Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's just such an uninteresting device, honestly. It has good mobile graphics, a seemingly nice panel, and it streams from Steam on a PC but that functionality is fairly buggy from what I can tell.

Everything about the Shield just screams "come back when this product is more refined, don't worry about it much for now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

That girl in the audience shouting is ludicrously annoying, good lord.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

havenwaters posted:

I'll keep my 970 for now since I don't need much more (yet). But if the price is right this will be very tempting.

I'm in the same boat with a 970, but it's almost always worth it to buy a graphic card the minute it comes out (given that you plan on buying it at all).

The price of GPUs drop so slowly that you're gaining much more utility by buying the card instantly, and taking the small $ hit, but getting to enjoy the product for its full life span.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Froist posted:

I'm not sure how to read that graph - it looks impressive but also like they're trying to twist the data a bit?

It seems to be a graph of "relative" performance with no data point at 1x - so relative to what? The figures look like it's towards but a chunk below twice the performance of a 980, but the graph makes the difference look far more dramatic..

The graph is accurate, but undeniably a bit shady.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

spasticColon posted:

Well if AMD/ATI does unfuck itself with Polaris...

Pipe dream bro

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Are they not going to discuss the 1070 :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

"I CAN AFFORD THAT! I CAN AFFORD THAT!" *shits pants, orgasms, strokes out*

"That's sexy"

That lady is going nuts.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I am buying the loving poo poo out of the 1070 at that price, good god.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Man AMD might just be done, what a tough act to follow.

Granted I've been saying that for years.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Give me that 1070 right. loving. now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

Why would you buy a 1070 when you can buy a 1080

Seems very... not worth it.

Also, while I have a 3440x1440 monitor, I primarily game on my secondary monitor (65 inch 1080p) with a controller, so, even the 1070 is beyond overkill.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

If AMD folds that is loving lovely for the industry.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

AMD is targeting the mobile market, at least. NVidia has no mobile chips until December at the earliest.

That's a good point. Here's hoping.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

So obviously the 1070 is the premier value card in the market come next month.

The real question remaining is simple: is the Founders Edition worth the extra money? I could easily see dropping the extra for the Founders edition in lieu of getting a 1080, if that' s a nice middle ground of price/performance between the two lines.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

if founders is for better OC might as well wait for non-reference cards and really crank it up for the best value

That makes sense for sure. Did they mention when non-reference cards will be hitting?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

objects in mirror posted:

So roughly when will these new nvidia cards be widely available while being 15% to 20% cheaper than msrp? Fall? Next Spring?

The value proposition for graphics cards (or at least, nvidia cards) always involves buying the model you want the second it comes out. It never, ever drops enough to make up for the fact that you missed out on having the card for so long.

Waiting 6-12 months for a 15% or even 20% price decrease is ridiculous from any economic standpoint.

The only saving grace would be some kind of coup by Polaris driving down nvidia cards in short order, but that seems... fairly unlikely.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Police Automaton posted:

The 1070 looks kinda attractive but I don't think at current prices. Maybe end of the year for me, till then things also will be a bit stabilized and possible kinks worked out.

This makes no sense. Your other card will continue crashing through the floor in resale value until then. You will also lose 6 months of having the 1070 at the prime of its lifespan, and the 1070 will still be the same general price by year's end.

So basically you'll lose resale value on your existing card, you won't save much if any money, and you won't have the card for 6 months that you could have the card.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Guni posted:

Geez, the new 1070 prices in Australia are a bit hosed, we're looking at around $770AUD, when an AIB 1080 is $1139. Would I be correct in assuming that a 390x at around $500 actually makes sense if one was to only do 1080p?

Just get a used 970.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Graphics card boxes will never, ever, ever change, will they?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

There's a manchild joke in there somewhere.

Isn't that the point? I guess not manchild specifically, but an "inner child" type deal?

It's not like kids were the target market.

Kid has a slick bow tie.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

What's the deal with Amazon getting their 1070 stock late as gently caress? I guess Nvidia sold Newegg some kind of temporary exclusive online retailer agreement or something?

Taima fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 11, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Massdrop is the loving worst unless you literally do not care when it will arrive.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

If I don't hear anything about my preordered Amazon FE 1070 soon, I will literally die in real life.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

We looked at our D&H today and every card has stock coming in about every 2 weeks. Both newegg and amazon use D&H so that should give you an idea on when poo poo will come available.

Wholesale cost on the ASUS 1070 founders edition with an MSRP of $449.99

is $447.70

Ok but Amazon didn't get poo poo this week while Newegg got a bunch, so I'm not sure if this says much in terms of when product may or may not come in on Amazon.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

My impatience is getting the better of me and that EVGA for $400 is tempting me so badly. I've never done the EVGA Step Up program but if I'm reading it correctly I could:

You can get cards right now man. Also I'm not the morality police or anything but that's not exactly what the step up program is for, technically at least.

Literally 15 minutes ago, you could have gotten your mitts on the MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC...

Just do this:

1) Sign up for text alerts on the products you want here:
http://www.nowinstock.net/

2) Make sure you have an account ready at a place where you're trying to buy it (that is basically Newegg for the most part right now)

3) Get text message, buy that poo poo right away.

4) Play video games on your expensive thing you bought.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Fluffnuts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=6202798&SID=

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

edit: never mind apparently was down quickly

Taima fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 15, 2016

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Yea I had one in the cart, but I'm waiting for Amazon to get stock because I have gift cards.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I am guessing that people's carts expire and it becomes available every once in a while... but just speculation

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm picking up my gtx 1080 tonight. I can't wait to play Dirt Rally at a billion fps on my gsync monitor

Everyone should post every time they are about to get a video card. That would really be the thing to make the thread, and by extension, America, great again.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

B&H in stock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1258461-REG/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_founders.html

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

What exactly do people dislike about Windows 10? I'm not sure if I've ever had a bad experience with it, ever. And it's quite fast.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

gently caress Newegg and their ridiculous setup where *somehow, for no reason* they get 90% of the card stock... funny how that works...

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

A scan.uk employee said they are getting shipments of ASUS Rog Strix in batches of 10, lol

Yeah. It's even worse at Amazon- I grabbed a Zotac founders 1070 last night, and they had five come in.

Five.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Are there any reviews for 1070 founders vs aftermarket?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You know what looks really good? Rise of the Tomb raider on a 1070.

Is there anything right now with better graphics? I have the new DOOM but it doesn't seem as nice as Tomb Raider.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

bigmandan posted:

I'm wondering if I should go for a 1070 or a 1080. I have a 60hz 3440x1440 screen. I'm mostly concerned with getting 60fps minimum at medium or better settings. I'm thinking the 1070 might be enough for the next year or so, but not sure after that. Thoughts?

I have a 3440x1440 screen and a 1070.

It's totally fine/good/etc. especially with a nice OC on it. I wouldn't get the 1080 unless you have tons of disposable income.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Seamonster posted:

Massive shitstorm typhoon set to score a direct hit on Taiwan very soon. Even if TSMC avoids being several feet underwater, infrastructure in the area could be hosed for some time.

That seems unlikely to me. Taiwan is well acquainted with powerful cyclones and they don't generally mess around. That being said, this cyclone is extremely impressive.

This cyclone is taking on what is commonly defined as an "annular" presentation. Annular cyclones are less impacted by environmental features that would normally cause high damage to their structure (a land mass like Taiwan, to take a random example).

As a result, a hit on Taiwan will be more damaging than normal to the inhabitants there. It stands to reason, also, that whatever energy is left after Taiwan is going to have more potency when it slams China. And China is already dealing with historic flooding.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

The FE is more expensive and worse, and you pay out the rear end or wait.

I have the FE and like it. Yep, I said it. The cadence of the fan is actually super unobtrusive and it cools very well. It's not loud like some people are saying.

Sure it's loud at high fan settings, but my FE does a full overclock while never reaching into the loud zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

quote:

Some interesting developments.

On 8 May I said that FE was NVIDIA competing with their partners, not just a reference board. I didn't elaborate as I didn't have anything concrete, at best it was a rumour passed on to me.

Lately I've tested +- 60 GTX 1070s and GTX 1080s and I can't say I'm thrilled with the outcome. Basically without fail, FE cards can hold boost speeds of 60-100 MHz higher than customer cards - I've tested Gigabyte G1 Gaming, Gigabyte Xtreme Gamer, MSI Gaming X, EVGA SC, Asus Strix, and FE cards from both Gigabyte and EVGA.

There is a very definite pattern of FE holding speeds significantly faster than customer cards - I'm talking passing GPUPI32B on a FE at speeds that cause a custom card to instantly fail or go into driver recovery.

There's more though, although this needs more testing so take it with a grain of salt. GPUPI1B is consistently around 150ms faster at the same clock speed on FE than G1 Gaming (the only card I've compared it to so far). I saw this completely by accident and it certainly needs more testing.

All in all, from what I've seen, NVIDIA pulled a real #$%^ move by making the FE untouchable by partner cards :/

I forgot to add - 150ms is huge when consecutive runs are varying by under 30ms.

Source: http://www.overclock.net/t/1604713/cb-gtx-1080-which-partner-card-is-the-best/50#post_25337561