Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Ninkobei posted:

It's tomorrow somewhere by now, I'm sure. Where's our benches? dammnit

29th @ 9am ET so that's the holdup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Has anyone tried reapplying thermal paste on the RX480 to see what that does to temps yet?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
How much more will AIBs charge for actual heatsinks on an RX480?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the 1060 will save us right

right :ohdear:

(if they sell it for 300 at all I'm calling it quits this generation and buying a 980ti for that much)

Take the 1070/1080 availability and extrapolate it to a lower price, point higher volume card.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Lots of whining about the 480 on SA, but it's OOS everywhere now and price bumped. AMD seems to have sold out of their initial offering.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Where are the RX470 and GTX1060s? Release them to quell all the RX480 demand so we have more choices already.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I think miners are refreshing hardware which is causing the stock of RX480s to go in the toilet

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Twerk from Home posted:

Right now is not a great time to buy a sub-$400 GPU. If you have that much to spend, you can fire away and be sure to have a good time with your 1070. Everybody poking their heads in here asking "what $200-300 thing should I buy" need to wait for the GTX 1060, RX 470, and whatever software fix AMD has coming.

If you've been out of the game a while, there are good prices on previously used GTX970 / R9 290 / R9 290X / R9 390 right now. Especially so with the AMD chips given their power profile sucks and have been outright replaced by a $200 part so you can haggle pretty well.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
$200 - used 970 / new rx480
$300 - used 980ti
$400 - 1070
:snoop: - 1080

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

MaxxBot posted:

All of the cards are actually 8GB with the 4GB ones having half of their RAM locked out in firmware, just updating the firmware should be able to unlock the full 8GB. I have no idea if the modified firmware is widely available yet though and how difficult it is to update.

w1zzard posted it here

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Just release all the cards to appease demand and increase the availability already ugh. Also mark down the 390/980s thanks

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

FaustianQ posted:

Actually speaking of platform/processor upgrades, I'm currently trying to get a Q9450/HD 6950 to run Overwatch and getting awful frames on medium settings (25-45fps). Which is part is being the worst bottleneck, as chucking the entire system isn't an option.

I have a near identical system, my solution is games from 2013 and before. If you grab a graphics card you should be aware that some may not be compatible if you have a BIOS mb which is likely.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Where are the RX470 leaks

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Probably whatever is available

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

http://videocardz.com/62138/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-reviewers-guide-leaked

July 19th, immediate availability

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Some people in this thread talk about custom loops and others are scared to repaste their gpu with some AS5. Not sure what to make of this.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It's pretty easy, you undo any screws holding the back plate on if the card has one, then undo any other screws on the back, then gently pry the cooler off. It might stick a bit so you use slowly increasing force, if it's really stubborn you check to make sure you really got all the screws and try unscrewing any that are on the I/O area of the card, be careful when the cooler first pops off to undo the cables connecting the fans on the cooler to the card. Remember to keep different types of screws separated and label each type so you know what is what. Once you have the card taken apart you use some isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters to clean the old paste off the GPU and the cooler, just be gentle and you will not break anything, it takes a lot of force to break these things. Once it is clean you repaste and put the cooler back on, use plenty of paste since you want to make sure every bit of the die is covered, remember to reconnect the fan cables, it would suck to have to do everything over again because you forgot. For an AIO+Bracket if you are using one just follow the instructions that come with your bracket when it comes to installing it.

I can understand being nervous about doing this sort of thing but it really is quite easy. Try watching some videos on youtube of people doing stuff like this, it should help with your confidence levels.

EDIT: One thing to keep in mind is that installing a CPU cooler and pasting that is actually more risky, sockets on mobos are more fragile than GPUs, you risk getting paste down into the socket if you use way too much which is potentially a dead mobo, the systems for securing the CPU cooler to the mobo are generally more complex than anything a GPU would use and so on, you have actually already done something more risky and difficult than repasting a GPU.

Another thing to consider is if it's that sticky fire up a game or benchmark to warm the compound prior to removing the heatsink, alternatively warm the heat sink directly with a blow dryer while twisting and pulling gently.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
If you didn't have a tornado on top of your 2500+ how else would you have reached the promised land?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
The list of Nvidia optimized games is shrinking because consoles.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

Jesus that's a long card! According to Corsair, my 550D has a max gpu length of 318, and the tower I was planning on getting, the 750D, is the same. Looks like I'm back to square 1 on my next build :v:

Just use some metal snips and make it fit

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Still waiting on custom rx480s ugh gonna check back in 2 weeks

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I'm hoping the 1060 will help alleviate demand but probably not.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Does *sync fix the problem of having to feed monitors video cards? I remember buying a 2005FPW in '05 and buying a card every year because the resolution was considered enthusiast for a long time. Seems like > 1080p gaming is pretty :retrogames:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
At the time the FX competed directly against the EE chips, also $1000. You keep on hating AMD tho.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I found a new R9 390 for $220, and they throw in Warhammer which I can pawn for $25-30, so a 8G 390 for under $200 seems good to me, especially in comparison to RX 480 @ 270

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Green Gloves posted:

Link for the 390? This and that powercolor 380x I posted yesterday are pretty decent values. I am running a 380 and its really great actually, runs quiet and temps stay at 75-80*C full load.

http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-radeon-r9-390-twinfrozr-06-110321.htm :canada: price though, may need to wait a while

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

In case anyone is on this, expected to ship 1st week of August.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
RX 480 announced at $200, third party is basically $260-270 and still has extremely high demand :iamafag: The value against a 1060 seems completely eroded unless you truly believe in the brand or DX12/Vulkan.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
I wonder how the 470 would compare to the 970/980/390, but we will have to wait for benchmarks or word that such a chip is being released before october

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

they had to use four gpus to do it though

The newer solution also has a colour advantage as well, something to consider.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
http://videocardz.com/62672/amd-radeon-rx-470-and-radeon-rx-460-official-specs-and-performance

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
RX 480 CAD Pricing :lol:

Sapphire Nitro+ 8GB $384.98
Sapphire Nitro+ OC 8GB $399.98

I got a 390 on order for $270ish ($320-20-30) :lol:

edit: some guy got a refurb 390X for the same price :argh:

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 27, 2016

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Rumour is that RX470 benchmarks are out tomorrow

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
4K at less than 60 fps or without using *sync seems like a bad experience if you are playing a real time game

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Toebone posted:

I'm about to buy a used 970 from a friend to replace my 560 Ti, is this refund / recall thing something I should be concern about at all?

Your friend can claim the $30 and you will have 3.5gb vram, otherwise no

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Power draw aside, you can get a new 390 for the price of a 470. Very disappointing with pricing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

It's been 24 hours and no shipping notice from Canada Computers. Time to see whats up and if nothing by Monday cancel that poo poo.

Seems they are only good for price matching.

I'm gonna get my cheap 390 from NCIX in another 2 weeks for a total time of 4 weeks :jeb:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Why don't they run afterburner or something and log the gpu temps/clockspeeds? Seems pretty basic

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

But then the newer than Volta thing is shown.... you may need to wait till 2019! :engleft:

He's not wrong really, if you want to play at 4k, unless you have a (new) Titan your min fps will be under 60 which may or may not be acceptable to you without a *sync display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

No female on the blower this time :(