Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

EdEddnEddy posted:

Elite Dangerous and Project Cars (and I guess Asseto Corsa now too) are the VR performance one that will eat alive a single GPU VR setup. (And SLI doesn't work in VR yet).

No kidding. For project CARS on my overclocked 290x I had to turn everything down to medium settings to ensure a solid framerate. That's not a huge drop in visual quality considering the resolution of current VR headsets, but its enough to get me thinking of buying a 1080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

This is a dell issue? I thought this was just an issue with my bog-standard korean monitor, then when I got the dell I just thought it was an issue endemic to Win10. ffs

e: i like that the official dell advice to fix this for their 4k monitor is to make it refresh at 30hz. lmao. http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN295708/EN

It does seem to be a Dell issue, but it also seems to have the most impact on Windows 10. It actually causes Surface Pro 3s on W10 to occasionally BSOD when entering or exiting sleep mode if the monitor is plugged in. Of course none of the people affected by this at my work are willing to replace their Dell monitors or Surface.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ETPC posted:

Non-FE 1080/1070 cards won't start appearing until August, right? I want to get a 1070 but it's $600 CDN and gently caress that.

No? Most stores have non-FE listed, just very supply limited. I ordered a Gigabyte 1080 G1 from NCIX yesterday that was supposedly in stock.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

ETPC posted:

Has anyone actually managed to find a non-FE 1070 for MSRP yet? I'm in Canada and they are still in the $600+ range here :(

I ordered a ZOTAC AMP when they were in stock on Monday. $574 is the best I've seen in Canada for the 1070.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500400

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

wicka posted:

did newegg go public or get sold or otherwise have a change of leadership? they used to be the gold standard, now their customer service is crap.

I hadn't ordered from them in a long time, and now my 1070 may or may not be waiting on my doorstep because Newegg apparently stopped requiring signatures for Purolator shipments. It's also been raining all afternoon :ohdear:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

bigmandan posted:

:negative:

I checked my order and it said it was shipping from the US, so hopefully that means Purolator/UPS and not USPS -> Canada Post.

The card I ordered from newegg.ca last week shipped through purolator. Just watch out because they don't require signatures anymore and they'll just leave it on your doorstep.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Last night I took apart my Zotac 1070 to try and fix a broken fan. This is way too much thermal paste, right?

When I reassembled it I used the same amount thermal paste that I put on CPUs. Is that enough for a GPU? I didn't want to push my luck with the fan by stress testing it. I got the fan spinning again, but the plastic center of the fan blade is cracked almost straight across the diameter. It's basically being held together by the Zotac sticker and makes worrying noises at high speeds.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Ok, thanks.

Are there any aftermarket GPU coolers that anyone would recommend? I'm having a hard time finding a replacement fan that would fit my existing cooler (ZT-P10700C-10P).

E: On the other hand I've got a bunch of old GPUs at home. I'm sure I can rig something up :getin:

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 20, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

So I went ahead and ordered 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans to replace my broken cooler. It seemed to be the cheapest option, ~$65 Canadian for everything shipped.

I was initially disappointed because temps are a bit worse than stock. Then I checked the airflow and realised I had mounted the fans backwards. :downs: I'll post pics once I get some better zip ties and flip the fans. The "Premium Heat Resistant" ties I got off Amazon are so brittle I break ~5 for every 1 I manage to pull tight enough to hold a fan.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Ran Heaven Benchmark for an hour and the temp hovered around 73c. Haven't tried overclocking yet. The fans are connected to the mobo while I'm waiting for the adaptor to come in the mail. Even at 100% these things hardly make any noise, so I might not even bother trying to control them with the 1070.

Honestly I'm just happy I was able to fix it without spending hundreds of $.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Unfortunately it seems that function doesn't work for z370. My BIOS has a similar feature that lets me tie case fans to the PCIx port temp, but not the GPU temp. But I just installed the Gigabyte fan control software, and apparently those fans were dropping in speed once windows booted. Setting them to 100% in the app is audibly louder, and drops my max temp on the same benchmark* to 62C. Overclocking to 1987MHz brought that to 65C. Limiting to 60fps brought that to 53C.

* Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4, Ultra @ 1440p.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

There's also this Powershell Script which grabs the latest from Nvidia's site and installs it with GeForce Experience disabled.

E: if you edit that script to remove the interactive elements you could schedule it to check for updates once a month or something.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 27, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I found a way to use the PCI ambient temp to controll the 120mm fans on my GPU. The GUI is very restrictive on what kind of fan curve you can set, so I started loving around with the xml. I managed to make a fan curve that turns the fans off at idle and ~ 700rpm on a medium load.

Screenshot taken with 50% gpu load for 30 min. I'll probably have to tweak the values when summer hits, but it's working beautifully for now.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I hope 30 series cards actually do become more available soon, I'm still using a 1070 with a couple case fans strapped to the heatsink from when the original fans died a couple years ago. That solution works well enough that I didn't feel the need to replace it with a 20 series card. It actually cools the card better than the stock Zotac fans did, plus it matches my CPU fan :v:.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Just ordered a 6700XT. Memory Express has the Gigabyte :siren:GAMING:siren: RX 6700 XT OC 12GB in stock for 999 CDN$ (~808 USD). I was going to hold out for a 3070 but I'm too impatient I guess. My monitor is both freesync and gync compatible, and hopefully the 12GB VRAM will be worth it. GAMING is in all caps in the actual product name.

E:
Coming from a 1070 and using a 1440p 144hz monitor. I'm fine with games not reaching the full 144 fps so long as Freesync works.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jul 5, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Dude, that's literally worse than scalper prices. If you still can, cancel the order and buy one from ebay for cheaper (or wait another week or two for it to go down even more)

edit: This probably comes off as harsher than intended. Ebay prices (I checked canadian ebay) are often lower but not by much, and it varies. I'm mostly just angry at retailers that charge scalper prices directly. The situation will improve way more slowly with assholes like them trying to profit off the availability shortage.

Yeah, I cancelled it. I shouldn't have been looking at graphics cards in the middle of the night while on strong pain meds for an ear infection :v:. I can wait a few more months for prices to drop or better cards to be available.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

I have a CRT at my desk that I use for older PC games and my Dreamcast. The Dreamcast looks great on a CRT and outputs 480p instead of 480i when using the VGA adapter :hellyeah:

My primary monitor won't go below 800x600 so I have to use it for a lot of DOS era games if I want fullscreen.

E: for modern games Streets of Rage 4 looks really good on CRT.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 4, 2021

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Shumagorath posted:

Nice! At this point I'm more worried about UPS than CBSA.

I ordered from them recently and only got sales tax + a $10 import handling fee. Apparently you only get the crazy import fees if you use the cheapest UPS tier, which EVGA no longer offers for Canadian orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Kibner posted:

My only issues have been no "verify files and repair" function, updates often lag behind the other stores, and trying to reassociate games stored on a different drive/partition after a Windows reinstall is a fool's errand.

You should use the Xbox app for games instead of the regular MS store, it can do all those things.