Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
This might be common knowledge to many of you but I foolishly didn't do enough research before hand.

Avoid any 7950 with the boost bios like the plague.

It's a total nightmare to use. Because the boost state goes to 1.25v you hit the power threshold for the card instantly so the card flips between 850 and 925 causing huge fluctuations in GPU load. You can overcome this by putting the power slider to 16% and above but this doesn't completely alleviate the problem as you now have a card that gets incredibly hot and eats power. Changing the voltage also doesn't work as every piece of software only alters the base voltage, the boost voltage stays at 1.25v.

In the end I've flashed a 7970 bios (couldn't find a 7950 bios for my card that would stick) and I've now got a card with lower voltage, outperforming the boost bios in every way. Now that I've got the card performing like I want to it's excellent and would recommend it to anyone, just avoid the boost versions.

I have no idea what AMD were thinking when they put that bios out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Eletriarnation posted:

1080 is far faster than anything AMD is offering or will in the near future, probably twice as fast as the RX480 typically. If you want maximum speed for 4K right now then you need to go Nvidia.

Isn't vega going to be aimed at 1080 rumoured to be as soon as October now?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 16, 2016

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So with dX12, is the 480 gonna pull out ahead of the 1060 or is the initial 'amd is more future proof' more a current driver thing?

edit

And are Gainward any good? There's a 1060 at £240 from them, but I've honestly never heard of them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2016

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

repiv posted:

They seem to be basically equal in DX12. The 480 does pull ahead significantly in Hitman DX12, but AMD crushes that game even in DX11 mode so I wouldn't read too much into its DX12 performance.

My concern is all this async talk, I honestly haven't been keeping up to date with GPU information. But from what I gather the 1060,1070 and 1080 don't support it properly? Or maybe its just the drivers.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So the realization just hit that we have aftermarket 1060's out on the market, some even for MSRP. The RX 480 looks like it still won't see aftermarket cards for another 3 weeks or so. There hasn't even been any significant stock of reference RX 480's here in the US since launch on top of no aftermarket card.

What the gently caress are AMD and its partners doing.

I've been dead set on a 480 for a while. Just pulled the trigger on a 1060. AMD just seem determined to push themselves into irrelevancy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It appears to me the 480 gets a much smaller DX12 boost due to reasons someone explained to me and I promptly forgot.

Vulkan contains a ton of code from Mantle, AMDs discarded API. that's bound to play a factor, at least to begin with.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

mango sentinel posted:

I asked before but didn't see an answer. When do these actually tend to start showing up at retail?

As when you can buy one? Now, mine arrives tomorrow.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

jabro posted:

I got one of the LG 34" 1080p ultrawide monitors on Prime Day. It is Freesync so thought about getting a RX 480 to take advantage of it since my 770ti is making me drop my graphics lower than I like. Since they are out of stock until whenever is freesync a good enough of a thing where I should wait instead of getting a 1060 now?

While I think the 1060 is a slightly better card, that advantage dwindles with *sync on the table. Wait for a 480.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

NihilCredo posted:

I was getting ready to dig into the AIB 1060 comparatives (so far it's looking like I'm going Palit again), but then I had a thought...

What is everybody's best guess about the % of AAA games that will support Vulkan in 2017-2018? Seems to me that if the answer is "a lot", I might end up regretting not going team red this time.

It's likely more games will be dx12 than vulkan and even then it will be 2018 when dx12 and vulkan truly become default. Choosing between the 480 and 1060 comes down to what you want from it.

If you want the card to last about 2 years and/or you tend to not play games close to launch then the 1060 is gonna be a better bet.

If you want to keep the card for 3+ years and like to play the latest games, then the 480 might be better. AMD cards have always aged better and the 480 definitely will over the 1060 eventually.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 21, 2016

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Wait, in your scenario, why would you buy the 1060 at all?

I only want it for 2 years and I own 0 dx12/vulkan games. I haven't even got around to playing GTAV yet. For my planned use the 1060 is the better card.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

So now the 4070 is out. We going to see a response from AMD at all soon? 7700/7800?

Right now it seems both companies don't really care about competing and this whole generation is gonna suck.

Could just pick up a 6800xt for £500ish I guess.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

As a 6800xt owner

Don't buy AMD

I'm a Linux user. So it's the other way around for me.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Taima posted:

I've been seeing more people talking about gaming on Linux, is it good now or is it still firmly in the "kind of odd people do it for personal reasons" category?

Aren't most games still running through extra layers that add overhead and/or jankiness to the experience?

Steam deck has completely changed the landscape. But it depends on what you play. If you are mostly playing singleplayer games through steam then its a pretty smooth experience, you lose maybe 10-15fps, some games actually run better weirdly.
For multiplayer games, anti-cheat makes it a toss up, some support proton, some do not.

As for games outside of steam, things like lutris and heroic game launcher have made it much easier but its not quite as easy as steam.

https://www.protondb.com/ is invaluable.

For cards, Linux is opposite land to windows, Nvidia have propriety drivers that can be a massive pain in the arse to get working, depending on your linux flavour of choice. AMD however scrapped their drivers and redid them from scratch and open source, so they are baked into the linux kernel now and work out of the box flawlessly.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

bone emulator posted:

Do I need a new PSU if I get a 4070? I have a 500 or 550W now.

Nvidia recommend a minimum of 650w, so yes.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 19, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's due to the power spikes all these GPUs have isn't it?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Instead of trying to make interesting games, the big publishers are just currently chasing trend after trend.

I don't see how this is an issue just for the PC market though, it effects consoles too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

What's even left of this generation? 7700/7800 when the last gen cards finally sell out? Which at this rate will be 6 months+

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah I like the seperation of concerns two monitors gives. It's purely mental but it works so much better for me.

Oh 6800XTs started to creep below £500.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Indeed. How is this tolerated by the users and press? I really regret my choice now as I don't life to babysit my freaking video card.

Because it's not the experience everyone gets :shrug:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Taima posted:

Oh? The two linux people I know have been assuring me that linux is nearly as easy and more powerful to use than windows and its day of mainstream dominance is right around the corner. Next year is the year of linux for sure. That's been the refrain for *checks notes* infinity years running.

If you're running an AMD GPU they are right that it's pretty great these days.
Nvidias Linux support has historically been awful to the point of the creator of Linux repeatedly putting them on blast for it.

Paul MaudDib posted:

NVIDIA got their kernelland into the kernel upstream a while ago, iirc?.

Yes but it's not there quite yet. If your running a nvidia GPU you still want to spend the time wrestling with their proprietary drivers if you want decent performance. It's very promising though and shows Nvidia have finally turned a corner on their Linux support. (Probably because of the steam deck)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Lol Zoom has a Linux app.
When it comes to boring work-related apps, unless they are Microsoft owned they probably work on Linux.

It's the creative apps that are missing, Adobe etc.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 28, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Zoom is a piece of poo poo regardless of platform you are running it on.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

shrike82 posted:

Zoom is bad on Windows and even worse on Linux

We recently switched from Teams to Zoom. I still can't decide which is worse though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Google Butt posted:

idk i just use slack for everything

Slacks great for text. It's got poo poo video call support though.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

To many words

Do you just Label everything that's even slightly critical of Nvidia as clickbait?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

AI researchers that don't have big bucks usually rent servers with GPU in it. This is a short summary about Azure choices https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/sizes-gpu.
So you are going to see the big buyers (Microsoft, Amazon and Google) grabbing GPU silicon in bulk, then the big spender onprem datacenter operators(like university and other government entities) and then the consumer space.

A nearby university datacenter purchased NV Teslas by the pallet for god knows what amount when the big miner craze was in full effect and got the card in give or take months from the order.

To add to this there are also hobbiests. Lots of people are currently playing with ML and LLM in their home pcs using just high end off the shelf Nvidia GPUs.
I don't think it will be like the crypto days, but those people will be competing for stock with gamers.

I think the AI hype train is going a little too hard, but there is little doubt Nvidia is going to make a huge amount of money over the next 5 years it takes competitors to even catch up and try and compete in that space.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yudo posted:

Lol, nice. That isn't bad at all. Is that gpt-4? Perhaps my prompt-fu is lacking.

The future doesn't have flying cars, but at least there will be a chatbot psychotherapist to make me feel better about it.

Seeing as a LLM has already convinced at least one person to kill themselves, I'd advise you just get a traditional therapist.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Animal posted:

I don't watch LTT because Linus is an obnoxious person. I don't understand how anyone can willingly sit and watch him shriek for 10 minutes.

His main demographic is pretty young these days. He's said so himself. Its why they switched to the thumbnail pattern popular with gaming channels aimed at kids.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jesus. That young women they hired after she won a competition but quit unexpectedly has unloaded on Twitter the reasons why. TLDR ridiculous pressure, time limits and what sounds like gaslighting from leadership.

I can honestly see Linus (or whomever is CEO now) hiring a full PR fix team over the damage this week has done to the brand.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Branch Nvidian posted:

2. It's a Sapphire Pulse model which doesn't have a vbios switch (the Nitro model does).

Oh , when did sapphire stop adding the BIOS switch to pulse cards? My 5700xt has one

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well that's good to know. I've always liked the pulse cards but if they have dropped the switch I'll avoid them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Are you sure it's not Bethesda just being incompetent? Its Bethesda after all.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Defending this is insane.

No one's defending it. Just people making fun of when consumers pick and choose which anti-competetive practices they want to get mad at and pretend either AMD, Nvidia or intel are the 'good guy'.

I mostly think it's very funny that AMD think this is in anyway going to help them.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

spunkshui posted:

Give an example then.

Show me an another example software that has a paid sponsorship to make some hardware features not work.

Microsoft have been doing this for almost their entire history.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

spunkshui posted:

But can I get an example?

Everyone keeps saying that a whole bunch of companies do it all the time well, then shouldn’t be really easy to give an example?

I’m looking for a program that has a 3rd party hardware feature that would be basically normal for it to be present, but it’s not present due to a sponsorship.

Not like tesla locking you out of their own features that they sell, but like a different company locking you out of a feature that would be inside of your own car normally.

Ok.
For years Microsoft required OEMs to ship with a signed key that would block Linux installation.
There history is riddled with anti competitive stuff like this. Its why the EU has fined them so many times.
Even now edge will actively try and hinder you installing chrome.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Funniest one to me is game exclusives on console. When it's a studio Sony or Microsoft own then whatever, but them buying up studios is fairly recent, it used to just be a wod of cash to just not release it on the competitors hardware.

And what's worse, somehow they got consumers to celebrate it

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKr9wcQyyHo

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I wouldn't call it "actively hindering" as much as sad and pathetic every time you use Edge to download Chrome on a new Windows install you get faced with a couple "Please give us a chance it's a good browser we swear :saddowns: messages.

I had my father in law phone me up asking why the computer was telling him that chrome isn't safe to use when I had recommended it. It comes across as silly and desperate to us but its a trick some people will fall for.

spunkshui posted:

Unfortunately it is presently difficult to divorce oneself from windows.

Thanks to Valves proton its easier than its ever been.
Even NVidia have given in and released some open source drivers for the linux kernel.

Zero VGS posted:

Imagine installing Chrome instead of Firefox...

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 18, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you're gonna be REALLY nitpicky. Then VRR :actually: dates back to the 70s in vector displays.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If power efficiency is important they might be an interesting buy in that regard as the 6800xt is pretty poor in that area. But I also don't see how AMD are going to price this and make it all that interesting.
If the 6800 and 6800xt were all sold out it might be different but there are still loads available new on the market at $350-$500 which is gonna be tough to beat if they want $550 and $650 for the new cards.
There is also the 6950xt available for under $600ish which the 7800xt probably won't beat.

Its basically impossible to release these cards without either disappointing consumers or screwing over their retail partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Truga posted:

lmao someone's gonna crack that bullshit day one cmon son

I'm sure they know. But if it even gets only 5% of its users to atleast throw him $5 once, that's a good chunk of change.