memory bus; the 4060Ti only has 8 lanes of PCIe, where the 3060Ti, and even the 3050 non-Ti, still had a full 16 lanes, and only the 3050 had 8 lanes

does fewer lanes translate to meaningful performance issues? because i was under the impression pcie speed doesn't really impact performance very much.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

depending on the project there is probably a limit to how low you can go but customers with nine year old GPUs are paying just as much for a game as a customer with a $4k pc. cutting out the former market is as much of a cost-benefit analysis as catering to the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

carmack's always been a libertarian, twitter just made it easier to recognize.